Eragon worth reading?

Abelmisi

I want to read other bestsellers than Harry Potter, is there any chance to find another awesome book like that?

I think I should start with Eragon, but I heard that it is a huge Lord of the Rings plague, is it actually worth reading? I saw the film and it was pretty damn boring.

rickastleywh7.png

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read the books, don't watch the movie.

EDIT: You already did... :wall:

Still, read the books.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

I want to read other bestsellers than Harry Potter, is there any chance to find another awesome book like that?

I think I should start with Eragon, but I heard that it is a huge Lord of the Rings plague, is it actually worth reading? I saw the film and it was pretty damn boring.

a lord of the rings plague? what do you mean by that? The lotr books are fantastic.

I'd recommend

The wind singer trilogy (the wind singer, the slaves of the mastery, firesong) - William Nicholson

The edge chronicles (beyond the deepwoods, stormchaser, midnight over santaphrax, last of the sky pirates, vox, freeglader, curse of the gloamgloazer, clash of the sky galleons) - Paul Stewart / Chris Riddel (this has the best illustrations i have ever seen)

The Sabriel Trilogy (sabriel, lirael, abhorsen , across the wall) - Garth Nix

Artemis fowl ( artemis fowl, arctic incident, eternity code, opal deception, lost colony) - Eoin Colfer

The power of 5 (Raven's gate, evil star, nightrise) - Anthony Horowitz

Shade's Children - Garth Nix

His Dark Materials (Northen Lights, Subtle knife, amber spyglass) - Phillip Pullman

I'd rate all of those above Eragon tbh. All of them fantastic fantasy books.

Tk5SF.png

Ok heres a worth while answer to your question on Eragon.

Eragon is an amazing book for those just getting into Fantasy books, if you've read LOTR, Wheel of Time, Narnia, Terry Brooks (Shannara Trilogy and whatnot), His Dark Materials, ect ect - then Eragon won't be that good of a book to you

I still say read it, cause the movie was freakin horrible compared to the book

unorclanpixelsigzu1.png

Thanks to the amazing talent of Jopie211 for the sig!

Finest Fist of Guthix Strategy Guide

If you actually enjoy a good read that takes alot of thinking.... Then Tolkien's books are for you. As far as fiction goes he has probably one of the most thought out fictional worlds... Just read the Samarillion.

The other thing is it depends on your reading level. I know that I was reading 300 page books when I was in 3rd grade and finished reading a series with 15+ 300-400 page books 3 times by the time I was out of 5th... (by the way, if you can't tell I'm sort of a nerd...) Why I wouldn't suggest that series to you is they are very jovial books. (And about 5 use the same plot dressed up differently)

As far as books I've read go (The books that are on Jaziek's list are a very good starting place by the way...) If you've read Harry Potter then you shouldn't have a problem with books like Eragon. I personally haven't read the Harry potter series, but I believe Eragon takes a new different feeling to magic... As far as fantasy, but still conected to our current world books go I would suggest Artemas Fowl. With Lord of the Rings (The books) you will probably either love them, or get bored to death with them... (I personally love them....)

Womzoomed-1.gif

What has become of the runescape community???? :wall:

There is a community?

I would suggest Artemas Fowl
]

Artemis Fowl books are amazing...they once thought Eoin Colfer (the author) would catch up and be up there with JK Rowling, but that never really happened. their still great books

(Look below my name "unorclan" and you'll notice my RSN is bookgeek)

unorclanpixelsigzu1.png

If you actually enjoy a good read that takes alot of thinking.... Then Tolkien's books are for you. As far as fiction goes he has probably one of the most thought out fictional worlds... Just read the Samarillion.
You could understand the Samarillion? :o

Loved the LOTR books as did alot of people i know but nobody at all could understand/get into that book.

iteme3721.jpg

You may enjoy the Alex Rider Series by Anthony Horowitz. Bit like a teenage James Bond.

Theyr good... but they arent really fantasy novels.

sort of related - does anyone know if they are making a point blanc film?

Tk5SF.png

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.

You can come back and ask your question again in a few months' time.

Very good choice (where I got my name from :thumbsup: ).

Eragon the book was great, although the author did use Tolkiens ideas for many elements in the book. The movie was [cabbage], and all copies of it should be burned.

~~Let The Dragon ride again, on the winds of time~~

dragonrebornkr1.jpg

I've always felt as if I'm the only person who can understand the concept of sarcasm on the internet.

I dont know what your taste in books is but if you can handle heavy reading i surly can recommend Dune and Hyperion. Awesome.

The other thing is it depends on your reading level. I know that I was reading 300 page books when I was in 3rd grade and finished reading a series with 15+ 300-400 page books 3 times by the time I was out of 5th... (by the way, if you can't tell I'm sort of a nerd...) Why I wouldn't suggest that series to you is they are very jovial books. (And about 5 use the same plot dressed up differently)

I dunno, I didn't want to sound like the only books I've read so far are the Harry Potter series, I've read a lot of others including Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, Twist Oliver and loads of others. It's just I didn't enjoy those, HP is among the few books that actually "got me interested".

a lord of the rings plague? what do you mean by that? The lotr books are fantastic.

:arrow:

Eragon the book was great, although the author did use Tolkiens ideas for many elements in the book.

Thanks for the books by the way, I'll be sure to check them out!

rickastleywh7.png

Believe me, Eragon did not rip off Tolkien. Paulini has probably strayed as far off from the Tolkien-fantasy template as possible (seeing how 99% of fantasy books somehow infringes on Tolkien's realm). If you want to know what Eragon looks suspiciously like, read the Star Wars Original Trilogy. Then read Eragon. The similarities will jump out at you.

As for good fantasy books, I would recommend:

-Any Eoin Colfer book. His books are easy to read, but still fun. Best place to start would be the Artemis Fowl series.

-Try the Bartimaeus Trilogy. I liked it, although it's not the nice, cute world of magic Harry Potter lives in. It's a little bit more grim.

-His Dark Materials is an excellent read, although the scope of book expands incredibly from the first book, which is just the story of a certain child, to the second book which deals with good vs evil on the scale of the entire universe. And did you know they have a movie planned for the Golden Compass (December 7, 2007)?

Life is a joke. Yeah, I don't get it either.

Believe me, Eragon did not rip off Tolkien. Paulini has probably strayed as far off from the Tolkien-fantasy template as possible (seeing how 99% of fantasy books somehow infringes on Tolkien's realm). If you want to know what Eragon looks suspiciously like, read the Star Wars Original Trilogy. Then read Eragon. The similarities will jump out at you.

As for good fantasy books, I would recommend:

-Any Eoin Colfer book. His books are easy to read, but still fun. Best place to start would be the Artemis Fowl series.

-Try the Bartimaeus Trilogy. I liked it, although it's not the nice, cute world of magic Harry Potter lives in. It's a little bit more grim.

-His Dark Materials is an excellent read, although the scope of book expands incredibly from the first book, which is just the story of a certain child, to the second book which deals with good vs evil on the scale of the entire universe. And did you know they have a movie planned for the Golden Compass (December 7, 2007)?

preach on! me and you should become friends \'

unorclanpixelsigzu1.png

Terry Goodkind!!!!!!11Come on people!

I don't want to turn this into a rant of how crappy and inaccurate the Eragon movie was, but please don't associate it with the book. The books are quite good, and the movie doesn't even make an attempt to do it justice.

Shutup.jpg

Golden Sun= the best game ever made?

Farming and construction are dumb. I am proud to have level 1 in both.

How to write very bad guides (B3$7 3\/4R!!!!1)

The film sucked, but the book was awsome. Trust me, I have read both of the books about 50 times combined :lol:.

tfssig.png

I dunno, I didn't want to sound like the only books I've read so far are the Harry Potter series, I've read a lot of others including Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, Twist Oliver and loads of others. It's just I didn't enjoy those...

I dont blame u :D

actually Dune and Hyperion are classified under science fiction not fantasy(though i think they are somewhere in the middle....)

if you got the patience,do read them,amazing books.

I dunno, I didn't want to sound like the only books I've read so far are the Harry Potter series, I've read a lot of others including Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, Twist Oliver and loads of others. It's just I didn't enjoy those, HP is among the few books that actually "got me interested".

it's called oliver twist you noob.

wwidas6.jpg

Eragon is worth reading. I would also recommend Artemis Fowl and the Edge Chronicles.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

Totally agreement! Those are some of the best books EVER.

Eragon was written (or began, it was finished later) by a teenage guy, so what do you expect? It's not as good as Harry Potter. But the 3rd and final book in the Eragon trilogy is due within the next few years, so go ahead. It's not bad, I just don't like Chris Paolini's style.

Read some of Anne McCaffrey's books, or Orson Scott Card's Ender series.

:shame: DON'T READ ARTEMIS FOWL.

Those are some of the stupidest books ever..

Totally agreement! Those are some of the best books EVER.

have you read shade's children? Its not in the same fantasy style but its fantastic. Imo its better than that trilogy.

Tk5SF.png

I liked Eragon. It's pretty easy to tell where the author got his ideas, but still a good read. Anne McCaffrey's Pern series is good sci-fi/fantasy and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time is probably my favorite series ever.

3zh5ap4.jpg

Early to bed and early to rise makes a man sleepy and blind in the eyes.

Carai an Caldazar! Carai an Ellisande! Al Ellisande!

If it's the thought that counts, why aren't humans innately telepathic?