Playstation 3 - Failure?

Abelmisi

ouch. The PS3 version of the orange box was plauged with slowdowns. Granted valve didn't actually do the PS3 version, they pawned it off onto an EA company. However even if it isn't all the PS3's fault it's no doubt to hurt it a bit more, losing a good game like ToB.

Yeah the 360 version = horrible as well.

What're you talking about...The 360 version was fine. It may not have had the player content you get from PC, but otherwise it was near identical.

Life is a joke. Yeah, I don't get it either.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ouch. The PS3 version of the orange box was plauged with slowdowns. Granted valve didn't actually do the PS3 version, they pawned it off onto an EA company. However even if it isn't all the PS3's fault it's no doubt to hurt it a bit more, losing a good game like ToB.

What're you talking about...The 360 version was fine. It may not have had the player content you get from PC, but otherwise it was near identical.

I was on about tf2 live.

interesting article. i agree in some parts with it. the biggest reason for the falling sales of ps3 is that sony bet the farm on blu ray technology when it hasn't come into common use. it almost seems that sony is trying to bully the market into blu ray instead of hd-dvd. they took a huge gamble and so far it hasn't payed off like they had hoped.truggling as it has been. don't count sony out though.

Blu-Ray movies and discs cost multiple times per single unit than 10 blank recordable DVD or HD-DVD. The 5% or so quality increase is not worth it even if the discs contain 25gb of data. You still end up losing money just to use "new technology" compared to earlier, lossless quality formats.

Also, just about no standard DVD player/computer has blue-violet laser burning or reading capability. It's not going to become an average-customer reality anytime soon, if ever.

Ok, back onto topic:

I'm not much of a sony person any more but i will say a few things to answer this whole thread.

Playstation 3 failure?

Maybe yes a few months ago but now?

Right now the PS3 is doing fine.

Its had some good games released and sales are higher.

My conclusion is that it is doing ok but if sony wants it to catch up more then they will need to do more.

I was on about tf2 live.

i enjoyed the pc version more

maybe it's just that i prefer a keyboard or something #-o

though i won't say the ps3 version is unplayable until i try it myself. though i won't buy it since my friend has the 360 version that i can borrow and i have the pc one. i don't wanna pay $60 for another one of the same game :-#

What?

m_theory11.png

I was on about tf2 live.

though i won't say the ps3 version is unplayable until i try it myself. though i won't buy it since my friend has the 360 version that i can borrow and i have the pc one. i don't wanna pay $60 for another one of the same game :-#

hehe i prefer the old fashioned control pad so yeh >.>

i like ps3s cuz u dont have to pay $/year to get net

It takes a day or two of work to pay for the entire year. Considering how much better live is to what sony is offering it is well worth it.

I was on about tf2 live.

Spot the FPSer

I was on about tf2 live.

Spot the FPSer

Sorry to sound like an idiot, but whats a FPSer?

keen.png

[hide=Massive Quote Wall]

I was on about tf2 live.

Spot the FPSer

Sorry to sound like an idiot, but whats a FPSer?

[/hide]

First Person Shooter :wink:

I don't think Bubs plays much FPS's, he's more into Zero Wing and Barbie: Pony Adventures, that kind of thing. :anxious: [take covah!]

Anyway...

I guess tf2 wouldn't be so much fun with the lack of players on xbl, but other than it would be fine. If it's the controller vs mouse thing, it's not much of a problem imo. The halflife and Portal games would also be more or less the same as the PC version.

^ Hahahahahahahahaha!!! :XD: :lol:

I think it's a waste. It's expensive, there's problems with dust buildup, and, what, five or so good games? :roll:

There's only 4 decent exclusive games I can think of:

Resistance

Motorstorm

Rrrriiiiiiiigggggeeeee racer

Warhawk

Sony really needs to buck up their ideas

09f719550fdb82a41cc724ce46d5f579.png

I'm getting a PS3 for Christmas, I have been looking around for offers in town and so far, I have found the Ultimate deal:

PS3 40GB

Free Sixaxis controller

Free Acessory

2 Free games which are in the top 20 chart.

All for ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã360 :shock:

Anyway, in my view, I like the PS3. More than the 360 (I own a Nintendo Wii) but I perfer the range of games out there on the PS3. Plus, I've got a fancy HD T.V as well, so its all good.

Phaper_Plane.png

I'm getting a PS3 for Christmas, I have been looking around for offers in town and so far, I have found the Ultimate deal:

PS3 40GB

Free Sixaxis controller

Free Acessory

Anyway, in my view, I like the PS3. More than the 360 (I own a Nintendo Wii) but I perfer the range of games out there on the PS3. Plus, I've got a fancy HD T.V as well, so its all good.

Wheres the extra ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã60 from if all the accessories and games are free, I thought the console on its own was around ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã300.

k9999-crazyarm.gif

PS3 40GB

Free Sixaxis controller

Free Acessory

Wheres the extra ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã60 from if all the accessories and games are free, I thought the console on its own was around ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã300.

Its a "deal", stores have got to make a profit out of it somehow and so do Sony. :wink:

Phaper_Plane.png

PS3 40GB

Free Sixaxis controller

Free Acessory

Its a "deal", stores have got to make a profit out of it somehow and so do Sony. :wink:

Sony don't make a profit. Infact they lose money on every console they sell.

This is new and exciting information.

IIRC the Microsoft loses money per console as well.

They did at launch anyway. I think they make a significant profit per console now. The PS3 became slightly cheaper to build too. But both companies compensated with price cuts, which are better business moves than just getting profit per consoles. Price cuts increase sales, which is better than selling less consoles for a higher price.

They did at launch anyway. I think they make a significant profit per console now. The PS3 became slightly cheaper to build too. But both companies compensated with price cuts, which are better business moves than just getting profit per consoles. Price cuts increase sales, which is better than selling less consoles for a higher price.

I'm curious on how lowering the system price while using the same materials can possibly create a profit? Sony and Microsoft make a profit off selling the games, not the systems.

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard.

This is new and exciting information.

IIRC the Microsoft loses money per console as well.

yes well most of the systems they sold were sold at losses. sony still loses lots of money per system.

i heard if mgs4 didn't sell 1M+ copies on day 1, it would be a failure. though since it's simulatenous world wide release, that isn't too difficult a task.

i know for sure microsoft was down atleast $2 Bil at one point due to the cost of making the 360 and said they should be making profits this year.

Kaizoku

i know for sure microsoft was down atleast $2 Bil at one point due to the cost of making the 360 and said they should be making profits this year.

That's like pennies to Microsoft. :P

I heard about the MGS thing as well. Hopefully they can sell 1 million copies, I'd hate for a great developing company to have a failed game because of the console they decided to work for.

However, IMO, I think that if MGS fails on the PS3 (not enough sales) they will try to bring it to the 360. It does make sense.

I'm curious on how lowering the system price while using the same materials can possibly create a profit? Sony and Microsoft make a profit off selling the games, not the systems.

Obviously there's more to the price than just the materials. If that were true, a price for any electronic item would never change (clearly not, they get cheaper over time, like with the 360 and ps3). I'm sure that Microsoft makes a profit from the systems they sell now, seeing how the new Falcon chips they use now are noticeably cheaper than the old ones. Same for the new ps3 40 and 80gb ps3 models.

I can't give you specific details, but believe me, their manufacturing prices have dropped, and will continue to do so. It's only a matter of time till Nintendo falls suit with the Wii.

EDIT: I just realized that by "materials" you probably mean hardware in general. No, they don't use the same hardware, they use cheaper and more efficient stuff. If memory serves, the 360 uses the new Falcon chip (which is cheaper and isn't faulty) and the ps3 uses some 65nm chip as opposed to a 90nm. Don't ask me how or why it makes things cheaper, but apparently it does.