Staking riot

subz

I can only assume that Jagex never intended for the duel arena to be any more than a way for players to test their skills against each other, with the stake just being a little bonus for the winner, not a way for people to get rich.

Then why don't they BE HONEST and say that?

Are they that afraid of their own players?

I don't know, like I said, there's not much about this update that makes sense. I guess maybe they were fine with stakers getting rich until the duel arena became a conduit for real world trading. I don't think it's that they're afraid of their players as much as they want to make it publicly known that they're cracking down on rule breakers. I wouldn't be surprised if Jagex came out and told us that we should blame the rule breakers for the end to staking, not them.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Samittaja, although it doesnt require physically having skills, it requires just as much if not more skill on the part of the player to make the irght trades and does not involve the luck factor.

Yea I know, finding a level 34 desperate enough to buy 20 sharks off me for 117k didn't take any luck at all.m ::'

Don't blame stakers for being able to make 100's of millions in a matter of hours.. That's part of staking. It's similar to gambling. Don't forget that stakers can also lose everything they have.

I don't stake, but this will have a huge effect on the market. If jagex doesn't change this back, most stakers will most likely quit. That's a lot of money that is now suddenly taken out of the game. This could cause the prices of everything to rise...or fall...depending on a certain factor. Demand.

Rares were a huge part of staking as well as merchanting. The demand for party hats will be lower due to the fact that stakers will no longer buy them with the cash they made from staking, but the demand will also raise if these stakers all just quit playing runescape.

Serously, most staking is one of the more invigorating parts of runescape. I was never good at it, so I never got into it, but when I did do it, it was a rush that I could possibly lose millions of gp.

Money making is all about manipulating the game in a way that you make the most money the fastest. Runecrafting, for exampe...People spend hours runecrafting natures. Runecrafting was not originally meant for you to sit all day doing the same continous thing to earn a large amount of money.

Nothing Jagex implements is originally designed the way that it is actually used most of the time. By saying that this is "abusing" the system, you state that not playing the way jagex intended it to be played is wrong.

In that case, camping is wrong. Is jagex going to set a cap on the amount of abyssal demons you can kill pure hour? Is jagex going to set a cap on the number of tree's you cut per hour? If jagex going to set a cap on the number of trades you make per hour.

Jagex was in the wrong by changing something that has been the same since the start of runescape, just to "help stop RL item traders"...by punishing legit players, jagex has ruined their own game. Autoers/RL item traders are a problem...you can't solve it by ruining the experience for legit players.

If jagex keeps this up, it will ultimately lead to their demise. Many people do not realize that this update, if left unchange, could have massive effects on the game other then just getting rid of staking. In a sense, Jagex messed with the past...who knows what they may have screwed up in their future.

w4M8t.png

Lol, stupid stakers. Who cares bout them, there idiots.

I'm beginning to see how you've become a mod, kissing Jagex feet.

Don't you see this kills all staking? I'll tell you something, stakers are also players. Even worse, they're also human. For them it's like killing pking, it's their way of playing the game. They weren't harming anyone with it, they were just minding their own business and suddenly Jagex comes and kills their whole game. I'm very disappointed about the attitude of several TIFers: "I don't stake, not my problem". They've just killed the whole point of the game for some people. No, it's not my way of playing either, but I'm still quite upset by this update.

This is the first riot I support. They've gone too far.

+1

i went there today and foudn out i coudl stake a MEASLY 3K

i usually stake 50k now and then

but this has totally ruined the game

ALSO

im ranked 1706 so ican only enter in the all combat style type tournaments...also what about the magers in the top 1700 rank in the melee only what are they gonan do now

Animaslayer.png

Dragon Drops: Platelegs x9, Med Helms x7, Plateskirts x4, Shield Left Half x3, At least 75+ Boots!, Hatchets x5, Ruined Shard x1, Solo Claws x2, Dragon 2Hander x1, Spear x2

Whip x27, Dark Bows x9, Draconic Visage x1

sweetol5.png <- do that when you see me :P

There've been "riots" over many issues in the past. I don't think they achieve very much, but the community spirit is probably a good thing!

Very few riots ever actually change anything jagex have done. out of all the ones ive ever seen, only the one over swiftswitch made any impact on jagex.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Jagex just made a great update one of the worst!

I agreed that JaGex needs to control staking because it's one of the most popular ways for gold selling, however, they really ruined it!

I'm not a professional staker, but it's fun to stake 500k - 1m, it gives risk to the game and makes you to win.

What was JaGex thinking when they made this update?

In many duels, players tend to use food and potions, do you really think a Staker can get any profits from staking if he's using 5 monks and 1 superset of potions per battle, do you think 3k of gold can pay this?

Also, as others said, what about the people that were actualy training stakers? Do you know how much gp you must invest in this type of account? It worth even more than a Pure, because you must "play" with the levels in order to get great combinations that will grant you the victory at the time of the duel. This means that the trully "Staker 4 life" has multiple accounts with high combat levels, that now, are trash thanks to this update.

firmatemplariokz5.jpg

http://darkluniux.blogspot.com

Behold my blog! Thou shalt visit it and rejoice!

I have never staked.... pked... or player killed anywhere outside of Cwars/fight pits. But I do agree Jagex have made a mistake here, stakers tend to only stake.... it's all they do, and now the 3k gp limit has destroyed it's apeal.

I have a suggestion to fix the issue in a way that will respect their reason for capping it, whilst keeping it open. Although I plan to not mention it till i funny understand how the system works (I don't feel like looking like a fool if wrong :P)

Riots however solve nothing, and I hope nobody supports the riots, feel free to support the motivation behind it, but not the actual riot.

sig2webzx7.jpg

Don't blame stakers for being able to make 100's of millions in a matter of hours.. That's part of staking. It's similar to gambling. Don't forget that stakers can also lose everything they have.

I don't stake, but this will have a huge effect on the market. If jagex doesn't change this back, most stakers will most likely quit. That's a lot of money that is now suddenly taken out of the game. This could cause the prices of everything to rise...or fall...depending on a certain factor. Demand.

Rares were a huge part of staking as well as merchanting. The demand for party hats will be lower due to the fact that stakers will no longer buy them with the cash they made from staking, but the demand will also raise if these stakers all just quit playing runescape.

Serously, most staking is one of the more invigorating parts of runescape. I was never good at it, so I never got into it, but when I did do it, it was a rush that I could possibly lose millions of gp.

Money making is all about manipulating the game in a way that you make the most money the fastest. Runecrafting, for exampe...People spend hours runecrafting natures. Runecrafting was not originally meant for you to sit all day doing the same continous thing to earn a large amount of money.

Nothing Jagex implements is originally designed the way that it is actually used most of the time. By saying that this is "abusing" the system, you state that not playing the way jagex intended it to be played is wrong.

In that case, camping is wrong. Is jagex going to set a cap on the amount of abyssal demons you can kill pure hour? Is jagex going to set a cap on the number of tree's you cut per hour? If jagex going to set a cap on the number of trades you make per hour.

Jagex was in the wrong by changing something that has been the same since the start of runescape, just to "help stop RL item traders"...by punishing legit players, jagex has ruined their own game. Autoers/RL item traders are a problem...you can't solve it by ruining the experience for legit players.

If jagex keeps this up, it will ultimately lead to their demise. Many people do not realize that this update, if left unchange, could have massive effects on the game other then just getting rid of staking. In a sense, Jagex messed with the past...who knows what they may have screwed up in their future.

+1

Very nicely written and articulated.

I hope people realise that even if they dont stake this change can have an impact on them, more than they would want. Its a very bad choice by jagex, to give an anology... to kill staking in order to stop real life trading it like shooting a fly with a bazooka.

Hope this change is undone.

Game Name: Ego Scorpion

Party Hat Sets: 4

Bank Pictures: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=712645&start=0

ego_scorpion.png

It's pretty ridiculous to assume that this will have a big effect on the community at large. Every time Jagex changes something like this, most of the people affected simply find something else to do - sometimes, it's other in-game activities, and sometimes, it's another game. Stakers are not a big part of the game, and it looks good for Jagex to appear tough on rule breakers. From their point of view, losing some career stakers is nothing compared to making a much larger contingent of players grateful for more aggressive pursuit of rule breakers.

As for the effect on prices, this will have no effect outside the rares market. Stakers don't buy anything other than a few weapons. Their money, in effect, has been removed from the economy already, in that it is only transferred among the high-end stakers.

There's also the distinct possibility that high-end stakers are much more involved in real life trading than we realize. After all, if you are able to make mils a day by staking, you can turn that into a fairly good real-life income stream. After all, if you already have 5 bil in items, and you win, say, a blue partyhat, are you better off keeping it, or selling it for $1500, or whatever it is worth? It seems to me that players who focus solely on creating a ridiculous and ultimately useless amount of in-game wealth might be very tempted to begin real life trading. And if they really did find a loophole through the duel arena whereby Jagex was aware of their activities and yet unable to stop it because of an inability to get adequate proof, they absolutely had to shut it down.

No, I'm not calling all high-end stakers real world traders. But I am sure that some of them were. I mean, if you are able to become so good at staking that you could reliably supplement your income with $500 or $1000 a week through winning stakes and selling your loot for real money, AND to do so in a way that is indetectable, then it is quite safe to assume that some people were doing that. And guess who starts pounding on Jagex' door when they catch wind of substantial income being earned by people through their game? Government tax agents, that's who.

They could have curtailed the very big stakes without destroying staking entirely.

They very deliberately chose a number so low that it would kill off this entire aspect of the game.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

You can still stake up to a mil per person in a tournament, and you have the ability to run a 2 person tournament, with a max stake of a million coins. Not too shabby.

So in essence, what they've really done is limited the amount of stakes to 1 mil, and made it so that you can't stake against less experienced stakers. I think that should satisfy most people who like to stake for a decent cash prize. It just sucks right now because the tourny system isn't working properly.

hmm, I wonder who is making the decisions up at JaGeX tower... The last few months have been covered with great updates, and (as far as I can tell) everything has better.

Now, with a 3k/15min cap on staking, I don't see how jagex thinks that this will help the game. Behind merchanting, staking is the driving force of the RuneScape economy. Whips were so sought after because they are amazing in duels. Godswords were so dang expensive because of the possible instant KO. Potions are so valuable because of their constant use in the duel arena that would create a demand for a supply.

Now, with all of that demand disappearing, the rules of supply and demand state that the price must fall for the item to be market-sellable. If no one wants to sell things for a super low price, and if no one wants to buy anything at a super high price, only to use them sparingly, why buy them at all?

Making a limit on how much you can earn is a grave mistake on JaGeX's part, since that's the reason why most people play. The chance to gain it all or lose it all. Now, with that gone, i'd expect a fallout of members, their principal source of income.

In their best interest, and that of the game's, I hope that Jagex repeals this decision. I've been playing this game for five years now, and even then in RS1, there were horrible problems with bots. But, they've made themselves part of the game now. All though they aren't exactly good for the game, they've made a niche that the game has grown to need.

All the measures that Jagex is taking against the bots is comparable to someone trying to get all the bacteria out of your intestines. Granted, some of the bacteria is bad, it comes with the good bacteria, which allow your body to process food better, and survive.

If Jagex doesn't repeal this (in my opinion) horrible decision, I would bet money (but not more than 3k -.- ) on the game coming to a quick demise within the next year.

plzstayokrf4.png

sodb4jz.jpg

Sodb Forum

siggiedxc2.png

Stop thinking. It's Runescape.

As for the effect on prices, this will have no effect outside the rares market. Stakers don't buy anything other than a few weapons. Their money, in effect, has been removed from the economy already, in that it is only transferred among the high-end stakers.

This statement is false. Have you considered the following?

The skiller that just sold the staker his blue party hat is now going to spend that 600mil gold on supplies for more skilling? So in essence, the staker gives the $ to skiller, the skiller gives that $ to merchants (to buy supplies) and merchants distribute that $ to everyone else (to buy their things).

So you see, it does affect everybody, you just choose not to see it.

It seems to me that players who focus solely on creating a ridiculous and ultimately useless amount of in-game wealth might be very tempted to begin real life trading.

As one of those people with a ridiculous and ultimately useless amount of in-game wealth I rescent your condescending, stereotype statement. Sorry, but who are you to judge us?

Sure, there is always cheaters, who buy a lot of rares hog them and then sell them for real life $ or stake a lot and sell, but there is rotten eggs everywhere, you cant use such stereotypes.

No, I'm not calling all high-end stakers real world traders. But I am sure that some of them were. I mean, if you are able to become so good at staking that you could reliably supplement your income with $500 or $1000 a week through winning stakes and selling your loot for real money, AND to do so in a way that is indetectable, then it is quite safe to assume that some people were doing that. And guess who starts pounding on Jagex' door when they catch wind of substantial income being earned by people through their game? Government tax agents, that's who.

How about instead of being suspicious of everyone and doing stupid things they dont implement a different change. I have a PERFECT solution for RL trading here for you.

Do not allow one sided or unbalanced stakes. Dont let people stake 10 mil for nothing. This way the person buying $ is now at risk of not only not getting his $, but losing equal amount of $ if the seller dicides to horribly rip him off.

Instead, they made a change that ruined the game for a lot of people who put a lot of time into their characters. I cant help but to feel that to some extent the people gloating over this change were jealous of the stakers.

ego_scorpion.png

You can still stake up to a mil per person in a tournament, and you have the ability to run a 2 person tournament, with a max stake of a million coins. Not too shabby.

So in essence, what they've really done is limited the amount of stakes to 1 mil, and made it so that you can't stake against less experienced stakers. I think that should satisfy most people who like to stake for a decent cash prize. It just sucks right now because the tourny system isn't working properly.

I take it you missed this very important point?

And your tone is moronic. Just because you claim you don't real-world trade doesn't suddenly make all stakers clean. Nor do I really believe you.

You need to get a rank of 1900+ to stake the million coins, as it stands now that basically means you need to be (nearly) maxed melee or (nearly)maxed tank to get up there.

there are no stupid questions

just way too many inquisitive idiots

balance is scary to people who like things easy for them

Utopianflame.png

Find another way to make money? -.-

Seriously, I don't see much good about arguing about this. If you want to somehow convince JaGEx to repeal this update, post in the RSOF. Otherwise, deal with it.

icecube7.jpeg

You need to get a rank of 1900+ to stake the million coins, as it stands now that basically means you need to be (nearly) maxed melee or (nearly)maxed tank to get up there.

Just because they said they won't move the 3k/15 minute cap doesn't necessarily mean they aren't going to tweak the system at all.

And aren't most of the good stakers nearly maxed anyways?

Just because they said they won't move the 3k/15 minute cap doesn't necessarily mean they aren't going to tweak the system at all.

I dont think they will be tweaking the 1m stakes being only for the top group either.

Not always, although I dont know how much it's changed over the last few years.

there are no stupid questions

just way too many inquisitive idiots

balance is scary to people who like things easy for them

Utopianflame.png

I take it you missed this very important point?

And your tone is moronic. Just because you claim you don't real-world trade doesn't suddenly make all stakers clean. Nor do I really believe you.

Sorry, I thought I was responding to an intelligent person, but sadly I was wrong :wall: :wall: :wall: . You believing me is as important to me as respect of self-proclaimed high-protectors of the intrawebz. Point being you are being self-centered and judging.

All I can tell you is I hope you are not a skiller with that narrow view because it will turn around and bite you.

ego_scorpion.png

I dont think they will be tweaking the 1m stakes being only for the top group either.

Not always, although I dont know how much it's changed over the last few years.

Well regardless, you don't really have to be maxed to get to the highest ranking. From reading the knowledge base, and judging on how the only other ranking system in the game (games room) works, you go up in rank simply by winning tournaments. So I would assume that the only thing you need to do in order to get into the top ranks is win a lot more of your stakes than you lose, to people who have ranks near yours. This means you will go up in rank by winning 1 on 1 stakes - which ALSO means that you have to actually work for the right to stake the highest amount. Which means it's basically a minigame where your opponents are other players.

KBD148: Your post is not only biased, it is also very stereo typical. What you argue is like saying that because the majority of black people are poor hoodrats that live a life of crime, all black people should be punished.(Sorry if this offends anyone, it is merely an example).

As to those who say "Find a new way to make money.": Why should these people have to find a new way when staking was primarily a permanent part of this game. Staking has been around almost since the start. People who have been staking for years as their primary money source should have to change the way they like to play? NO! I suggest that these people quit if Jagex makes no change. I suggest that you all quit. That's like Jagex taking out the entire skill of runecraft...afterall staking has been around longer then runecraft. What's to say that they don't take it out?

Jagex is in the wrong, and if they don't make any changes, I suggest everyone, affected by the update or not, quit. Who knows how long til Jagex ruins what makes the game fun for you.

w4M8t.png

I was hoping I'd get another senseless, idiotic response. Thanks for coming through on that one, it was worth the laugh :lol:

I don't expect you to care whether or not I believe you, although your tone rather suggests you care a great deal.

On a large enough scale everyone becomes irrelevant, however, this update does hurt quite a few people. I dont see how you can justify hurting the playstyle of that many.

Turning a blind eye to the fact that others are being screwd bad isnt the best thing to do, but hey this is the internet right.

ego_scorpion.png