Grand Exchange: Your thoughts?

ego_scorpion

My arument from qeltar is an ongoing one from a different thread. I called his bluff and am responding under that assumption so to me the there isnt much validity to what he says until he proves what he said initiality in the other thread, that is, owning a rare.

I have never once said I owned a rare.

Reading comprehension is your friend.

I don't need rares to establish my credentials to discuss this subject. I have real world credentials (no, you don't want to know what they are) and my arguments stand on their own merits.

Now, back to the subject. If you think you can use this system to manipulate the market, my guess is that you will be in for a rather rude awakening. It will be VERY easy for Jagex to check for these things and take appropriate action against abusers. If you're as smart as you seem to think you are, you'd stop talking about it on an open forum.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My arument from qeltar is an ongoing one from a different thread. I called his bluff and am responding under that assumption so to me the there isnt much validity to what he says until he proves what he said initiality in the other thread, that is, owning a rare.

I have never once said I owned a rare.

Reading comprehension is your friend.

I don't need rares to establish my credentials to discuss this subject. I have real world credentials (no, you don't want to know what they are) and my arguments stand on their own merits.

Now, back to the subject. If you think you can use this system to manipulate the market, my guess is that you will be in for a rather rude awakening. It will be VERY easy for Jagex to check for these things and take appropriate action against abusers. If you're as smart as you seem to think you are, you'd stop talking about it on an open forum.

Actualy, you did say something about owning a rare or having enough for a rare or some remark to extent of your wealth and when I told you to prove it you backed out, made some excuse. Do I care to the extend of your wealth? not really, I just wanted to prove a point about you LYING.

And also, what do you think proves better knowledge of the games economy, vast wealth, or a big mouth aruging to death that someone is wrong and you are right?

Game Name: Ego Scorpion

Party Hat Sets: 4

Bank Pictures: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=712645&start=0

ego_scorpion.png

Actualy, you did say something about owning a rare or having enough for a rare or some remark to extent of your wealth and when I told you to prove it you backed out, made some excuse. Do I care to the extend of your wealth? not really, I just wanted to prove a point about you LYING.

It would seem to be rather difficult for you to prove that I am "lying" when you can't even accurately recall what I said.

And also, what do you think proves better knowledge of the games economy, vast wealth, or a big mouth aruging to death that someone is wrong and you are right?

As I said, I have far more relevant credentials than owning silly paper hats in an online game.

But as I also said, it's irrelevant. You seem to have a hangup about being oh-so-impressed with your own imaginary wealth, but what really matters is making intelligent arguments, and you've fallen rather short in that respect.

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

3 years ago, I dont know if you played or not, unleash and I took blue party hats, and incraed their prices to 3x the value, making millions. I still have a screen shot from back then in the blogscope -> rate this, containing all the rares.

How is a bank screen shot going to prove that the act of buying blue partyhats tripled their value? And also from what value to what value?

You can say that I will fail, I dont care, I am not looking for followers are people to belive me, my bank speaks for itself, what I am capable of atleast.

In light of recent information, the only thing your bank can speak of is how effectively you were able to manipulate prices. Judging by your story, you didn't even understand that SOMETHING that you did or said had an effect on people which consequently affected prices.

Succeeding to manipulate prices in the past does not mean you will succeed in monopolizing a certain good.

I will say this though, I should have been more clear to how I used monopoly. Perhaps, not being the only one, but having most of something. I gave example with robins how you could have multiple people working together, constantly scanning the exchange, buying out all the robins that are up for lower than they sell for and hten putting them back up.

Monopolies have nothing to do with organized attempts to manipulate the price. Getting a group of people together and all deciding to form a cartel is, as duke freedom stated, against the rules.

Through your various contradictions, baseless speculations, crack theories (not to mention you not understanding what a monopoly is), you have effectively proven and clearly demonstrate that vast wealth does not imply a better knowledge of the games economy.

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

It would seem to be rather difficult for you to prove that I am "lying" when you can't even accurately recall what I said.

As I said, I have far more relevant credentials than owning silly paper hats in an online game.

But as I also said, it's irrelevant. You seem to have a hangup about being oh-so-impressed with your own imaginary wealth, but what really matters is making intelligent arguments, and you've fallen rather short in that respect.

The responses you get are the ones you dserve. I can actualy look through the threads and find the post where I quoted you, but why bother. You said something along the lines of dont assume to know about how much I have this or that so I simply said, prove it and you started making excuses not to. That makes you in my eyes a liar, until you prove it.

Does having rares give me more cridentials? Yes, in a sence that it shows that i know enough to make the $ in the first place to buy them.

You can disagree with my theory of what may happen to your hearts content, I dont really care. Whatever happens I will make best of it.

I cant help but notice the condensending way you talk about game $ as opposed to you are somehow better... we are talking about game and game $ here.

Lastly, I would like to thank you for your time and making my day at work go by that much more quicker. Feel free to message me in game to continue this discussion or ask me for some $ \'

ego_scorpion.png

3 years ago, I dont know if you played or not, unleash and I took blue party hats, and incraed their prices to 3x the value, making millions. I still have a screen shot from back then in the blogscope -> rate this, containing all the rares.

How is a bank screen shot going to prove that the act of buying blue partyhats tripled their value? And also from what value to what value?

You can say that I will fail, I dont care, I am not looking for followers are people to belive me, my bank speaks for itself, what I am capable of atleast.

In light of recent information, the only thing your bank can speak of is how effectively you were able to manipulate prices. Judging by your story, you didn't even understand that SOMETHING that you did or said had an effect on people which consequently affected prices.

Succeeding to manipulate prices in the past does not mean you will succeed in monopolizing a certain good.

I will say this though, I should have been more clear to how I used monopoly. Perhaps, not being the only one, but having most of something. I gave example with robins how you could have multiple people working together, constantly scanning the exchange, buying out all the robins that are up for lower than they sell for and hten putting them back up.

Monopolies have nothing to do with organized attempts to manipulate the price. Getting a group of people together and all deciding to form a cartel is, as duke freedom stated, against the rules.

Through your various contradictions, baseless speculations, crack theories (not to mention you not understanding what a monopoly is), you have effectively proven and clearly demonstrate that vast wealth does not imply a better knowledge of the games economy.

I dont remember the exact price before and after. And it wasnt manipulation perse. When you are rich and known amongst merchants you tend to be mimiced. If you use that to you radvantage with some coordination and simply buy and sell, without any false advertising or misrepresentation and make $ how exactly is that cheating?

If anything id assume real life trading is cheating.... eh?

Oh and as for the term monopoly, english isnt my first language, despite me knowing it fairly well. I chose a wrong term to describe my idea, which I think in theory can easily work, not because I came up with it, but because I have seen it work in other games.

What I posted about prices dropping is what I think will happen, you dont have to agree you are free to do what you want. You jumped into my argument with qeltar from the other thread, thats fine too. Like I said before, duke has a personal vendetta against me so he will do anything and say anything just to try to prove me wrong.

ego_scorpion.png

The responses you get are the ones you dserve. I can actualy look through the threads and find the post where I quoted you, but why bother. You said something along the lines of dont assume to know about how much I have this or that so I simply said, prove it and you started making excuses not to. That makes you in my eyes a liar, until you prove it.

You said I could never afford a rare and I said you had no way of knowing that because I never said what I do or don't have. Now you claim that I am a "liar" if I don't... prove you don't know what I have.

How exactly am I supposed to do THAT? :lol:

Does having rares give me more cridentials? Yes, in a sence that it shows that i know enough to make the $ in the first place to buy them.

For all anyone knows, you could have gotten them by a friend giving them to you, or by hacking other peoples' accounts.

Having a bunch of paper hats says nothing about someone's knowledge level. (Being unable to spell the word "sense" says a lot more.)

I cant help but notice the condensending way you talk about game $ as opposed to you are somehow better...

Money is a means to an end..in the case of a game, having fun. When accumulating more and more of it becomes the goal -- to amounts far beyond what could actually be used for playing -- then something is seriously wrong.

Real-world accomplishments are far more important than pixillated imaginary paper hats.

~q

signew2.png

I dont remember the exact price before and after. And it wasnt manipulation perse. When you are rich and known amongst merchants you tend to be mimiced. If you use that to you radvantage with some coordination and simply buy and sell, without any false advertising or misrepresentation and make $ how exactly is that cheating?

Let me spell it it out for you: manipulation via propagation. Your influence had enough effect to the other merchants to have them do something similar to what you were doing, and it snowballed.

Oh and as for the term monopoly, english isnt my first language, despite me knowing it fairly well. I chose a wrong term to describe my idea, which I think in theory can easily work, not because I came up with it, but because I have seen it work in other games.

It's okay that English isn't your first language, but please, know the meaning of a word before you use it so liberally.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I dont remember the exact price before and after.

So you don't know what the value was before or after, all you know is that you made it increase? Is it even possible to be less credible than that? :roll:

And it wasnt manipulation perse. When you are rich and known amongst merchants you tend to be mimiced. If you use that to you radvantage with some coordination and simply buy and sell, without any false advertising or misrepresentation and make $ how exactly is that cheating?

Presenting an image in the hopes of misleading other people is a blatant form of price manipulation. You even confessed earlier about forming a group with your friends to control or manipulate the prices of robin hood hats, which is another obvious form of price manipulation.

This is your way of justifying price manipulation? :-s . Real life and runescape may have a lot in common economically, however the rules defined by society are very different. Besides, cartels are in fact illegal, and groups of people who get together and agree on prices are illegal.

I've said this too many times: Prove it.

What I posted about prices dropping is what I think will happen, you dont have to agree you are free to do what you want.

The fact still remains that they are invalid and baseless speculations and each time I demonstrated why. I will take my freedom to do what I want and what I want right now is to expose these theories for what they are worth.

You jumped into my argument with qeltar from the other thread, thats fine too.

If it is, why mention it?

Like I said before, duke has a personal vendetta against me so he will do anything and say anything just to try to prove me wrong.

My god, he might even use valid and coherent arguments or even possibly some explanations :o.

That aside, I despise when people use underhanded tactics in a debate like personal attacks or accusations instead of coming forth with better arguments. What you said right here points in that direction, and what you need to be doing is taking duke freedom's arguments point by point and explaining why he is wrong (if you can, that is).

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

You said I could never afford a rare and I said you had no way of knowing that because I never said what I do or don't have. Now you claim that I am a "liar" if I don't... prove you don't know what I have.

How exactly am I supposed to do THAT? :lol:

simple, post a screen shot like i did.

For all anyone knows, you could have gotten them by a friend giving them to you, or by hacking other peoples' accounts.

Having a bunch of paper hats says nothing about someone's knowledge level. (Being unable to spell the word "sense" says a lot more.)

Im not american or english and english language isnt my first. Being able to speak it the way I can is fine enough for me, yet another attempt at a personal attack eh?

Nobody gave them to me, and I certainly didnt hack, my good freind duke freedom witnesed me making the $, right buddy?

I cant help but notice the condensending way you talk about game $ as opposed to you are somehow better...

Money is a means to an end..in the case of a game, having fun. When accumulating more and more of it becomes the goal -- to amounts far beyond what could actually be used for playing -- then something is seriously wrong.

Real-world accomplishments are far more important than pixillated imaginary paper hats.

~q

There you go again, mixing real world and game... What are we talking about here a game or real world, and what are you trying to do here, prove that I am wrong or that you are right?

ego_scorpion.png

I dont remember the exact price before and after.

So you don't know what the value was before or after, all you know is that you made it increase? Is it even possible to be less credible than that? :roll:

No, it was simply 3 years ago and ive been playing other mmos in that time frame. It was from 14 to 40 or something like that if I recall correctly, I may be wrong, like I said, its been a while

And it wasnt manipulation perse. When you are rich and known amongst merchants you tend to be mimiced. If you use that to you radvantage with some coordination and simply buy and sell, without any false advertising or misrepresentation and make $ how exactly is that cheating?

Presenting an image in the hopes of misleading other people is a blatant form of price manipulation. You even confessed earlier about forming a group with your friends to control or manipulate the prices of robin hood hats, which is another obvious form of price manipulation.

Ok, now you have a serious reading issue. I dindt say I did that, I said you CAN do that with the great exhcange... lol... reading comprehension ftw

This is your way of justifying price manipulation? :-s . Real life and runescape may have a lot in common economically, however the rules defined by society are very different. Besides, cartels are in fact illegal, and groups of people who get together and agree on prices are illegal.

actualy no, thats a jab at duke freedom

I've said this too many times: Prove it.

Get world of warcraft?

What I posted about prices dropping is what I think will happen, you dont have to agree you are free to do what you want.

The fact still remains that they are invalid and baseless speculations and each time I demonstrated why. I will take my freedom to do what I want and what I want right now is to expose these theories for what they are worth.

Lets see, whatever you may have read about economics or googled doesnt justify your arguments and in cases personal attacks, just shows that you are resorting to anything to prove a point

You jumped into my argument with qeltar from the other thread, thats fine too.

If it is, why mention it?

Like I said before, duke has a personal vendetta against me so he will do anything and say anything just to try to prove me wrong.

My god, he might even use valid and coherent arguments or even possibly some explanations :o.

That aside, I despise when people use underhanded tactics in a debate like personal attacks or accusations instead of coming forth with better arguments. What you said right here points in that direction, and what you need to be doing is taking duke freedom's arguments point by point and explaining why he is wrong (if you can, that is).

Ok... heres a question... why? I posted what I think will happen, you dont agree? then do what you please. You wonna prove me wrong? thats fine, post it once and let it go... anything after that is obession.

Yes, I stick to it, I think prices will drop because market will be flooded and people will resort to undercutting each other. You disagree? alright, good for you?

Oh and I didnt really bother paying much attentnion to dukes argument because he is a hypocrate... his and mine relationship goes way back, prior to you probably even playing this game, if you want to jump in the middle of that be my guest as well.

Ultimately, you and qeltar seem to assume that whatever you may know or have read about economics somehow makes you right or me wrong... Well, ok, keep thinking that...

wow20ww0.png

Heres my proof of my knowledge :)

http://forum.tip.it/posting.php?mode=editpost&p=5352460

Agree or not, I know enough to be able to make $ and then use that $ to gain skills, thats my play style. I wont be surprised if next you derail this thread even further and start aruging about that.

Did I answer everything, did you obsess enough over my thread, if no, please continue :)

ego_scorpion.png

Yes, I stick to it, I think prices will drop because market will be flooded and people will resort to undercutting each other. You disagree? alright, good for you?

You're probably posting these threads to manipulate the market, actually, given that you've already admitted price manipulating in the past, and have said you'll do it in the future.

Oh and I didnt really bother paying much attentnion to dukes argument because he is a hypocrate...

You haven't been responding to anyone's arguments. All you've been doing is insulting people and bragging about how many paper hats you own.

Heres my proof of my knowledge :)

That doesn't prove you have any knowledge. It could prove that you know how to scam, or account hack, or buy RS gold with real world money -- or just how to Photoshop a screenshot.

All that you are really proving here, with every post, is that you have some major real world insecurities that you need to cover up with by getting strangers on an online game to fawn over you because of your "wealth". It's really not anything that leads me or most other rational people to feelings of jealousy -- pity would be closer to the truth.

~q

signew2.png

whose insulting who here?

I didnt admit to manipulation, actualy, I dont think I ever manipulated. I didnt cause false advertisements or misrepesentation. All I did was buy out a lot of hats :)

I posted my initial argument, but to try to prove a point to you 2 is rather futile because this isnt debating over the result of great exchange implementation, its a debate to prove me wrong - instead of posting what you think will happen eh?

ego_scorpion.png

A lot to reply to... :roll:

Lastly, duke, please stop being high and mighty with manipulation, cheating, rules. Beating a dead horse while being banned for the very same thing... come on, let your grudge go, its been 3 years since we last talked....

...If anything id assume real life trading is cheating.... eh?

There's a HUGE distinction between real life trading and price manipulation (which is scamming in an advanced form). I don't want to be associated with the latter at all and never did anything like that. If you are unable to see the distinction between the two then you know nothing about ethics.

I also want to point out I was on the SELLER side of real life trading. I still fail to see how people can name that as "cheating" or "advantage" in this game. All my gps were made by playing the game. If anything my "rulebreaking" led to a disadvantage in the game - and my real life is none of your business. :roll:

1000's of people selling raw materials. Instead of 1000 people just in W2 suddenly everyone puts up their items for sale. Now, an intelligent person will first look up prices to see how much the item he is selling for is going for, to make sure he chooses the correct price, instead of just randomly putting things up for sale.

Now, when that said person sees 10000 people all selling same thing what do you think, is he gonna put it up for higher price than they are selling for or cheaper? Now imagine that on a very large scale, all those people undercutting each other, well, thatss what I am describing.

That arguement simply ignores the 1000's of buyers too. Though I can say it sounds plausible that materials may see a minor set back when it is implemented, but I don't expect it to be huge.

Duke, when you say your merchants what do you mean, I was just pointing out an example of what someone can do, like it has been done in the past.

The way it was done in the past (with lying and fake bidding) was illegal and has always gone under rule 2: item scamming.

their was a group a few years ago that tried monopolizing half wines, it worked it was like 60m ea and i believe r2 bought a majority of his 66 for 22m ea

That was completely based on fake bidding. Half wines never recovered from it.

I never used an exploit or cheated so no I wouldnt know.

For example, duke freedom has personal vendetta against me so anything he says is hypocritical nonsence, he accused me of cheating long ago ... we all know how that turned out.

You told me different things in private once, which I can't go into detail here due to tip.it rules, but which does point out the real hypocrisy around the big mouth you dare to have against me.

Furthermore, I have better things to do then having personal vendetta against certain individuals. Stop thinking so high about yourself. I have (had) issues with most other merchants because pretty much none of them really care about ethics and only about money making. There's nothing personal about that.

We would then all agree to buy a party hat of a specific color. Well, we would publically start buying them to create demand. Not lying about buying them or pretending to buy them, but actualy buying them. When we would buy sufficient amount we would then start slowly selling them at higher and higher prices until the price collapsed.

Nothing slow about it. The rises were fast and the drops too. Reason why most didn't profit from it at all. And there was a lot of fake bidding around to support the price rises.

3 years ago, I dont know if you played or not, unleash and I took blue party hats, and incraed their prices to 3x the value, making millions.

Considering I kept rare price data when I was active I'm fairly sure that never happened so extreme.

Bank value says nothing about economic expertise. You don't necessarily need to have brains to make 1000's of millions in this game, as I have always said.

It is always easier to attack someone on things that are widely known and try to discreditize him on that. The sad part is that most people who see the need to continously attack me on such a weak point oftenly nearly always aren't clean themselves. The public is so naive. I have always said 90% of the top players in this game are not legit - even before I was banned. I know way too much about way too many so-called "respected" people.

There you go again, mixing real world and game... What are we talking about here a game or real world, and what are you trying to do here, prove that I am wrong or that you are right?

Of his entire post, the only part that you could reply to was his last few words? :roll:

Ok... heres a question... why? I posted what I think will happen, you dont agree? then do what you please. You wonna prove me wrong? thats fine, post it once and let it go... anything after that is obession.

I already stated why in my first post. There's nothing obsessive about debating, might I remind you that you're doing the exact same thing?

If you don't want to debate, don't make such crack theories or such. Now you've made them, stop trying to back off. Saying that I can have my opinions doesn't change the fact that your opinions are flawed and you conclusions are not based on facts.

Oh and I didnt really bother paying much attentnion to dukes argument because he is a hypocrate... his and mine relationship goes way back, prior to you probably even playing this game, if you want to jump in the middle of that be my guest as well.

I've debated with duke freedom and so I find that assessment very hard to believe. I haven't always agreed with him, but he's one of a few people who not only KNOWS and UNDERSTANDS economic theory but also displays it in a very coherent way and even with comes up with some raw data to support his theories. So far, debates with him have been all about challenging the other person's theories which is exactly what a debate should be.

You are almost the exact opposite. You come up with crack theories based on almost complete speculation and without a visible train of thought. Clearly you have little knowledge of how economics works and I am sick to death of your various accusations or reasons as to why you refuse to respond to a particular point.

Ultimately, you and qeltar seem to assume that whatever you may know or have read about economics somehow makes you right or me wrong... Well, ok, keep thinking that...

Well generally to debate economics it helps to know about economics :roll:

BlueSig6.jpg

The public is so naive. I have always said 90% of the top players in this game are not legit - even before I was banned. I know way too much about way too many so-called "respected" people.

I've said the same thing, too. Most of the top players account share, at the very least. There is no other plausible way they could earn as much experience in as short a time period as they do. But the public always retorts with "but jadex wud ban dem" No, it would look unprofessional on Jagex's behalf if they banned someone who was in the top ten in total levels. Therefore, they turn the other cheek.

td2sig.jpg

Solidus, if this was a debate I would continue, however, its not, you and your buddy resort to insults and just aobut anything else. You say I dont understand economics, thats your opinion. As for responding to duke and debating with him, been there done that and most likely before you even knew him.

Duke, cheating is cheating. And no matter how many times I explained to you it was easier to assume that I was a cheater although I have never, not once false advertised. I actualy bought and sold - others mimiced and resorted to other forms of cheating to get their profits, I was rich enough as it was dindt need to do that.

And you made your $ just like I made mine a long term investment, except yours was on a bigger scale. You talk about ethiks, answer me this... the $ you sell somebody else buys to gain an unfair advantage... im bored with this hypocracy honestly.

For once just stop lying to yourself. And as for what went on back then when you made that big post on some forum about how I manipulate blah blah blah I explained it right there and then and you agreed with me. I even went as far to explain to you how I made the $ to begin with, but apparently even that wasnt enough you rather call me a cheater... Hi pot, you are black... no wai kettle.

ego_scorpion.png

The public is so naive. I have always said 90% of the top players in this game are not legit - even before I was banned. I know way too much about way too many so-called "respected" people.

I've said the same thing, too. Most of the top players account share, at the very least. There is no other plausible way they could earn as much experience in as short a time period as they do. But the public always retorts with "but jadex wud ban dem" No, it would look unprofessional on Jagex's behalf if they banned someone who was in the top ten in total levels. Therefore, they turn the other cheek.

Only legitimate skiller that i personaly knew and talked with was the old nite, also a great guy, im still very upset over him passing away. Im pretty sure despite his little itnerview zima isnt legit, but I dont have proof, just my opinion, dont know about others.

1 last thing, duke, stop acusing me and think back to WHO you traded with that resulted in your and what he did... were your ethics on vacation that day?

ego_scorpion.png

I even went as far to explain to you how I made the $ to begin with

Apparently you have forgotten you told me the real truth there then. :lol:

Nah I'm out of here, posting in this thread is not contributing to anything and there's no discussion in here at all anyway... Clearly it has been a while ago that I last argued with blatantly ethicless merchants, I forgot it always ended up in childish yes-no games where actual facts are turned around completely:

you and your buddy resort to insults

Hi pot, you are black... no wai kettle.

:lol:

Edit:

1 last thing, duke, stop acusing me and think back to WHO you traded with that resulted in your and what he did... were your ethics on vacation that day?

I don't know at all what you are talking about.

I didnt admit to manipulation, actualy, I dont think I ever manipulated. I didnt cause false advertisements or misrepesentation. All I did was buy out a lot of hats :)

You are either lying here, or you don't understand what price manipulation is. (Wouldn't be a big shock since you don't seem to know anything else about economics either.)

Here's what you wrote:

We would then all agree to buy a party hat of a specific color. Well, we would publically start buying them to create demand. Not lying about buying them or pretending to buy them, but actualy buying them. When we would buy sufficient amount we would then start slowly selling them at higher and higher prices until the price collapsed.

That's manipulation/collusion. (An excellent example of why people hate merchants, too.)

~q

signew2.png

Threads like this amuse me.. they are all so reminiscent of the proverbial blind men and an elephant.

Exactly, until we see how the GrEx works it is literally speculation.

If the Grex allows buyers to easily buy 1k worth of coal or other items, by buying up small allotments (10 here from person X, 200 there from person Y, etc. etc.) then I can see some market shifts. The power of the merchant comes from leveraged selling.

I work at a library, and most of the people playing I see are children. I know these kids, and while they are good kids, frankly, they do not have the patience to mine 1k coal or the like, so they will mine a little here or there and give up. We do not pay 190 for coal because it is worth that much; we pay 190 because the time saved in buying in bulk is worth that extra money. On their own potatoes, raw yak meat, and bowls of water are relatively worthless, but package them together in a 1k bundle at each and you have a nice 157k package of exp. Priced right, it could blow lobsters out of the market in terms of price per exp.

As for rares being the backbone of the economy, I would have to disagree. Rares are, honestly too rare to be as big a factor as people say. A phat is too valuable to be worn around, and if people do not see them very often, they do not feel that "oooh shiny gotta have it" vibe. At a recent party, I wore a diving helmet, accumulator and fishbowl, and was a "bigger" hit at the party then the phat-wearing host. Treasure Trails are a powerful force, because there are seen commonly enough that people will want them. Trimmed armor, Gmauls, Black masks, boaters, etc. are valuable, b/c they are semi rare and visually cool.

If there were a backbone, I would say it would say it is coal and logs. Coal and logs power the economy, and I do not see how the Grex can disrupt those markets significantly. Even with the rise in shop prices on nats, there was not too great an adjustment on nature prices. Ultimately, even if there is a crash, there is one economic safety net, and that is high alchemy. Prices on raw materials will not raise above the max costs to alch them. The obsessed 99er not included, most people are not willing to trade gp for exp. People want training that either pays for itself, or provides a small profit.

curmudgeony.png