Is magic too weak??

Magic_Shad3

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some may argue that heavy metallic armour gives you extra weight, and so can add to the force of your attacks. Though I daresay if you try to take advantage of that, most of your attacks would go wide...

Then again, this is a game. A line needs to be drawn between realism and balance, and balance should always be put first. If Warriors are disadvantaged by armours, well that is simply unfair..

that would bring up the use of chainmail a bit more, or maybe a chain-backed breastplate.

if runescape was going for realism, we would have yew shrubs instead of trees and scarabs wouldn't drop bones.

archery gear is made so specific movements are easy ie holding the bow at extension while protecting your arms , sheilding your face while letting you see and protecting your fingers so it should have a negitive melle stat

nock draw relese is a bit different to hack and slice ^^

perhapes having a mage staff that gathers mystic energy and teh special is sort of like dds , launching a copy of the last spell instantly for 25% nrg.

i know this isnt a FPS but if i freeze you can i still yell "Boom headshot" ?

if runescape was going for realism, we would have yew shrubs instead of trees and scarabs wouldn't drop bones.

actually yew is a tree. just looks more like a shrub in real life because it spreads out wide so much before it grows upright.

plz....dont change the armor we already have thats good. problem with mages is simple but mostly over looked. when you go mage pking your probably in split/mystic/ahrims well all besides ahrims has terrible defense. so when your up against melee and they become unfroze, you cant just let them hit you because really you dont have anything protecting you. thats why most mages find that they cant pk with there 99 mage , because they have no clue what to do after they cant farcast or keep some 1 in the same spot.

im not asking for mage robes that add defense like rune does, im just saying people do the math. expect to get owned when a melee can hit you while your pretty much naked.

i'm starting to think it is weak too, look how much you pay for that, and if someone makes it through, they can easily KO you with a dds or dh set..

Thats what I mean.

When u use magic u got a HUGE cost even though you never die. Melees can use the same dragon scim over and over but mages has to buy expensive runes, and ranger sof course has to buy arrows but they are not as expensive as runes:/

And when ur a mage ur Skulled all the time cause u cannot keep 100 blood runes when u down even if ur not skulled.

And to that guy above. Even when 99 mage you dont freeze every1 in a 9x9 and u rarely hit above 20 -.-

Even though you never die? I think you just contradicted yourself, as you said before that mages get owned.....

Working on this sig.....

train your defense if you are getting hit too much...

Yes, do that.

I knew these rants would start popping up when the dark bow was released. -.-

You can do ice barrage for hell sake!

They can consistently get through prayers and hit high. :ohnoes: :ohnoes: :ohnoes: :ohnoes:

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

I have just gotten 99 magic, and tbh I find it too weak, for melee and ranged too strong.

I think that when we are talking f2p its clear that magic is too weak, but also in P2P.

99 magic does not stand a chance against a guy with 75+ strenght and dds spec in stake. And a ranger only needs like 80+ hp to bring down a mage even if he has 99 magic.

1) I don't think magic is weak in f2p. I actually find it overpowered. At low levels you can do 8's and 10's. That's weak? I'm talking about LOWER LEVELS remember.

2) Magic stands a big chance against melee. Due to the combat triangle. Melee armours have low magic defence. While mage armours have high melee defence. You can probably do more damage to a meleer than a meleer can do to you. Besides. Just freeze him or poison him using ancients. Pretty effective. But expensive. But hey, meleers have pretty expensive stuff. And if it's a stake. Just make sure he puts up something expensive worth winning. Otherwise the wildy works wonders.

3) Do you know why rangers can beat mages? The combat triangle. Rangers have an advantage over mages due to mage armours and range armours. Don't complain about this. It's there for a reason.

4) EVERY combat skill has specials. Whether it is a special move with melee or range. Or a special effect with prayer and magic. In magic ancients have various effects such as freezing and poisoning(sp?). Plus you have the ability to do so much such as healing, teleporting and weakening. These are effects when using mage in battle. Use them wisely. If that doen't work and your still owned then use it differently. Until you find a strategy that works for you.

The magic system is screwed up. It's the most useless combat stat until you can tele block or get ancients. On my pure mage I got killed by a meleer that was 10 levels below me and I was using my best magic attack. They really have to up the power of the normal spells.

dark+ritual4.png

The magic system is screwed up. It's the most useless combat stat until you can tele block or get ancients. On my pure mage I got killed by a meleer that was 10 levels below me and I was using my best magic attack. They really have to up the power of the normal spells.

... I have beaten people twenty levels above me on my not-so-pure mage. On F2P, where magic is the most underpowered skill at medium-high levels. Seriously, you made one trial and jumped to a conclusion? Remember, the Runescape Combat System is insanely probability based. One trial is no way near enough. If you were marked on your Scientific Process, I will give you zero.

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

You guys are proving the exact opposite of what you are wanting to disprove by saying mage them and run in for the kill. He says all mage has become is a secondary stat to aid melee/range and it truly has.

I didn't say that.

Just keep using the correct spells and you'll be fine. And it hasn't. I never think it will. Mage is the second biggest combat skill in rs. But it does so much more. That's why not only CAN it be a secondary skill. bUt using it as a primary skill is more effective.

You think all it is is a secondary skill. But that's not what I see when playing cwars or when I go to wildy.

you are telling me that magic is to weak in f2p when lvl 6's are hitting 8 with fire strike, lvl 40s hit 16s with fire blasts? At level 6 with range you hit 4, give or take. At level 6 with melee you hit 5 or 6 with str pot. I think that you have your facts mixed up

sure, if you are lvl 75 with fire blasts you probably get killed by a melee or a ranger. Thats why F2P only has a few spells.

The triangle is fine IMO.

-Ammo-

I engineered this thread with precise variables that I know would cause lul-worthy flames.

Ammo931.png

you are telling me that magic is to weak in f2p when lvl 6's are hitting 8 with fire strike, lvl 40s hit 16s with fire blasts? At level 6 with range you hit 4, give or take. At level 6 with melee you hit 5 or 6 with str pot. I think that you have your facts mixed up

sure, if you are lvl 75 with fire blasts you probably get killed by a melee or a ranger. Thats why F2P only has a few spells.

The triangle is fine IMO.

-Ammo-

A triangle that works well at first glance but does not in the long run is not balanced. Are you saying just because something has an illusion of something, it must be true? Besides, mages in F2P only retain an advantage for a very short time. That does not compensate for the times when mages are seriously underpowered, which is about 95% from zero to level 99 experience.

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

I have been away from a few days -.- and please stop metioning CW as CW puts you in a unrealistic situation, compared to wildy.

First of all I am aware about "The Triangle", so I no that rangers shud pwn mages.

But the problem with magic as an indepentent stat is:

1. It can splash - meaning not hitting which happens a lot on other mages and hybrids because a high mage lvl gives high mage defence - think about this one.

2. Magic is too slow to KO someone in wildy, since when ur hitting him he has good time to eat, at least one shark and since a mage barely hit above 20 its hard to KO, because you can rly do a surpricingly high hit. So I think mages need like a speciel attack or something

3. How often (unless your pking in a team) is it usefull to be able to freeze 9 persons in a 3x3 square? - so I wont say that that is the diffrence between mage being over/underpowered.

4. This has nothing to do with the new update so please dont metion it.

I think that was it, I wont be on again the next month or so, so I wont be able to answer ur posts <.<

magic IS too weak for the following reasons

1. wairrors use d'hide, which is suppose to be RANGE armour to protect themselves from mage and d'hide does not lower melee stats (ironically it lowers mage...). Real good example of cb triangle?

2. Mage has EXTREMELY weak armour. since protect from mage/d'hide together gives nearly full invulnerbility agiainst mage, once a spell misses you have to feel the wrath of a dds spec ripping away at your no or extremely little def.

3. There is no special attack. the dds spec kills mage and mage can't KO anyone alone.

4.the best weapon, the master wand, gives +20 mage bonus. Compare that to the dark bow/greataxe. Not to mention the fact that mage can only hit up to 30 even with better weapons. I mean the dark bow can hit like 35-35 and melee can hit up to what....80???

magic IS too weak for the following reasons

1. wairrors use d'hide, which is suppose to be RANGE armour to protect themselves from mage and d'hide does not lower melee stats (ironically it lowers mage...). Real good example of cb triangle?

2. Mage has EXTREMELY weak armour. since protect from mage/d'hide together gives nearly full invulnerbility agiainst mage, once a spell misses you have to feel the wrath of a dds spec ripping away at your no or extremely little def.

3. There is no special attack. the dds spec kills mage and mage can't KO anyone alone.

4.the best weapon, the master wand, gives +20 mage bonus. Compare that to the dark bow/greataxe. Not to mention the fact that mage can only hit up to 30 even with better weapons. I mean the dark bow can hit like 35-35 and melee can hit up to what....80???

Thats exactly what i mean:D

Magic, alone, is underpowered. However, combine barrage with addy/rune bolts or Dragon Arrows + a Dark Bow and you get a force to be reckoned with. The major advantage to magic is that you do not need any weapon to cast it. Therefore, you can hybrid quite easily with ranged.

td2sig.jpg

1. It can splash - meaning not hitting which happens a lot on other mages and hybrids because a high mage lvl gives high mage defence - think about this one.

And? Rangers and warriors cannot hit 0's, right? Yep, they always hit. Perfect hitscan. Oh wait.

And magic alone isn't underpowered in the earlier levels, but in F2p it starts crapping down in the later levels. Members still go strong forever, however as levels increase the other types of fighters get real strong stuff too. But you wanna know why mage is popular? Because you don't need to take hundreds of thousands - heck, millions - worth of items to be able to get in some good hits. If you carry in enough runes, sure, they will be more expensive, but then you'll be able to stay longer as a result.

And to the people who say stuff about the dark bow and the stuff, don't forget, most people won't take these into the wildy because they are too expensive to lose.

2077089531_93b87b9d10.jpg

You're being watched.

The Dark Bows were kind of shoved aside when Jagex upgraded the crossbows... Honestly, there is no reason to have a Dark Bow other than the special, which isn't enough to risk 4m+ when in the Wildy... The crossbows are cheap and very powerful...

td2sig.jpg

The Dark Bows were kind of shoved aside when Jagex upgraded the crossbows... Honestly, there is no reason to have a Dark Bow other than the special, which isn't enough to risk 4m+ when in the Wildy... The crossbows are cheap and very powerful...

The main reason they were shoved aside was because of the Dragonfire Shield. The Crossbows was just a dish of ice cream.

~Toxicologist~

And? Rangers and warriors cannot hit 0's, right? Yep, they always hit. Perfect hitscan. Oh wait.

And magic alone isn't underpowered in the earlier levels, but in F2p it starts crapping down in the later levels. Members still go strong forever, however as levels increase the other types of fighters get real strong stuff too. But you wanna know why mage is popular? Because you don't need to take hundreds of thousands - heck, millions - worth of items to be able to get in some good hits. If you carry in enough runes, sure, they will be more expensive, but then you'll be able to stay longer as a result.

:shame: The thing is mages hit 0's too, and if u fight a hybrid with pretty high mage you spalsh alot on him but he keeps hitting u

And bout the second part (the one with U), i dont really get the point. First of all are you telling me that a ranger/melee has to bring items worth millions to hit in wildy - no dude they dont. If you wanna talk about armour sure, cause mage has the worst armour. Second of all to have like lets say just 50 shoots of Blood Barrage, 50 shoots listen to me thats nothing, youll have to bring runes worth about 175k - aka d scim + 75k. And thats without armour.

• 3 weeks later...
I am not here to whine so please dont tell me what to do.

And sure u can freeze warriors, but then they just eat like hell, u can make like an inzane hit with dds and win, and ranged is like inzane fast.

Magic is normal speed and normal hit.

Ranged is fast normal hits.

Melee is normal speed inzane hits?

But is it fair that a person with 90+ mage can get pwned by a melee with 75 str in a close combat?

1. its spelled insane.

2. mage is supposed to get owned by melee, its part of the triangle of life.

3. mage doesnt have good armor in my opinion (defence wise)

4. if you think its so bad then switch to melee...

done with runescape

I am not here to whine so please dont tell me what to do.

And sure u can freeze warriors, but then they just eat like hell, u can make like an inzane hit with dds and win, and ranged is like inzane fast.

Magic is normal speed and normal hit.

Ranged is fast normal hits.

Melee is normal speed inzane hits?

But is it fair that a person with 90+ mage can get pwned by a melee with 75 str in a close combat?

1. its spelled insane.

2. mage is supposed to get owned by melee, its part of the triangle of life.

3. mage doesnt have good armor in my opinion (defence wise)

4. if you think its so bad then switch to melee...

1. My bad

2. The triangle goes: Ranged>Magic - Magic>Melee - Melee>Ranged

3. Just what i said:)

4. Well this post wasn't meant to be personal, and I am going to train my ranged up:)