Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

20 November 2007 - Duel Arena Tournaments and Changes

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

mugged99
[ Display Name History ]

mugged99

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 419 posts
wait, so theres no 2nd or 3rd place? 1 person takes it all? ugh...

dutchdreams
[ Display Name History ]

dutchdreams

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 589 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • Clan:Fox Cult
They loop player value on items for the duel arena. That makes me wonder how long it will take for Jagex to implement the same in death piles (a.k.a. wilderness). Imagine the effect that would have on the three items saved upon death.

llcoolguy972
[ Display Name History ]

llcoolguy972

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,024 posts
Anyone else notice this?

The gp value of any item wagered in a staked duel is defined by the 'player value'. This 'player value' of an item will change according to any market fluctuations once the Grand Exchange has been introduced.

Sounds to me that Jagex will be controlling the prices in the GE...

time2quit
[ Display Name History ]

time2quit

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • RSN:Sylar
  • Clan:The Sabres

They loop player value on items for the duel arena. That makes me wonder how long it will take for Jagex to implement the same in death piles (a.k.a. wilderness).

they surely wouldnt do that in wildy, else people would go pkign in p hats and prtect them over everyting else...
Solo GWD'er

Drops: Bandos Hilt x 1/ boots x 1 / Steam staff x 1 / Shards x 9

99 Str/ 99 Att/ 99 HP (More to come...)

Danqazmlp
[ Display Name History ]

Danqazmlp

To Ass!

• Members
  • 8,492 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Danqazmlp
TOURNY NEEDS FIXING

3 tournies entered, all 3 lost connection when it started as with every other player signed up.

this was across 3 worlds too.
Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!
Posted Image
Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Arthu
[ Display Name History ]

Arthu

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,218 posts
  • RSN:Arttu

They loop player value on items for the duel arena. That makes me wonder how long it will take for Jagex to implement the same in death piles (a.k.a. wilderness).

they surely wouldnt do that in wildy, else people would go pkign in p hats and prtect them over everyting else...

Whats wrong with that? Smite smite free 200m.
Posted Image
99+ all 23rd March 2012 - 2496 total 13th June 2012.
9000+ dragon drops! Including draconic visage, d chains, d spears, d2h, d claws, d meds, d legs, d skirts... d bones, d hides :)?
Posted Image
I want jagex to put resource dungeons and dungeoneering skill doors to dungeoneering floors so I can dungeon and get dungeoneering xp while I dg so I don't have to dg to get dg exp, but I can dg while I dg :)?

eyehawk78
[ Display Name History ]

eyehawk78

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,404 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:eyehawk78
  • RSN '07:eyehawk88
I'm not even a staker or usually a ranter but I think 3k gp per 15 mins is a very poor decision on Jagex's part.

kemikalkadet
[ Display Name History ]

kemikalkadet

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • RSN:Kemikalkadet

lol every time we try and enter a tourney when time is up, it laggs everyone out lol. Jagex your good! Not...

Btw , gf stakers, if your truly good at staking just win some tourny's instead of relying on the luck.

tourneys you have to win 6 in a row, duels you have to win 1.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Mak_1027
[ Display Name History ]

Mak_1027

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 239 posts
I have never staked or dueled in my rs life ( well rl for that matter), but I think 3k is ridiculously low .... my son is a low level dueler and even he stakes more than that per duel ..sometimes nothing more than a rune scimitar or 5 or 10 k .....but under this new system even that is too much ...I don't even want to hear his reaction when he gets home from school today.
Posted Image

mario_sunny
[ Display Name History ]

mario_sunny

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,412 posts
Everything about this update is excellent, except two things. I don't think it was necessary to dramatically lower the amount of gp players can stake in a 1 vs 1 match. Stakers who were winning blue partyhats are now down to 3k per 15 minutes, that's very dissapointing.

Yes- they can use the clan duel arena for higher stakes- but even then it takes several minutes to get into a match.

And another thing; the ranks are a good way to keep track of "who's the best dueler," but I don't think it was really necessary either. The duel arena is all about grabbing some armor and staking items out of your bank, finding a willing opponent in a few minutes, and winning/losing the stake. However, since there are now rank limits on the four clan arena matches, I don't think this will work very well.

Other than that, it was a creative, and good update. :)
Posted Image
By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

Winner5555
[ Display Name History ]

Winner5555

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 605 posts
Jagex upset a LOT of people with this update, but I'll have to try it out to see before I judge it...If it really is a max stake of 3k, then that seems pretty stupid.
Posted Image
621st person to achieve 99 slayer on December 3rd, 2007
177th person to 99 summoning on June 21st, 2008

meili
[ Display Name History ]

meili

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
This is very bad for all the people who trained up a character for staking. Now they have no reward (3k is a joke). Imagine spending months to get that perfect staker then Jagex just takes it away like that...ouch.

257zrc3.gif

Tsar
[ Display Name History ]

Tsar

The Ace Of Spades

• Members
  • 947 posts
  • RSN:Tsar
  • RSN2:Silk Spectre
  • Clan:The Slayers Guild
Lol, I've never staked over 100k, but seriously... what was Jagex thinking!!! -.-

I could just imagine... former high end stakers sitting in duel arena playing "chase me around the beds" while waiting for the damn 15 minutes to tick through, so they can go and kill each other for what.... 3K??? Thats, like, pocket change. It's even worse than pocket change, it's absolutely rubbish. <.<

World 22 will riot, if they havent already.

Even though I'm not a staker, I can say that on 20.11.2007, staking died. Killed by the same blokes who made it years ago.

About the purpose of this...

If they honestly put "stopping real world trading" as the main reason for this major nerf, then I can without doubt draw parallels to what they're doing, and what G.W. Bush has been doing for the past years. Same principles - eliminate potential evil, not caring about / sacrificing your own people (or players in Jagex's case). Update after update of constant blind fighting against the scum of runescape, leaving quest storylines to be undone, bugs unfixed, skills expanded.... everything which should have been done instead. :x

1vs1 duelling is dead. RIP. :boohoo:
Posted Image

qeltar
[ Display Name History ]

qeltar

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,657 posts
I don't think that this was entirely about RL trading at all. They deliberately wanted to get rid of high-stakes gambling at the arena, but they don't want to admit it.
Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok
Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!
Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!
Posted Image

mario_sunny
[ Display Name History ]

mario_sunny

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,412 posts
I would expect a riot, or several on this update. Let's hope it doesn't go that far again.
Posted Image
By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

kemikalkadet
[ Display Name History ]

kemikalkadet

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • RSN:Kemikalkadet

This is very bad for all the people who trained up a character for staking. Now they have no reward (3k is a joke). Imagine spending months to get that perfect staker then Jagex just takes it away like that...ouch.

Agreed meili, i just got my perfect stats: 99 attack, 90 strength, 99 defense with 99 hitpoints, don't exactly easy stats to attain, and they leave me quite weak in pking, the only pvp my account is really good at was staking and they throw us this =D>
Posted Image
Posted Image

booom
[ Display Name History ]

booom

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 5 posts
world 28

Posted Image

Silver_Corner
[ Display Name History ]

Silver_Corner

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 773 posts

Everything about this update is excellent, except two things. I don't think it was necessary to dramatically lower the amount of gp players can stake in a 1 vs 1 match. Stakers who were winning blue partyhats are now down to 3k per 15 minutes, that's very dissapointing.

I agree, I like the new idea of the tournaments, but 3k is a little silly. If you were going to make the stakes 3k, might as well just get rid of 1v1 staking all together. 3k is kinda pointless, especially in a 15 min period.

I never staked, but I think its kinda silly Jagex did this. I think a better way to change it would have been to make it so the stakes on each side are only 3k difference. Example: If someone taked a dragon long, you would have to put up items within 3k of value to his/her item. To me THAT would make more sense, as a bot/trades might not have the equal amount to stake back.

I dont see this sticking around tho, to many people used staking as a daily activity.
Posted Image

Mak_1027
[ Display Name History ]

Mak_1027

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 239 posts

I never staked, but I think its kinda silly Jagex did this. I think a better way to change it would have been to make it so the stakes on each side are only 3k difference. Example: If someone staked a dragon long, you would have to put up items within 3k of value to his/her item. To me THAT would make more sense, as a bot/trades might not have the equal amount to stake back.

I am also not a staker, but this to me seems like an excellent solution. I would imagine if rl traders are staking they would be either 1 sided stakes or extremely lopsided stakes, so a 3k difference seems reasonable
Posted Image

mario_sunny
[ Display Name History ]

mario_sunny

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,412 posts
What a surprise, a world 28 riot in the duel arena! :P

EDIT: It's getting insanely huge; I think jagex has to step in soon before this gets out of control.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users