CraggyP's Steel/Iron Dragon Maging Guide

craggyp

read the equipment part of the guide. ahrims no staff is better than infinity, which is better than mystic. but mystic is by far the cheapest and easiest to obtain.

if you're gonna cast fire bolt, you need the chaos gloves.

glory is good. I think technically fury is better, but thats so expensive, you'd hate to lose it somehow.

for any other questions, please refer to the guide first, thats why I made it :)

craggyp.png

craggyp.png

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow great guide :) I'll definitely have a go at this, what is the approximate mage xp (an hr) if its over 30k and considering the drops I'm 100% sure im going to go :)?

:twisted: YoUr UnDeR ArReSt AnYtHiNg YoU SaY WiLl Be MiSqUoTeD AnD UsEd AgAiNsT YoU :twisted:

Pawan.png

I would have to say that Magic dart is MUCH more useful.

I have 89 magic, and when i was last at drags (88 magic) it took me 40-50 chaos per drag.

Now, at 89 magic, ive killed 3 iron drags and 1 steel with 98 deaths.

Frankly, i think thats more worth it.

Lets say at 40 chaos per drag, that would be 4*40 = 160 chaos

160*130=20,800 for 4 drags with chaos

98*270=26,460 per 4 drags with deaths

Not bad considering its 2x as fast and other rune costs.

More xp also, and that matters also :)

thanks for all the support guys, I really appreciate it. nice to know I'm helping some people out. as far as AOW, well, I'm not in charge of that, but if it gets the mods' attention, that would be sorta cool :D

when it comes to the dart/bolt question, I mostly rely on cost. with chaos gauntlets, bolt does 15 damage max. dart does 19 max. those numbers are pretty close, but each casting of the dart costs over twice as much as casting bolt. if it did twice as much damage, there would be no difference, but since I'm not a billionaire, or really even a millionaire, I can only afford to buy stuff every once in a while, and I have to go with whatever is more cost effective.

yes, dart is faster. but the god spells are even faster yet, their max damage is 30! it all comes down to balancing what is important to you. if you have virtually no money, buy minds and go with strike spells. it'll take an eternity, but it works. if you have unlimited cash, buy whatever runes you want.

I believe that fire bolt is the best economical value, considering time, damage and cost. and the average person can afford 1.8mil every now and then to buy 10k chaos, 40k fires and go hunt some big game. its all personal preference, but I was trying to appeal to the largest group of players out there. plus you need 55 slayer for dart, and even I don't have that yet. :D

when it comes to drops, the ultra-rare stuff like dragon armor and weapons are gonna be few and far between and thus will vary the most with respect to how often you get them. you might get 2 very quickly then get none at all for 100s of dragons. it averages out over a long period of time

craggyp.png

craggyp.png

Im at about 30-40 casts of dart each steel.

BTW, i lucked out and got a visage meleeing. sold, andbought some darts and went maging. Got my second visage after 6 more trips, and about 300 killz

That's awesome. Would have been nice if you posted pics of both drops.

aglipoy.png

• 1 month later...

just wanted to post a slight update.

originally I bought 1.8m worth of runes (10k chaos and 40k fire), then after getting a visage, I bought another 20k/80k. in the process of using those runes I leveled my mage from 60 to 75, half to get from 60-70, the other half to 75.

in the first half, I got 1 visage drop. in the second half I got 3 skirts.

considering I killed anywhere between 600 and 750 dragons total, this is a pretty good record.

not gonna say these results are typical, but it just goes to show you can make money doing this, and if you pump all profits back into runes/potions/food/equipment you can go for quite a while. of course, it helps to get a visage, cuz that pays for a good 100k spells, but it can be done even without one.

craggyp.png

craggyp.png

• 2 weeks later...

BTW, another great tip is the crossbow pouch, you can hold

ruby (hits in the 30s for iron, 4,s for steel on special)

Some food needed cuz u get hit back, dmg decreases as u hit.

emrald bolts for poison(these r useful because a fight lasts very long. POISON HITS 5.

Mith/addy for primary damage dealing

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

• 3 weeks later...

as far as how many anti-fire potions to buy, you want to consider how many you'll bring per trip and how many trips you're gonna make. if you buy 10k spells, you might want to start with 25-30 potions and get more as needed. you'll probably need more, but if you don't like killing them (*gasp!*) you might not want to be burdened with more than you need. on the other hand, you can always re-sell stuff on the grand exchange. if that's your plan, go nuts!

again, thanks for all the creative criticism. I love seeing that people appreciate the guide and, when they see room for improvement, see fit to explain their methods and reasoning clearly.

oh, and the bit about prayer potions increasing your fishing level was sorta a little joke. you know, a joke? something amusing? :D

craggyp.png

craggyp.png

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

thanks for the compliments. it turns out that ranging is much more profitable than maging (due to increases in rune costs) but both are fun ways to gain experience and are good alternatives to the mindless but fast methods we've all heard of.

craggyp.png

craggyp.png

I didnt read the second page so excuse me if this has already been mentioned, broad bolts work fairly well against them since they have the accuracy of above mith bolts with themax of an adamnt bolt.

maulmachine4.png

Corporeal Drops:2xHoly elixers

Bandos Drops: Bcp(soloed) 5x hilts 8x tassets

Armadyl Drops:Armadyl Hilt(trio)

Zamorak Drops: 2xZamorakian spear 3x Steam battlestaff

• 2 months later...

Bookmarked this great guide :P ok here is a tip to poison them.

instead of going into melee range bring some emerald (e) bolts and a rune crossbow. I would recommend 70+ ranging, although i highly recommend 80+ (81 atm) these bolts poison farm or often than dds in my opinion. and if you are using rub (e) bolts, bring baskets of strawberry, like 2-3 as each strawberry heals 4-6 each (based on hp?) so its 20-30 per basket. and use these bolts till they are at 3/4 health, although i was them to 1/2 :P im gonna try this soon. I know a great place to get chaos rune, but I can't tell (then it would get crowded, and there is only 1 spot to kill them with only a few spawns so yeah...) you also get tons of minds/cosmics there so you could sell those (minds would not help you get too many chaos runes lols) also, 101 for the guide... and i would recommend 70 mage at the least, unless you mine ur own p ess and make nats and sell those and buy chaos with them... which isn't a bad ideal i just thought off :P

10/10

Ss4goku264.png

ss4goku264.png

thanks, either method is probably decent, but your range bonus will be quite low with all the mage gear on. but then, your melee bonus will be low too... its up to you I guess.

strawberries heal 5, so a basket is 25. however, due to the cost of ruby(e) bolts and the need to waste space in food, I dont recommend using ruby(e). emerald(e) and either addy or broad bolts work just fine.

also, thanks maul, I've added broad bolts to the guide.

craggyp.png

craggyp.png

Bookmarked this great guide :P ok here is a tip to poison them.

instead of going into melee range bring some emerald (e) bolts and a rune crossbow. I would recommend 70+ ranging, although i highly recommend 80+ (81 atm) these bolts poison farm or often than dds in my opinion. and if you are using rub (e) bolts, bring baskets of strawberry, like 2-3 as each strawberry heals 4-6 each (based on hp?) so its 20-30 per basket. and use these bolts till they are at 3/4 health, although i was them to 1/2 :P im gonna try this soon. I know a great place to get chaos rune, but I can't tell (then it would get crowded, and there is only 1 spot to kill them with only a few spawns so yeah...) you also get tons of minds/cosmics there so you could sell those (minds would not help you get too many chaos runes lols) also, 101 for the guide... and i would recommend 70 mage at the least, unless you mine ur own p ess and make nats and sell those and buy chaos with them... which isn't a bad ideal i just thought off :P

10/10

Ghostly warriors, their is a guide on them already, most people pick armoured zombies over them.

But yeah, good guide, just needs to be updated here and there.

• 8 months later...