Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Will gold farmers, be the downfall of RuneScape?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

drapit
[ Display Name History ]

drapit

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 737 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:drapit
I don't think the shut down of RS is going to happen. However, the prices WILL fall to a point where it'll be a matter of days for one to get 99.
Posted Image

Teeg
[ Display Name History ]

Teeg

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • RSN:Teeg

I don't think the shut down of RS is going to happen. However, the prices WILL fall to a point where it'll be a matter of days for one to get 99.

I'm sorry, I don't understand that comment at all. It will take the same amount of time to get to 99 irrespective of prices, surely?

Anyway, do macroers/gold farmers take resources from others? I don't think they do. If I'm fishing, I catch fish as quickly with nobody else at my spot as I do if 30 others were there. If I'm woodcutting, the trees spawn fast enough (magics excepted) for me not to worry how many others are there.

If I'm buying fish/logs, the more autoers/farmers on-line the cheaper the goods.

If I'm selling fish/logs, no matter the price, I'm making pure profit anyway. I will agree however I'll be making less profit if there are more autoers, but it's still pure profit if I gather the resources myself.

*Dons anti-flame shield and drinks 4 anti fire pots*

Teeg

Isloman
[ Display Name History ]

Isloman

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 33 posts

I believe the problem of gold farmer is due to the ... staking and pking trend

When someone go pking, or staking, someone wins and someone loses. The winner is happy and go buy a phat. How about the loser? He've just loses millions of cash or items and cannot get it back because he isn't patient / don't even have enough non-combat skills to get the money back! (especially for pures, stakers,...) See the graveyard section and you will see people showing off winning millions worth of stakes, like ammy of fury, phats, santas, whips, and so on. pkers also need to take large amount of supplies to wilderness, and these are prone to losing, like stack of blood runes. Never will you get back even a single blood runes if you die.

So, this little selfish kids, googles and finds out the RWT websites, and buy them for several bucks (this is especially true for those rich kids, say those who get thousand dollars/euros a month for leisure uses) This is like adding oil to a fire, causing the problem burn like [bleep] and out of control

In conclusion, staking and pking is fueling the problem. However, I don't have any way to stop that without making those kids furious.

To be honest, it sounds like you're saying pures are to blame. And im inclined to believe you...

Pures are the source of so much agro within runescape. They moan endlessly whenever there is a great update that doesnt suit them (PC anyone?) and they only put time and effort into a small number of skills. It therefore stands to reason that they are the people most likely to risk their account being banned by buying cheap gp over the internet, as they will have not put much effort into their account and it will not be such a big deal for them to lose it...
Posted Image
Posted Image
1700+ Total!! QP Cape! W23 resident.

alcoolj
[ Display Name History ]

alcoolj

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 952 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Ivahobo
  • RSN2:Nicealcoolj

To be honest, it sounds like you're saying pures are to blame. And im inclined to believe you...

Pures are the source of so much agro within runescape. They moan endlessly whenever there is a great update that doesnt suit them (PC anyone?) and they only put time and effort into a small number of skills. It therefore stands to reason that they are the people most likely to risk their account being banned by buying cheap gp over the internet, as they will have not put much effort into their account and it will not be such a big deal for them to lose it...

Blaming pures for the number of bots in RS is the funniest thing I have read in a while. I suggest you make a pure and then decide on how much actual resource you are buying from bots. You will find that it is very little, if any.

No bots are out there making recoils, rune plates, gathering zerker helms, slaying for whips etc. Sure you will end up buying food, and some might be from bot owners. Take note though that shark prices and lobby prices (cooked) are very similar now to a year ago. There was the influx of cooked sharks a month or so ago, which would have helped pkers (many of whom are pures), but this was a result of people wanting raw sharks for 99 cooking rather than an influx of pures wanting a huge supply of sharks.

Lets look at the majority of bots out these shall we. Woodcutting bots at yews and oaks. These guys are these to supply the fletchers/construction guys and mages (alching yew longs). Flax pickers, solely to supply fletchers and mages. Rune buyers, again solely for mages. Green drag autoers and blue drag borgs, provide hides to crafters and bones for all players for prayer.

Fishers, supplying raw fish to the 99 cooking fraternity with the sideline being cheaper than normal cooked lobs/monks/sharks for pkers.

Only the mage is helped out by bots, now go to edge wildy and see how many pure mages there are using all those deadly spells! Good luck spotting 1% of edge pkers as a pure mage, or even using spells for that matter.

In summary, the bots are there providing raw materials for the sole purpose of assisting players reach a 99 level quickly and cheaply. Pures do not influence the materials that bots gather, it is the skill cape guys doing it all by themselves.

Hi9im8Here7
[ Display Name History ]

Hi9im8Here7

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 281 posts
Bots are like artificial stilts that give a boost to a virtual economy. Rather than having to wait for it to slowly develop legitimately, gaming companies just let all the Asian gold-farming companies take care of everything.

Of course, bots lead to massive inflation, which is why there can't be too many of them.

I don't think Jagex is purposely letting the autoers stay in this game, but I don't think they care enough to find a way to get rid of them either. Think about it. Without bots the prices of yew trees would skyrocket, which would cause a lot of complaining that it's too hard to make money because of it.

Most people initially hate macroers, but after a massive ban when the price of a raw material goes up they start wanting them back. They don't seem to understand that wanting these cheaters in the game is just as wrong as actually buying from them.

I think that Jagex regards macroers as a necessary evil. They control them enough so that they don't get out of hand, but they never even attempt to completely get rid of them.

I don't even think Jagex realizes what they're doing. They're basically being indifferent. They announce a half-hearted campaign againts bots that offers little permanent effectiveness.

The only right thing to do is make this problem their highest priority, and actively search for ways to permanently fix it. Doing anything but this is the same as running the bots themselves.

An economy without bots means you would have to work harder, but it would be a lot more secure and stable than what we currently have...and I bet it would last longer too.

In no way am I announcing Jagex is intentionally destroying their game. All they're doing is falling into the same trap of human nature people have fallen into for millenia, one where the victim sees exactly what the evil is and wants to defeat it, but stops short when he realizes what he must sacrifice.

So, in answer to this thread, yes I DO believe that some day gold-farmers will destroy this game. When that happens, Jagex will simply create another game and the cycle will continue.

Doughnut
[ Display Name History ]

Doughnut

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Warlab67
They don't help, by driving the buying price down they are also driving the selling price down. So we make little money to buy cheap goods, or we can make a lot of money to buy expensive goods. I'm for the latter.

Shazarabbit
[ Display Name History ]

Shazarabbit

Official Tip It Bunny

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

So, in answer to this thread, yes I DO believe that some day gold-farmers will destroy this game. When that happens, Jagex will simply create another game and the cycle will continue.

Gold farmers can't damage something if people don't buy from them. Ultimately its the players who are wrecking the game. The Gold Farmers skill and sell for cash and then sell the cash to players which is against Jagex's rules and code of conduct.

As much as people would like to think autoers are the reason for item prices they aren't. People lower prices to "steal" or "lure" buyers and encourage competition to lower their prices so that they can buy the product cheap and sell it for a higher profit. It's all to do with merchanting.

I don't think gold farmers are wrecking runescape. If players stopped buying from them they'd move to a different game simple.

Pgkhqob.jpg

Proud Tip.It Moderator December 07 - October 2009
Proud TETAU Member 2006 - 2007 <3
"I had a standing agreement with god. I'd agree to believe in him, barely, so long as he let me sleep in on Sundays." - Rose Hathaway
[ Posting & You ] [ Forum Rules ] [ Next Tetau Event ]

astro_dude
[ Display Name History ]

astro_dude

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 181 posts
Has anyone noticed the increse prices of yews? Why? Becuase the new random drove out most of the autoers. It just shows how much Bots (Gold Farmers) have an affect on the runescape Econemy.
Posted Image
Posted Image

foodmanfood1
[ Display Name History ]

foodmanfood1

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:foodmanfood1
this is why we have to do all we can to completly annihalte the botters wipe them from existance... It'll be hard, but we can perservere, i hope... :ohnoes:
I don't like fun, it upsets me.-- Marilyn Manson

solidsteve
[ Display Name History ]

solidsteve

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 81 posts
well i dont think it will be the down fall but it will show the people playing for fun apart from the people who just play to brag that there better

the game is not just about money or the market crashing, man if there is a market crash i think it will be good for the game

the means are there to live without the money on this game so why is every one fretting

just think, mine 1k essence, make in to runes, use for magic, a wonderful 3 steps procedure cuts out the need for the market

Mico
[ Display Name History ]

Mico

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 936 posts
Goldminers the downfall of RuneScape? :-s Ever heard of immature brats?
RSN:Mico1311 Combat: 82 Highest skill: Fishing 75 Playing time: From around August 2003

The guy in my avatar is Veso, a comedian mastermind.

mchainmail
[ Display Name History ]

mchainmail

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
We have to keep 2 different things in mind. While bots can lower prices on many things, outside factors can also change them. With MTK/Royal Trouble, an ever increasing amount of maple logs, coal and flax are entering the economy. At first these supplies were used up as they came in. But eventually, there was a surplus, and prices began to drop.

It isn't all autoers. Many updates can affect it too.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users