Will gold farmers, be the downfall of RuneScape?

brave

This is written from the perspective of P2P.

What has prompted me to create this thread is that over the past weeks I have noticed a very large increase in ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬Ågold farmersÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

I think that this is the single biggest issue in RuneScape right now and I think that it's growing by the day. Because these "players" drive raw material prices down, it makes those skills easier to get 99 in (since they become so cheap). And when they become easier, more people aspire to get 99 because it's an "easy 99." Cooking, though it has gotten better, was at an all-time low a couple months ago. Even the price of getting 99 construction dropped like 20-30m since last November, likely due to the amount of gold farmers/macroers making hundreds of thousands of planks, driving down the prices.

Basically my point is that with 99s easier to obtain (due to them becoming cheaper), more people will get them. When more people have them, there is less of a feeling of "pride" when they're achieved. If there's no pride or feeling of accomplishment, there's no motivation. If there's no motivation, there's no reason to play.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Gold farmers wont necessarily be the "downfall" of RS as long as Jagex continues to ban those accounts. If they suddenly stop banning every rule breaking account then the game would run in to the ground very quickly. It's up to Jagex to solve the problem, all we can do is slow it down.

Fear is your only God

guth8os.gif

walmart44.png

Yes, as more and more tech savvy people realise the ease of setting up macroes and then selling them for real life money the autoers will increase every day.

At every major tree there are 10 autoers, at every major fishing spot there are 20 autoers, at every flax field there are 5 autoers, at every rune shop there are 2 autoers, at green dragons there are 2+ autoers, and thats all I can think of right there.

That alone puts up at the very least 200 autoers in a world. Now consider that they are in every world, thats over 200,000 autoers signed in at a time. Then the fact that they can make autoers as easy as you can take a crap only worsens the situation.

I predict in the future we can see as many as 500 autoers per world, and unless Jagex gets a super brilliant plan the only thing they can do is slightly slowdown there speed.

"A time comes when silence is betrayal" MLKJ

Speak your mind, but be civil.

Get mad, but do not rage.

Do unto others as you would want done to yourself.

"]doughnutt.jpg

Follow the doughnut to my blog! :D

It used to be that it would be rare for autoers to say something like "buy gold at runescape clerk dot net", I've been seeing a slight increase of gold farmers. Autoers are a force to be reckoned with. Rather than believing the conspiracies that Jagex is covering up, I think Jagex is trying as the shark prices has been really high lately. Possibly due to that, I noticed that bs, lob, and flax prices has been going down. I believe there is going to be a crash on the low-lvl raw resources. The problem with this issue is that many people ignore the issue, hoping that Jagex will do it all. They fail to realize that people need to help report these bots (in other words, being good customers). I seem to think most people are lazy because there's a good chance I'll be asked this at fishing guild:

"Aba, can you do something about these bots?"

"Report them plz"

"Aba, can u ban them plz"

Jagex is aware of this issue and I don't believe they are covering up the issue; we just gotta report these autoers everytime we think someone with a funky lvl 3 character named "Zu Fang 0o0o01" is macroning, its just a click away to that report abuse button

safari20hat11.jpg

We should euthanize anyone who lacks the capability to contribute to society in any way.

Please don't elect this man for president in 2012

I believe the problem of gold farmer is due to the ... staking and pking trend

When someone go pking, or staking, someone wins and someone loses. The winner is happy and go buy a phat. How about the loser? He've just loses millions of cash or items and cannot get it back because he isn't patient / don't even have enough non-combat skills to get the money back! (especially for pures, stakers,...) See the graveyard section and you will see people showing off winning millions worth of stakes, like ammy of fury, phats, santas, whips, and so on. pkers also need to take large amount of supplies to wilderness, and these are prone to losing, like stack of blood runes. Never will you get back even a single blood runes if you die.

So, this little selfish kids, googles and finds out the RWT websites, and buy them for several bucks (this is especially true for those rich kids, say those who get thousand dollars/euros a month for leisure uses) This is like adding oil to a fire, causing the problem burn like [bleep] and out of control

In conclusion, staking and pking is fueling the problem. However, I don't have any way to stop that without making those kids furious.

Currently taking a break from Runescape

What's so bad about making these rich kids mad? I WANT to see them cry if they get banned for buying gp or are unable to do so anymore :twisted: Serves 'em right. And also, if they quit or get banned, there's less demand for gp in exchange for real life money, so there will be less gold farmers. :thumbsup:

so staking is the source of evil...?

this explains so much...

but seriously, if you can prevent gold-buying, it eliminates the need for gold-farming,. it's not just pures either, i went hunting for buyers and farmers once, saw only one staker account, the rest were normal people, one of which was a fairly high-level player.

when the runescape economy fails, i will sit there with a smile and play 'dust in the wind' on a cd player/guitar...

Do you think I am just being a doom and gloom merchant or do you agree with me?

That is the sentence that jumped out at me. Why is it that only the merchanters are screaming the loudest? Merchanting is a lot tougher now because of all the bots.

But the "downfall" of RuneScape? Nah. Just train your skills that aren't as dependant on the making of money. There is more to this GAME than just merching everything that is dropped.

4774_e3d1ea.png

I'm a married mother that plays RuneScape. Got a problem with that?

I predict in the future we can see as many as 500 autoers per world, and unless Jagex gets a super brilliant plan the only thing they can do is slightly slowdown there speed.

I believe we are close to that now. On the world I use most often (World53) the number of people logged in after midnight (UK time) used to drop to around 500-600. Now this world has consistently over 1000 logins after midnight. This means that this world probably already has around 400-500 gold farmers on it. I am sure this is not an isolated incident.

[quote name="WookieeMania12"The problem with this issue is that many people ignore the issue' date=' hoping that Jagex will do it all. They fail to realize that people need to help report these bots (in other words, being good customers). I seem to think most people are lazy.....

Jagex is aware of this issue and I don't believe they are covering up the issue; we just gotta report these autoers everytime we think someone with a funky lvl 3 character named "Zu Fang 0o0o01" is macroning, its just a click away to that report abuse button[/quote]

I totally agree with your comments here. Many times I have asked people to help me report obvious gold farmers only to get answers like "I'm too busy", "What's the point - nothing is ever done about them", etc. I think Jagex should inform us more on their progess against this plague then perhaps some of the doubters will actually start reporting.

That is the sentence that jumped out at me. Why is it that only the merchanters are screaming the loudest? Merchanting is a lot tougher now because of all the bots.

I was not referring to merchants. The phrase "doom and gloom merchant" is a common english expression meaning someone who predicts that bad things are going to happen.

Gold farmers will not be the end of runescape. If cheaters were allowed to prevail over legit players then half the games on the internet would be shut down. I can say this from having a couple positions of power on multiple MMOs that the gamemasters are doing something even it the effects are not immediate. Just because something is not announced it doesn't mean it did not happen, hence the TI hidden updates thread with all those posts. MMOs die when the players are gone, which will happen at some point in time. There are gold farmers on almost every MMO, but they do not ruin the gaming experience as much as inactive administrator teams and lack of updates. So until there is a point when a mass number of people lose interest or Jagex doesn't care anymore, and the number of people joining this game declines, RS will not die. Notice gold farming was not mentioned, they are barely a factor in the big BIIIIIIIIIg picture. This may take a while as RS is SO accessible that if it were any easier we would sit at the computer watching an exp. counter go up, so even the lil' ones can join, also with the language packs people all over the world will come in, of all ages. Don't worry about the end, take it one step at a time. Cheaters only win in their own confined world.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, as more and more tech savvy people realise the ease of setting up macroes and then selling them for real life money the autoers will increase every day.

At every major tree there are 10 autoers, at every major fishing spot there are 20 autoers, at every flax field there are 5 autoers, at every rune shop there are 2 autoers, at green dragons there are 2+ autoers, and thats all I can think of right there.

That alone puts up at the very least 200 autoers in a world. Now consider that they are in every world, thats over 200,000 autoers signed in at a time. Then the fact that they can make autoers as easy as you can take a crap only worsens the situation.

There are only 142 servers, not 1,000. That would only add up to 28,400 macroers logged on at a time. I doubt there's even that many. I've never seen a tree with more than 5-6 macroers.

EDIT: And most of the major fishing spots have much less than 20 people.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

But the "downfall" of RuneScape? Nah. Just train your skills that aren't as dependant on the making of money. There is more to this GAME than just merching everything that is dropped.

Trust you to say that ash :lol:

But no it wont be the downfall...jagex will keep doing it because people are paying jagex

There are only 142 servers, not 1,000. That would only add up to 28,400 macroers logged on at a time. I doubt there's even that many. I've never seen a tree with more than 5-6 macroers.

EDIT: And most of the major fishing spots have much less than 20 people.

Heh, woops. Mis calculated, should have been 20,000 autoers at a time.

You obviously don't travel much. The lumbridge yew trees have around 10 bots/famers/spawns of satan there. The willows at draynor have another ten. The yews at falador have around 5 per tree, and there are 5 or 6 trees there. Then there is Edgeville, which has another 5 or so autoers.

Then we have 5 autoers at falador rune shop. 1 or 2 autoers at port Sarim rune shop. The F2P lobsters probally have around 10 autoers there at any given time. Then we have another 10 autoers mining rune essence.

Now onto seers village. 10 autoers picking flax. another 10 dispersed between the random yew/magic trees. Catherby has at least 20 autoers at a time there. I've never been in the fishing guild. but its probally just as bad there.

And these are only places that I know about. There are probally a lot others out there. The fact still remains that there are over 100 autoers on any given world at one time.

100 x 142 = 14,200

Ok.. so at the very least we have 14,200 autoers signed in at all times. Now as the awareness of the profit these players make increases, we will start to see more macros appear. Right now it may only be 100 per world, but its slowly going to creep up and increase too 200, then eventually 300.

Right now autoers are a vastly big plague, sure they help drive the prices down. But they also drive your selling prices down, so they don't really help the community. The only way for Jagex to reverse this downword spiral would be to change how accounts are made and how one logs in.

"A time comes when silence is betrayal" MLKJ

Speak your mind, but be civil.

Get mad, but do not rage.

Do unto others as you would want done to yourself.

"]doughnutt.jpg

Follow the doughnut to my blog! :D

The effect of macroers in RuneScape is overrated. If Jagex goes banning autoers at the current rate RS will thrive for years, even decades, or until some company/companies really decide(s) to bring down RuneScape.

Plus nowadays I see like max. 5 macroers at each yew. Even less occasionally. Though that might be because some could be there but still need to hug willows until they get to 60 wc.

2077089531_93b87b9d10.jpg

You're being watched.

This is written from the perspective of P2P.

1. The ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬Ågold farmersÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

Pgkhqob.jpg

Proud Tip.It Moderator December 07 - October 2009
Proud TETAU Member 2006 - 2007 <3
"I had a standing agreement with god. I'd agree to believe in him, barely, so long as he let me sleep in on Sundays." - Rose Hathaway
[ Posting & You ] [ Forum Rules ] [ Next Tetau Event ]

To review the topic again - Are autoers bringing about the downfall of RS...?

No they aren't, BUT they are having a dramatic influence on the economy of RS. Look at the price of sharks jumping like a kanga, flax and bowstrings are at an all time low, nats are dropping, coal is rising, drag bones are 1/2 price compared to a few months ago and even iron ore is rising. All because of bots/macros.

I have no problem in paying top dollar to buy resources that have been hand picked by a real player (lets call them organic resources), rather than paying a lower price for resources collected by a bot - I'm sure most wouldn't. The problem is that no matter how hard Jagex try to remove the bots, they are unlikely to remove them all.

Can they remove enough bots to not allow them to affect the economy? I doubt it, so we either put up with automated characters controlling the price of raw materials, go collect your own, buy 'organic' resources only, or just quit RS. If the falling price of flax etc makes you so fustrated you will quit, then RS is probably not the game for you anyway.

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I'll save this information for my next article. It seems article-worthy to me. :-k

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

I don't think the shut down of RS is going to happen. However, the prices WILL fall to a point where it'll be a matter of days for one to get 99.

I'm sorry, I don't understand that comment at all. It will take the same amount of time to get to 99 irrespective of prices, surely?

Anyway, do macroers/gold farmers take resources from others? I don't think they do. If I'm fishing, I catch fish as quickly with nobody else at my spot as I do if 30 others were there. If I'm woodcutting, the trees spawn fast enough (magics excepted) for me not to worry how many others are there.

If I'm buying fish/logs, the more autoers/farmers on-line the cheaper the goods.

If I'm selling fish/logs, no matter the price, I'm making pure profit anyway. I will agree however I'll be making less profit if there are more autoers, but it's still pure profit if I gather the resources myself.

*Dons anti-flame shield and drinks 4 anti fire pots*

Teeg

I believe the problem of gold farmer is due to the ... staking and pking trend

When someone go pking, or staking, someone wins and someone loses. The winner is happy and go buy a phat. How about the loser? He've just loses millions of cash or items and cannot get it back because he isn't patient / don't even have enough non-combat skills to get the money back! (especially for pures, stakers,...) See the graveyard section and you will see people showing off winning millions worth of stakes, like ammy of fury, phats, santas, whips, and so on. pkers also need to take large amount of supplies to wilderness, and these are prone to losing, like stack of blood runes. Never will you get back even a single blood runes if you die.

So, this little selfish kids, googles and finds out the RWT websites, and buy them for several bucks (this is especially true for those rich kids, say those who get thousand dollars/euros a month for leisure uses) This is like adding oil to a fire, causing the problem burn like [bleep] and out of control

In conclusion, staking and pking is fueling the problem. However, I don't have any way to stop that without making those kids furious.

To be honest, it sounds like you're saying pures are to blame. And im inclined to believe you...

Pures are the source of so much agro within runescape. They moan endlessly whenever there is a great update that doesnt suit them (PC anyone?) and they only put time and effort into a small number of skills. It therefore stands to reason that they are the people most likely to risk their account being banned by buying cheap gp over the internet, as they will have not put much effort into their account and it will not be such a big deal for them to lose it...

Rsfunnyconvo.jpg

Isloman.png

1700+ Total!! QP Cape! W23 resident.

To be honest, it sounds like you're saying pures are to blame. And im inclined to believe you...

Pures are the source of so much agro within runescape. They moan endlessly whenever there is a great update that doesnt suit them (PC anyone?) and they only put time and effort into a small number of skills. It therefore stands to reason that they are the people most likely to risk their account being banned by buying cheap gp over the internet, as they will have not put much effort into their account and it will not be such a big deal for them to lose it...

Blaming pures for the number of bots in RS is the funniest thing I have read in a while. I suggest you make a pure and then decide on how much actual resource you are buying from bots. You will find that it is very little, if any.

No bots are out there making recoils, rune plates, gathering zerker helms, slaying for whips etc. Sure you will end up buying food, and some might be from bot owners. Take note though that shark prices and lobby prices (cooked) are very similar now to a year ago. There was the influx of cooked sharks a month or so ago, which would have helped pkers (many of whom are pures), but this was a result of people wanting raw sharks for 99 cooking rather than an influx of pures wanting a huge supply of sharks.

Lets look at the majority of bots out these shall we. Woodcutting bots at yews and oaks. These guys are these to supply the fletchers/construction guys and mages (alching yew longs). Flax pickers, solely to supply fletchers and mages. Rune buyers, again solely for mages. Green drag autoers and blue drag borgs, provide hides to crafters and bones for all players for prayer.

Fishers, supplying raw fish to the 99 cooking fraternity with the sideline being cheaper than normal cooked lobs/monks/sharks for pkers.

Only the mage is helped out by bots, now go to edge wildy and see how many pure mages there are using all those deadly spells! Good luck spotting 1% of edge pkers as a pure mage, or even using spells for that matter.

In summary, the bots are there providing raw materials for the sole purpose of assisting players reach a 99 level quickly and cheaply. Pures do not influence the materials that bots gather, it is the skill cape guys doing it all by themselves.

Bots are like artificial stilts that give a boost to a virtual economy. Rather than having to wait for it to slowly develop legitimately, gaming companies just let all the Asian gold-farming companies take care of everything.

Of course, bots lead to massive inflation, which is why there can't be too many of them.

I don't think Jagex is purposely letting the autoers stay in this game, but I don't think they care enough to find a way to get rid of them either. Think about it. Without bots the prices of yew trees would skyrocket, which would cause a lot of complaining that it's too hard to make money because of it.

Most people initially hate macroers, but after a massive ban when the price of a raw material goes up they start wanting them back. They don't seem to understand that wanting these cheaters in the game is just as wrong as actually buying from them.

I think that Jagex regards macroers as a necessary evil. They control them enough so that they don't get out of hand, but they never even attempt to completely get rid of them.

I don't even think Jagex realizes what they're doing. They're basically being indifferent. They announce a half-hearted campaign againts bots that offers little permanent effectiveness.

The only right thing to do is make this problem their highest priority, and actively search for ways to permanently fix it. Doing anything but this is the same as running the bots themselves.

An economy without bots means you would have to work harder, but it would be a lot more secure and stable than what we currently have...and I bet it would last longer too.

In no way am I announcing Jagex is intentionally destroying their game. All they're doing is falling into the same trap of human nature people have fallen into for millenia, one where the victim sees exactly what the evil is and wants to defeat it, but stops short when he realizes what he must sacrifice.

So, in answer to this thread, yes I DO believe that some day gold-farmers will destroy this game. When that happens, Jagex will simply create another game and the cycle will continue.