Longsword Versus Scimitar

00hydro

• 1 year later...

Today i decided to train on rock crabs to prove that a longsword is better than a scimitar (rune long vs. rune skim.)

1 hour of my skim got me exactly 10923 strength exp. My highest hit was 14.

1 hour of my longsword got me exactly 13524 strength exp. My highest hit was 17.

And i also used my beloved battleaxe, Ol' Nellie (yes, i named my battleaxe), so here is my result:

1 hour of Ol' Nellie, my battleaxe, got me exactly 17263 exp. My highest hit was 23.

So here is the overall result:

Battleaxe> Longsword> Scimitar

17263> 13524> 10923

23> 18> 14

Ol' Nellie you've done it again! :-)

Posted by Wugmaster Vincent Xxalius

final.gif

You have to take off everything except your gloves and boots. WTF JAGEX? :thumbdown:

Don't forget about the ring, you can keep that one to :)

And your necklace. :grin:

And quiver! This is fun :P!

Today i decided to train on rock crabs to prove that a longsword is better than a scimitar (rune long vs. rune skim.)

1 hour of my longsword got me exactly 13524 strength exp. My highest hit was 17.

And i also used my beloved battleaxe, Ol' Nellie (yes, i named my battleaxe), so here is my result:

1 hour of Ol' Nellie, my battleaxe, got me exactly 17263 exp. My highest hit was 23.

17263> 13524> 10923

23> 18> 14

Did you gain any levels throughout this?

I would really say scimitar, due to the extra speed bar that it gives over the longsword.

However, the longsword isn't a bad weapon either. With a high attack level, you can pretty much dominate anything with it.

Both weapons are good. It really depends on how you use it, and what type of weapon you like more.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I would really say scimitar, due to the extra speed bar that it gives over the longsword.

However, the longsword isn't a bad weapon either. With a high attack level, you can pretty much dominate anything with it.

Both weapons are good. It really depends on how you use it, and what type of weapon you like more.

Scimitar is definitely way better than longsword... anyone with basic knowledge of Runescape should know this >.>

Rainbow_Dude.png

17263> 13524> 10923

23> 18> 14

Did you gain any levels throughout this?

I gained 2 strength levels, so now i have 59. Sadly, i did not gain any combat levels.

Scimitar is definitely way better than longsword... anyone with basic knowledge of Runescape should know this >.>

It is only faster by 1, and if you are comparing their stats, the scimitar is inferior to the longsword.

Battleaxe> longsword> scimitar> shortsword> dagger

Posted by Wugmaster Vincent Xxalius

final.gif

You have to take off everything except your gloves and boots. WTF JAGEX? :thumbdown:

Don't forget about the ring, you can keep that one to :)

And your necklace. :grin:

And quiver! This is fun :P!

It is also dependent on your attack level. Generally with a higher Attack over Strength(meaning 10 to 20 levels higher) you're going to want a battleaxe or a longsword. But if you have equal stats, you're going to want a scimitar, as the high attack speed makes up for the low accuracy. Likewise, the high accuracy of the battleaxe as well as high strength make up for the speed loss.

That's what I just said, Guardknox. <_<

But in general, the scimitar's speed makes up for the loss of other stats.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

It is also dependent on your attack level. Generally with a higher Attack over Strength(meaning 10 to 20 levels higher) you're going to want a battleaxe or a longsword. But if you have equal stats, you're going to want a scimitar, as the high attack speed makes up for the low accuracy. Likewise, the high accuracy of the battleaxe as well as high strength make up for the speed loss.

What happens when you have 99/99 :-(? Lol, I'm not bragging (not much ^_^) but it's a genuine problem. I'm banned from using melee to do anything until I have 95-99 Range/92-94 Mage and tbh...it's boring :o.

**EDIT: Forgot to mention, I trained all of my Strength levels and 80-98 of my Attack levels with Dragon Scimitar. It is superior in that respect...but during the period Dragon Longswords were 60-63k in GE, I went through a phase of PKing combo swapping with them rather than DDP++. I found that while they were less effective special wise, their ability to actually hit people and cause some (limted) damage without speccing was usual...prefer other combos though :-(

Forgivness is for those too weak to take vengeance.

DJ Hiraku

kazukiyuki.png

What happens when you have 99/99 :-(? Lol, I'm not bragging (not much ^_^) but it's a genuine problem. I'm banned from using melee to do anything until I have 95-99 Range/92-94 Mage and tbh...it's boring :o.

**EDIT: Forgot to mention, I trained all of my Strength levels and 80-98 of my Attack levels with Dragon Scimitar. It is superior in that respect...but during the period Dragon Longswords were 60-63k in GE, I went through a phase of PKing combo swapping with them rather than DDP++. I found that while they were less effective special wise, their ability to actually hit people and cause some (limted) damage without speccing was usual...prefer other combos though :-(

Well, 99/99 is equal, so I'd go for scimitar(although whip over scimmy in all cases EXCEPT waterfiends. DBA ftw).

The scimitar has one extra bar of speed. If Jagex were to make bars for accuracy, I bet the longsword would be one bar ahead of the scimitar. The scimitar is best for fighting enemies with low defence, like when you're training. The longsword is better against quest bosses or other players where battles may be longer. It's the same thing as between godswords and whips.

signaturemw.png

Wow....

I quit RS for a few months, and this is still here?

Scim>Long

We can't look at a particular example to determine which is better. Granted by some freak accident I could get more EXP with a bronze dagger.

Look at the stats. You'll notice the Dragon Long has +2 more Slash Accuracy, aswell as +5 Str bonus ontop of the Scim.

It would seem it is alot, but it really isin't. +2 slash accuracy is simply so little by itself i's effects won't even show noticeable difference. +5 strength MIGHT increase your max hit by one.

However, the Scim is much faster. Although not quite 2x as fast, its somewhere between 3:4 - 5:7.

That means, if attack speed was normalized, the Scim would have slightly under 2x the stats as the longsword. It's faster attacks completely nullify the +1 damage or +2 accuracy.

Its also more realiable. If a D long misses, its quite alot of damage gone. When A D Scim misses, its not as great of a loss because it's attack is faster.

The D long can only compare to the Scim if it had infinite special attacks on targets with very low armor/defence.

/end

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

Pantim, blame the guy who bumped the thread which hasn't had a post in a year. <_<

And let me prove your point further.

Scimitar: Hits once every 2.4 seconds (6 speed bars)

Longsword: Hits once every 3 seconds (5 speed bars)

In One Minute:

Scimitar: 25 hits

Longsword: 20 hits

And, if we compare stats, they're both pretty much the same. The extra 5 hits per minute from a scimitar usually overrides the hits per minute from a longsword. This is also why scimitars get better overall exp per hour.

Hope this data helps.

(Still, I wub mah rune long. <3: )

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

17263> 13524> 10923

23> 18> 14

Btw, I just wanted to point out the flaws in this post.

1. It doesn't look like you've set controls for this experiment.

2. Looks kinda made up. There is absolutely no way Scim would fall behind by so much. Scim should be more then triple what it was stated to be.

3. The weapon speed must be multiplied by the max hit to get the theoretical DPS. Scim, in all cases has more then the Battleaxe,

4. Remember, since Runescape runs with a random number generator, a miss or lower hit with the battleaxe will affect your DPS significantly due to it's lower amounts of hits. Think of it as holding all of your eggs in one basket.

It is only faster by 1, and if you are comparing their stats, the scimitar is inferior to the longsword.

Battleaxe> longsword> scimitar> shortsword> dagger

And by speed,

Dagger=Scim=Shortsword>Longsword>Battleaxe

Multiply by stats to get theoretical DPS

Scim>Longsword>Shortsword>Battleaxe>Dagger

Owned_Nex.png

The longsword may have lost this time, but what about the release of the gravite/chaotic weapons?

This time, the stats of the longswords are far higher than the stats of the rapiers (scimitars).

I wonder if the scim will still be able to win out...

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Yes the difference may be hardly noticeable but I prefer scimitar over longsword just because of the looks. >_> I mean last graphical update was just the final nail in the coffin, (I kinda liked the d long's look before) scimitars look better in my opinion in rune/other normal metal and dragon weapons and the 'newbie status' that especially dragon longsword carries is something I don't want to have. Yes I sound extremely vain but thats just my opinion.

Sephy.png

Actually, with special the longsword STILL has less DPS then the Scim.

With armor on or off, scim has the advantage. With armour, D long is worse due to a higher chance of missing.

Owned_Nex.png

Longswords now official own schimmys (that is for pvp NOT moster training)...

Gravite long sword

62 str

63 slash atk

Rune Schimmy

44 str

45 slash atk

Chaotic longsword + defender > whip, godsword, ect

120 str

124 slash atk

pikatips001.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips002.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips003.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips004.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips005.png1,000 F2P Total Level Reached 10/8/10 !

[hide=Guides]Magic & Summoning Profit Spreadsheets! *UPDATES EVERY HOUR* (includes: High alch, Superheat, and Enchanting)

4 BETTER alternatives to flesh crawlers[/hide]

WOT WOT!

☉.☉☂

Longswords now official own schimmys (that is for pvp NOT moster training)...

Gravite long sword

62 str

63 slash atk

Rune Schimmy

44 str

45 slash atk

Chaotic longsword + defender > whip, godsword, ect

120 str

124 slash atk

So much errors in this...

1. You can't compare weapons to that of another tier. Your pretty much comparing a Dragon Dagger to a Bronze Scim.

2. Your comparing accuracy. Weapon speed and strength is the primary source of DPS from a weapon.

3. Not sure if you can get enough tokens to support losing one of those 100k token weapons.

4. Failure in general.

Owned_Nex.png

for its usefulness compared to other items the scimmy wins hands down as it provides a cheap and easy way to train strength efficiently

however if other items were not taken into account i'd go for the longsword because of its looks (my preference), use of all round fighting styles and of-course te kick-[wagon] spec :D

sausagewalls.png

sausagewalls.png

sausagewalls.png

sausagewalls.png

Given that everybody thinks scimitar is "overpowered" etc, I wonder why they did not put the scimitar in Dungeoneering. :rolleyes:

Though, if it WAS included, it won't be very useful, because accuracy and attack styles matter a whole lot more than speed. Look at daggers and rapiers. They are speed 6, but because of their limited use and low accuracy, many people do not use them. There's a reason why people favor spears a lot, as well as battleaxes and longswords. Even the warhammer, 2H and maul are better than those two, even though they are only speed 4. Why? Because of their accuracy, styles and strength.

Ok, let's not steer this into a Dungeoneering topic lol.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog