Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Awww? Poor gold farmer? [please lock]

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

Omar
[ Display Name History ]

Omar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,722 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

Macroers ruin the economy of a game I care about, therefore I have a right to loathe them. Buying gold only encourages the actions and working conditions of the horrible sweatshops.

Then I think the gold farmers have a right to loathe you, because you care for a game, something virtual and not really so important more than for a life. If I could give my GP to a goldfarmer to eat today and tomorrow, I'd do it.

Yah, and I'm so sure that pimps enjoy pimping [garden tools], and bank robbers love robbing banks, but thats not the point because its-

STILL AGAINST THE LAW!!!!!!

They aren't playing the game the way it was meant to be played. If it was meant to be played like that, there would be no law preventing it. It's Jagex's game, not the little Asian gold farmers (this doesn't mean in not sympathetic to poverty stricken Asian families), Jagex spends money on it, Jagex spent the time and effort to make and maintain it, therefore abusing it is like destroying someone else's property.

What the author meant was that the farmers enjoyed it. Because, y'know, it wouldn't really work if the farmers hated the game. Although Jagex spends time and effort making this game, does it not occur to you that they are currently making money, although there's a ton of gold farmers out there?

The bold point is a paradox.

Lets say you have 1000$ in your bank account. Thats your property, right? Then a person comes along and takes 10$ a week without your permission out of this account. You finally catch them in the act after days of trying to find the source of this problem. Your pretty pissed at them, but they just say "Hey, this money is for all the starving children in Africa. It's for the greater good dude, so don't worry." How would you feel then?

But the situation above isn't the exact same. This would be the on, I think:

Let's say you have 1000$ in your bank account. That's your property, right? Say you make 15$ of profit everyday, but someone steals 10$ off you everyday and says it's for starving kids in Africa. How would you feel?

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can
Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?
Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?
Camera guy: still laughing
Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy
Camera guy: runs away still laughing
Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down
Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!
Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

reaper88888
[ Display Name History ]

reaper88888

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,300 posts
For goldfarmers, the choice is basically either play a stupid game 18 hours a day, or work in a factory making plastic toys 18 hours a day... Which would you choose? Yeah, I feel sorry for them, but they help keep prices low.
There is no meaning or truth in life but that which we create for ourselves.
Posted Image

Unoalexi
[ Display Name History ]

Unoalexi

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,317 posts

Macroers ruin the economy of a game I care about, therefore I have a right to loathe them. Buying gold only encourages the actions and working conditions of the horrible sweatshops.

Then I think the gold farmers have a right to loathe you, because you care for a game, something virtual and not really so important more than for a life. If I could give my GP to a goldfarmer to eat today and tomorrow, I'd do it.

No, I do not care about a virtual game more than a human life. I don't know how you drew that conclusion from my quote.. Maybe you should read the bolded sentence a little more carefully..

As for the bit about giving your GP, good for you. :roll: Personally, I'd rather give money to the Red Cross or Unicef than buy stolen property. Plus, I was refering to buying GP, so this sentence doesn't apply.

Yah, and I'm so sure that pimps enjoy pimping [garden tools], and bank robbers love robbing banks, but thats not the point because its-

STILL AGAINST THE LAW!!!!!!

They aren't playing the game the way it was meant to be played. If it was meant to be played like that, there would be no law preventing it. It's Jagex's game, not the little Asian gold farmers (this doesn't mean in not sympathetic to poverty stricken Asian families), Jagex spends money on it, Jagex spent the time and effort to make and maintain it, therefore abusing it is like destroying someone else's property.

What the author meant was that the farmers enjoyed it. Because, y'know, it wouldn't really work if the farmers hated the game. Although Jagex spends time and effort making this game, does it not occur to you that they are currently making money, although there's a ton of gold farmers out there?

The bold point is a paradox.

It doesn't matter, it's still stealing. I doubt the police would pardon you for stealing a million or too from Bill gates, even for a charity fund. Your sentence might be less, but it would STILL BE CONSIDERED AGAINST THE LAW!

Lets say you have 1000$ in your bank account. Thats your property, right? Then a person comes along and takes 10$ a week without your permission out of this account. You finally catch them in the act after days of trying to find the source of this problem. Your pretty pissed at them, but they just say "Hey, this money is for all the starving children in Africa. It's for the greater good dude, so don't worry." How would you feel then?

Let's say you have 1000$ in your bank account. That's your property, right? Say you make 15$ of profit everyday, but someone steals 10$ off you everyday and says it's for starving kids in Africa. How would you feel?

I was only using it as a semi-example.. I don't know how this relates to the argument whatsoever..
Posted Image
Here be dragons ^

Dragon of the Day
Posted Image

Triforceelf
[ Display Name History ]

Triforceelf

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 198 posts

I'd say I can donate to orphens on my own time. It is neither the governments nor anyone elses job to force charity on anyone. My money is my money and it is between me and God what I do with it.
Posted Image

123Yourgone
[ Display Name History ]

123Yourgone

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,950 posts
Jagex rules and the law are 2 very different things.

Unoalexi
[ Display Name History ]

Unoalexi

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,317 posts

The buying and selling of stolen gold is theft of Jagex property, as well as copyright violations.
Posted Image
Here be dragons ^

Dragon of the Day
Posted Image

123Yourgone
[ Display Name History ]

123Yourgone

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,950 posts

The buying and selling of stolen gold is theft of Jagex property, as well as copyright violations.

No it isnt.

Its clearly stated in almost all gold trades that you are only trading the time and effort used to gather the gold.

And how is it theft?, the pixels are right there on jagex servers, nothing was taken from them at all.

Ss_J9_Goten
[ Display Name History ]

Ss_J9_Goten

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
If they consider their terms of use a contract then it would be contact violation. And it could be theft of intellectual property as they are selling Jagex's items without permission.

Omar
[ Display Name History ]

Omar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,722 posts
I'm not saying what they're doing is good, I'm saying it's not as bad.

(Talking about the 1000$ analogy)
Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can
Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy
Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Omar
[ Display Name History ]

Omar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,722 posts
Bump!

Iamdan
[ Display Name History ]

Iamdan

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,417 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

A more accurate situation would be:

Say you have $1000 in your bank account. That's your property, right?

Say you get paid a profit of $15 a day between 15 people. ($1 each)

But 5 other people also give you $1 a day, but scare away 2 or 3 of the other people. This is a $3 profit increase. These 5 people also feed starving people in africa in return for letting them give you money.

(gold farmers buy membership, and annoy a very small amount of people enough to make them quit, the paying gold farmers easily outweigh the legit quitters)

Omar
[ Display Name History ]

Omar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,722 posts
I'm confused. I'll think about this later on...

IAm314159
[ Display Name History ]

IAm314159

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 147 posts
Sometimes, for them to survive, gold farming is the only way in which they can earn money. Although I do not like macroers keeping the prices of commodities down, as I'm a F2P yew woodcutter. :evil:
My Blog
Join the Campaign for more F2P Bank Space!

[bleep], my parrot has better grammar than you.

Posted Image

HOSTiLE_KAi
[ Display Name History ]

HOSTiLE_KAi

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:HOSTiLE KAi
  • RSN2:Hkdollars
Soz mate but most of the commodity prices didn't actually drop significantly over a LONG period of time, let say yew logs it did fell to 250 ea at some point (for 1 or 2 months?), but nowadays its sitting at 300+ ea due to the fact there are more demand in that material and possibly because of more players.

Ore prices (it rose because of bolts imo), rune ess (due to the pure ess update), and lobsters (this never fell at all)behaved the same way too.

However they did take out a CHUNK of resources from the legimate players who truly play the game for fun.

The thing is I think gold farmers are pretty unrealistic, but you gotta reconsider that they may suffer from a lack of jobs and other reasons that you can sympathize on.
Total Level 2247- 11x 99s All Combat Skills, Slayer, Summoning, Woodcutting, Herblore

WookieeMania12
[ Display Name History ]

WookieeMania12

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
So... Bots are good because they keep the economy "stable"? The last time there were so many bots, the shark prices went down to about 300-400gp ea. That meant that a lot of fishers wanted to fish lobs (around 200gp ea) because they were quicker than sharks. That meant that those who are cooking for 99 cooking found it harder to find people who would sell a lot of sharks. So, if you consider that "stable", then I recommend that you have your head examined. Especially Wcing bots. Example:

the good honest player: Selling 10k yew logs 350gp ea!!!

As you can see, the honest player is making money while being a rather nice guy.

The autoer: Selling 100k yew logs 200gp ea

What the heck happened? He lost his business to a bot! Later on, the yews became 200gp-300gp ea because many bots were selling yews at cheap pricers.

That stable?
Posted Image

We should euthanize anyone who lacks the capability to contribute to society in any way.

Please don't elect this man for president in 2012

HOSTiLE_KAi
[ Display Name History ]

HOSTiLE_KAi

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 266 posts

So, if you consider that "stable", then I recommend that you have your head examined. Especially Wcing bots. ...

The autoer: Selling 100k yew logs 200gp ea...That stable?

You should follow your advice, because the price never once plunged to 200ea...Unless the amount of yew tree spawns is doubled :XD:

For sharks to drop to 300~400 there must be 2x or 3x number of shark fishers that fish like an average fisher. But reconsider cause sharks are constantly expensed.
Total Level 2247- 11x 99s All Combat Skills, Slayer, Summoning, Woodcutting, Herblore

WookieeMania12
[ Display Name History ]

WookieeMania12

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,519 posts

So, if you consider that "stable", then I recommend that you have your head examined. Especially Wcing bots. ...

The autoer: Selling 100k yew logs 200gp ea...That stable?

You should follow your advice, because the price never once plunged to 200ea...Unless the amount of yew tree spawns is doubled :XD:

For sharks to drop to 300~400 there must be 2x or 3x number of shark fishers that fish like an average fisher. But reconsider cause sharks are constantly expensed.

First, that is what I call an "example". This never happened, but I'm pointing out what is "stable" in the RS economy. :XD: Second, I don't know if you were there, but before May 1st, 2007, sharks were around 300-400gp ea. How come? Sharks. Anyway, the point was that the bots only ruin the economy for everyone (its hard for the buyer to get sellers if something they are buying is so ridiciously cheap). Please read my posts if you want to quote them.
Posted Image

We should euthanize anyone who lacks the capability to contribute to society in any way.

Please don't elect this man for president in 2012

purfishx
[ Display Name History ]

purfishx

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,539 posts
I have a question:

Who created the idea that all goldfarmers are poor chinese that work for low wages and in bad conditions?
Posted Image
Sigs by: Soa | Gold_Tiger10 | Harrinator1 | Guthix121 | robo | Elmo | Thru | Yaff2
Avatars by: Lit0ua | Unoalexi | Gold Tiger .

Hello friend, Senajitkaushik was epic, Good luck bro.

m4tty
[ Display Name History ]

m4tty

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,143 posts

I have a question:

Who created the idea that all goldfarmers are poor chinese that work for low wages and in bad conditions?

umm maybe the fact that they are? quit being ignorant and get back on topic.

HOSTiLE_KAi
[ Display Name History ]

HOSTiLE_KAi

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 266 posts

Second, I don't know if you were there, but before May 1st, 2007, sharks were around 300-400gp ea.

Some1 confirm this (I only saw 600 @ lowest).

I rather have a more realistic example than an impossible one. :-w

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users