Outdated videogames you still play (or are playing again)

Schwarzenegger

I recently started playing Goldeneye 007 again along with other N64 games. Several times a year I will pick up my N64 and play some of the games on it. I suppose it being the last system I ever had is one of the reasons why I don't play as many recent games, lol. But evne on the computer, I still enjoy a good ol' Doom. Or NES/SNES emulator spree. I for one couldn't care less about a game's graphics. I will take gameplay over graphics, and if a good game has good graphics good. But if a bad game has good graphics it is still a bad game.

What about you guys? How often do you replay your old games? DOesn't it just feel nostalgic to be playing the levels you have not played in years and hearing the music you didn't hear in years? I really wish I could relive my first time around through zelda OOT. The whole game had such a great feel to it, especially once you step out into Hyrule field. I can't really put it into words. Today, even though it is still a great game and fun to play through not only for the nostalgia and because it really was a good game, there is no way to relive the experience of playing that game. Sort of like RSC. I can log in to it now, but I will never get the same experience I had 5 years ago when I had the world map open and was telling my friend I was North of Varrock when in reality I was near Draynor Village.

Runescaper (off and on) since late 2001

Define "out-dated" first then I'll let you know :-?

Older than 5 years?

Personally, I can't stand going back to a game with inferior gameplay and graphics that I used to love. It ruins the memory for me. :P

I'm a here and now sorta gamer. Then again the only game I play is WoW. :-$

dwmafianw7.jpg

Notoriously Trollish.

Well, I've playing through System Shock...Lemme just say to anyone who thought Doom was the best shooter of its time: you missed out on something big. System Shock the game that was farther ahead of it's time than any game ever has been, or ever will be. According to google, System Shock came out ~4 months after Doom (so it's not like it was a clone), but is ages ahead. Besides the Deathmatch part of Doom (which is largely what made it popular), Doom doesn't have a thing on System Shock.

The features introduced in System Shock make it play almost exactly like a modern shooter. Let's just take a look at some of System Shock's features:

-Fully 3D environments

-Crosshair Mouse aiming (not like it is today, but it works much better than keyboard)

-Looking up and down

-Crouching, going prone

-Sprinting (and fatigue)

-Peeking (!!!!)

-Fully (and fantastically) voice acted log messages for your PDA (exactly like that seen in Doom 3)[Note: This calibre of voice acting is rare in todays games]

-A well-written, well-paced story and fully fleshed-out setting/plot

-Extremely well designed, somewhat creepy level design

-Nades

-Hacking puzzles (quite similar to Bioshock)

-Enemy immuntities (you can't kill a robot with darts etc. adds strategy)

-Highly variable everything (resolution, all manner of different difficulty levels (ie. you could have enemies on 'Hard' but puzzles on easy or something), text length.

-You actually get better as the game goes on: you pick up things that improve your HUD, targetting etc.

-Picking stuff up (with your hands, then throwing it), as well as inventory

Basically it has all the things you'd expect of a modern game, and which many don't deliver. In all honesty, you could give this game a graphical make-over, modern music and a more refined mouse-control system and it would probably be hailed by critics and fans alike. It absolutely puts Doom to shame, and had it been for better marketting or timing, this would/should have been super popular.

So that's all I have to say about that.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

Define "out-dated" first then I'll let you know :-?

Something not on a new generation console..

Something not generally sold in stores anymore..

Something with poor graphics by today's standards..

Something more than a few years old..

I would of never thought there could be some sort of confusion about what an outdated video game is :-s

Runescaper (off and on) since late 2001

I still play my old Sega Genesis from time to time - it is, and always will be, my favorite system. I grew up with that thing, and it's amazing how now, 10+ years later, I'm still having just as much fun with it.

chesssigtexttipitlt0.jpg

Stunning signature created by the one and only My Boggy.

Just like Columbus he gets murderous on purpose

I would of never thought there could be some sort of confusion about what an outdated video game is :-s
Do all of your reasons have to apply, or just one? Because if it's just one - then technically anything 'a few years old' even if it's still in heavy use and readily available in stores qualifies as 'out of date' hence why I asked what the criteria for being 'out of date' was, because if it's just age... then hello bf2, aom, cs, farcry, etc.

but still damn good graphics and for the most part readily availble.

Old consoles, not old games. This thread takes into account (and seems to mostly involve) old computer games, rather than console ones.

I like to really complete a game in its campaign mode. It gives that real sense of satisfaction. I want to play Age of Mythology all the way through again - I ended up doing the last level with cheats. I tried to play it through last year but my computer died and I lost the save game. I want to do the same thing with Warcraft II and Starcraft at some stage as well.

I'm replaying a game of FFVIII right now. Every year or so I go back and replay VII, VIII, IX or X. Also fun to replay some parts of Katamari Damacy (if this fits into the "outdated games" category), and as someone else said, Crash Bandicoot! :P Also Legend of Dragoon, though my first disc doesn't seem to be working so I can't really replay it. I did recently replay Day of the Tentacle, and tried to play the first Elder Scrolls game (Arena), and let me just say......don't let the name fool you. I played it on DOS-Box, and my GOD it was laggy as hell. I dunno if it was the game itself or DBox, but I couldn't play it for more than two minutes. I love playing Duke Nukem 3D whenever I don't have anything else to do, also Rebel Assault (though no mouse = frustrating gameplay). I also like to turn on the old N64 and play Super Mario 64, LoZ OoT or Majora's Mask, and I guess Goldeneye once in a while. And one game that I really love to play is Dark Cloud. Sweet game :thumbsup: .

klaatu-tabs.jpg

"El que no arriesga no gana"

I can't wait to get a bit more money on my paypal account. I'm going to get a memory card for my DS that they have, and I'm sure I'll be able to fit some awesome stuff on it. (I saw like a duke 3D remake on it).

Just saying I'll deffinitly be playing some older games then ;D.