My Problem With Rap Music...

RayOxide

This is a privately run forum, freedom of speech is not applicable here.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nadril, quit saying I'm trying to blame it all on one genre. I'm not.

All you little [developmentally delayed] flaming me because I express my opinion obviously have never heard of 'freedom of speech'.

Lock please. I think the lame flaming (EVEN THOUGH I ASKED TO STOP :| ) has gone too far.

There is no freedom of speech on a privately owned forums, you lose.

And you are trying to blame it on a genre, if you wern't you wouldn't have made a thread titled "My problems with rap music.

To be clear, it wasn't "my problems with rock music" or "my problems with music" but it was clearly putting the blame on rap.

Hah, take mainstream out? Then what's the point of the debate about rap music.

The thing is, the mainstream music represents the genre. Just by asking us to 'ignore' the mainstream is asking us to ignore the important part of the genre.

The mainstream has more impact than some obscure rapper no one has heard about. Your lyrics are cute and all, but you're kidding yourself is the majority of rap is anything like that.

The mainstream songs are what truly sets rap is a horrid genre.

Hah, ok than. If this was true that I could say easily that rock completely sucks (the mainstream music does), Metal sucks, ect. Anyone who only takes into account mainstream music isn't worth even talking to in this case because almost all of mainstream music is garbage. There is a reason why most mainstream rap songs (and other songs) are about "hos" and objectifying women.

IT SELLS.

Get off your high horse. You're no more mature than him by resulting to ad hominem attack.

haha, and this is really the pinnacle of maturity its self? :

All you little [developmentally delayed] flaming me because I express my opinion obviously have never heard of 'freedom of speech'.

Can I get an AMEN to that?!

AMEN Brotha'!

Oh, and here is another statement that is a lot like yours, Ray:

"I have a problem with black people. Some of them resort to crime, and I think it's a more widespread problem than any other race".

Now doesn't that sound, like, incredibly silly and racist? Trying to classify one genre of music in the same way is also incredibly silly.

Take mainstream music out of the picture, this is my point. If you do that you'll see much more diverse styles and lyrical content, where as most mainstream songs seem to follow some simple pattern for lyrical content.

Hah, take mainstream out? Then what's the point of the debate about rap music.

The thing is, the mainstream music represents the genre. Just by asking us to 'ignore' the mainstream is asking us to ignore the important part of the genre.

The mainstream has more impact than some obscure rapper no one has heard about. Your lyrics are cute and all, but you're kidding yourself is the majority of rap is anything like that.

The mainstream songs are what truly sets rap is a horrid genre.

Pff, what a sad little guy you are (ray, not you Nadril :P). It's people like Ray that make me wonder what I'm doing here.

Get off your high horse. You're no more mature than him by resulting to ad hominem attack.

Mainstream does not represent the genre,the kind of mainstream music that nadril is most likely talking about is basically chart music. I mean common is mainstream,that doesn't mean his lyrics don't mean anything. Same with Nas,The wu tang clan. I could make a list.

Seriously,who are you? Every post i've seen you make has been a negative one and rayoxide was posting this crap before you even got here.

^I never said kanye wests lyrics were good. I am not backpedalling. It seems you have a one track mind just like ray so there is little point arguing with you at all. The reason i said all your comments are negative is because they are...why not let off some steam somewhere else instead of acting like a complete [bleep] here?

I strongly dislike rap music (although I find some of the earlier, original rap artists tolerable), and dislike modern rap especially - the lyrical content is laughable, and most of the songs seem terribly uncreative.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but may I ask why rap is considered music? Music actually has notes, whereas rap typically consists of a basic, synchronized beat and an individual speaking in rhythm with that particular beat.

I strongly dislike rap music (although I find some of the earlier, original rap artists tolerable), and dislike modern rap especially - the lyrical content is laughable, and most of the songs seem terribly uncreative.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but why is rap even considered music? Music actually has notes, whereas rap typically consists of a basic, synchronized beat and an individual speaking in rhythm with that particular beat.

Yet another person who has no clue what they are talking about in general.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but why is rap even considered music? Music actually has notes, whereas rap typically consists of a basic, synchronized beat and an individual speaking in rhythm with that particular beat.

I was simply stating that I dislike the genre and explaining why I dislike it.

Now, please explain to me why rap can be considered music.

I was simply stating that I dislike the genre and explaining why I dislike it.

Now, please explain to me why can be considered music.

muÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâ÷sic /ÃÆââ¬Â¹Ãâ¹Ã¢â¬Â myuzÃÆââ¬Â°Ãâêk/

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãânoun

1. an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.

2. the tones or sounds employed, occurring in single line (melody) or multiple lines (harmony), and sounded or to be sounded by one or more voices or instruments, or both.

3. musical work or compositions for singing or playing.

4. the written or printed score of a musical composition.

5. such scores collectively.

6. any sweet, pleasing, or harmonious sounds or sound: the music of the waves.

7. appreciation of or responsiveness to musical sounds or harmonies: Music was in his very soul.

8. Fox Hunting. the cry of the hounds.

Now tell me how so, exactly, is rap 'not' music?

Just because you dislike it does not mean it automatically falls off the mark of being music.

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãânoun

1. an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.

2. the tones or sounds employed, occurring in single line (melody) or multiple lines (harmony), and sounded or to be sounded by one or more voices or instruments, or both.

7. appreciation of or responsiveness to musical sounds or harmonies: Music was in his very soul.

Just because you dislike it does not mean it automatically falls off the mark of being music.

Well, I admit I was biased. I just think rap lacks possession of many attributes prior to the term "music".

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãânoun

Well, I admit I was biased. I just think rap lacks possession of many attributes prior to the term "music".

It doesn't. The fact is I can go on about mainstream rock, for example, for mostly having the same few chords over and over in a song with something that could hardly be considered singing. Or pop for, again, having very basic chord structures.

You get the idea, right? I've said it a hundred times but look past whats mainstream for 'good' stuff from a genre.

I could go around saying that I dislike a specific type of music genre, but I don't. You could say something negative in any type of music, how could one be specifically biased towards rap? Just because the mainstream rap artists (e.g.: Soulja Boy :?) display themselves as idiotic hoodlums doesn't mean that you can immediately use them as a stereotype for other rap artists. The same could be said for rock artists, etc. Vulgar language and ideals can be spread in ANY genre of music, just as Nadril pointed out. Can I get a WOOT WOOT? :)

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

My problem with RayOxide is that he thinks everyone cares about what genre of music you listen to, or what clothes you wear, as it obviously defines everything that you stand for. To say you dislike a whole genre when you have only sampled a tiny bit of what it has to offer, and to point out faults that occur in a great deal of popular music, just render your opinion useless.

I can't believe you were expecting something other than the response you got after your "voicing of opinion". We all have opinions that don't have a complete understanding of, but those opinions I keep to myself.

657757fr7.png

SHH HUT YUH MUH. DERKHED.

Backup people, no need to kick a dead horse (that is, to hit rayoxide over and over with flame). So far most people here seem to have the idea "Hm, others are in agreement, better fall in line and start pointing fingers". It's unfair how most people here seem to prefer saying "you're narrow minded" and "stop hating" than actually respond to his question.

For one thing, ray does have a point, nobody can say it's wrong because it's a fact. One, that much of rap does use obscene language. Of course, "bad" language is relative, but there's a reason why R&B songs appear on light music radio stations, but very little rap does. Adding to that, there's a reason why the "parental advisory" sticker comes on physical albums.

For another thing, I like rap, I don't like metal. Hopefully that tidbit will give me some leverage on the rap vs other genres case.

It's not true that rap as a whole treats women badly. Some do, granted, but most just use women in their music videos to sell it. Sex sells. All genres use it. And as for drugs and alcohol and such, that's hardly an issue. They don't have so much to do with rap as it does with acting hard, being a gangsta. Hence "gangsta rap", which for the most part I dislike.

Ironically, my favorite rap (tupac anyone) from the 90's hardly has a problem with womanizing, but it does fail the language part. It may go contrary to what I said before, but whatever.

Oh, back to ray's point that rap has bad influences. He wasn't so much saying that rap was the only bad genre, but that it had a higher ratio of bad to good songs than is comfortable. I agree with that actually, at least how it's going nowadays.

I don't know if hip-hop is dead as Nas said, but I think rap is. Honestly, I think rap had a one-two blow to death. Songs like Crank that, This is why I'm Hot, and my personal nemesis, Party Like a Rockstar (anyone else see the pure irony in that?) is killing the genre.

Rap is most definitely music. Good or bad is opinion based of course, but it's music.

Life is a joke. Yeah, I don't get it either.

2) Some can influence people to swear more, and use disgusting variations of the English language.

I've cursed like a sailor since I was 8 years old and still do to this day. I didn't hear rap music until I was 10. Rap can't make me curse more. I was raised in a pretty low end neighborhood and I just picked it up from the kids around me, not the music I listened to. And those "disgusting variations" give character. What if we all spoke perfect English? Conversations wouldn't have the jazz they have now..

"How are you doing, Ray?"

"I'm doing quite well Deloria. How is your family doing?"

"Very well. Very well indeed.."

BORING! Mix it up, throw in some accents, some slang.. They stuff you take for granted and claim to hate but you wouldn't want to be without it.

I understand what you mean, I hate rap music too. I don't think it's music either, just some fast talking.

krikke321.png

Computers will never be above humans because we made them.

That's what monkeys used to say about us.

I used to dislike rap a bit (I don't like the pinheads that are known as 50 Cent, Snoop Dogg, Twista, etc), but ever since hearing Chamillionare's latest album, Ultimate Victory, I somehow had an ear for some rap. Call me stupid, but I don't like the thug "shootin' some [n-word]as"-rappers.

safari20hat11.jpg

We should euthanize anyone who lacks the capability to contribute to society in any way.

Please don't elect this man for president in 2012

I understand what you mean, I hate rap music too. I don't think it's music either, just some fast talking.

Ignorance. Try to just 'talk fast' and see what it sounds like, ok?

It does take a good amount of rhythm to be able to rap well. You can't just talk fast and expect it to sound good, and anyone who thinks that is, well, :wall: .

At any rate the hell is up with everyone thinking it isn't music? Dislike it, sure, but it damn well is music as it fits the very deffinition of music I posted earlier.

I've said it before, I'm not a big fan of rap (never got into it) but to completely disregard it as taking no skill and surmounting it to 'fast talking' is quite the insult. Sure, maybe some mainstream stuff may not have very much skill behind it -- but mainstream rock/pop doesn't either. I mean, hell, the lead singers in various mainstream emo bands can't sing worth a damn and certainly can't do a decent scream to save their life.

Its the same thing as mainstream pop singers are not the best at vocals either or the music behind it.

I used to dislike rap a bit (I don't like the pinheads that are known as 50 Cent, Snoop Dogg, Twista, etc), but ever since hearing Chamillionare's latest album, Ultimate Victory, I somehow had an ear for some rap. Call me stupid, but I don't like the thug "shootin' some [n-word]as"-rappers.

It's just good that you understand there is more to the genre than the mainstream rap radio and TV plays.

As an experienced keyboardist, I vouch for the actual "music" in rap songs to garner some credit. A lot of that stuffs not easy to play/program. And quite frankly, whenever I'm listening to rap, I'm just enjoying the instrumentals of it; its almost unfair that the talentless icon rapper gets all the credit for his songs, when in fact there are pretty skilled musicians behind the scenes giving popular songs substance that they wouldn't have normally.

Metal fans, check out my band!

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

Forgot to add this, but to the people who claim rap isn't music, I ask you this: Do you actually listen to rap apart from taking other people's opinions? Like Nadril has said many times, rap isn't just beats and "fast talking" (sometimes, you can actually understand the lyrics). I dare you anti-rap folk to try rapping something. More likely, Soulja Boy Tell 'em would crank it (for a lot of people, it would be scary).

To disprove a lot of these anti-rapper nonsense (I don't mean the ones that are honest, I mean the ones that seem to hate rap because of who knows what), I want you guys to listen to "Hip-hop Police" by Chamillionare and Will Smith's "Getting Jiggy with It" and tell me if they are really talking fast or have nothing but beats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CplMTGorUtI

Case closed, ya'll...

safari20hat11.jpg

We should euthanize anyone who lacks the capability to contribute to society in any way.

Please don't elect this man for president in 2012