Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is God real post your thoughts!

• Please log in to reply
4566 replies to this topic

Romy
[ Display Name History ]

Romy

[Witty and Meaningful rank]

• Members
  • 3,172 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

And God does not fill in the gap of knowledge for the ways we should act, etc.

Dunno about God, but the Bible definitely does. "You shall not murder" seems like a perfect example for a guideline simply thrown at us, or in other words "how we should act".

As I said, the reason why a belief in God does not excuse one from morality is that have consciousness and the ability to make moral deductions therefore with their own ability they should be able to reach the same conclusions of morals as one who takes them from Dogma. To be blunt, a disbelief in God is not damning, it is only considered being blind and one is not damned for being blind.

Religion tells you what you should be acting like. It doesn't matter whether you have the choice or not, you're told what you should be doing.

I greatly dislike the idea atheism 100% of the time is derived from reason.

Ofcourse not, I never claimed otherwise. Many atheists just base their opinions on a general dislike of religion, or irrational feelings, as do theists.

I'm sure if you took the same statistic in the 1500's it would be extremely different and in favor of the religious.

I'm not too sure, back then atheism was almost exclusively a philosophers' thing.

The high rate of dismissal of religion is an occurrence of modernity not intelligence.

Perhaps, perhaps not. Either way I was only pointing at stats, nothing more.

Obivously if one associates the fundamentalists with the moderate theists intelligence with drop as many fundamentalists do not care about the rationale of things. I'm sure there are many atheists who are not self-proclaimed atheists but are incredibly illogical.

Obviously. There are extremely stupid people in both groups.

Let me just make something clear here. I definitely wasn't saying being atheist makes you smart, and neither was I saying being religous makes you dumb. There are smart and dumb people in both groups.
What I was saying, is that statistics show the average "member" of each group tends to be more/less educated.

magekillr
[ Display Name History ]

magekillr

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,536 posts
Intelligence isn't the same thing as being educated, though. A stupid person is not necessarily ignorant, and an ignorant person is not necessarily stupid. Nonetheless, what I've seen is that on the whole atheists are more intelligent. It also comes down to open-mindedness, and religion restricts your ability to be open to new ideas. It's the dogmatic nature of it, mixed with the fact that people base their entire lives on their religion, that they will defend it to the very last drop even when it's obvious that they're wrong. I mean, if my entire life was based around the creation story, I could see myself being dogmatic and outright rejecting evolution. If my entire life was based around that, it would fall apart if I accepted that. So people who are more susceptible to the dogmatic nature of religion are, in general, less intelligent than those who are not.

fakeitormakeit2
[ Display Name History ]

fakeitormakeit2

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 662 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:kaisershami
  • Clan:Not in one.

Intelligence isn't the same thing as being educated, though. A stupid person is not necessarily ignorant, and an ignorant person is not necessarily stupid. Nonetheless, what I've seen is that on the whole atheists are more intelligent. It also comes down to open-mindedness, and religion restricts your ability to be open to new ideas. It's the dogmatic nature of it, mixed with the fact that people base their entire lives on their religion, that they will defend it to the very last drop even when it's obvious that they're wrong. I mean, if my entire life was based around the creation story, I could see myself being dogmatic and outright rejecting evolution. If my entire life was based around that, it would fall apart if I accepted that. So people who are more susceptible to the dogmatic nature of religion are, in general, less intelligent than those who are not.

Dogmas are generally either extremely specific or too vague to have any affect on one's open-mindedness. It has to do with being a drone who follows what one person says as a dogma. For instance the Catholic dogma on creation is so reconcilable with science all the conditions needing to be met are just that God is the prime and source. It doesn't matter if the universe was created by the Big Bang or some unexplainable occurrence, however people misinterpreted the dogma in their own close-mindedness and said God directly and literally molded the earth himself 6000years ago. Most religious persons' inability to reconcile religion with reason and science is out of their own egotism, self-desire or stupidity.

But dogmas have nothing to do with close-mindedness really. My grandmother who is a strict Catholic and all that who went to school when nuns and priests taught and she knows all the dogmas and stances of the major theologians yet believes in Evolution and the "glory and marvels of science" as she puts it.

And to romy saying you are told what you should do is not completely correct. The canon means rules in Greek. It is not called laws, they are guidelines. Anything in the canon can be dispensed in a certain instance. Dogmatic items cannot be broken, and they're reasonable things, like one should follow what they believe in as long as it does not infringe or effect others ability and is in accordance with their conscience.
Posted Image

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked... Your daily life is your temple and your religion

Saru Inc
[ Display Name History ]

Saru Inc

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,463 posts
  • RSN:Saru Inc
  • RSN2:Saruman44
  • RSN '07:Thengel55
  • Clan:SODB

Half of that paragraph I agree with, the other half is in meh territory. First off, there's so many damn red neck and effectively stupid peasants who worship God so their corn will grow, that's bound to affect the status of intelligent theists v. atheists. (thats more about the post above yours)

The only difference I see from Atheism and Theism, is the God you worship. Theists worship the idea of no God, you worship the idea of a God. That statement might make no sense, but if you think about it, it really is completely true. Now, that we have defined that, being Atheistic does not guarantee you that you'll be open minded, same for being theistic. Which is really why I find the idea of comparing statistics of followers of different religions quite strange, it's really just useless semantics that doesn't affect the argument itself.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts
People are going to be people regardless of their beliefs, really.

Saru Inc
[ Display Name History ]

Saru Inc

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,463 posts
  • RSN:Saru Inc
  • RSN2:Saruman44
  • RSN '07:Thengel55
  • Clan:SODB
Thats what I'm trying to say L I'm just not good at communicating my thoughts >.<

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Perakp
[ Display Name History ]

Perakp

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 719 posts
  • RSN:Perakp
  • Clan:TSG

However, I was uneducated theologically and through a greater understanding and clarity I was able to see both reason and God.

Good for you, I guess. After all the "theological education" I've gotten, I haven't been able to see that.

We went through our old holiday photos yesterday and there I had my silver cross in june 2007. I lost it somewhere that year however and haven't had any necklaces/ jewellery since. I took part in my last christian camp that summer (it was my summer job) and my first post in this topic was in november 2008. So something happened there.

Believe it or not, everything is not possible.

Here's a good example (from another topic)

I try desperately to create a triangle with two obtuse angles.

I know, you probably think me an idiot. But I think it's possible. So I keep trying. After all, those who broke the possibility barriers of the world were some of the best benefactors, eh?

:mrgreen:

Thinking that everything is possible, even if only to a supernatural force, I believe, is immensely dangerous to both individuals and the community.

Now I have to apologize to Lent, because it is infact possible to make a triangle with two obtuse angles.
http://en.wikipedia....lidean_geometry
http://en.wikipedia....ki/János_Bolyai

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users