TotalTalker

Seek God in need...

Before I start doing this thread, I just want to say can no-one please relate this to my other thread, the one about my coursework. If you havn't got a clue what im on about, then just ignore this.

Thanks.

Hey guys,

When your in need of a miracle, say if you've got no-one else to turn to, do you look to God?

Say if you know something more of less isnt going to happen, do you sit by yourself, and say a prayer to God? Wishing that the miracle will come?

Share your comments, past experiences, and reasons please.

Thanks.

Nope.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Suppose I do.

I am not christian at all but I would say that I believe in God. I find that it just helps in life having someone to talk to (not literally like) but to look up to kind of :-k

iteme3721.jpg

I look towards my friends and family for support and doctors when I need help medically. I don't look up to god or pray for miracles.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I think most people do, like if they have a family member that is near death or in danger etc.

Miracles don't exist, there is a scientific explanation for everything.

/let the flame-war commence

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Miracles don't exist, there is a scientific explanation for everything.

/let the flame-war commence

^

And what was the point of this thread lag? its just going to boil down into if you believe in god or not which we already have some 3 threads or so going on about that.

I just hope it won't happen, but whatever I hope isn't going to change the course of time.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Say if you know something more of less isnt going to happen, do you sit by yourself, and say a prayer to God? Wishing that the miracle will come?

I'm usually overly-optimistic. So even if I think/know something won't happen, I don't admit it to myself.

I don't pray, nor wish for a miracle to come. If I want something that bad, I strive to make it so.

thesip2.jpg

It really has

Friends and family. Im pretty sure that praying to God will do jack all case and point all the people in africa who pray to God as they starve to death.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

Extremely rarely. And when I do, I don't sit and pray, I just "send" a thought. It seems not to work when I am not sincere about wanting help. What's amazing however, is that the few times I've asked for help sincerely, it worked.

But in all cases, I think it is clear to us that God doesn't personally intervene in our world. But rather, when I ask help, I'm under the impression it's my guardian angel that's helping me, not God himself.

2480+ total

No, I don't. I'm agnostic, but not in the sense that I'd "give it a shot in case".

A few Christian friends seem to be divided into two types: those who pray seemingly out of habit (because "it's something one just does"), and those who actively think to themselves "I know, I'll pray to see if God does something about this...". In a conversation recently, two friends who used to be Christian but no longer are were explaining how they used to feel better after praying because they felt as if something were being done (even if nothing happened).

In a conversation recently, two friends who used to be Christian but no longer are were explaining how they used to feel better after praying because they felt as if something were being done (even if nothing happened).

How typical, of course this argument had to come up. You pray and you feel/perceive things are getting better while nothing actually happened? Possible, but no one can prove nothing actually happened. It's clear to us that no divine forces are physically modifying our world. The only thing that something divine could do is affect us psychologically, or give us an answer. However, we can compare this to a doctor giving a patient a placebo, and the patient says he feels better afterwards. There's no way to know the real answer. However, if you pray, and you feel better afterwards, hasn't the purpose of the pray been fulfilled then?

2480+ total

ya im going to believe in something that does not exist. there is real thing existing, a solid form that can live on earth. there is no miracles, only scientific explinations. and if there is some sort of higher thing out there, i dont see anyone dyeing for doing something wrong.

GOD DOES NOT EXIST!

LET THE FLAME WAR BEGIN!

stealthisandikillyoucc3.gif

^Click for my Newgrounds page!

Jedrek13.png

[stupidity]OOH, ders guna B a fLaMe War!!!11! LoLoLoL!!!![/stupidity]

Leave the man alone. He asked whether or not you appeal to a baser instinct during a time of crisis. He didn't ask for an expose' on the existence of a higher supernatural authority. And he's certainly not asking for a "flame-war" as it were.

On topic, yes I pray very often. All of them are answered. Most of the time they are answered in my favor, but when they aren't I'm able to see anything that may have put my heart in the wrong place and fix it. God and I are on very close terms, I'm proud to say. :wink:

the russians are the best! Hands down!
Womzoomed-1.gif

Contrary to popular belief, there are atheists in foxholes. I've been though lots of things I didn't deserve which I would call pretty traumatic and which led me to jump on that fine line between holding my temper and keeping away from knives or ending up in prison for murder.

Prayer never entered my mind and I've always come through the other end alive, well and sufficiently sane. :lol: :P

I don't think prayer works and I don't like it when people make a connection between a prayer and medical recovery while seemingly forgetting medicine altogether. Why won't god heal amputees?

http://www.yoism.org/?q=node/178

How typical, of course this argument had to come up. You pray and you feel/perceive things are getting better while nothing actually happened?

I thought it was clear that they meant it had been psychosomatic. I'm not sure I like the connotation of "argument", either: although what I wrote was in a literal sense an argument, I have no intention of causing an argument (in a different sense of the word).

However, if you pray, and you feel better afterwards, hasn't the purpose of the pray been fulfilled then?

Not really. If one prays and asks for task X to be completed, and instead one simply "feels better" (perhaps because a feeling of responsibility has been removed), yet the task remains incomplete, then the purpose of the prayer wasn't completed -- the person praying has just been mollified.

If prayer makes you feel better, go for it. Placebo effects FTW. I'm not going to say what I believe/do on the subject; just that it seems to be at least a psychologically effective way of making oneself "feel better".

However, if prayer replaces any possible action you could have taken yourself (i.e, I'm gonna pray the children in Africa get food, instead of say donating to charity), then that's a situation where prayer is not helpful.

sig2.jpg

However, if you pray, and you feel better afterwards, hasn't the purpose of the pray been fulfilled then?

Not really. If one prays and asks for task X to be completed, and instead one simply "feels better" (perhaps because a feeling of responsibility has been removed), yet the task remains incomplete, then the purpose of the prayer wasn't completed -- the person praying has just been mollified.

Whenever I pray, which isn't very often, mainly when I'm pretty upset, I don't pray for a task to be completed, I just pray that I, and others feel better and the certain situation is resolved. Is someone (ie God) listening? I don't know but it makes me feel better and isn't harming anybody.

Prayers, as far as i know, aren't generally to get a task done but it is just people wanting to talk to someone or have someone listen and a sense of belief or semoething to happen.

iteme3721.jpg

Why do two post end with a "let the flame war begin!" type line? Nowhere else but the internet do people give an opinion, and wrap it up with a line like that. It's like you genuinely want people to harass your viewpoint so you can attack back. I know you're implying you don't want to flame, but why even bring up the sarcastic invitation?

Anyways, sorry for going off tangent before even addressing the question. Myself, I'm an agnostic Jew, so I'll do a few mental lines of it. If there is a being out there receiving what I'm thinking, what could it hurt? It's usually a last resort type of deal when I have no one else to turn to or talk to though.

Why do two post end with a "let the flame war begin!" type line? Nowhere else but the internet do people give an opinion, and wrap it up with a line like that. It's like you genuinely want people to harass your viewpoint so you can attack back. I know you're implying you don't want to flame, but why even bring up the sarcastic invitation?

Heh, exactly what I was mocking. :lol:

the russians are the best! Hands down!
Womzoomed-1.gif

I sit down, bunker up, and make the best of the situation as possible. Damage control comes to mind.

I rest assured that if ever a case were to occur that engendered said need for a miracle, it would be due to external forces, blamable upon someone else, and thus an inescapable issue that was not of my creation.

In my interpretation of that question, it would more than likely mean that the external forces need pray for a miracle, because in my opinion, if I'm not at fault, I don't need to pray for a miracle.

---

A bit off topic but:

If it's a situation where I might die - well, I'm heavily cynical regarding persons who attribute luck and near-death escapades to some divine being. Put it this way, I'm sure those who do such attributing have great belief, but why is it that sometimes this belief 'blossoms' upon almost dying? [Does that not belittle the faith in itself? That it took a miracle to convince them, rather then being convinced prior to it?] On another hand, I'm verily sure that there have been a plethora of believers who were not so lucky as to be saved and ended up dying; funnily enough, this is usually considered to be a divine writ stating that it was 'their time to go'.

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Anyway, my friend's dad's friend used to be a drug dealer/hustler. His life was really getting horrible, and decided to go to a religous camp thing. Want to know what he does now? He is a priest at his local church. He thanks god now for everything, everyday, all the time. So how is this for a statement:

Even if you dont beleive in God, or anything religous for that matter, you can turn to Him in times of need, or great stress, and He can still turn your life around.

Are you purposoly trying to start a flame war.

Give me an explanation for this:

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?p=493 ... t=#4933346

Lol at all the forum drama about mentioning a flamewar :lol: (that goes to everyone, not just the person I quoted).

Explanation for that is easy. First of all, I am guessing you are not old enough to drive and don't really know how hard it is to get started on slick roads. What most likely happened is your grandpa put on the gas, and the wheels started to spin, but didn't move. Then the truck came by. Over the years of telling it your devout parents embellished it, .5 of a second became 3 seconds, 18 wheeler (most semis) became a 24 wheeler (which don't go on streets), 25 miles/hour became 75 miles/hour. There's no way a semi would be moving anywhere near that fast on a street, on the expressway going 70 miles per hour those things are cooking pretty rough, they can't do much more than that.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg