Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Longsword Versus Scimitar

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
239 replies to this topic

00hydro
[ Display Name History ]

00hydro

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 213 posts
I'm getting a strange error so i'll put it down here:

Longsword: 11

Scimitar: 6
Posted Image

Beezleboss
[ Display Name History ]

Beezleboss

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 1 posts
the speed bonus of a scimitar doesnt justify it being weaker than a long sword, and the special is so-so

the dragon longsword has a better special and because of the new knight waves training, its versatility is more helpful

Beezleboss
[ Display Name History ]

Beezleboss

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 1 posts
long sword

the scimitars +1 speed doesnt really give it the edge over the stronger dragon long

the special for the longsword is helpful but the scimitar's special is so-so

plus because of the new knight waves training ground, the dragon long's slash and stab is a better choice to use

Aneron
[ Display Name History ]

Aneron

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,782 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Aneron
  • Clan:DGS
Everyone who says longsword has obviously never compared exp rates. Scimitar crushes longsword.

For everyone who says longsword for controlled, you could just use scimitar on accurate, then scimitar on aggressive, then scimitar on defensive to get the same amount of exp in less time.

Of course, I just use a whip on controlled all the time, instead of using a whip for attack and defense, then scimmy for str like some people do. :roll:

syndrome445
[ Display Name History ]

syndrome445

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 94 posts
scimmy, it just owns like that
Posted Image
click my (very bad) siggy for blog

IAm314159
[ Display Name History ]

IAm314159

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 147 posts
Definitely the Scimitar.

It attacks every 2.5 seconds while the Longsword attacks every 3 seconds.

With all that comparable strength and slash bonuses, it does gives a marginal amount of xp more than the longsword, but that marginal amount adds up over time.
My Blog
Join the Campaign for more F2P Bank Space!

[bleep], my parrot has better grammar than you.

Posted Image

klankaos
[ Display Name History ]

klankaos

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • Location:In mah house. Or Falador Library, whichever's closer.
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Klan Kaos
  • Clan:Phoenix Collective

scimmy better nuff said

Make a good post, please. This is the debate club, not the idiot club. You're supposed to actually debate, not just state your opinion.

Anyways, IMO, scimmy is better. You only lose one hit, and make up for it with three hits to every four (or something of the sort). So it's possible to hit far more with a scimmy. Even the special doesn't make up for that, because you can't do it often enough, although the scimmy's special really sucks. The only place where a long would be better would be fighting a monster with weak stab defence, like the giant mole.
Posted Image

Being immature is a part of being mature.

ThruItAll
[ Display Name History ]

ThruItAll

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,219 posts
It's quite close this one, if you have your dagger in your inventory, the dragon scimitar pulls through for there. But the longsword is easy to get, and worth it, its slightly more powerful and has a half decent special attack. Both are as good as each other, I'm going to have to go with the Scimitar for a few reasons:

-Speed is essential.

-Hits around the same range as the dragon longsword.

-Almost everyone has the dragon dagger, for lost city is alot easier than Monkey Madness.
Posted Image
danke Schon Sam!^^
"Blood runs thicker, oh were thick as thieves you know"
-Carl BarĂ¢t

IAm314159
[ Display Name History ]

IAm314159

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 147 posts

long sword

the scimitars +1 speed doesnt really give it the edge over the stronger dragon long

the special for the longsword is helpful but the scimitar's special is so-so

plus because of the new knight waves training ground, the dragon long's slash and stab is a better choice to use

I believe not. The scimitar crushes the longsword in terms of fighting ability without the special, but the longsword is superior ONLY WITH the special. In terms of versatility, the longsword owns, but the slash style combined with good stats should be able to defeat most monsters easily, except for those creatures whose defence against slashing is exceptionally high, i.e. dragons.

Personally, I wouldn't use a Dragon Longsword for a Special. I'd use a Dragon Dagger (poisoned would be better)! Use up the whole bar, and your poor opponent is dealt 8 quick stabs with increased attack and strength in his/her/its abdomen.

As I have already said earlier, the scimitar attacks every 2.5 seconds while the longsword attacks every 3, thus resulting in 6 strokes with the scimitar in the space of 15 seconds while the longsword can only manage 5. The disadvantage in stats that the scimitar possesses is offset by its speed.

Of course, as I am F2P, I cannot truly say how the Dragon Scimitar compares against the Dragon Longsword. All I can say is that in my own experience, the Rune Scimitar completely owns the Rune Longsword. It gains a slightly greater amount than the Longsword, that soon adds up to great figures.

Unless you like to take a random slash with a 2-h sword, of course... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
My Blog
Join the Campaign for more F2P Bank Space!

[bleep], my parrot has better grammar than you.

Posted Image

lol000999
[ Display Name History ]

lol000999

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,404 posts
Speed isn't everything. If it is then Dragon Dagger must be the best weapon in the game no arguments or everything thats what your saying to me. But seriously it depends on what you're doing on exp rates I'm afraid D scimmy is the winner. In terms of PvP, bosses, Special, accuracy and Styles of attack the D long is the winner.

highlanders
[ Display Name History ]

highlanders

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,476 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
I thought I already had said this on this topic, weird, anyway:

If you care about the spec, you will use a baxe or a dragon dagger, so which spec those two weapons have is irrelevant.

The +5 str on the long adds only +1 to max hit, which doesn't even mean that you will hit +1, just that you have the possibility of hitting +1

The scimmy is much better 'nuff said

zeinias
[ Display Name History ]

zeinias

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 32 posts

I will take a longsword over a scimitar any day. The only reason I use either one is the controlled fighting style, and longsword is far better for it. Otherwise, I am a battleaxe guy, myself.

same over here but it would be awesome with a dragon warhammer (best weapon ever)

Thankyou! warhammers are awesome!!! oh but um i'd say use both have d scim in ur invintory while use d long specs then switch to the scim which is faster
Posted Image
That pic is soo me lol!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Owned_Nex
[ Display Name History ]

Owned_Nex

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,098 posts
It is not speed that is what makes a weapon good, nor is it power. A dagger is fastest, while 2h is slowest.

You must compare its damage and speed. The dragon long has a special. Ok. 4 specials in 5 minits. Who says im going to use its special anyways? DDS is better...

Now the skim. Its fast, near dagger speed, strenth bonus slightly lower. Its special is useless, but then agan, im using DDS or DBA. It is able to do slightly less damage is much faster time. (plug it in on the damage calculator. In 80% of the cases, D long can do 0-1 more damage) Now, D long is more accurate, but it takes longer to hit. Even if the Skim is "slightly" less accurate, it attaks faster to make up for it.

Now lets look at it this way:

WHo has used both weapons?

Those who have used both, can actully experiance both, and compare, not with facts, but brute power and speed, the experiance, and the grace. Its ability to do massive dammage, and hit almost dagger-like. Thats wher the whip actully comes in. It is the power of a D skimmy, but speed of dagger. Combining power and speed. D long, simply hits 1 or 2 more, but is much slower.

Anyone up for my challege?

If you've ever used a D skim, you would choose D long. nuff said.

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.
I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.
PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.
My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

Lenin64
[ Display Name History ]

Lenin64

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 7,249 posts
Scimitar ftw, but that's only because I used to only use simmies. :thumbsup:
Posted Image
Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!
Posted Image

HOSTiLE_KAi
[ Display Name History ]

HOSTiLE_KAi

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:HOSTiLE KAi
  • RSN2:Hkdollars
D long's special and 5 more strength bonus still doesn't make up for the lower attack speed.

So D scimy out of the 2.
Total Level 2247- 11x 99s All Combat Skills, Slayer, Summoning, Woodcutting, Herblore

tehravenx
[ Display Name History ]

tehravenx

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 190 posts

the dragon scimmy has a not as good spec but is overall better

d long only has a semi-useful spec

nuff said

Semi-useful? Yeah right, if you ever watched 3 Hit U pk, He used a d long and was hitting 40's I think you should rethink that. Even though people don't bring a D long into the wilderness doesn't mean it is a bad weapon.

tehravenx
[ Display Name History ]

tehravenx

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 190 posts

I will take a longsword over a scimitar any day. The only reason I use either one is the controlled fighting style, and longsword is far better for it. Otherwise, I am a battleaxe guy, myself.

same over here but it would be awesome with a dragon warhammer (best weapon ever)

Thankyou! warhammers are awesome!!! oh but um i'd say use both have d scim in ur invintory while use d long specs then switch to the scim which is faster

War hammers are extremely slow. They are also powerful but not that accurate, much like your spelling.

thisismine
[ Display Name History ]

thisismine

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 36 posts
long sword ftw!
i know this isnt a FPS but if i freeze you can i still yell "Boom headshot" ?

unorclan
[ Display Name History ]

unorclan

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,469 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:bookgeek
+ longsword for its extra power

+ scimitar for its extreme speed and style 8-)

But overall I'd say longsword for monster fighting, scimitar for quick fights like pking and such
Posted Image
Thanks to the amazing talent of Jopie211 for the sig!
Finest Fist of Guthix Strategy Guide

Freesia
[ Display Name History ]

Freesia

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,954 posts
  • RSN:Chewiness
The longer attack speed from longsword is not worth its rather insignificant differences from the scimitar. Players who have high enough attack to hit accurately enough would go for speed. The +5 str bonus is not useful as well, probably allow the longsword to hit 1-2 damage higher than scimmy.

Assuming scimmy hits 5 times in the time longsword took for 4. The extra 1-2 damage sacrifice for 1 hit can't make up for it.
Strangely with WotLK so near, I wished I could delay it a bit to push through that last TBC content in MH/BT :'(.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users