Should Jagex make RS a one-server game?

this has some problems that would hurt minigames that people hop severs

to find a sutable amount of people to play the minigame

with people limited to one sever you could no longer be able to go on world 104 for trouble brewing or world 78 for pc

and clans would be limited to the number of people they can draw from

the main problems with an mmo is that other then two major clans that have some representation on nearly all severs small clans revolve around one active or carismatic leader and when he leaves the clan falls apart

you can't force poeple to be nice if you force them to be together trust me

it was the fouth of my uncle's devorces that my famiy figured that out :lol:

[hide=]

Wow... I just scanned it with my new high tech program called "common sense" and it detected a scam.

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to breed.

Gee, for someone with "billions and billions on multiple accounts", you sure whine a lot.
[/hide]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The economy would die, and its tombstone would be a small pile of rubble.

I say no.

Basically, if everyone was on one server, you'd have to make different accounts and DROP TRADE (:o) to trade with the person, who was assigned to their own world. +, that would absolutely kill training, because if world 111 has 28 people training at moss giants, that means you have to wait there for a decent opportunity.

Gf, its a no.

xTCOx Rogue

Assuming we could pick what world we were in, it would create an interesting dilemna, what would become of the tip.it community on world 99? We'd be an unofficial uber-clan.

Another thing is all P2P players should get to pick an F2P world as well as a P2P world so we have a place to go if membership lapses.

Elvarg the Magic Dragon, Lives by the sea...

He spends his days eating folk, And dies occasionally

Champion-Hero-Legend

Prepare to lose the connection every second. Really, RuneScape has over 200,000 people playing on a weekend. Do you think you can handle 100,000 people in Falador at a time? I speak for almost everyone when I say "No.".
You have the wrong idea.

There are multiple servers, however, each player is assigned to a random one. The players have to stay in that world. This takes out the whole idea of world hopping. Each world would have it's own separate economy and such.

Personally, I think this is a horrible idea. \'

Oh, sorry for being so stupid... :wall: This is even worse than the one server thing. :XD:

My F2P Moneymaking Guide!

Always gargle before a takeoff. Wakka Wakka!

runescape wouldn't exist anymore. The main part of RS (many people dissagree, but it is) is money making. skills=monkey making monster hunting=money making minigames (some)=moneky making. if the one hugse parr of RS was cut off, World 2/merchanting/world hop runes/world hop other shops/world hop for training spots would be no more.

horrible idea

99 Fletching 99 Attack 99 Constitution 99 Cooking 99 Strength

Gamertag: H8tebringer

h8tebringer-siggy-bloodskull-1.jpg

I reember adventure quest and the bordom of having to get up at 5 in the morning to get on its ONE surver.

NOT FOR RUNESCAPE.

gazzy.jpg

Are you sick and tired of people telling you what to put in your sig? So am I. No, don't put this in your sig, you'll be doing what THEY want!

I reember adventure quest and the bordom of having to get up at 5 in the morning to get on its ONE surver.

NOT FOR RUNESCAPE.

Unless I am reading it wrong, it looks like you have mistaken the idea. It doesn't mean there will be only one server. There will still be many servers but you only get to use one. So, if you started on World 37, you stay on World 37. There is no longer a World 1, 2, etc. for you.

If Jagex implemented this for their game I wouldn't be able to meet up with my friends on other servers. And it would do really weird things to the game as a whole, especially economically. Maybe this would've been a good idea when the game was in its infancy, but it's totally out of line today.

I also think it wouldn't fit in with the spirit of the game, which is supposed to involve the freedom to do things like switch worlds.

Unless you could find a way to condense all of runescape into a just a few worlds, this idea wouldn't work.

Hmm... you all speak very good points that I hadn't really considered, and you're all right. With hindsight, even with the BIG benefit it would have, the downsides far outweigh this.

Just one point I'd like to touch on:

This isn't World of Warcraft

Fair enough, you've chosen to play RS, but can you honestly say that every single thing in RS is better than WoW (apart from graphics, which is fairly obvious)? This attitude annoys me, because like it or not, RSers are gonna have to accept that there are some things the designers of WoW do better than the Gowers, simply because they have more experience, and that the Gowers really should look towards them for inspiration instead of digging their heels in the sand, with the majority of the RS community blindly supporting them with an almost war-like patriotism. I'm also sorry to say they probably do more things right than the Gowers, as is shown by the sheer comparison in the games' relative populations.

I'm sorry to wake some RSers up here, but no other MMORPG has the same behavioural problems with its community as RS! Is perhaps the fact we can world-hop the main reason for this, and if so, if not RS be made into a one-server game, should the extent to which we can world-hop be limited, in order to make rule-breakers and generally unpleasent people accountable for their actions? And if so, would it actually work anyway?

Hmm... you all speak very good points that I hadn't really considered, and you're all right. With hindsight, even with the BIG benefit it would have, the downsides far outweigh this.

Just one point I'd like to touch on:

This isn't World of Warcraft

Fair enough, you've chosen to play RS, but can you honestly say that every single thing in RS is better than WoW (apart from graphics, which is fairly obvious)? This attitude annoys me, because like it or not, RSers are gonna have to accept that there are some things the designers of WoW do better than the Gowers, simply because they have more experience, and that the Gowers really should look towards them for inspiration instead of digging their heels in the sand, with the majority of the RS community blindly supporting them with an almost war-like patriotism. I'm also sorry to say they probably do more things right than the Gowers, as is shown by the sheer comparison in the games' relative populations.

I'm sorry to wake some RSers up here, but no other MMORPG has the same behavioural problems with its community as RS! Is perhaps the fact we can world-hop the main reason for this, and if so, if not RS be made into a one-server game, should the extent to which we can world-hop be limited, in order to make rule-breakers and generally unpleasent people accountable for their actions? And if so, would it actually work anyway?

I seriously doubt that making rs a one-server game would significantly help our huge rule-breaking, begging, macroing, scamming, luring, and idiot/immature player problems.

It's easy to think that our problems will be solved with a single update like the one suggested here, but that simply isn't the case. If rs really wants a better community, both Jagex and the average player must get actively involved to do it. It would take a very long time to fix it, and even then we would likely fail.

I'm not trying to shoot you down, but I don't see this doing anything but cause alot of outrage.

It's too late into the games development to change now. You can't suddenly expect thousands upon thousands of players to suddenly choose which server would best suite them. And in other games in which this idea is used, you CAN change the world. (for a semi-high fee ofcourse) And knowing that they are doing it just to make more money really pisses me off :-$ .

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

If we only had one server, places would be packed! #-o

People would not be able to get a word in edgeways if they are buying or selling due to the large amount of text flying acrss the screen. :evil:

Fishing and woodcutting spots would be packed so no fish or logs could be collected before another fish spot appears or the tree disappears. :evil:

Hunting spots would be packed also. <.<

My point=Not 1 server! :thumbsup: ::' :pray:

Sn'C Events Team Member

2v2bjuq.jpg

pixel-sig-1.gif

942nd to 99 hunter 2/8/07|26,042nd to reach 99 fletching 27/10/07|Quest Cape Achieved 22/1/08|50,000th to 99 Cooking 29/10/08

Dagannoth King Drops: 7 Zerkers 2 Axes 3 Warriors | Armadyl: 1 hilt first ever trip and kill | Barrows: 2 Dharok Legs 1 Ahrim Skirt 1 Torag Helm 1 Guthan Spear

If we only had one server, places would be packed! #-o

People would not be able to get a word in edgeways if they are buying or selling due to the large amount of text flying acrss the screen. :evil:

Fishing and woodcutting spots would be packed so no fish or logs could be collected before another fish spot appears or the tree disappears. :evil:

Hunting spots would be packed also. <.<

My point=Not 1 server! :thumbsup: ::' :pray:

Read the whole thread before replying...

The major downside would be the economic repercussions of the mini-economy concept. Another negative aspect of the server assingment would be the fact that people would constantly be fighting over trees, thiving victims, fishing spots, General Store items, etc. I would most likley quit RS if this concept ever came into play. (It wont. ::' )

RSN:Benny_4

grammar2gr8dxhn9.png

The major downside would be the economic repercussions of the mini-economy concept. Another negative aspect of the server assingment would be the fact that people would constantly be fighting over trees, thiving victims, fishing spots, General Store items, etc. I would most likley quit RS if this concept ever came into play. (It wont. ::' )
I wouldn't quit over it, but I would have to share my precious Moss Giants even more than I currently have to... :cry: :cry:

• 2 weeks later...

If you can only stay on one server your either mean there is going to be 1million people on one server, or it will still be seperated; only you can't change. I'm gonna assume your going with the latter. Anyways, if you can't change servers how would you interact with your friends? Also, it would be total chaos...there might be only one person that can make a certain item on one server and he would what...be able to charge anything for it and control the entire server??? The economy would callapse thus making the idea impossible.

It would take a huge amount of fun out of the game. If you are referring to WoW, and if I am not mistaken, there are multiple servers but your character can play only on one. The fact RS has multiple worlds and the ability to world hop is unique. The community would be much closer in a sense, but pking U_Owned_99 a million times, playing Cw with noo002, and skilling with Jimmy3bean will get repetetive and annoying very quickly. If, however, you suggest this to make the community generaly more pleasant to each other, it may destroy the game. Not everyone deserves kindess or respect or to be treated the same in that matter. I enjoy the ability to hop worlds to fight that guy in his shiny dharoks in Germany or go KQ with a guy in England. Its interesting meeting people from around the world. Having one server would take that fun away.

soulthresher.png

I really like this idea but I think it is too radical for people here to truly appreciate. I think that your points about the community and realism are definitely a factor that I like. Most arguments against this idea seem to be about the economy. The economy would settle out and once again make a more realistic financial environment. I think that the servers would have to be increased in size and there would have to be a system to keep it balanced.

As for Party hats, well this game has over a million members and how many have party hats? A few thousand, so really I don't think they are a factor.

It wouldn't work because we got an economy. Your idea is like WoW and each server has a different economy. Weapon A might be worth 45 gold in Server 1 and 86 gold in Server 2. RuneScape however, has the biggest economy in a MMORPG. It's because you can trade with people in mutliple servers. If you cut the servers off, then you cut the economy. Without the economy, prices rise and dive in a series of roller coasters. Trading would be hell in RS after that... No economy, no RuneScape.

I mean, its a great idea, but if we apply this to RuneScape we pretty much kill RuneScape.

agreed with out the ecomony what would runescape be?

yes and training spots are packed which has been stated. to say, this would not be a great move of jagex part.

• 1 month later...

I disagree with this idea, as the fact that you have the ability to server hop is (as far as i know) something that it is fairly unique to Runescape, and is something I am happy to see to continue.

I see what you mean however, when you say that by assigning players to a server you are forcing members of a server to cooperate with each other to create a community based within that server, thus reducing the amount of petty behaviour etc. To be honest, i feel this would not work, as the mentality of a the vast majority of players (in my experience) in Runescape is that number 1 comes first. No-one wants to waste time helping out the "st00p1d n0013s" who genuinely need help and are not being lazy. Sure, there used to be an amazingly tight community within RS, but that was due to the fact that the majority of players were mature adolescents or adults, not the general demographic of players we see in RS today (10-14 years old), who are yet to develop the maturity required to fit in with a community where people are willing to help each other out etc..

I, like many other players within RS already stick to one world whenever playing (I like to frequent world 23), and because of this, i regularly bump into several well known players on those servers (tufftypower, J Mez and G 1 G G 5 to name a few). People like this have chosen to conduct the vast majority of their training on these worlds, and that is their choice, but i feel it would be unfair to confine people to worlds, especially as this would very likely disrupt communities that have already formed within worlds. People who have been playing in the same world for 3 years or so, and were familiar with most of the regulars on that server would suddenly find themselves not knowing anyone at all, and could possibly end up in a world where they are the only mature person over the age of 16 on the entire server (a bit extreme but you get my point), which would be extremely frustrating and could completly ruin the gaming experience for that person..

Your idea is a good one, but unfortunatly, it just wouldnt work.. There would be absolute uproar if Jagex ever tried to implement this, and would kill the game completly.

RS has worked fine for the last couple of years operating over many servers, there would be no point changing the system now. [/i]

Rsfunnyconvo.jpg

Isloman.png

1700+ Total!! QP Cape! W23 resident.

It would be a bit of "fun" though. Lobsters in world 1 for 150 each, while it's 320 each in world 85, for example.

...It would pretty much suck, generally...

Yeah, I did that too. Then I wouldn't switch off the computer for DAYS, just put it on power saving mode (the one which switches the comp. off in essence but leaves the windows open) . Nowadays, however, it's possible to get on the servers when more slots open, in certain stages of the day, by being lucky. :wall:

2077089531_93b87b9d10.jpg

You're being watched.