20 November 2007 - Duel Arena Tournaments and Changes

Aneron

Duel Tournaments:

A large area, dating back to the Second Age, has been excavated beneath the Duel Arena, and what better use for it than a new player-vs-player minigame! This is the home of duel tournaments; a challenge for those who felt that only one round of fighting in a staked or friendly duel was a bit wimpy.

For those brave enough to take on up to 63 other players in a duel tournament, there is the potential to win 64 times your original entry fee: high stakes indeed, for an event that will demand your very best.

Which leads to our second addition: Duel Tournament Rankings! Your duel tournament history will be recorded by your rank, which can be viewed from the Hiscores table if you have a rank of 1,900 or above.

The rank will determine which of four ranked tournaments you can enter; for example, high-ranked players can fight other high-ranked players in the 1,900 - 3,500 tournaments. With duel tournaments, you will always be facing opponents of a similar duelling ability to you, across a range of randomly generated tournament rules.

Your rank will also affect the size of the entry fee. Higher-ranked matches generally have higher entry fees, and there is the chance to win much more - up to 64 million gp!

To ensure that you have plenty of opponents, we are keeping duel tournaments to specific servers. Visit worlds 28,44,46,48,54,59,64,78,83,98,110,114,121,129,130 or 132 to spar with the very best that RuneScape has to offer. We are keeping an eye on the duel tournament activity on these worlds, so this selection may change.

There are a huge number of tournament rule combinations, gathered from player submissions and the recent Duel Arena poll, so no tournament will ever feel the same. Fancy fighting through six rounds with no food? Or four rounds with no armour? The variety is massive, offering a challenge for every type of player, whether they are hungry to reach the top or happy to enjoy themselves.

To access the duel tournaments, travel down the stairs south of the Duel Arena Hospital.

Please read the knowledge base article here for more information.

Duel Arena Changes:

We have made some necessary changes to the above-ground staked and friendly duels of the Duel Arena:

* There is now a cap to the amount a player can win in the space of 15 minutes in a staked duel, which is set to 3,000 coins. This limit will make it harder for real-world traders to unfairly use the Duel Arena as a covert way of transferring items. Of course, if you want to take part in some high-stakes duelling you now have the duel tournaments instead!

* The gp value of any item wagered in a staked duel is defined by the 'player value'. This 'player value' of an item will change according to any market fluctuations once the Grand Exchange has been introduced.

* Logging out of a staked duel will mean that you have forfeited the match, and the staked items will go to your opponent.

* Stats boosted before entering a duel will reset to their normal value at the start. You can still use potions during the duel, provided they haven't been disallowed.

In other news...

Various trees on Farming patches had accidentally been enlarged. Also, the texturing on the diseased versions caused them to look quite odd. Both the texturing and size of the trees have now been fixed.

Teleport sounds have been changed so that they're only heard by the spell's caster. Previously these sounds caused some confusion as to what was going on in the player's surrounding area.

Oldak from the Land of the Goblins quest is now a little more helpful when you're further along in the quest. He will continue to teleport you back to the temple if you bring him two law runes and some molten glass.

We have made a number of objects untradeable. These items were either quest objects that were not generally useful after the quest or they were easy to obtain items that were used by scammers who lied about them being rare. Examples include doogle leaves, doogle sardines, sulphur, spinach rolls, polished buttons, the Shantay pass and the axe flier.

Also, in regard to the recent guaranteed content poll...

The results of the Guaranteed Content Poll are here. In it, we asked you two questions - 'Which non-player character would you most like to see graphically updated?', and 'Which group would you most like to see graphically updated?'.

You duly obliged, and we want to thank you all for really making a difference to the game.

So, to the results. Having counted through all of your votes, the Poll Orks are pleased to annouce the following winners:

The winner of the non-player character to be updated is - PARTY PETE

The winner of the group to be updated is - the TZHAAR

Our graphical wizards are now ready with their paintbrushes, eager to begin work on the choices you have made. The fruit of their labours will be included in our very next non-player character graphical update, early next year, so keep your eyes peeled.

Not the 2 I would have chosen but OK :-w

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is now a cap to the amount a player can win in the space of 15 minutes in a staked duel, which is set to 3,000 coins. This limit will make it harder for real-world traders to unfairly use the Duel Arena as a covert way of transferring items. Of course, if you want to take part in some high-stakes duelling you now have the duel tournaments instead!

Holy hell. Even I, not being a stacker, would ahve to say this is hoorible. I highly doubt, and hope, it will last....... :shock:

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

Goodbye staking?

*wait for rants*

3...2....1...rant forum is full

[hide=rants]

Arena Back or I Quit.

created by Dharoks O79 7 20-Nov-2007 12:52:24

by Sonny1991

Large Rant on Dueling Arena

created by How T0 Stake 12 20-Nov-2007 12:52:22

by How T0 Stake

gratz jagex you ruined staking

created by Icepur3 1 20-Nov-2007 12:52:11

by Icepur3

ruined staking.

created by Zedest 3 20-Nov-2007 12:52:10

by Karma B1ue

[/hide]

Colo

- I'm not proud of everything I've done, but I have no regrets

15nu9u1.png

This looks like a very interesting update. I don't understand the 3k limit though :?

nabsigmar2011.png

[spoiler=My 99s (7)]9,638th to 99 Fletching ~ 29th January 2007

737th to 99 Hunter ~ 2nd July 2007

910th to 99 Agility ~ 28th January 2008

59,467th to 99 Defence ~ 23rd December 2009

92,762nd to 99 Hitpoints ~ 26th June 2010

102,704th to 99 Attack ~ 29th June 2010

144,091st to 99 Strength ~ 29th June 2010

I have been in the Duel Arena a grand total of ONE time, just to try it out. I fought around 5 matches (I think) and I bet at least 5k each time. So even a complete novice staker has staked more than Jagex's limit.

That said, watching the Official Forums actually explode is hilarious! Even better than when people complained that they couldn't get the quest cape at level 60-ish!

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

3,000 gp stake limit???

Sorry has to be said, jagex can go (cabbage) themselves over that one...

And from what I can gather, the max winnings per duel now are what, 1 mill if you go into a tourney with only one other person?

Think this could lead to a rise in pking or at least dming, and a fall in those useing the duel arena?

3k limit though, do you think they smoked soemthing before the decided on that one? who the hell would seriously want to win (useing the KB article) an msb or boot n magic log....

talk about shooting your own foot of eh?

Solo GWD'er

Drops: Bandos Hilt x 1/ boots x 1 / Steam staff x 1 / Shards x 9

99 Str/ 99 Att/ 99 HP (More to come...)

okay i saw this on rsof and had to post, look at the red box...

jackassyv2.png

they really think they did a good job?

Solo GWD'er

lol every time we try and enter a tourney when time is up, it laggs everyone out lol. Jagex your good! Not...

i dont think they had enough mods to test out the lagg it causes moving so many people.

Hope they fix it.

Btw , gf stakers, if your truly good at staking just win some tourny's instead of relying on the luck.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I do suggest you take a look at rsof btw, its quite funny actually.. (rants fourm btw)

rsofjustdieddk9.png

My favourite, last one :)

Solo GWD'er

They loop player value on items for the duel arena. That makes me wonder how long it will take for Jagex to implement the same in death piles (a.k.a. wilderness). Imagine the effect that would have on the three items saved upon death.

DutchDreams.png

Anyone else notice this?

The gp value of any item wagered in a staked duel is defined by the 'player value'. This 'player value' of an item will change according to any market fluctuations once the Grand Exchange has been introduced.

Sounds to me that Jagex will be controlling the prices in the GE...

They loop player value on items for the duel arena. That makes me wonder how long it will take for Jagex to implement the same in death piles (a.k.a. wilderness).

they surely wouldnt do that in wildy, else people would go pkign in p hats and prtect them over everyting else...

Solo GWD'er

TOURNY NEEDS FIXING

3 tournies entered, all 3 lost connection when it started as with every other player signed up.

this was across 3 worlds too.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^