Longsword Versus Scimitar

00hydro

I'd have to say the scimmy because i train Str with it otherwise I never use it and since I have a w hip the long sword is pointless even for specials because i use the dds.

Well said. =P

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

in the time a d long hits 4 times, a scimmy hits 5.

Err...walka92? The longsword hits 5 times in the time a scimitar can manage 6.

whatever, a scim still hits faster. speed > strength, not the other way round.

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

<3 scim for its speed.

I don't even own my d long anymore, but I have to hand it to it, I used it once. In the Haunted Mine, I couldn't beat the boss vampire guy with my scim... but the long worked out pretty well.

...Of course by now I'd just whip him. =\

in the time a d long hits 4 times, a scimmy hits 5.

Err...walka92? The longsword hits 5 times in the time a scimitar can manage 6.

whatever, a scim still hits faster. speed > strength, not the other way round.

Whether or not strength > speed or speed > strength, the strength/attack difference between the dragon long and the dragon scimitar doesn't seem great enough to merit the long's strength overpowering the scim's speed.

Trahybyen.gif

Trahybyen.png

*sigh*

There is a link in my goals picture. <--An Unnecessary Update

:O

usually i just rock it with dds, but for the sake of this discussion, i go

longsword. But thats only for dragon (scimmi spec only good for pking)

No. Others and I have already explained why the Dragon Scimitar owns the Dragon Longsword in terms of normal bashing-ups of monsters.

My Blog

Join the Campaign for more F2P Bank Space!

[bleep], my parrot has better grammar than you.

4z9pgcp.gif

Of course, I just use a whip on controlled all the time, instead of using a whip for attack and defense, then scimmy for str like some people do. :roll:

Why don't we all just agree to do this?

I mean, that's what I do, so...

But then again, I rarely fight.

Still. Scim > Long. :(

Trahybyen.gif

Trahybyen.png

*sigh*

There is a link in my goals picture. <--An Unnecessary Update

:O

Of course, I just use a whip on controlled all the time, instead of using a whip for attack and defense, then scimmy for str like some people do. :roll:

Its much worse exp/hour is you train on controlled. On a 50k exp per hour monster, you would get around 13k exp per hour on each skill by itself.

D SKIM OWNS ALL

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

• 2 months later...

I know that, that was just a side note.

Anyways, I guess you guys appear to be right for now, but D longs will still be the choice weapon for newer PvPs, so it will live on! Not that I really care, I think I used a D Long for a week before I realised that whips and B-Axes are the way to go. Switched to D scim for a week, went back to wihp and B-axe.

WFCrest.gif

• 3 months later...

although it really depends on the situation, i think the longsword wins the most situations, it can stab and slash effectively while the scimitar can only slash with any hope of hitting and the scimitar special is barely ever useful, while 4 longsword specials can give you some extreme power (i use it for bringing down revenants)

Been a f2p pker my whole rs career and have definitely realised that scimmys are better for that. For PvP (whatever little we have left), that one speed is one food able to be eaten by your opponent. So you can pull out an extra 2 damage with the long sword, the bloke you're fighting has just eaten and now he's 20hp points up on you because your weapon was too slow and allowed him to eat twice in between your single hit.

Dragon long special is clearly better but in all honesty, that's for 4 hits and probably won't even kill your opponent. For the rest of the fight, you're stuck with a weapon that hits slow enough for the guy you're attacking to eat basically twice between each of your hits and that's where it's won and lost ;)

Well, the stats certainly did help me with my decision.

Each one has it's own strengths and weaknesses.

They both perform great.

Scimitar is fast, but unwieldy.

The Longsword is slower, but much more accurate. And just as strong.

Out of the two, I'd pick a whip over them both.

Accurate, fast, strong, and pretty fun to use.

Edit:

In response to the next reply, I guess you are right.

I honestly would pick the Longsword. It can always get the job done when you need to get the kill in.

Sure, it's a bit slower than the scimitar. That slow gives way to strength. If you were to run into a battle flailing a massive club, would you be able to aim? Pssh, no. You'd be killing everything.

Whereas, if you plan your strikes, you can do damage to the enemy. The slow would, in reality, give you more time to plan. How that relates to it, I have no idea. Started rambling, didn't I?

Dragon Longsword, FTW!

Out of the two, I'd pick a whip over them both.

Accurate, fast, strong, and pretty fun to use.

Oh Tchrspest, if your not going to answer the question seriously then dont even post :|

I would pick definately Scimitar. Its not quite as strong as the Longsword, but it hits significantly faster, making up and more for its very little loss of strength.

copyofsunny2hy0tp7.jpg

This_Evening.png

• 2 weeks later...

The scimitar is better. The ability to hit 1 more per strike is insignificant. When you are in a battle it is safe to say it will be for a little while. If you had one more strike at your opponent per a certain time frame, you would have a chance at hitting them for a full scimmy strike, instead of a tiny little 1. When you compare the chances, the scimmy will get that extra damage more often than not, because it is very unlikely you will get your max every strike with the longsword before the scimmy would hit that extra strike...

Goten6456.png

Now, most of us dont have a problem with distinguishing RS from reality, and we all know that if you hit someone with an axe in real life they dont drop 3gp and some bones then respawn a few seconds later.

over all, i'd carry them both

*if I didn't have whip bgs etc*

use the scimmy till they get to about half health, for the scimmies speed,

then switch to the d long for the specs and ko power (higher str bonus = more ko power)

oversized.jpg[/bads]

• 2 weeks later...

i was a longsword person in the beginning but then some friend told me to switch and many were doing it in the pking community and i switched. i saw a difference right away. the scimmy was a little bit faster. 1/2 swing faster is a big difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Its much worse exp/hour is you train on controlled. On a 50k exp per hour monster, you would get around 13k exp per hour on each skill by itself.

D SKIM OWNS ALL

u have to remember that a whip on control also trains def which slows it down quite considerably and that u dont have to switch to an inferior weap like a d scimitar which hits a lot less.

in f2p scimitar is better then rune long to train att and str but long is better for def.

in p2p scimitar is use for str training and is without question better then long in this role. even if long has a better special att this is neutralize by the fact that people use ddp or another weaps special att. and theres no point in training att or def with long in mem as u got the whip for that

so overall the scimitar wins in f2p and membs have better weaps that leave no role to d long except for cheap easy to get low lv weapon

lcchs.png

lcchs.png

scimmy >>>> longsword.

minus 2 attack bonus? that's NOTHING when you have 67 or 69 overall. 5 strength is 1 damage point :roll:

Also d scim is a LOT faster than you said it is... anybody training strength more than 1 level uses a scimmy #-o

on to the point that a longsword has stab attack bonus: so does dragon dagger, if you need stab most people will use it.

Saradomin Sword > Scimmy > longsword for str training.

Whip > longsword for attack and defense training.

'Nuff said about scim/long debate...

On to the whip training on controlled: Actually, controlled is the best training to use. with certain gear/strength levels, you will actually hit 1 damage point more than on att or defense, and it trains HP as well as the three melee skills with 1.33x exp per hit, so it's more for hitpoints.

newsigac5.png

Well. IF you had 2 people fight, exactly identical exept 1 with skimmy, 1 with d long, well skimmys going to win 9/10 times

ALso, how were you able to devise the "speed" D skimmy is WAY faster. And how long is "1" speed? A d skimmy is more accurate, faster, and its cooler. If any1 wants to challenge me on this matter, then feel free to Pm me.

Anyways...my vote is D skimmy

damn straight

nicely said.

PS

does this count for rune too?

& how on earth did u come up with the goddamn speed? lolz

thhide.jpg