Does defence even matter anymore?? or am I dreaming??

ultimatballr

Okay, now before you reply, note that I have 99 defence and I started staking. Now I am not upset at the money I lost as I made 500k to stake with by skilling, for the main purpose of staking so it's no lose to me really. I am upset because of the fact that I lost to people with sigificantly lower attack lvls relative to my defence and vice versa (their def relative to my att)

I recently lost some money staking to two people, one with 88 attack 90+str and 83 def the other 88 att 88 str and 86 def. Now I realize 91 attack isn't much higher than their defence levels. What I am failing to realize is how their attack levels hit more on 99 defence than mine does on that of under lvl 90.

Now I know what you may think, their str lvl is higher so of course they will hit harder, but I made note that they were hitting more often as well. A couple of times, they were left with 20+ hp... how does that happen?

Prior to staking them, I faced a gentleman with 99 attack, and beat him by an astonishing 30-40 hps.

How does this happen??

Does Jagex even pay attention to the way they program the combat stats relative to no armor?

Please don't flame me saying, "get over it", "your only ranting because you lost money" or anything else of that nature. I WILL report you as it is spam.

Apparently, my signature was to big.

I agree with the above. Though not 99 Defence, I have seen more of a dramatic effect from monsters I've slayed. Good luck on future stakes. And I'm loving the 99... :)

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Defense doesn't seem to do jack **** in PvP, which explains why Pures are so popular. 70 defense is the best for PvP, seeing as your armor impacts how much you're hit far more than your defense level does. But honestly, the reason you lost was because of the [cabbage]ty luck-based randomness of the combat system. This is the only RPG where higher is not better.

However, defense does make a noticable difference against monsters.

td2sig.jpg

The only thing that matters in PvP is luck.

Worst statement I've seen today...

On topic, defense helps. It just doesn't make a big difference when you're level 99 and the others are 80-90+. Although them hitting more often then you hitting them is very annoying, all I can say...

Yea like I said I'm not upset that I lost the money, its only a game, money can be remade.

But yea I like what Dragonlord said, this is the only RPG where higher is not better... which is kind of depressing.

Wonder if staking armor on with whips would affect anything... who knows.

Its sad to think that I could level attack up to 99 and it make no difference in boxing... of all things. God forbid I hit at least a 1 everytime (with an occasional zero) I punch or kick someone with no armor on... when they have 80+ defence.. A shame really...

The difference on monsters is reasonably noticeable though. With fires though, even though they hit hard reguardless, they hit me mysteriously often :-k

Maybe I should take this rant to the RSOF, but god knows Jagex rarely looks there and the only time a 'Mod' looks at most threads is to remove a bad post or if its one of their friends making the post.

The only thing that matters in PvP is luck.

Worst statement I've seen today...

On topic, defense helps. It just doesn't make a big difference when you're level 99 and the others are 80-90+. Although them hitting more often then you hitting them is very annoying, all I can say...

"

Well mostly. :wink:

8888kev8888.jpeg

Sigs by: Soa | Gold_Tiger10 | Harrinator1 | Guthix121 | robo | Elmo | Thru | Yaff2

Avatars by: Lit0ua | Unoalexi | Gold Tiger .

Hello friend, Senajitkaushik was epic, Good luck bro.

Get 70 defence, and let the armour and food take care of your defence. When it comes down to melee, strength and attack are superior to defence, though defence is useful to have in many situations. But in the end of the day, defence is useless if you don't have offense.

2480+ total

I to have 99 defence and feel it needs to play a somewhat greater role.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

I to have 99 defence and feel it needs to play a somewhat greater role.

I agree m8.

I'm not asking to be invincible, just to hit more with my high att on lower def and get hit less from lower att on my maxed out def.

Lost 4 duels to people with lower att lvls than myself... and it's not like I'm ddsing, I know exactly whats best for my character.

Its simple a simple equation or at least it should of been:

No armor/Def Bonus + High(Maxed) defence level = Least chance to get hit...

It's called the RS luck factor. Without it, there won't be any 'element of surprises' or 'last minute change of destinies'. If everything was so certain, if you already know you can win another just by glancing at his/her stats, what fun would it be to stake? Staking is supposed to be a gamble, not a definition.

drapit.png

not sure bout the def thing but it kinda happens 2 me

i versed someone with lower levels in every single skill(including none combat)

the only differnce in our armor was that he wore str ammy instead of glory and dharok legs instead of rune..

i did 28 games with him and i won about 4

i was 95 combat, he 90!!!!!

i really didnt get it. eh i dont bother staking or even going there anymore i never win (same with pking lmao!)

It's called the RS luck factor. Without it, there won't be any 'element of surprises' or 'last minute change of destinies'. If everything was so certain, if you already know you can win another just by glancing at his/her stats, what fun would it be to stake? Staking is supposed to be a gamble, not a definition.

Your right it is a "gamble" and their is a "luck factor" involved. But with higher stats, and facing someone 3 times, I would assume that the first was a lucky win, and I should win at least 1 out of 3. I mean Skill > luck in every other aspect in life why change that at risk of getting players ranting in this game. I mean apparently this player is extremely lucky, god forbid he loses a duel for not working as hard on his stats as others. =;

From what I know defense doesn't really do all that good against players in the dule arena and pking. It is mainly good against monsters in the game. I think that is why there are so many pures and why they do so well. Don't think it should be that way myself but it's not like I can do anything about it. :P

Meridithila.png

Meridithila.png

The Internet: where men are men, women are men, and children are the FBI.

First Dragon Drop 5/6/2006 -Dragon Med from Bronze Dragon :D

First Barrows Item From Chest 2/20/2007 - Verac's Brassard :D

So, related to the thread, just because an outcome is unlikely does not make it impossible. Getting a string of unlikely events is also an unlikely but not impossible outcome on it's own.

Your right it is a "gamble" and their is a "luck factor" involved. But with higher stats, and facing someone 3 times, I would assume that the first was a lucky win, and I should win at least 1 out of 3. I mean Skill > luck in every other aspect in life why change that at risk of getting players ranting in this game. I mean apparently this player is extremely lucky, god forbid he loses a duel for not working as hard on his stats as others. =;

Are you kidding? Luck is everywhere in our life.

You are the way you are as a result of a simple round of roulette. Your gender, talents, physical aptitudes, environment, ability/disabilities are all a result of luck because they are all part of genetics and are decided simple probability.

All you need for luck is an event with multiple possible outcomes. From that point, each one of those outcomes will have a possibility. Think of a few of the situations that have an event with multiple possible outcomes. Will the weather tomorrow be sunny or rainy? The number of events with multiple possible outcomes is just too big to even begin to comprehend.

The fact that skills are luck-based in real life is just an emulation of how stuff works in real life. Practicing skills is just about increasing the likelihood of a certain event to take place as seen in runescape, if I practice my throwing, I can increase my chance of throwing a ball farther, not the throwing itself. The only difference is that runescape demonstrates it more clearly, so people just assume it only applies to runescape. Therefore, Skills > luck is not true, skills = luck.

That may have been more than necessary however I believe it was important to explain these points because the whole luck issue is a huge misconception here.

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

^You can predict the weather with the Chaos Theory :P

But...OT: I do believe that 99 def should play a larger role in PvP cb (Going for it too atm). Although i'm not losing as much as you are in PvP. But it really does seem unfair when someone lower cb level than yourself, but higher atk beats you.

~Ddaanniiellh

overall-1.png: 1437 combat.png: 173
Lowest Combat to 1,000 Total in F2P (23 Combat)
2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

But...OT: I do believe that 99 def should play a larger role in PvP cb (Going for it too atm). Although i'm not losing as much as you are in PvP. But it really does seem unfair when someone lower cb level than yourself, but higher atk beats you.

~Ddaanniiellh

I didn't even get beasted lol. Well I did but not by someone with higher attack than I do defence. Thats whats really bugging me I lost to someone 11 att lvls lower than my def, but when evenly matched 99 att and 99 def, and it didn't even seem to be a match as I won with 40 hp. Just wierd is all, weird.

Solidus:

Apparently the way I view life differs from the average. Luck has no place in the examples you gave (talents, gender, enironment etc) Everything in life is predisposed. You have a set life-line with various multi-way paths of which are given to you for your to decide to follow. If you are born with a disability thats the life that was already decided for you to live, yes by God. I do believe in God, although I am not wholly religious. Thats just the way I see it.

And I did not say luck was never present in life, I simply said skill will get you further in life than luck will. Skill is for life, luck has its tendencies to run out.

I didn't even get beasted lol. Well I did but not by someone with higher attack than I do defence. Thats whats really bugging me I lost to someone 11 att lvls lower than my def, but when evenly matched 99 att and 99 def, and it didn't even seem to be a match as I won with 40 hp. Just wierd is all, weird.

It's wierd because you didn't do enough trials. The more trials, the better the accuracy. In this case, with a grand total of 1 trial the accuracy is at it's lowest.

Solidus:

Apparently the way I view life differs from the average. Luck has no place in the examples you gave (talents, gender, enironment etc) Everything in life is predisposed. You have a set life-line with various multi-way paths of which are given to you for your to decide to follow. If you are born with a disability thats the life that was already decided for you to live, yes by God. I do believe in God, although I am not wholly religious. Thats just the way I see it.

Well it seems that there's no point in arguing that. By claiming everything is predestined to be the way it is, you basically go against the entire basics of genetics which leads me to believe that you don't believe in genetics. If so, there's no sense in trying to prove stuff on genetics.

And I did not say luck was never present in life, I simply said skill will get you further in life than luck will. Skill is for life, luck has its tendencies to run out.

That's completely besides the point. I am not talking about choosing luck vs choosing skills. I am talking about how whenever you do something, whenever there is an event that has multiple possible outcomes, then there will be luck involved no matter how good your skills are. Like I said before, whenever you have a situation with multiple outcomes, there will be luck. Regardless of how good your skills are, there will always be several outcomes and therefore there will always be luck involved.

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

~Ddaanniiellh

Solidus:

If god chooses people to be born para or quadraplegic then he is a sick twisted freak.

Id rather be an athiest then believe there is some twisted being out there choosing to make certain people suffer for their entire life span and others live a rich happy life.

In no armor fights, defence does not make too much of a difference. I have beaten someone with 70 defence/70 range while i had 74 range and 40 defence (44 prayer.) So im not too sure if defence makes that much of a difference. (in no armor fights)

I engineered this thread with precise variables that I know would cause lul-worthy flames.

Ammo931.png