Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is magic too weak??

• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,009 posts

I do so wish that the general public would stop whining about over/underpowered combat stats. Everything has its place - as most have said before me, used correctly magic is amazing.

I'll concede, however, that the pking community does try incredibly hard to make magic bad. What with constant crying about farcasting etc., edge is trying to be made into a solely torso-whip-dds spot, something I find terribly boring. I say get defence, don some mage tank gear and barrage your heart out. You'll find that on its own magic is deadly - especially against a wild who's tried its hardest to get rid of mage so that it can stop bringing hides.

The sad thing is none of them have hides and even after getting their [wagon] kicked they'll come back to fight you again - without hides! They actually think we'll quit "farcasting" them if they complain enough. Idiots.

77yLQy8.png

tomdavies90
[ Display Name History ]

tomdavies90

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,146 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
you're obviously not staking right...with mage stakes you either mage box, or you dont if you mage box you both wear nothing and you use mage to attack them (obviously) this should hit them easily and not only that you can attack with attacks like blood barrage to give you the upper hand over stupider opponents, or to lengthen the fight against clever opponents who use it as well, giving you the chance to turn it around. if you dont, make sure everything is off, but LEAVE MOVEMENT ON and spec on, then you simply mage your opponent, freeze them, run in and pump off a dds spec, then freeze again then run in and dds sopec, this will easily kill them
Posted Image
Sig by me....

ianer101
[ Display Name History ]

ianer101

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 216 posts

But is it fair that a person with 90+ mage can get pwned by a melee with 75 str in a close combat?

Mage is meant to prevent your opponent from even coming close to you. Just barrage or entangle, and then fire wave/continue barraging to your heart's content.
Posted Image
Posted Image
"If you have nothing constructive to say, don't say anything at all."

shadow2
[ Display Name History ]

shadow2

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • RSN:Blindweezy
  • Clan:Sands Of Time (SOT)

Yes, being able to freeze people in 9x9 area for 20 seconds and hitting upto 30 is underpowered...

yeah i know, i would hate to see his prob if it was over powered
A wise man once said if we are all gods children then whats so special about jesus

GrimHams
[ Display Name History ]

GrimHams

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,126 posts

But is it fair that a person with 90+ mage can get pwned by a melee with 75 str in a close combat?

Mage is meant to prevent your opponent from even coming close to you. Just barrage or entangle, and then fire wave/continue barraging to your heart's content.

Its unlikely they'll run out of food before they've managed to spec you a load of times/killed you. Mage can't ko because it doesn't have any spec. Im sticking to my "make dragonhide give negative melee bonus'" stance.

Myweponsg00d
[ Display Name History ]

Myweponsg00d

The Pittsburgh Pirate

• Members
  • 2,741 posts

Yes, yes it is. Hence the name of the style: melee. Meaning, up close. Meleers specialize in...well, melee attacks and therefore should win vs mages when fighting up close. Mages have freezes and snares for a reason, so they can win VS melee, and actually STOP melee from even fighting back. No other part of the triangle can PREVENT the enemy from attacking at all. Meleers win vs rangers...but they still have to get hit by arrows at all times. Rangers win vs mages, but they still have to take the hit from the magic, even if they do have good defenses against it.
Posted Image
Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,009 posts

Its unlikely they'll run out of food before they've managed to spec you a load of times/killed you. Mage can't ko because it doesn't have any spec. Im sticking to my "make dragonhide give negative melee bonus'" stance.

Mage can KO easily if you use certain spells at certain times...

77yLQy8.png

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts
why do people say that hides should give negative bonuses...?

they make you more flexible while protecting you, if anything, it's PLATE that should give the negative, as it's heavy, large, metal. you really shouldn't be able to move that well in something like that.

magic has effects, range has speed, melee has power. it all balances in the end

Toxicologist
[ Display Name History ]

Toxicologist

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
Some may argue that heavy metallic armour gives you extra weight, and so can add to the force of your attacks. Though I daresay if you try to take advantage of that, most of your attacks would go wide...

Then again, this is a game. A line needs to be drawn between realism and balance, and balance should always be put first. If Warriors are disadvantaged by armours, well that is simply unfair. And it might make pures more common too... so for the sake of balance, dragonhide armour should in fact have negative strength bonuses or something.
Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

arrowbld
[ Display Name History ]

arrowbld

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 351 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Arrowbld
i think mage is just fine i mean when i used to go pking mages would own me and i'm ftp man i remeber this one time....good times goodtimes

But seriously, I will kill you all

I am back for realz this time I promise now that I am a member :P

wildy58
[ Display Name History ]

wildy58

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 205 posts
they probley don't know how too use your mage. meele hitting to high....vengance....

only thing i would chance on mage is 30 being max....needs to be...higher level higher max
Posted Image
Posted Image

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

Some may argue that heavy metallic armour gives you extra weight, and so can add to the force of your attacks. Though I daresay if you try to take advantage of that, most of your attacks would go wide...

Then again, this is a game. A line needs to be drawn between realism and balance, and balance should always be put first. If Warriors are disadvantaged by armours, well that is simply unfair..

that would bring up the use of chainmail a bit more, or maybe a chain-backed breastplate.

if runescape was going for realism, we would have yew shrubs instead of trees and scarabs wouldn't drop bones.

thisismine
[ Display Name History ]

thisismine

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 36 posts
archery gear is made so specific movements are easy ie holding the bow at extension while protecting your arms , sheilding your face while letting you see and protecting your fingers so it should have a negitive melle stat

nock draw relese is a bit different to hack and slice ^^

perhapes having a mage staff that gathers mystic energy and teh special is sort of like dds , launching a copy of the last spell instantly for 25% nrg.
i know this isnt a FPS but if i freeze you can i still yell "Boom headshot" ?

TheWilch
[ Display Name History ]

TheWilch

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 863 posts

if runescape was going for realism, we would have yew shrubs instead of trees and scarabs wouldn't drop bones.

actually yew is a tree. just looks more like a shrub in real life because it spreads out wide so much before it grows upright.

plz....dont change the armor we already have thats good. problem with mages is simple but mostly over looked. when you go mage pking your probably in split/mystic/ahrims well all besides ahrims has terrible defense. so when your up against melee and they become unfroze, you cant just let them hit you because really you dont have anything protecting you. thats why most mages find that they cant pk with there 99 mage , because they have no clue what to do after they cant farcast or keep some 1 in the same spot.

im not asking for mage robes that add defense like rune does, im just saying people do the math. expect to get owned when a melee can hit you while your pretty much naked.

Pure_Airkman
[ Display Name History ]

Pure_Airkman

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 32 posts

i'm starting to think it is weak too, look how much you pay for that, and if someone makes it through, they can easily KO you with a dds or dh set..

Thats what I mean.

When u use magic u got a HUGE cost even though you never die. Melees can use the same dragon scim over and over but mages has to buy expensive runes, and ranger sof course has to buy arrows but they are not as expensive as runes:/

And when ur a mage ur Skulled all the time cause u cannot keep 100 blood runes when u down even if ur not skulled.

And to that guy above. Even when 99 mage you dont freeze every1 in a 9x9 and u rarely hit above 20 -.-

Even though you never die? I think you just contradicted yourself, as you said before that mages get owned.....
Working on this sig.....

Sam
[ Display Name History ]

Sam

we are the music makers

• Members
  • 9,508 posts

train your defense if you are getting hit too much...

Yes, do that.

I knew these rants would start popping up when the dark bow was released. -.-

You can do ice barrage for hell sake!

They can consistently get through prayers and hit high. :ohnoes: :ohnoes: :ohnoes: :ohnoes:

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

darkforaster
[ Display Name History ]

darkforaster

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 424 posts

I have just gotten 99 magic, and tbh I find it too weak, for melee and ranged too strong.

I think that when we are talking f2p its clear that magic is too weak, but also in P2P.

99 magic does not stand a chance against a guy with 75+ strenght and dds spec in stake. And a ranger only needs like 80+ hp to bring down a mage even if he has 99 magic.

1) I don't think magic is weak in f2p. I actually find it overpowered. At low levels you can do 8's and 10's. That's weak? I'm talking about LOWER LEVELS remember.

2) Magic stands a big chance against melee. Due to the combat triangle. Melee armours have low magic defence. While mage armours have high melee defence. You can probably do more damage to a meleer than a meleer can do to you. Besides. Just freeze him or poison him using ancients. Pretty effective. But expensive. But hey, meleers have pretty expensive stuff. And if it's a stake. Just make sure he puts up something expensive worth winning. Otherwise the wildy works wonders.

3) Do you know why rangers can beat mages? The combat triangle. Rangers have an advantage over mages due to mage armours and range armours. Don't complain about this. It's there for a reason.

4) EVERY combat skill has specials. Whether it is a special move with melee or range. Or a special effect with prayer and magic. In magic ancients have various effects such as freezing and poisoning(sp?). Plus you have the ability to do so much such as healing, teleporting and weakening. These are effects when using mage in battle. Use them wisely. If that doen't work and your still owned then use it differently. Until you find a strategy that works for you.

O_M_G_Guasto
[ Display Name History ]

O_M_G_Guasto

Banned

• Banned
  • 461 posts
  • RSN:O M G Guasto
  • Clan:Bros
You guys are proving the exact opposite of what you are wanting to disprove by saying mage them and run in for the kill. He says all mage has become is a secondary stat to aid melee/range and it truly has.
Posted Image

darkritual4
[ Display Name History ]

darkritual4

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 168 posts
The magic system is screwed up. It's the most useless combat stat until you can tele block or get ancients. On my pure mage I got killed by a meleer that was 10 levels below me and I was using my best magic attack. They really have to up the power of the normal spells.
Posted Image

Toxicologist
[ Display Name History ]

Toxicologist

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,159 posts

The magic system is screwed up. It's the most useless combat stat until you can tele block or get ancients. On my pure mage I got killed by a meleer that was 10 levels below me and I was using my best magic attack. They really have to up the power of the normal spells.

... I have beaten people twenty levels above me on my not-so-pure mage. On F2P, where magic is the most underpowered skill at medium-high levels. Seriously, you made one trial and jumped to a conclusion? Remember, the Runescape Combat System is insanely probability based. One trial is no way near enough. If you were marked on your Scientific Process, I will give you zero.
Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users