Is God real post your thoughts!

Joes_So_Cool

So in order to have "real" or "complete" free will, we shouldn't have conquences for our actions is what your saying..

"Why can't I commit murder and not go to hell? Thats not free will!"

Yeah keep thinking free will is not having consequences.

If you love me, send me a PM.

8 - Love me

2 - Hate me

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is God real? Post your thoughts.

Oh God... Excuse the pun.

Why won't you people just leave this topic alone, I guess this is going to be another one of those 150+ page crapfests that'll I'll see every single day on Off-Topic for the next 6 months until someone eventually has the nuts to lock it.

To answer the question of the topic. No I don't believe there is some sort of superior being who has made the universe and everything in it. I believe it has evolved over several billion Earth years and we are alone. Simple as that. Next! :|

dwmafianw7.jpg

Notoriously Trollish.

Author has requested lock on the grounds of not being able to reply to all posts, but as this is the only "religion" topic currently active, it could stay open as long as there's no flaming or abuse towards other users.

How can you say He is imposing limitations? Yes, the 10 C's are "law" in some sense. Yes, you break them, you are going to Hell.

I have read the Bible and I certainly never read such a passage. Please tell me where in the Bible it says you are going to "hell" if you don't obey the ten commandments.

Not that it couldn't be used as a weapon against christians; Just about every person has broken a commandment or doesn't even remember them, I just don't recall that being in the old or new testaments.

What I think happens with these kind of topics is, people get mixed up between believing in a god and following a religion, which are very much two different things...

Couldn't had said it better... I don't follow any religion, but I also find total atheism irrational. You can never rule out the possibility the universe has been created illogically. Heck, I'm not appealing to authority here, just showing an example.. Albert Einstein was one of the most rational and intelligent people on Earth when he lived. Yet he believed in God.

I don't believe in God, but it wouldn't be surprising to find out one (or multiple) exist. Matter doesn't just appear out of nowhere...

That doesn't mean I should belong to a "fanclub" of God such as the 'christians', 'islam', 'buddhism', 'judaism' or anything else... You can believe or acknowledge his possible existance despite not 'belonging' to cults worshipping them.

Someone recently said something to me like "the reason i'm losing my faith is because last time I went to church, not one person bothered to smile at me or wish me well, and everyone looked miserable. Considering this religion preaches love and peace, there doesn't seem to be much of it about at churches."

logo.jpg

Albert Einstein was one of the most rational and intelligent people on Earth when he lived. Yet he believed in God.

This is different again though. Richard Dawkins (I believe) coined the term Einsteinian God. When Einstein was talking about god he was just using it as a term for the governing forces and laws in the universe.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

How can you say He is imposing limitations? Yes, the 10 C's are "law" in some sense. Yes, you break them, you are going to Hell.

I have read the Bible and I certainly never read such a passage. Please tell me where in the Bible it says you are going to "hell" if you don't obey the ten commandments.

This is a part of Matthew 25, not exactly about the ten commandments, but good enough...

[hide]31 "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. 32Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. 34Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.' 37Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?' 40And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'

41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.' 44Then they also will answer, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?' 45Then he will answer them, saying, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.' 46And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."[/hide]

Very nice... -.- Then again, earlier in Matthew 25 it says:

[hide] 1"Then the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroom. 2Five of them were foolish, and five were wise. 3For when the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them, 4but the wise took flasks of oil with their lamps. 5As the bridegroom was delayed, they all became drowsy and slept. 6But at midnight there was a cry, 'Here is the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.' 7Then all those virgins rose and trimmed their lamps. 8And the foolish said to the wise, 'Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.' 9But the wise answered, saying, 'Since there will not be enough for us and for you, go rather to the dealers and buy for yourselves.' 10And while they were going to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was shut. 11Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, 'Lord, lord, open to us.' 12 But he answered, 'Truly, I say to you, I do not know you.' 13 Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour.[/hide]

So basically, if you aren't wise, you don't deserve to go to heaven... :thumbsup: I know it's a parable, but still...

best-guide-ever.jpg

"Wait, how can I believe in God? My religion has too many of them..." by my friend (who is Sri Lankan, a Hindu)

My mother would always reprimand me for not wanting to go to church. To be honest, I was never a religious child even though I went to church every Sunday and even attended Sunday School as a kid. She would say that I should always have time for God, how I should always praise him.

But then again, does he really love us back? We pray to him, he offers us protection and yet there's a war going on, there's children suffering around the world. That's only one of the many reasons why I don't believe.

Yet I still class myself as a believer. My parents would never accept that I don't believe in God. I still go to church every sunday, I still pray.

Since this is OT, there's gonna be a handful of people who will try and prove me wrong, given the chance. I just thought I don't want anyone to start anything, since this is OT and a religious topic O:)

Ultra Unholy,

Hearted Machine...

"Wait, how can I believe in God? My religion has too many of them..." by my friend (who is Sri Lankan, a Hindu)

My mother would always reprimand me for not wanting to go to church. To be honest, I was never a religious child even though I went to church every Sunday and even attended Sunday School as a kid. She would say that I should always have time for God, how I should always praise him.

But then again, does he really love us back? We pray to him, he offers us protection and yet there's a war going on, there's children suffering around the world. That's only one of the many reasons why I don't believe.

Yet I still class myself as a believer. My parents would never accept that I don't believe in God. I still go to church every sunday, I still pray.

Since this is OT, there's gonna be a handful of people who will try and prove me wrong, given the chance. I just thought I don't want anyone to start anything, since this is OT and a religious topic O:)

You say you don't believe in god in other sentence and in other sentece you say you class yourself as a believer and go to church and pray. :-s I don't understand.

Reality is hundreds of times more beautiful and more interesting than delusions. Fairy tales just tend to be easier to follow than the wonderful intricacies of life.

You say you don't believe in god in other sentence and in other sentece you say you class yourself as a believer and go to church and pray. :-s I don't understand.

I don't really belive in God but I don't call myself an Atheist or Agnostic. I'm still Catholic but I'm really unsure about God's existence. My wording is terrible, I'll probably confuse a lot of people :P

Ultra Unholy,

Hearted Machine...

Albert Einstein was one of the most rational and intelligent people on Earth when he lived. Yet he believed in God.

This is different again though. Richard Dawkins (I believe) coined the term Einsteinian God. When Einstein was talking about god he was just using it as a term for the governing forces and laws in the universe.

Yeah, it's a bit like Stephen Hawking, who's an agnostic, but uses God's name a lot as a metaphor for a lot of things.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

I can prove he/she's not real considering no one has any evidence at all other then word of mouth that Jesus walked on water.

Why would god create rapists, terrorists, murderers, thieves, the list goes on and on, is it because he/she gets some sick humor out of it? If so, I don't think that's the man I want to be praying and worshiping.

Word of mouth can be a valuable thing, but others can twist and turn the words to make them horribly wrong.

Yes, different people did write the bible, I'll give you that.

There is rape, murder, and slavery in the bible.

If god is real, why would he make the people that he made be tortured. For his own amusement?

Please post you're thoughts, and I'll do my best to reply to the meaningful ones.

~Joe

Wow, that's it. You've cracked it. Man, why didn't anyone think of this sooner?

I tell you what Joe, perhaps you're the God we've all been looking for.

Im down on my knees already.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

For those who say a God does exist, how can you prove he/she/it does? And for those who say a God does not exist, how can you prove he/she/it does not? Truth is, none of us will know til our corpse hits the floor.

Personally, I do believe there is one. I do not believe that He created such things stated above such as terrorists or rapists, mankind made that choice. As a final comment, this is my view on those who cannot fathom the belief that God can be omniscient yet humans having free will:

If you understood God, you would be him.

Hevendor_Guy.png

rsdeadzm5.png

There's cake through here, apparently.

For one thing, Religion was basically started to my knowledge when "Cavemen" so to speak, were still roaming the earth. They made up religion because they didn't know why some things were happening. For instance, they didn't know why it would rain, so they said some higher being was making rain.

Another thing, is that there is no solid proof that god does indeed exist. Of course, there's no proof saying he doesn't exist, but why would he exist. Everything that happens (nature wise) in our world is purely natural. It's all just based on beliefs, just like Santa, and the Easter bunny.

Finally, it just sounds plain stupid. "I was created by god" No. You were created by a sperm and an egg. If I were stranded on an island for my whole life, and eventually someone came around and told me about this "higher being that controls everything that happens on Earth" I would be like :XD: .

So no, I don't believe in this "God".

[...]

You're about 14, correct? Got a Christian background?

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

I am 14, yes. I guess I have a Christian background, never been to church. (except for weddings and such)

Heh, totally random guess ::' . You've got quite the rebellious attitude. I had that exact same opinion at that age :P .

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

I am 14, yes. I guess I have a Christian background, never been to church. (except for weddings and such)

Heh, totally random guess ::' . You've got quite the rebellious attitude. I had that exact same opinion at that age :P .

I'm actually not rebellious at all, just think that god is BIG pile of .

I believe that a lot of the Bible is metaphorical, and I believe that some of it was also historical documentation (something like that) that was true. I also find the idea that a god playing a role in Christianity might just be a way for followers to stay hooked. But I'm not sure. I do think I believe, however, that a god won't damn his people if they live good, virtuous lives. Therefore, I don't think you actually need to believe in a god to go to heaven. I think the actual worship part of the religion is irrelevant.

I am an Agnostic. I do think I believe that there is some sort of spirituality system in our world, whether it just be nature or something to do with cosmos or heaven or just plain reincarnation.

To all the people criticising the Bible, Qur'an, Torah, the Veda etc...

Remember those are man-written books. Just because in those tales God supposedly did this or that doesn't mean a God (if one were to exist) is really genocidal and causes floods and diseases.

To believe a person has communicated with God or that some text is "divine" is up to your blind faith. Personally, I see that as completely irrational. People who belong to big religions only see them as "divine" because there are many other people who think it is "divine", including their parents who have told them so since their childhood.

I haven't met many people in real life who studied and compared religions and came to a conclusion and started worshipping a certain god/gods.

Personally the eastern religions seem the most humane and peaceful, with some eastern monks of varying faiths even going to great lenghts to ensure they don't kill any living creatures while being alive, living an ascetic life with only the barely essential materials etc. (Then again, those are mostly philosophic codes, not cults demanding you worship God X or face eternal burning in a pit of deep-voiced laughing remons)

People who belong to big religions only see them as "divine" because there are many other people who think it is "divine", including their parents who have told them so since their childhood.

Seems like you're making quite an assumption there.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

People who belong to big religions only see them as "divine" because there are many other people who think it is "divine", including their parents who have told them so since their childhood.

Seems like you're making quite an assumption there.

I edited my post to cater to the probable exemptions of that... It would be interesting to hear how you came to follow your religion not including peer pressure at school/friends/parents.

Yes I'm aware some people voluntarily pick up religions or convert, but that's a fraction % of the followers of the world's main religions. Every religious person I personally know in real life had/have parents who were religious as well.

I don't have any doubts about the fact (for me) that there is no God at all.

1) Where the hell would he be? Floating in an invisible space?

2) Everything can be proven by sience, no need to say "God" made those thigns.

3) There are no such things as faith, or afterlife, if you die it's the same as before you were born, nothing, your body is there, but your mind isn't. Just like turning off your computer, it's gone!

This is all my own opinion, so no need to flame this! :)

Clanleader of the Guardians Of Fate.

gof-sig.gif

It's not God's fault that there are people suffering in the world. The path of suffering and evil was chosen long ago by Adam and Eve. We should be thankful that God is merciful and wants to restore the world.

untitledyw7.png