computer games stole my son

hockey0510

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19766590/

"While child abuse because of drug addiction is common, abuse rooted in video game addiction is rare, Viloria said."

Probably the parents failed indeed and there are probably also a lot of others factors. But let's relativize, the reason there are such a lot of articles about it, is because it hardly happens and it's new.

There are way more drug addicts, way more war victims, way more people dieing from obesity or malnutrition, way more road accidents, etc. Banning those games seems overkill to me (There are games banned like this), we're not banning weapons too, are we?

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

I know, like wtf.

They aren't good parents, and that kid needs to get a life.

I mean im in honors and AP classes and almost failing half of them, not because im dumb or anything, its not because of runescape either. I have a social life.

But before that I was super depressed. No social life, total addict on rs. Almost straight A's.

I bet anyone here would rather hang out with friends than click on a screen once in a while, and if my parents didn't keep me cooped up and grounded all the time, i'd get off the computer and DO something constructive, instead of being yelled at about playing a game and getting grounded, therefore rekindling the cause of parental opression.

RS is good. However you play it is your choice. If it's your parent's fault. Don't blame them, they just cant deal with us new age kids, so they ground us and confine us to options... like RS.

Long live Social Democracies, Communism, Freedom, and Equality :thumbsup:

Down with Grades, Homework and Borders! :thumbsup:

Let people do what they want with their lives, including right to play a game! :XD:

Dude I hate siggies...

Gosh, it must be nice for so many "experts" here to be able to just hand-wave off this REAL problem by saying "oh, the parents clearly just suck".

Well sorry, but it's not that simple.

Yes, in many cases the parents could be doing a better job. But there ARE serious addiction issues with online games, and they won't disappear just because you all want to stick your collective heads in the sand.

But do keep fooling yourselves as long as that serves some purpose for you.

~q

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Gosh, it must be nice for so many "experts" here to be able to just hand-wave off this REAL problem by saying "oh, the parents clearly just suck".

Well sorry, but it's not that simple.

Yes, in many cases the parents could be doing a better job. But there ARE serious addiction issues with online games, and they won't disappear just because you all want to stick your collective heads in the sand.

But do keep fooling yourselves as long as that serves some purpose for you.

~q

Did you ignore or just not notice all the posts that have stated there is a deeper issue than just the game?

Ananke32.png

If I were a father and Knew my son played this game.. I'd let him play his heart out drop in his grades and then. THEN! I would show him the results I'd show him how much weight he's gained all the stamina gone from him how exhausted he is.. all of that, then I would hope that he would get boredof the game and stop :)

I hope you never have kids.

Lmao owned so hard.

I think I remember reading another article like this. Maybe it was the NovaLyfe Interview. He gave up everything to play runescape and his parents supported him. Although, he finally did realise that what he was doing wasn't right and quit.

Maybe it'll happen to this good too, who knows.

made0f12une.png

^^ClicK^^

"I backed my car into a cop car the other day

Well he just drove off sometimes life's ok

Alright already we'll all float on

Alright don't worry we'll all float on" - Isaac Brock

Days Hunting:4 - Kingly Imps Caught:2

Money Earned: 4.5-5m

I think thats stupid... people should have some will power its not that hard.

Even with drugs have some will power.. unless your sticking a needle in ur arm (which to me just takes over your will power) its really not that hard to say no and stop ur legs from going to get that next "hit" or in runescape its not that hard to move ur hands away from the mouse/keyboard and sit in another room.

Say, if a bunch of tip.it'ers got together, we could probably make a bunch off of a rehab from Runescape clinic.... charge a good deal, have parents send their kids there, give them Runescape counseling, show them the wonderous game that is "outside", etc.

It would be quite amusing to see something like that go up.

---

On a more serious note:

Some of this is bad parenting. The parents are the ones who're supposed to be in charge, they should be in charge darnit.

However, there's something more serious involved when someone is playing Runescape at that level of addiction, I'd have the kid checked for mental imbalances or the like: it's obviously becoming like an addictive drug to him--something that it doesn't do to other people, which suggests to me there's a deeper problem then just the game in that kid's life.

Say, if a bunch of tip.it'ers got together, we could probably make a bunch off of a rehab from Runescape clinic.... charge a good deal, have parents send their kids there, give them Runescape counseling, show them the wonderous game that is "outside", etc.

It would be quite amusing to see something like that go up.

ROFL i agree. We can give them alcohol and use that to control there runecape addiction. :thumbsup:

The family are feeling emotional depression from such a sad ongoing addiction.

Of course it was the right thing to do, but I do not believe that this should be exploited in the Newspapers because it's going to give Jagex/RuneScape such a bad reputation, all because of one person who has become addicted which has led onto bad outcomes for himself and his family.

I do feel sorry for him, and for the family. Let's hope he can cut down on how long he plays, and for things to be back to the normal state once again!

But yeah, he's not the only one who's got an addiction problem from RuneScape, but, it was his choice to play 16 hours a day, and this problem could've been prevented from the beginning, when it wasn't such a major issue.

- Honoured ::'.

honoured_guy.png

honoured_guy.png

Need A Question Answered About RuneScape? Message Me!

MAN IF THESE GUYS WERE IN NSW THEY WOULD BE CHARGED WITH CHILD NEGLECT!!!!!!!! its simple dont pay for the internet bill son cant do anything about it can he?

if he stabs or gets violent all he will do is get sent away and the parents should think about not going for the money way but rather TALK to the kid man if my parents found i skipped school they would TALK to me first rather than blame it on a computer game obviously trying to have it shut down

its like a little girl and a lollie shop if one is closed down she will look for another one

therefore the parents plan will NEVER work which is good for those who play rs but are not obsesed :XD:

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Since when does playing for 14 hours a day show an addiction? I play for up to 15 hours sometimes, why? Because I can, and because I have nothing better to do.

If you read my previous post it sounds like I am condeming the kid, no I am not. I'm condemming the [bleep]ing parents for letting him be a scapegoat so they can be in the news.

Do you know how he lives at all? Don't you dare [bleep]ing judge someone without knowing every microscopic detail.

:shame:

"A time comes when silence is betrayal" MLKJ

Speak your mind, but be civil.

Get mad, but do not rage.

Do unto others as you would want done to yourself.

"]doughnutt.jpg

Follow the doughnut to my blog! :D

there may have been something that the nurse said to anger the boy (or even done)

and also the parents SHOULD know whats in their kids games as my mum usually stops and watches to see some of the content in my games (no complaints yet must be choosing ok games in her standards :) )

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Since when does playing for 14 hours a day show an addiction? I play for up to 15 hours sometimes, why? Because I can, and because I have nothing better to do.

If you read my previous post it sounds like I am condeming the kid, no I am not. I'm condemming the [bleep] parents for letting him be a scapegoat so they can be in the news.

Do you know how he lives at all? Don't you dare [bleep] judge someone without knowing every microscopic detail.

I agree don't make assumptions you can only judge on what you know and what that article has given isn't even enough to judge.

If you read my previous post it sounds like I am condeming the kid, no I am not. I'm condemming the [bleep] parents for letting him be a scapegoat so they can be in the news.

Do you know how he lives at all? Don't you dare [bleep] judge someone without knowing every microscopic detail.

I wasn't judging him at all. I'm just saying that IN THIS CASE, the guy has played 16 hours of RuneScape each day, and has found himself becoming addicted, and also skipping School because of it.

It's not like this problem would've happened if he played 1 hour a day, right?

Not everyone becomes addicted by a Game if they play a large amount of time per day, but he chose to, and seems he has become addicted because of it.

honoured_guy.png

honoured_guy.png

Need A Question Answered About RuneScape? Message Me!

omg 16 hours straight :shock: :shock: :shock:

I think one rainy day, I played RS for like 4 or 5 hours straight... then i wanted to kill myself.

I dont think i could do 16 hours a day for two months... He's probably not alone.

And what the paper said about the graphics getting better making more addictions... It's not like RuneScapes graphics are up to standard of other games.

I wasn't judging him at all. I'm just saying that IN THIS CASE, the guy has played 16 hours of RuneScape each day, and has found himself becoming addicted, and also skipping School because of it.

It's not like this problem would've happened if he played 1 hour a day, right?

Not everyone becomes addicted by a Game if they play a large amount of time per day, but he chose to, and seems he has become addicted because of it.

True, but this whole thing is probably blown out of proportion. First the parents were most likely exaggrating and then we know the article company made it even more exaggerated.

"A time comes when silence is betrayal" MLKJ

Speak your mind, but be civil.

Get mad, but do not rage.

Do unto others as you would want done to yourself.

"]doughnutt.jpg

Follow the doughnut to my blog! :D

:shock: I guess he never could be a scientist anyway, since he get's that addicted. I still go to school, even though I mostly only sit on my computer in the spare time...

Give a man a lighter, and he will be warm for a while.

Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

LOL!!!! :lol:

Funniest thing I've ever read!!

Are the damn parents [developmentally delayed]?? Take away the friggin computer if it's that bad, so what if he gets aggressive, he's 15, they're supposed to be his parents.

And ROFL, it says his sister moved out because of his addiction.

And at the end: "I really pray that he gets better. We've got to stay positive for his sake.''

LOL!ROFL!LMAO! Parents FAIL.

You pretty much posted what I was going to say.

This article made me laugh out loud for REAL !!!!!!! :XD: :XD: :XD: :XD:

And I mean realllllly badly XDXDDXD SOOOOO FUNNY WHAHAHAHA.

About the parents not knowing what to do and how he did every single sport that existed and now he's "white" I think they mean pale but whatever, and his sister moved out because of his bizarre addiction???????? YEAH RIGHT.... Come on idiots, if you want to get runescape down don't try to hit it from this angle, they way I read this those parent are complete idiots XDXD

How can you now know your kid isn't going to school for 2 months?????? HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY NOT KNOW????????

And then that he becomes violent and blablabla, the stupid kid is 11 years old you freaks :S He can't hurt you, lock him in his room with some books until he cools down and then take him outside to a swimming pool or something....

Ohw and the best parts are at the end XD XD XD XD

"Recently he has admitted it, before he was in denial. He wants to get back to what he was like. He wants to get better. He wants to go to school. He can't -- it won't let him. It's like any addiction.''

No need to comment this XD

The family is struggling to find help for him, and a succession of psychologists and counsellors have not yet made any progress with him.

No other comment then IDIOTS required here either....

to finish this post...

WHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thnx for this great laugh :) I really enjoyed this very much !!!

...Silver

p.s. Sorry if I may have sound a bit offensive, I swear I'm not usually like this but come on, if they start lieing I'll start flaming :S

Yea, I'd have to agree with the parent. When your sense of responsibility has gotten so low that your child is at home, skipping school for two months to play a video game for 16 hours a day, you've hit a point where you can't return.

Social Services should take her kid away and put him in a better home.

A better home filled with the Wii :D (if hes obsessed at least he'll be healthy)

Now this child needs to get some counseling, and his parents need to be thrown in Jail for letting it escelate to this level. This article might give the game a bad name to the irresponsible parents but the more responsible ones will not worry and make us quit. My parents (for example) come up to check on me in my room every once in a while when I'm playing to make sure I'm playing and not on some other risque website. I also have the responsibility to limit myself to only a few hours a day if any. If theres schoolwork to be done I get that done first because that actually counts towards my career and determines if I become rich or if I become a hobo that has 99 in all stats.

Hopefully I can work for a few years at Intel's labratory (I've always wanted to be a geek and get paid for it ::' ) and become a rich rich man. A rich rich man that has an awsome computer, works part time for Jagex and be an idea guy there too. I can stay on Tip.it and make sure we get recognized as RuneScape's only official help site, and that RuneHQ is a bad place to go (they advertise gold selling, and do nothing about it!!)

Yeah Im a nerd... 8-)

Pasty.png

Its her fault for letting it get that far. She has a responsibility to make sure her kids dont end up like this. IMO the kid should be taken away from her and put somewhere hell be taken better care of.

Torlen.png

(I don't know if Tip.It allows the d word) machine!

Man, I should charge for all this free crap I do.

Umm... if u said "crap", i'm pretty sure u can say "damn"

Anyway, i hope my parents dont see this article cos they might just ban me from playing.