Should Jagex make RS a one-server game?

(I haven' t read much of this thread)

Think about it: 150 thousand players on one server. See, RuneScape is not that big, the server would crash and what connection could load that much stuff without burning out?. It' s like putting a movie on a disk. Not a CD, the litlle suare disk.

RSN:Mico1311 Combat: 82 Highest skill: Fishing 75 Playing time: From around August 2003

The guy in my avatar is Veso, a comedian mastermind.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

runescape wouldn't exist anymore. The main part of RS (many people disagree, but it is) is money making. skills=money making monster hunting=money making minigames (some)=money making. if the one huge part of RS was cut off, World 2/merchanting/world hop runes/world hop other shops/world hop for training spots would be no more.

horrible idea

Bingo. A lot of people have touched on the fact that there would be

overcrowding and whatnot, but the significance of that lies in the fact that this would fundamentally change the game.

10 servers, 20 servers hosting 200,000 people would dramatically undercut the concept of skilling. PKers and combaters would have a ball, but skillers and indeed the general RuneScape population who are not elite PKers, stakers, or duelers would suffer.

Even then, becoming an elite fighter would become immensely difficult due to overcrowding.

This highlights the primary difference between RuneScape and WoW/Every other MMORPG: RuneScape is skills-based in a repetitious way as opposed to an adventure/achievement way. Massive expansion of the map and a complete revamp of how you gain levels would be necessary.

Fair enough, you've chosen to play RS, but can you honestly say that every single thing in RS is better than WoW (apart from graphics, which is fairly obvious)? This attitude annoys me, because like it or not, RSers are gonna have to accept that there are some things the designers of WoW do better than the Gowers, simply because they have more experience, and that the Gowers really should look towards them for inspiration instead of digging their heels in the sand, with the majority of the RS community blindly supporting them with an almost war-like patriotism. I'm also sorry to say they probably do more things right than the Gowers, as is shown by the sheer comparison in the games' relative populations.

I'm not sure what the limits of Andrew and Paul's design talents are (probably pretty high since they seriously considered developing a console version of RuneScape), but the reason RuneScape's graphics are subpar is because it runs in Java, doesn't require a fancy graphics card or lots of RAM, and doesn't take 2 GB of your hard drive.

I'm sorry to wake some RSers up here, but no other MMORPG has the same behavioural problems with its community as RS! Is perhaps the fact we can world-hop the main reason for this, and if so, if not RS be made into a one-server game, should the extent to which we can world-hop be limited, in order to make rule-breakers and generally unpleasent people accountable for their actions? And if so, would it actually work anyway?

No, the reason RuneScape has so many behavioral problems is because it's free, and low-commitment. The very presentation of the game almost makes you take it less seriously, whereas other MMORPGs require a hefty monthly price tag, a $40+ purchase decision, and lots of your computer's resources. People aren't going to instantaneously squander away that much investment.

I think if this is implemented all the individual economies would be weak and fragile. There would be very little sense of security as prices of things would rise and fall over unpredictable variables. In our economy, those variables are to small to affect much (an example of a variable would be a clan war, or a few people with crucial economic roles such as rune mining suddenly switch to yew cutting for whatever reason. Even a single PKer might be able to wreak an entire economy by PKing nat crafters, causing a devastating chain reaction).

I really don't like that you would be barred access to people on other servers. It just doesn't seem like a good thing to me.

I'd be concerned over the amount of lag. It would be convenient but i like the fact i can change worlds when someone is bothering me. Can you imagine how hard it would be to train with everyone on the one server?

I don't think the fact people can hop servers is the reason for the behavior of people in the community. I think its the fact it generally takes a while to complete any action and also at how easily it is to just create another account and start again.

Pgkhqob.jpg

Proud Tip.It Moderator December 07 - October 2009
Proud TETAU Member 2006 - 2007 <3
"I had a standing agreement with god. I'd agree to believe in him, barely, so long as he let me sleep in on Sundays." - Rose Hathaway
[ Posting & You ] [ Forum Rules ] [ Next Tetau Event ]