Should Jagex make RS a one-server game?

This comes from a suggestion in the Rants section, regarding a thread about abusive language. One poster there suggested an idea that, in my opinion, is a very logical and practical way of dealing the amount of rule breakers and the general hostile attitude of some players that play RS, and I want to elabourate on it. The thread is here, and the relevent post is:

I think that the base reason for there be so much abusive langauge/behaviour present in runescape, is every players ability to switch server.

On every other MMO ive played, the servers are fixed with a population which can rarely be changed, players MUST play nice to their fellow gamers otherwise they will face severe social implications with the rest of the server.

The poster suggested that Jagex should close off the option of so-called 'World Hopping'. By this, I mean the right to play the game on whatever server the player so desires, and forcing them to spend their RS career on one server. I like this idea. It forces people into a community that they have to cooperate with, or else have their in-game development hindered. It forces people not to use things like abusive language, and to actually contribute something in order to progress in the game. The game would also become more socially-minded. It would no longer be the case as is, which is that you can do near enough whatever you like, and not have to compensate for your actions. Under this idea, if you did something which the majority of the server you're placed in doesn't agree with, you'll be hit hard through the fact that not as many people would be willing to cooperate or trade with you. Under this logic, people would be forced to be pleasent, and would have a spirit of being a part of a community with real people, and not "just pixels".

This also reflects the medieval society RS is supposed to be set in. In medieval times, people were dependant on one-another for their own development. For example, if a fisher fell out of favour with their village, people in the village starved through a lack of food. They were dependant on that fisher for their own survival. I think this is an attitude that should be encouraged in RS. At the end of the day, we're dependant on other players for our own development in many areas of the game, and this should be reflected in in-game mechanisms.

I want to discuss people's attitudes to this, and if Jagex were to do this, how would they go about doing this?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, that would really suck. There are games like that, and it's really, really hard to find something to buy it, because there are many, separate economies. And if a training spot is packed, then I guess you'd be out of luck.

It wouldn't work because we got an economy. Your idea is like WoW and each server has a different economy. Weapon A might be worth 45 gold in Server 1 and 86 gold in Server 2. RuneScape however, has the biggest economy in a MMORPG. It's because you can trade with people in mutliple servers. If you cut the servers off, then you cut the economy. Without the economy, prices rise and dive in a series of roller coasters. Trading would be hell in RS after that... No economy, no RuneScape.

I mean, its a great idea, but if we apply this to RuneScape we pretty much kill RuneScape.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

It wouldn't work because we got an economy. Your idea is like WoW and each server has a different economy. Weapon A might be worth 45 gold in Server 1 and 86 gold in Server 2. RuneScape however, has the biggest economy in a MMORPG. It's because you can trade with people in mutliple servers. If you cut the servers off, then you cut the economy. Without the economy, prices rise and dive in a series of roller coasters. Trading would be hell in RS after that... No economy, no RuneScape.

I mean, its a great idea, but if we apply this to RuneScape we pretty much kill RuneScape.

That's a very valid point, I partly agree. But do you not agree that perhaps the sheer amount of traders in RS means that a person can effectively act however they so please (even offensively), and not be made accountable for their actions, as they'll just go off and find some other trader?

I don't agree that it would necessarily kill RS. I don't know how WoW works (never played it), but if what you say is true then that argument runs counter to itself. WoW isn't dead, yet it adopts this policy, so how would RS be any different? I think that the economy would change drastically, of course, but wouldn't "die".

As for the point about Item X being different in one world than the other? Well, isn't that really how the real world used to work? In Egypt, there would have been a lot more gemstones than in, say, London, so gemstones would have been less value in Egypt than London. That kind of situation I think forces people into a sense of cooperation and involvement in something much bigger than their own self-inflated egos (which does seem to be a problem with a lot of people in RS), because essentially they have to contribute, or get left behind.

Also, perhaps Jagex could provide a way of trading items from one world to the others? That way, prices wouldn't necessarily be all that hurt because the economy isn't "cut". You could almost set up a shop for your world and 'export' goods to another world. Jagex likes to teach people about the real world. Well, what better way to teach someone about how an economy works than by actually forcing players to be involved into it and learn for themselves through the game?

I don't think it could actually work well. A lot of resource collecting are preferred without competition like mining, wc etc. Usually when players find a world with a mining guild packed, they would world hop in hopes of finding a emptier mining guild where mining coal/mith is faster for them and increases their productivity.

With the current amounts of such training spots out there, single server RS just is not good with the massive amount of players for several reasons:

- The current amount of training spots for mining/hunter/wc is simply not enough to substain the tens thousands of players using those spots. Like red chimchompa hunting, practiced by hunters lvl 63-99, yet only 3 spots that spawns red chimchompas. Until Jagex greatly increases the amount of training spots, exp gaining for these skills will be extremely slow. (If you tried to train hunter on the first day it came out, you will know what i mean) Such fierce competition usually results in frustration and therefore may become a source of conflict between skillers.

- Boss monsters only have 1 spawn in the whole server and is widely killed for the rare items they give. If boss monsters actually stay as single spawn in a single server rs, like the last point, everyone will be competing to fight them, like hundred of players on a dagonnoth rex. Their supply for their rare drops will go down drastically and prices skyrocket. Not the kind of effect you will like.

- Trading is usually done in first few worlds in the world select page at selected areas. In a single server RS, trading and normal gameplay would clash and normal players find extreme lag the second they teleport into fally. A proposed solution would be player owned shops but maybe separated from the real world which a free lvl 1 magic spell allows you to teleport there? :-k

- Most players prefer to play in servers which belong to the country they are in to minimise lag in gameplay. If single server was implemented, which country would this server belong to?

Last point I have to make is that how will f2p and p2p players coexist at the same time in a single server RS? Existance of f2p and members objects may be one of the reasons separating f2p and p2p worlds is necessary.

Strangely with WotLK so near, I wished I could delay it a bit to push through that last TBC content in MH/BT :'(.

really not a good idea economically. Some worlds having more phats than others? Tons of small economies? There are many times when you would want to switch words too.

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

I think alot of people are missing the point here. He isn't saying RuneScape should only have 1 server. He's saying it should be more like other games. You create a new account. You go to log in. You are shown a list of 150 or so servers. You choose server 37. From then on, that character can only ever log in to server 37.

Look, if your mom still drops you off at school, you ain't gangsta, pull up your damn pants!

142qvyv.jpg

3 down, 7 to go

I think it should stay the same. RS already has an established economy and changing it as big as this would be a bad move definitely. Clans and other minigames/events often have a dedicated world where they can all meet. Clans would have major problems forming. There would be many other problems as well.

As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" :wink:

Mamong.png

336489.jpg

[Tip.It Mod][Retired][Add your Steam name here!]

Prepare to lose the connection every second. Really, RuneScape has over 200,000 people playing on a weekend. Do you think you can handle 100,000 people in Falador at a time? I speak for almost everyone when I say "No.".
You have the wrong idea.

There are multiple servers, however, each player is assigned to a random one. The players have to stay in that world. This takes out the whole idea of world hopping. Each world would have it's own separate economy and such.

Personally, I think this is a horrible idea. \'

Quit RS, combat 104, total 1651

ugafan2009.png

I believe that the economy will fix itself out. Prices would temporarily be unstable. But as the demand and supply factors begin to apply. Then the prices will balance out.

At first, prices would just be like this: ^^^^^^^^^,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,^,^,^,^,^. (With ^ being a rice increase. and , being a price decrease.)(This shows that it would be unstable. Not neccessarily occuring like that.)

But soon the community would get ideas on how rare or common these items would be. So prices stabilise.

Besides, if there's low supply but high demand for something. People would go out to get it.

But there are other problems:

1) Rs has a demo and a Fully playable version. After you make an account, if you choose a demo world and are f2p. You can never become members. And vice versa.

2) The community won't change. I don't understand how it would. After all, being with an irritating person for longer makes it worse does it not?

3) Some worlds would get rejected. Most would choose popular worlds. And the not-so-popular worlds would have no one in them.

4) What about all those who already have accounts? Then they would not be able to trade etc from friends who go into different worlds. all they can do is talk.

But other than that, the community's fine.

I think it would be ok, although you would have to make larger servers, and only have maybe 10 in total.

if you did this it wouldnt affect the economy as much. Also people would need a choice so they can choose the same server as there friends.

You would have to be able to change servers also, not like now but go through a process to change to another server - you can in WOW I think.

I cant see why they would do it though, as it would cost the same as now for jagex pretty much.

barrowsmguthan,bob%20baldrick.gif

Different servers can be a lot of fun, each server having it's particularities, older and newer servers having different pros and cons (such as older servers having more crowded training spots, but lower prices) also the community is greatly reduced so it's actually possible to orge a name for yourself in a small server where you eventually come to know the more elite players.

But, like some others mentioned, there would be problems with minigames. Solution; reduce the thoughness and reduce the amount of players needed to do it. Also, with servers larger than 2000 players, it's going to be easier to find players for minigames.

But I have to agree that servers with more or less phats wouldn't be very fun. Imagine being on a server where it costs 2x than in another because of rarity?

But, multiple servers would help prevent hacking, or atleast discourage it, since money and items collected are of no use if they are not on the server of the character you play with.

2480+ total

o geez thats just me thinking about what if there was only 1 server, nothing about the economy i dont wanna even consider how crazy that would be. id quit honestly.

You obviously missed the point.

I think alot of people are missing the point here. He isn't saying RuneScape should only have 1 server. He's saying it should be more like other games. You create a new account. You go to log in. You are shown a list of 150 or so servers. You choose server 37. From then on, that character can only ever log in to server 37.

2480+ total

Simply knowing that I would never have met most of my current friends if runescape worked like this, I have to say that this would not be a very good idea. If not for some of them, I wouldn't still be playing today. Another thing, what happens when you get P2P? You would then have to switch worlds, would you not? Or would it be only F2P again? Or 100% P2P? Either way, I say no to this idea.

The multiple server aspect of Runescape is something that makes it unique. It allows you to form parties with people you meet elsewhere, without having to create another account. The ability to move to a less crowded server makes training at slow respawns less infuriating. We have 'special' servers for activities such as trading and mini games, where we're certain to find others to participate with. Most importantly, it's not just like WoW. Honestly, the best thing about Runescape is that it doesn't try to imitate other MMORPGs; why eliminate one of its most unique features in a vain attempt to combat a problem encountered everywhere on and off-line?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and say the opposite.

~Sam Levenson

Wow way to savage the OP guys, nice one.

Firstly it seems a lot of people don't understand it, obviously there isn't just going to be one server with 1,000,000+ people on it, learn to read before you spite people.

Secondly obviously there are disadvantages and advantages that's the point of debate - NOT to just shout it down.

Personally I don't mind, both methods have good and bad sides but I feel that because RS has always been a switchable server game the community has developed so - PC clans, PK clans, trading and merchanting, switching to find rune rocks, training spots and a myriad of others. Other games like WoW have begun as a single server and probably have a community to reflect that.

So no, I don't think they should, not because of the downsides of the system, but because of the problem of transferring between the two.

Besides all of the problems that it would create on runescape's economy, it would also make it impossible for lower lvl players to have any chance at training. Lower lvl training areas would be so packed that unless it was a multi-combat area (which actually may make the problem worse) There would be no way (or really difficult) for anyone with a lower lvl to train.

sig2-1.png

Last.Fm

My Bloggy

Proud to have served on Tip.it Crew