Guitar Hero/Rock Band Discussion thread

Karmastocracy

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IGN.com just released this article on the Wii version of Guitar Hero 3 today. It explains a lot more about how the Wiimote is placed in the guitar and so on... If you want to see the real article, click here: IGN

Yes, I know that it's a long article...

Guitar Hero III for Wii Hands-on

We rock out with the Wii guitar and the first edition of the megahit to land on a Nintendo console.

by Craig Harris

August 29, 2007 - Nintendo may be focusing on the casual game market with its Wii system, but it was Red Octane and Harmonix that first nailed that demographic hard when the pair launched Guitar Hero on the PlayStation 2 a couple of years ago. Even if you've never played a videogame before, it was a design that was easily accessible to anyone: pick up a guitar and strum notes as they race down the screen. And though Red Octane and Harmonix have parted ways, the Guitar Hero brand lives on with Red Octane and Activision, who will publish Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock across all the current platforms. Activision's Vicarious Visions studio has been put to the task of bringing the design to a Nintendo platform for the very first time, and we got a chance to rock out with the Wii version back at the team's studio.

If you missed out on the craze on the PlayStation 2 or when the sequel hit the Xbox 360, it's clear you need to be brought up to speed on the wonder that is Guitar Hero. In Guitar Hero, you simply rock out to classic and contemporary guitar-heavy songs by following along with an on-screen bar. On this bar, you'll need to have your fingers pressing on individual or multiple buttons on the guitar neck and strumming to the specific beat. Play successfully and you'll rack up serious points. Screw up and you'll ruin your ears with the sound of sour notes.

Guitar Hero's main component to its design is, of course, the guitar peripheral. The key gameplay revolves around pressing the corresponding buttons on the guitar neck and strumming to the beat of the song, and this just wouldn't feel the same using a traditional controller. You really won't feel like a guitar hero without that meaty axe in your hands to wail away on the notes that come zipping in on-screen. Guitar Hero III for the Wii will be the "unique" one of the bunch as it's the only version that requires players to plug in a Wii remote before they can start rocking out.

The back of the Wii guitar has a compartment that's made specifically for the Wii remote. It only takes a few seconds for preparation before rocking: plug the connector into the bottom of the controller, rest the controller face down, put the wrist strap in the handy nook, and snap the compartment door back on. Easy.

The Wii version of the guitar uses the Wii remote for many reasons.

The Wii version of the Guitar Hero guitar is essentially the same shape as the Les Paul Gibson guitar that will ship with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of the game.

This updated, wireless guitar has a few unseen features, most notably the ability to pop off the neck for easy storage (and presumably upgrading purposes) as well as the ability to take off the faceplate so you can swap on available, customizable replacements. The device has been improved since the past versions of Guitar Hero: the "flapping" sound of strumming has been muffled significantly, and the buttons have been slightly modified with slightly smaller and slicker buttons to make it easier to maneuver along them quickly.

Along with the storage place for the Wii remote, the Wii version of the guitar has one other addition: an analog stick. Why? Well, when your Wii remote's plugged into the guitar, you lose the Wiimote's pointing ability - the analog stick is for players to maneuver the Wii's menu system so they can select the game while the Wiimote's properly plugged into the guitar.

What the Wii Remote/Guitar combo gets the game is, naturally, the inherent ability to be a wireless controller right out of the box since it's essentially using all the wireless tech in the remote to talk with the Wii system. The motion detection for when you want to trigger the star power in-game (by lifting the controller) is now provided by the accelerometer within the Wii Remote. But this combo also adds a couple of features that won't be in the other versions of Guitar Hero. First: rumble. The Wii version will be the only Guitar Hero game that will feature force-feedback thanks to the rumble in the controller, and believe it or not, in our hands-on, you really could feel the guitar shake to the beat when you rocked out with Star Power, as well as "buzz" when crazy effects are going on in the game.

The second feature? The Wii Remote speaker is used for the game's "squelch" when you miss a note. Hearing it come from your guitar makes two player co-op and two player competition a bit more fun since you can easily tell which player's the one that's screwing up the notes - if player one misses a few notes, the "squelch" will come from his guitar and not player two's. Players can bring the squelching back to the television speaker by turning off the remote's speakers - since the mis-note sound effect is integral to the game, it will recognize if you've kicked off your Wiimote speakers and send the sound back to the main audio output.

The Wii version of Guitar Hero III is essentially the same design as what's being produced for the PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360. The same track list on the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions will apply to the Wii edition, which means more than 70 different songs across the different eras of rock. Metallica, AFI, Guns 'n Roses... even the Beastie Boys. In past versions of Guitar Hero, cover bands handled the track listing, but in Guitar Hero 3, more than 70% of the songs are the actual master recordings. So when you play, say, Paint it Black from the Rolling Stones, it's the actual decades-old master tuned for play in the Guitar Hero engine.

The Wii version will be more in line with the PlayStation 2 game, with visuals running at 480p and widescreen at 60 frames per second. Naturally, during most of the game you're watching the notes come flying at you down the center of the screen, so much of what's going on around that - from the motion captured performers to the animated crowds to the spectacular effects happening on-stage - is more for the observers. And in our demo with a close-to-final version of the game, Guitar Hero III on the Wii never skipped a beat when pushing all those visual effects. One noticeable benefit: loadtimes are damn quick between menus and in-game challenges... you might not have much time to rest those fingers.

Multiplayer is a huge focus for the third iteration of the Guitar Hero franchise, so you'll definitely want to invest in a second Wii guitar to take advantage of the co-op and competitive modes in Guitar Hero III. That's right: competition. There are a few modes in Guitar Hero III where you'll be able to screw with the other person. Earn a power-up after a successful string of notes and you'll be able to do stuff like temporarily increase the opponent's difficulty level, double up his notes, shake his screen for a few seconds, or "break" one of his strings that'll require him to whack the whammy bar or one of the guitar buttons to fix the problem.

The Nintendo Wii version of the game will support the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, and though both Vicarious Visions and Red Octane are remaining tightlipped about the features within, every indication led us to believe that it's safe to assume that at least a few of the modes, both co-op and competitive, will be playable over the Internet. Which features, and whether or not the Wii version will have downloadable content, remains up in the air. Unfortunately, during our playtime with the Wii game, we had to skip over the "Nintendo WFC" option in the menu. Curses.

Nintendo's pushing a lot of attention to the casual gamer with its Wii system, and the Guitar Hero design fits that market like a glove. We wouldn't be surprised to see the Wii version top the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions in sales when they all ship this fall.

We'll have more on the Wii game soon, but we've posted the first-ever three screenshots of the Nintendo version in motion below. We think you'll agree that Guitar Hero on Wii is looking to rock as hard as its competitors.

sig2-1.png

Last.Fm

My Bloggy

Proud to have served on Tip.it Crew

Tom Morello!!

UK, September 5, 2007 - Rage Against the Machine guitarist Tom Morello has revealed he's set to make his Guitar Hero debut as a boss in Neversoft's upcoming Guitar Hero III. That's not all though: Aerosmith reckons Activision is already working on Guitar Hero IV.

Speaking to Rolling Stone, Morello solidified his appearance in Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock noting that, despite being a boss character, he's not actually very good at the game. "Whenever I play Guitar Hero my opponent always kicks my [wagon] on my own riffs. It's embarrassing. Now that I'm actually in the game I hope the digital me will win once in a while," he quipped.

Meanwhile, Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry has dropped hints during an interview with Billboard.com that the band is working closely with Activision on what he called 'Guitar Hero IV'. Perry revealed, "I don't know much about the technical part of it but artistically we're working hand-in-hand." However, Activision has dismissed his comments as rumour and speculation.

Considering he's one of my favorite guitarists of all time, this is some good news. And what's up with the Guitar Hero VI rumours? Come on, let us enjoy GH3 for a while before they rush 4 out.

sig2-1.png

Last.Fm

My Bloggy

Proud to have served on Tip.it Crew

Tom Morello!!

UK, September 5, 2007 - Rage Against the Machine guitarist Tom Morello has revealed he's set to make his Guitar Hero debut as a boss in Neversoft's upcoming Guitar Hero III. That's not all though: Aerosmith reckons Activision is already working on Guitar Hero IV.

Speaking to Rolling Stone, Morello solidified his appearance in Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock noting that, despite being a boss character, he's not actually very good at the game. "Whenever I play Guitar Hero my opponent always kicks my [wagon] on my own riffs. It's embarrassing. Now that I'm actually in the game I hope the digital me will win once in a while," he quipped.

Meanwhile, Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry has dropped hints during an interview with Billboard.com that the band is working closely with Activision on what he called 'Guitar Hero IV'. Perry revealed, "I don't know much about the technical part of it but artistically we're working hand-in-hand." However, Activision has dismissed his comments as rumour and speculation.

Considering he's one of my favorite guitarists of all time, this is some good news. And what's up with the Guitar Hero VI rumours? Come on, let us enjoy GH3 for a while before they rush 4 out.

Exactly, although it will probably be just a disc for an expansion pack.

megakillersigbyhawkxsrh0.png

Quit Runescape 30th May 2006.

Thanks to Hawkxs for my signature :)

• 2 weeks later...

As of September 7, 2007, there have been 47 songs confirmed out of the 70+ songs that will be featured in the game...

"3's and 7's" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Queens of the Stone Age

"Avalancha" - Ḫ̩̉̉roes del Silencio

"Barracuda" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Heart

"Black Magic Woman" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ See below post. ~Arch

"Bulls on Parade" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Rage Against the Machine

"Cherub Rock" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ The Smashing Pumpkins

"Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Blue ÃÆÃââââ‰â¬Åyster Cult

"Closer" - Lacuna Coil

"Cult of Personality" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Living Colour

"Even Flow" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Pearl Jam

"Generation Rock" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Revolverheld

"Go That Far" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Bret Michaels Band

"Helicopter" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Bloc Party

"Hier Kommt Alex" - Die Toten Hosen

"Hit Me with Your Best Shot" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Pat Benatar

"I'm in the Band" - The Hellacopters

"In the Belly of a Shark" - Gallows

"Knights of Cydonia" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Muse

"La Grange" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ ZZ Top

"Lay Down" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Priestess

"Mauvais Gar̮̤̉̉on" - NAAST

"The Metal" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Tenacious D

"Minus Celsius" - Backyard Babies

"Miss Murder" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ AFI

"Mississippi Queen" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Mountain

"My Name Is Jonas" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Weezer

"The Number of the Beast" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Iron Maiden

"One" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Metallica

"Paint It, Black" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ The Rolling Stones

"Paranoid" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Black Sabbath

"Radio Song" - Superbus

"Raining Blood" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Slayer

"Reptilia" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ The Strokes

"Rock and Roll All Nite" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Kiss

"Rock You Like a Hurricane" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Scorpions

"Ruby" - Kaiser Chiefs

"Sabotage" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Beastie Boys

"School's Out" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Alice Cooper

"She Bangs the Drums" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ The Stone Roses

"She Builds Quick Machines" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Velvet Revolver

"Slow Ride" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Foghat

"Suck My Kiss" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Red Hot Chili Peppers

"Take This Life" - In Flames

"Talk Dirty to Me" - Poison

"Through the Fire and Flames" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ DragonForce

"Welcome to the Jungle" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Guns N' Roses

"When You Were Young" ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ The Killers

In addition, artists confirmed to be contributing to the game include:

An original song composed and performed by Slash of Velvet Revolver and Guns N' Roses.

An original song composed and performed by Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave.

A song by the band Atreyu.

A master track song from the band Aerosmith.

Concerning other bands, Huang also stated in an interview, "We've got a lot of songs and artists still that we would love to have. In particular, we've been trying to get Metallica, AC/DC and Led Zeppelin. So hopefully sometime in the near future, my wish and everybody's wish will come true and we can get some of their music in the game."

Got this from Wiki...Can't wait :D

2czeqeh.jpg

omgomgomgomg

I CANT WAIT!

haha this soundtrack looks awsome... I CANT BELEIVE MY EYES...Me and my brother were talking about how cool the song "through the fire and the flames" would be on GH, and there it is!

Everyone download that song because it has some insane guitar

Also some slayer and iron maiden and tons of others! \'

through the fire and flames is nothing but a ton of guitar [bleep]ery, but I'll be damned if that isn't going to be fun to play.

The list is shaping up really nice. Can't wait to play Raining blood and the number of the beast. :twisted:

Im not getting gh3, im getting rock band. In my opinion, rock band has better songs, and u get drums, microphone, guitar, and bass. rock band is by same ppl as gh1 and gh2(my 2 favorite games), so im sticking with harmonix

Mizzou is ballin'!

Illini are fallin'!

Kansas is dead.

thumb_mizzou-logo.jpg

Im not getting gh3, im getting rock band. In my opinion, rock band has better songs, and u get drums, microphone, guitar, and bass. rock band is by same ppl as gh1 and gh2(my 2 favorite games), so im sticking with harmonix

personally, i see rock band as a cheap copy with more/different content. the way i see it, harmonix took the code and used it to make a new game, abandoning neversoft/red octane to make 3 from scratch.

plus, more instruments doesn't make it better. there are so many ways that the microphone alone could go wrong, and the guitar instruments are probably going to be the same as guitar heroes.

• 3 weeks later...

so uhh yeah i played guitar hero 3 \'

i can play:

the metal

hit me with your best shot

rock you like a hurricane

lay down

even flow

on all 4 difficulties

judy nails is a [bleep]

the loading screen has flying monkeys playing the double guitar thingy

and guitar hero is a hell of a lot harder :D