Due to the significant updates that have taken place, you now need to login with your display name or e-mail address, NOT your login name. ×
Due to posts that are 5+ years old being rebuilt, some of the older BBCodes may not have converted properly but still be in the post. Most posts are unaffected but some using what was our custom BBCode (like [spoiler]) will be a bit broken. ×
pryomancer

Journalists

Well I hope to be a journalist when I leave university (still currently at college), and I was wondering...

a lot of journalists get stick for their job, what are your views?

Tabloid/broadsheet journalists?

Paparazzi?

Favourite newspapers?

Favourite type of journalism?

Favourite journalist?

Do you think that good grammar and spelling is important in life?

spacescenev24.jpg

It's a decent job, it suited superman fine.

A friend to all is a friend to none.

Journalism and Paparrazi are two completely different things. Well, maybe they're not, but Paparrazi, on the whole, are scum, journalists are not.

I wanted to be a journalist when I left school but I decided to chase music instead. There are review writers, news reporters, article writers, fair critics - those are the journalists that I have respect for. Paparazzi, however, prey on people and make their lives hard by shoving their personal life into the public eye. I have no respect for them whatsoever - photographers yes, as in those who take pictures of celebrities on the red carpet at the brit awards - but paparrazi, no.

logo.jpg

I agree, but you know you can get like ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã10000 for a top photo of a big celebrity?

I was thinking of going into magazine journalism, specifically video games.

Good idea? It'd be my dream job pretty much.

spacescenev24.jpg

I read the HBL (HufvudstadsBladet), a Finnish-Swedish newspaper in Finland.

The Helsingin Sanomat is complete junk, even though they have daily papers 80 pages long.

I think radio journalism would be fun.

C2b6gs7.png

I currently am part of the radio team in my college, and we make live shows every Friday.

I think alot of people don't understand how much work goes into producing a radio programme.

spacescenev24.jpg

Well I hope to be a journalist when I leave university (still currently at college), and I was wondering...

alot of journalists get stick for their job, what are your views?

Paparazzi?

Favourite newspapers?

Favourite journalist?

Couldn't pass this up.

mcchrissigaw8.gif

Everybody lovin' it, but ain't no body touchin' it

I was lucky enough to be able to work with a few editors from the Time Out magazine in London. Here's a few things I've learnt off one of the editors:

Grammar is extremely important to be a successful journalist. Companies wouldn't accept someone who can't even go back and check their mistakes.

Deadlines! For Time Out, the magazine is released every Tuesday and your articles needs to be done and subbed way before that.

There's a lot more, but I can't dig them out of the back of my brain at the moment. Journalism is quite an interesting career. Gives you the oppurtunity to meet new people, write what you think, express your emotions etc...

I'm gonna do a bit of advertising here :3 Dec 19, Christmas Edition of Time Out London is out! Check it out, there should be a poster in there that has a drawing of me O.o

Ultra Unholy,

Hearted Machine...

The Helsingin Sanomat is complete junk, even though they have daily papers 80 pages long.

Never read HufvudstadsBlated. But Helsingin-Sanomat complete junk? In my opinion it's the most best, biggest and largest paper in Finland. I'd understand if you said Ilta-Sanomat is complete junk.. But Helsingin-Sanomat? :-k I just can't agree with that.

Journalism seems like a nice job, what kind of school do you have to take to become one?

No. But it is if you want to become a journalist. ( I think, well atleast so some point. )

Reality is hundreds of times more beautiful and more interesting than delusions. Fairy tales just tend to be easier to follow than the wonderful intricacies of life.

Never read HufvudstadsBlated. But Helsingin-Sanomat complete junk? In my opinion it's the most best, biggest and largest paper in Finland. I'd understand if you said Ilta-Sanomat is complete junk.. But Helsingin-Sanomat? :-k I just can't agree with that.

Largest, yes. Most pointful, no. The Hesari is just another product of Finnish nationalism, as was the YLE ordeal (Kicking out X3M, which is unlikely to happen, thanks to the petition. I'm number 10444 :) ) The HBL, however, is entirely in (FINNISH-)Swedish and therefore kicks butt. And also, half of each issue is just ads. (in the Hesari).

C2b6gs7.png

good Morning, Vietnaaaaam!!!

Seriously, that sounds totally awesome.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

As long as you don't report biased bs like most journalists do, your good. ::'

Largest, yes. Most pointful, no. The Hesari is just another product of Finnish nationalism, as was the YLE ordeal (Kicking out X3M, which is unlikely to happen, thanks to the petition. I'm number 10444 :) ) The HBL, however, is entirely in (FINNISH-)Swedish and therefore kicks butt. And also, half of each issue is just ads. (in the Hesari).

From what I remember the "Hesari" isn't really nationalistic at all, and I've read it just a few months ago thanks to a friend who had finnish newspapers (yes I can read them thanks to my mother's side of family, as well as swedish)... :?

The reporting is very professional and objective, and it has dedicated space for public opinions. The editors didn't seem to have an agenda either... It's exactly what I'd expected from the NY times or the online BBC etc.. Admittedly it has tons of ads though.

Unlike american/british newspapers screaming with big headlines of current events, the Helsingin Sanomat (news of Helsinki) has it's first page covered 100% with ads.. :lol:

Scum of the earth [cabbage] [bleep]s.

iteme3721.jpg

Do you think all journalists who do that want to? Or do you not think some are pressured to publish what the editor wants.

Some maybe get pressured into doing it, but you would think most of them would quit if that happened to them. Whoever writes it, most of the stuff in papers is as i said in my prior post.

I don't like these guys much. They seem to blow things out of proportion quite a bit..at least from what I've glanced through out of boredom.

Paparazzi?

Nope. They stalk someone just to get photos and info and make their life public? I could care less that Paris Hilton's going to jail..might do her some good.

Favourite newspapers?

I don't really read many news papers..as long as it has news, I really dont care.

Probably someone that would write reviews in a gaming magazine. I find writing reviews kind of interesting.

Favourite journalist?

No preference...probably anyone who writes a great article.

heck yeah. I know this isn't right, but I tend to view someone with bad spelling as stupid. I cant help it...my friend can't spell worth anything and he's pretty much as smart as I am. Grammar isn't as important..I could care less about it..as long as t isn't the following:

"Ima gonner go down over to Danny's place and we's is gonner play the Wii til mornin"

...I know people who talk like that O.O

The+Adaminator.png

69827172ou0.jpg

As long as it is worth while journalism. Reporting news of strife in countires, doing something worth while, trying to change the world. Rather then following Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie around.

As far as I am concerned the papperazi can eat [cabbage] and die, I hate 'em.

ledzeppelin1jl6.jpg

Do you think all journalists who do that want to? Or do you not think some are pressured to publish what the editor wants.

Some maybe get pressured into doing it, but you would think most of them would quit if that happened to them.

It's a job though, being a journalist is what puts food on their table at the end of the day and if they quit for something like that they would find it difficult to find work elsewhere as well. What editor would want to employ a person who refuses to do what his editor asks?

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

good Morning, Vietnaaaaam!!!

Seriously, that sounds totally awesome.

Move to my town, they have a college herer where they got their own radio station, it airs all over the town :lol:

on topic: Almost every journalist are scumbags. Atleast here in sweden, i mean... Whenever i read Aftonbladet or Expressen (the 2 biggest "newspapers") i always read about Natacha Peyre's new boob job, Lasse Kron̮̩̉̉rs new mistress, [cabbage] that fit in a gossip magazine, not a freaking NEWSPAPER!

Thank god for local newspapers, DN and TT.

tifsbti6oi.gif

I don't have a favourite newspaper, more on the articles. I generally like to read Sport and technology reviews. But I also like more light-hearted things. In particular my favourite writer is Charlie Brooker. He isn't a normal kind of journalist, but he writes articles for The Guardian about different subjects, some to do with TV others are completely random...like Scrabble. They are supposed to be humourus which is a good thing.

I want to work in the Media, which will most likely lead me into journalism in gadgets/technology including video games or computers.

Retired 8th October 2007 | 99 Fishing | 99 Cooking | Owner of a Red Mask and 2 Santa Hats |