What was the 1st thing you did as a noob? 1k+ views

Guest Rob

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ran to Varrock where my friend Mikeandmatt was waiting for me with full bronze, full iron, full steel, full mith, and full addy!! :thumbsup:

He was my best friend.... I cant believe he quit after getting 99 Fletching... :cry:

Pasty.png

I went around the back of the castle, got killed by a GIANT LEVEL 2 SPIDER!

When I was level 16, i had a red cape, and an iron helm. Once I was taxiing someone to goblin village when I found a noted bronze platebody. OMG best day of my life! :mrgreen:

mithmsanta,driller75.gif

I trained on men at the barn in edgeville, i got to 40 40 40 there picking up all the money and buying the next weapon with it. I can't remember but i think i preferred weapons over armour so i had crappy armour and a rune scim. Some level 90 dropped 25k and a rune bar on my first week and i was really excited. :P "omfg im rich now!!! rune bar!!".

I trained on men at the barn in edgeville, i got to 40 40 40 there picking up all the money and buying the next weapon with it. I can't remember but i think i preferred weapons over armour so i had crappy armour and a rune scim. Some level 90 dropped 25k and a rune bar on my first week and i was really excited. :P "omfg im rich now!!! rune bar!!".

Oh yeah, before my first account i kept dying so i thought i lost all my stuff and needed to start again, i made about 5 accounts. :D

The first thing I did as a newbie was walk endlessly towards the west of Lumbridge all the way to Port Sarim and Falador. I was unaware or ignoring the fact that every player comes equipped with a free telly spell back to Lumbridge so I spent the first week completely lost...I mean exploring the vast expanses of RuneScape!

Eh heh...

99miningnewsig.gif

~Retired 13-July-2010~

Thanks for the great memories folks :).

my cousin told me to meet him at varrock.. so i headed over there after he taught me how to use the world map, only to get owned by dark wizards :( .

Leapfrog229.gif

I guess cause I never saw the need. I also felt that if I moved into the version of the game that was always changing that it would in some way invalidate the work that I had already put into my account.

Man this was back in rs1 like 4 years ago... I first joined up and I think I ended up wandering in Al Kharid where I got owned by a scorpion at the Al Kharid mines. (Damn 3 turn rule) :cry:

Then later on, maybe around lvl 10-20ish some guy died at the Dark Wizards and I remember sprinting in and grabbing his full iron. I kept that iron til around lvl 40 :lol:

During that time, whenever I would gather enough cash, I would buy the best battleaxe I could from Bob in Lumbridge. Man, when I bought the Mith one, I thought I was so cool O:)

Later on, maybe in my 50s, I got scammed out of mith plate, addy legs, rune med and rune long. Guy offered to trade me Green Mask if I gave him my stuff... and I did :oops:

Damn, being a noob was fun.

well I created 1 account before this it was paaaaaaasta (7 a's) in 2003 and I was trying to train smithing but i had somehow forgotten that a hammer is required to smith bars. I only found that out when I tried to smith. then I thought a warhammer would have the same function as a normal hammer so I tried to use it to smith a bronze mace; but obviously it didn't work.

I did not know how to get a hammer ( Yes, I was a complete noob back then) so I started begging ("Buying hammer 1000gp) outside the varrock general store, oblivious to the fact that I could simply get one from the store a small price. then some guy about lvl 30-ish wearing bronze came to me (I was wearing iron) and said "I know how to get a hammer, just follow me". I replied "Why don't you just sell it?" he then said "It cannot be traded".

then he took me into the wilderness explaining instructions to get to a non-existant place (I thought it was true that time) where you have to kill some powerful monstes and all that whatnot. then we were ambushed in a place (I forgot where that was but it was in a forest somewhere directly north of varrock) by a lvl 60-something mage. obviously I was killed first then I appeared in lumbridge where that guy appeared a few seconds later. well he saw me and started chatting with me for a while then i realised I had lost the full iron (yes, I am a rather slow person) therefore I quit Runescape. (until in late 2004 then I started playing Runescape again as paaaaaaaasta (8 a's) because I had too much time)

Tried to sell cabbage right outside of the cabbage patch :wink: :lol: . And I wc non stop until I figured out how to mine :thumbsup: . Then once my first account was stolen on new years (the day I got 60 mining :cry: ), I wc'ed willow trees outside of lumbridge and sold all the logs to the general store. Got to 83 wc this way :uhh: .

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

I remember getting off the noob boat from Tut Island... being in front of the Castle in Lumby... and doing nothing but remembering the words about that dreaded realm known as THE WILD!! Since I didn't know where it was except for the fact that it was to the North, I would move but a few squares at a time to the North while waiting for someone to lay into me. Little did I know... I was a scardy cat by the Goblin Hut and the Lumby cow pen for nothing! ROFL! I saw the store... but had my whopping 25 coins and I couldn't afford anything that I thought was worth getting anyway.

I figured out real fast I needed armor and weapons but didn't have the cash to buy any nor the skills to make some so I decided to earn cash as I figured out how. I watched other players take on Goblins and spiders... so I did too. Fortunately, I didn't croak... and was thrilled to get a Bronze Sq. I eventually spotted an Iron Dagger on the floor of the Goblin Hut... snagged that and was happy all over again. I was a fool at first, sold off the runes I got for peanuts to the store rather than use them. Yes, I also sold off a ton of noob junk too while trying to earn cash. I also didn't know how to switch attack modes... so my Defense remained at one for a LONG time as did my strength. I didn't know I should be burying bones like a madman... so my Prayer level was low too. Crap, I was such a noooooobster!

Eventually, I decided to wander around further away and learn the lay of the land. I had no clue where anything was and I didn't know all the areas of F2P like I do now. I remember getting pissed as hell as I wandered around while trying to use that totally worthless noob map... that thing needs to be taken out of the game. I think it's far more confusing and non-helpful than it is worthwhile, even though the noob programmers at Jagex updated it. I also remember trying to figure out where a bank was... and I finally wandered to the Varrock West mining pit. I wandered into town... found a bank (cannot remember which one!) and then started wandering around some more. I got back down by Lumby and slayed some cows for food. I cut a few logs to make fires to cook the meat... etc.

I had no clue that all I needed to do for cash was to collect hides and sell them in the bank for 100 coins each... wow would that have been a big help! After a few hours of playing and being really frustrated, I logged off. In the coming week, I basically learned how to make a little cash, I did some mining and I got used to where I was going though I never did wander up to the Wild (probably a good thing too!).

I remember thinking to myself that seeing those other players in Black, Mith and Addy armor was a big deal... that they were so tough and that they must have been playing FOREVER to get all that money. I also marveled some at the levels... I remember seeing another player with level 100 combat for the first time... and thinking to myself that I would NEVER get that high. Little did I know... little did I know!

I don't remember exactly when or how I first died but I think it was a mugger that nailed me. Must have been on day 2 or 3. I do know when I first died that I was over by the runes shop in Varrock so it must have been a mugger. He swooped out of knowhere on me and I thought I was going to take him... got ahead by 2 or 3 points... then started going downhill. 2 other players started shouting to run... but I didn't and ended up dead. By the time I tried to run, I was walking away, fumbling to switch to run when the mugger got me for 3 straight hits. Down I went along with about 1200 coins and some noob items I had gotten. I was saddened... very saddened. Yes, I kept my 3 things but my cash was gone. That really hurt. It's funny how back then you think 100 coins is HUGE... then 1000 coins... then 5000 coins then 10000 coins and so on. I was clueless that 1200 in coins is nothing. Well, it is to a total noob but not to players that have been playing for a week or more!

I was soooo clueless how anything worked in the game. I had no idea what items to get that were worth cash, how to make cash fast and at a steady pace or how to merchant. I didn't even know about quests or how to range or mage worth a damn either. Eventually, I discovered that doing quests was smart, I learned how to cast spells after making some runes (doing the Rune Mysteries quest was a big deal!) and I also learned all the controls and how to take "noted" items out of the bank. I still laugh at my noobishness for that... but how was I supposed to know?

Looking back, I realize how lost I was... and how much of an advantage it is to have friends that play. You can learn soooo much faster from each other and having someone to back you up as well as learn stuff with is invaluable. Since I found Runescape literally by accident, I had no friend(s) to rely on and it cost me greatly at first. I was about as much of a noob as being a noob gets. I wasn't a bad noob, I was just a noob that didn't know anything. I can be proud of the fact that I never EVER begged for anything... and that I am almost all self taught. I didn't even know about the RS fansites for the first 3-4 months... until I figured out that there must be some online websites and I should search for them. Gee, imagine my surprise when I found Rune Tips and read about how to make an Air Tiara. Imagine my surprise when I learned that I should have done all the quests except for Dragon Slayer and Vampire Slayer before level 5 combat??? I could have shot up to a minimum level of 29 Smithing by simply doing the Knight's Sword quest. I worked Bronze until about level 35 the HARD way. Ouch!!! Oh well... what's a noob to do?

All in all, I look back and I too remember that it was exciting... for the most part. There were some times I was so frustrated that I would have slapped the Gower brothers so hard that they would have both landed in the middle of the next week but oh well. I did have fun and found the game to be addictive for a long time. That wore off like it does for most people but I found new challenges in the game. Yup, I also got into the Wild too and I remember the first time I got attacked. Some noob tried to take me out and I basically walked from level 12 Wild to safety while he was wailing away on me to no avail. While I eventually got killed out in the Wild by another player, I learned that it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be at first. The fear I had on day one wasn't justified at all... though I realize I was more fearful of finding myself in it and not knowing where to go to get out than I was of being there. That happened to me when I wandered down into the sewer at Draynor and got taken out by a Skeleton... but that's another story for another time. At least I learned to ALWAYS remember how to go back from where I came from :wall:

You can take the woman out of the South...

but you cannot take the South out of the woman!