computer games stole my son

hockey0510

Bad parenting as many people said it's not the games fault he does the game to run away in a virtual world.

I'd grab him and make him watch the computer being smashed to little bits. Then i'd ground him to inside the house until school starts again.That meens no hanging out with your buds or anything. Then he must sweep and mop the floors everyday. Maybe then he'll learn and then he might be able to play 30 minutes a day.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

during the summer, i have like 6 hours a day when im doing absolutely nothing. i play runescape in my free time. but when i need to practice guitar, or french horn, or clean up or something i get off and do that.

and if a friend calls me i'll be on the phone for 3 hours.

if my dad wants to listen to music with me i get up and go.

runescape is just something to pass the time.

i'm not addicted.

and dont these people know they're his parents? :-s

16574381pm8.png

What ever happened to giving your kid a good whallop? If you can't bear the thought of striking your child, you're not a parent. I bet after a few weeks, he'll have forgotten RS and be a nice lil college boy. Here's my scenario:

(Parent walks in on kid playing excessively)

Parent: What are you still dong here? I thought I told you to go to bed!

Kid: Just 10 more minutes mom...

Parent: You've played for over 7 hours! Get off that darn (I don't know if Tip.It allows the d word) machine!

Kid: No.

Parent: I said get off! You can play a little tomorrow.

Kid: No! Now get away from me!

Parent: Is that so?

(Parent walks over to the computer tower and holds down the power button)

Kid: What the Hell are you doing?! Get away! Stop! Stop it!

(Computer turns off)

Kid: Oh my God, why did you do that?! I was still playing!

Parent: Yeah! After I told you to stop!

Kid: So? I'm not even tired! Besides it's just a game, can't I relax in this house?

Parent: What do you think you've been doing for this whole day? if you don't cut this stupid game out of your life, I'm gonna cut off the Internet.

Kid: No! What are you crazy?

Parent: Save myself 17 bucks a month and get you away from a dumb screen, that's what.

Kid: I hate you!! Just let me play!!

(Parent smacks him on the head)

Parent: No! You've got to stop! It was okay when you only played 3 hours a week, but now you play that much right when you wake up!

Kid: But I want it....I like it...

Parent: You know inside that it tears your spirit. I never see you smile when you play, but when you were younger you smiled all the time. I haven't seen a smile from you since you started playing this darn game.

Kid: I know...

Parent: Just stop. I'll help you, but only you can end it once and for all. Are you man enough for it? (Oh yeah, right there, no man, no matter how weak, can stand the manliness question)

Kid: Alright, I'll try it. I'm sorry. (Ouch my head...)

Parent: Come on, let's go to sleep. We'll start in the mornin'. I'm tired as hell.

(Kid smiles)

(Parent smiles)

There you go. Another family brought together by the one and only me.

Man, I should charge for all this free crap I do.

Hyt Chat FOREVER

Killy_Da_Kid.png

Killy_Da_Kid.png

I have quit RuneScape. I have posted on the Leaving sticky saying so. Goodbye.

"Too late... my time has come... gotta leave you all behind and face the truth."

~ Freddie Mercury ~

computers stole me son...and a dingo ate my baby. This kid's parents need to stop being dramatic and take action.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Oh noes! my son is addicted to runescape, what should i do?

Cut the internet?

Drive him to school and take him to his teacher first thing so he can't just pretend?

Talk to my kid?

Password protect things?

No, I've a better idea! To hell with my kid ill call the newspaper...because thats the best thing to do.

_

Stupid parents :/

I'm not a parent. I'm only 17. But this isn't about being a parent and the difficulties you face. This is common sense -.-

"The family is struggling to find help for him, and a succession of psychologists and counsellors have not yet made any progress with him."

...cut the internet. Then how will he play? It's not Runescape that's the problem, it's something else if he feels the need to retire for 6 hours a day, not go to school, and the councellers can't help him - he has other issues, computer games aren't to blame they just give him an escape.

"His sister moved out because she couldn't cope with his bizarre addiction. "

That's why she moved out? Either that's a blatant lie, or that is one seriously weird chick.

Runescape isn't to blame, he just sounds depressed.

And to one poster here:

"What ever happened to giving your kid a good whallop?"

I hope you die painfully. Thats an absolutely disgusting way to treat a child, you show them love and respect not abuse, what kind of example would that be setting to your kids? Using fear to control your kids? Maybe in the hsort term they'll appear to be better, but it'll create much larger problems that they're too scared to talk about. Sounds healthy right?

Don't blame it on the parent alone, chances are the problems that caused that kid to seek pleasure in virtual worlds instead of the real world are caused by something happening at school, something the parent cannot know of. It would be the kid's teachers to try to understand the problem, but teachers fail miserably at identifying things like that. After all, he wouldn't play Rs if he had something to look foward to when going to school. Maybe he has poor social-skills, no friends, low self-confidence, etc. It's always underlying problems that cause addiction.

I can't believe the family has used many therapists and couldn't find the problem. You would give me two hours with the child and I'm confident I would be able to find the particular underlying problems who caused his addiction.

2480+ total

Well maybe it could be due to an anti-social nature, we don't necessarily know that. We also don't know if there was any lack of motivation to go to school, nor do we know if there was a serious social order wrong with the child. Even though those things are out of a parent's control, I'm sure there would've been no harm in telling him to go to the mall once or twice in a month.

I can't believe the family has used many therapists and couldn't find the problem. You would give me two hours with the child and I'm confident I would be able to find the particular underlying problems who caused his addiction.

Oh, so you're a professional psychiatrist? I didn't know that.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Oh, so you're a professional psychiatrist? I didn't know that.

I'm not, but I do know a lot in psychology and more importantly in this case about mmorpg addiction. As I said, I'm confident in my abilities, if you don't like it, be my guest, sit frustrated in your computer chair.

2480+ total

well, first of all it's apparently about a father's son, and secondly, it's the families problem. if this kid decides, "i'm gonna throw my life away for runescape" then that's either the kids fault or his parents fault for not taking action. the only thing that comes outta throwing your life away from a game is a bad future and a helluva lot of flaming.

And good stats!!!!!

first off, if your a parent and look to blame [cabbage] on others... like when parents ask there kids "Where did you learn that from? Who taught you that!"

no, it goes

"I dont ever wanna see you doing that again." (and maybe a smack, or some other kind of decipline)

and the dumb woman says "When i try to turn it off he gets agressive!"

thats when you get a pot/pan/telephone/belt/foreign object/lead pipe/a few soup cans/a fist full of knuckles and throw them/it at his/her face until them/it breaks.

than you tell them when they are on the floor in a haze

"Now get agressive with me!"

i mean really, most kids who get a nice beating here and there for being a jackass and deserve it turn out better people. i used to get my [wagon] whooped when i deserved it for doing stupid stuff, and now im a much better person, i have manners (Only in real life, the interweb isnt worthy of them :) haha) and am very respectful and i know why, end of story.

not sayin its the only way, but if nothing else is working, give your kid a nice big bowl full of "Im The Boss" Soup.

addymdefault,Joshthegod.gif

Controversy and Chaos!!!

"The family is struggling to find help for him, and a succession of psychologists and counsellors have not yet made any progress with him."

have they tried changing the computer password i wonder?

all it comes down to is their parenting, they should try restricting his computer access instead of waisting thousands of dollars on shrinks.

but i guess they're just doing what parents do, making things worse. :roll:

nudist hippy vegan elves who inexplicably wear leather.

This kind of horrified me. #-o

"A time comes when silence is betrayal" MLKJ

Speak your mind, but be civil.

Get mad, but do not rage.

Do unto others as you would want done to yourself.

"]doughnutt.jpg

Follow the doughnut to my blog! :D

'Pmg. My s0n is add1cted, and 1n5tead of par3ntal contr0l, I R s311ing h1s st0ry to t4e newspaper fur m0ney to use for gambl1ng.'

I hate when people do this, all they have to do is remove the computer from the room, and BOOM no more RS.

~Congratulations on 99 Parenting - You can now let your child play in the road~

~ Original six ~ 6 99 skills ~ 2b+ bank ~

Retired upon the destruction of the duel arena

Ahhhh only in todays society can parents blame a "Computer Game" for making them: Evil, fail in school, fail in life, etc...

I love reading those articles saying how kids dropped out of school to play a videogame ... Sure when I started playing runescape ( in 7th grade ) I got addicted to it. Because I had never played a RPG before, let a lone a MMO where I could raise skills and chat with my friends at the same time. I would play for hours after school, and during this time of my life I use to play Soccer so I had Three 2 hour long practices a week and usually 2+ games each weekend. So its not like I did nothing else. But try as I did, my parents never let me stay on the computer forever and the sure as heck wouldn't of let me miss school to play. I'm pretty sure my dad would've gotten so mad he'd hit me :Q

This is just another case of parents looking for scapegoats, since they don't know what to do with their child, or they just don't want to hurt their little feelings :ohnoes:

Always Rollin' in RSC

Do you love Harry Potter ?

sdik 3 evah yeht ,ynnig seirram yrrah

In my opinion, a sad family all around. The kid hasn't obviously heard of a thing called self-control. Secondly, the parents are shockers. Don't just sit there, cut the cable, block the site, whatever...They are making it sound like the game is some hardcore drug. It isn't. It's a game. You can easily stop yourself from playing. There are some sad people in this world...

Sadly, it's articles like this that give games a bad name. The media have been using video games as scapegoats for years.

Mamong.png

336489.jpg

[Tip.It Mod][Retired][Add your Steam name here!]

what kind of [cabbage] perents they are. If i would try to miss school for 1 day because of computer games, my prenets would know and i would get pounded so hardly that i couldn't see, computers.

My goodness, the perents are the ones who sh0uld be taken away.

The clock is ticking, and your time is running out, mortals.

Thank god I live in Victoria. That is ridiculous. Well actually its great. I love this sort of journalism. They create hyperboles out of anything. You have kids this age strapped with a gun in Sudan, which is expected to work. People killing all the time, education is a hope there. You may find something about it on page 10 of a newspaper in a particularly slow news time. Then you get crap like this, its just fantastic.

"we've got to stay positive for his sake." I'd laugh if I wasn't so angry about how stupid some people are.

Also how dare they liken RuneScape to alcohol.

It's the parents' fault, what did they not stop it earlier? It also said he was a "registered player" and that his father allowed it, so does that mean he was a member? All this points to bad parenting. Bad parenting + fun, yet stupid RPG = game addict

mememe513.png

As a parent and as someone that has battled (and beaten!) an addiction to internet, here are my thoughts:

There is usually an underlying problem - bullying, low self esteem, problems with friends, family, peers etc - that leads to someone living their life out through a monitor and keyboard. Before an addiction to the internet/online game can be beaten, these issues need to be addressed. If the parents are unaware of the problems or unwilling to take them seriously and just address the addiction, the kid will find another addiction to take it's place.

But having said that, the parents also need to do whatever they can to prevent this kind of addiction taking place. Monitor internet usage, play attention to things like how often the kid goes out with friends, dropping grades and of course, how much time is spent on the computer.

If they don't become aware of the addiction until too late, then they need to take whatever steps are neccesary. Sit with them while the kid is on the computer. Cancel the internet. Stop them from going to friends places to use a computer. Talk to them about the situation. Try to find something other than the internet/game to occupy their time - sports, reading, building model ships.

Nobody plans on becoming an addict of any kind.

The parents in this article lose big time. Sitting around saying "What are we going to do?" isn't going to achieve anything. There are so many steps they could take to try and help their son and to me, it comes across as though they've just given up.

I wonder if they'd react the same way if their son had become addicted to drugs?

Ananke32.png

How about this one:

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/story_p ... ews4.shtml

GAMES MADE MY SON KILL

THE parents of Britain's most violent teenage murderer has revealed how computer games dripping with bloodlust and death (Manhunt) turned their son into a twisted killer.

In many cases, they are probably getting the cause and the symptom mixed up.

Is every teenage joyrider a driving game addict?

Do "tombstoners" get that from a game?

Ther has to be a type of personality that will be drawn to violence, to aggresion, to risk taking, or to addiction.

On the lighter side, how many were thinking... "Addicted to runescape, there must be better games you could be addicted to".

Such a thing can happen to a person with a weak mind. That doesn't say anything about RuneScape, or the other people playing it. The kid could get addicted to anything, be happy it's RS instead of drugs.