I Have the Right to Remain Silent

qeltar

This is exactly why I'm taking a break from RS. I guess I'll come back when the bot problem dies down if that ever happens. But on topic if a lvl3 dosen't talk chances are they are a bot but if a lvl100 dosen't talk it means they got something better to do then stare at thier screen while they play.

Get me a whopper!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL your article just sparked a memory, one time i was skilling on my pure and i didnt want to talk to anyone, all those fake mods were asking me questions like if im not a autoer say blah blah i dont remember tht much,

but then they reported me for no reason. just cauze im lv 10 with 80 wcin and mineing lmao.. 100 points to qeltar \' \'

They reported you for no reason :-s I would think the fact that they asked you multiple times if your an autoer and you didn't respond is reason enough, but you no what, I will just no longer report macros because they could just be people like you who decided I won't respond to them asking me questions because its so hard to type four words.

Also, I have no problem with skillers or turning public chat off, but if your a level 3 with a crazy name of random numbers and letters, whos doing and often macroed skill, you're going to have to respond to some questions and thats just how its going to be, the entire Runescape world shouldn't have to change just because you don't want to press down some keys. And really if all you guys think its too bothersome to type out a sentence or two, what are you doing on a forum?

P.S. I don't just report people based on if they respond or not to public chat, I have my own system which is close to fool proof, I'm just so upset because I think that all the people who think they shouldn't have to respond to questions even if they're asking you if your a macro are just being unreasonable. Also Jagex can't educate people about macros, or the best way to report them because then macros will easily be able to avoid it.

"Nothing in life is permanent, not even our troubles."-Charlie Chaplin.

userbarunorbv1.png

They reported you for no reason :-s I would think the fact that they asked you multiple times if your an autoer and you didn't respond is reason enough, but you no what, I will just no longer report macros because they could just be people like you who decided I won't respond to them asking me questions because its so hard to type four words.

Also, I have no problem with skillers or turning public chat off, but if your a level 3 with a crazy name of random numbers and letters, whos doing and often macroed skill, you're going to have to respond to some questions and thats just how its going to be, the entire Runescape world shouldn't have to change just because you don't want to press down some keys. And really if all you guys think its too bothersome to type out a sentence or two, what are you doing on a forum?

I shouldn't have to be obligated to talk just because some moron thinks I might be autoing.

I'm just so upset because I think that all the people who think they shouldn't have to respond to questions even if they're asking you if your a macro are just being unreasonable.

We shouldn't HAVE to respond.. see thats what you don't seem to understand. I don't want to respond, to some moron, because he thinks I'm a bot. Honestly if I'm out in a random yew tree with no clothes on and a rune WC axe, that would be one thing, but for the most part I've got a skill cape on and I'm in SHILO village. Thats when you know that it has gotten out of hand.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable for not wanting to respond to the mindless babble of "omg bot". I'd rather someone just shut up and report me before talking and trying to "make sure I'm a bot", because I'm not macroing so I know I'm not going to be banned.

The main reason I don't respond at all is because 9 times out of 10, it leads to other questions that actually do take up my time, or someone who doesn't believe me. I actually had a moron believing that I was a bot until a moderator came, because I started talking in public when he showed up. The real story was I am friends with the moderator and he wanted to come see the idiocy.

And to the people, who are like "it doesn't matter their level or what they look like they could be macroing":

That's true, but the random level 100 who thinks he will be slick and macro a part of the game, isn't the type of bot ruining the game. He will most likely be caught anyway because he's actually macroing.. It is the gold farmers that are ruining the game, and those are real people not bots.

Lots of players in RuneScape are very stereotypical. You also make a very good point, Jagex has never taught us how to distinguish a real, honest player from a cheating auto/macro program.

There are players who play on RuneScape who do not have English as a first language.

I reckon this thread will provoke alot of discussion, with the very good points you made.

~Little~

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

another correct-yet over-strached article(sorry but i got tired in the middle)

I usually stay away from crowded areas yet few days ago i got "cought" botting at the abberants on a slayer task (didnt feel like answering the usuall "level questions").

Ye,it seems this trend is getting bigger.

I personally, find it hysterically funny to see the reactions of the idiots in RS when, after ignoring their :

"Oi! lvl100? [skill] lvl?" or " fr33 s700f pl0x?" or "i got haxxored. need money"

for 30 minutes or more, I suddenly respond to someone speaking proper (or approximately to allow for none-native-speakers of) and enter a discussion :thumbsup:

I've reported a few people I've suspected of macroing, but they were mainly the ones speaking 5 lines a second in VERY BUSY places. You know for certain that those people are using an "auto-talker" and so can safely report them for it. The trouble is, I've seen the same people in the same place doing the same lines, for weeks....so either Jagex have all but given up on this form of botting, or there are so many spurious reports they've not had chance to get to mine yet.

It's probably both #-o

Of those who say nothing, few are silent -=Thomas Neil =-

I think this whole jumping to conclusion of someone being a bot is ridiculous. I myself don't often talk to people, sometimes because I am busy with something but often because I am simply not a talkative person. For someone to call me a bot because of this doesn't seem fair at all.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

Sure, I wannabe a mod, but just because someone is silent do you report? No.. sometimes I get fed up with spammers, advertising bots, ect and turn off public chat.

People who wanna be a mod should know better.. acting like that is going to make your chances worse.

We shouldn't HAVE to respond.. see thats what you don't seem to understand. I don't want to respond, to some moron, because he thinks I'm a bot. Honestly if I'm out in a random yew tree with no clothes on and a rune WC axe, that would be one thing, but for the most part I've got a skill cape on and I'm in SHILO village. Thats when you know that it has gotten out of hand.

Thats exactly what I was saying, that level 123s with skill capes on probably shouldn't be obligated to talk but if you're a level 5, with a crazy name, chopping yews, you shouldn't be mad when people suspect you of botting or macroing. But really I don't understand what you have against talking, just saying 1 or 2 lines then stop talking, I don't think thats too outrageous.

"Nothing in life is permanent, not even our troubles."-Charlie Chaplin.

userbarunorbv1.png

In my opinion, if a level 3 has all the standard clothes on, NO armour/shirts/capes/... and some strange name ('Zrez34729', Tjslq9838', ...) and is in a spot that you can access w/o doin' any quests (except for Ess mines) it's a big chance it's a bot...

But then again, you're never sure... :|

I think your encouraging a bad idea. If you want to be silent, then brush off the comments. However, I will continue to report anyone who does not engage in conversation with me while doing a task that is easily botted, especially if they have a low combat level. Of course I am going to report some people who really aren't bots, but hopefully I get a few bots banned.

and this is the attitude that pisses people off, while doing certain tasks such as spinning and bow making i do not think that i should have to engage in conversation with anyone that I do not want to..

i myself hopefully dotn have to worry about being banned as being a bot..5 yrs of gameplay and only lvl 107-- they look at that and the accusation of being a bot and prolly just laugh

qoute : We shouldn't HAVE to respond.. see thats what you don't seem to understand. I don't want to respond, to some moron, because he thinks I'm a bot. Honestly if I'm out in a random yew tree with no clothes on and a rune WC axe, that would be one thing, but for the most part I've got a skill cape on and I'm in SHILO village. Thats when you know that it has gotten out of hand. <<<<< agreed

justin500.png[spoiler=Goals.]justin500.png

justin500.png

justin500.png

[/url]

[spoiler=99's]99 strength achieved 5/27/09.

99 hitpoints achieved 9/30/09.(59,643)

99 attack achieved 11/08/09. (77,453)

99 defence achieved 1/31/10. (63,382)

99 range achieved ( sometime ago )

[spoiler=Drops]

x15 whips

x53 d boots

x3 visages

x88 g mauls

Meh I will continue to report those people. Why? am I some creepy jerk who enjoys tormenting you? no, I just really really hate bots. Furthermore, I still don't understand why you just don't leave public on? Is the mindless chatter of noobs really THAT bothersome?(personally I just ignore them.)

Since you don't even rank in any highscores I don't think you have a right to say that ignoring noobs is easy.

As a high level player one gets TONS of noob requests that it actually impedes gameplay.

Earn the right, then you can flame us.

Meh I will continue to report those people. Why? am I some creepy jerk who enjoys tormenting you? no, I just really really hate bots. Furthermore, I still don't understand why you just don't leave public on? Is the mindless chatter of noobs really THAT bothersome?(personally I just ignore them.)

Since you don't even rank in any highscores I don't think you have a right to say that ignoring noobs is easy.

As a high level player one gets TONS of noob requests that it actually impedes gameplay.

Earn the right, then you can flame us.

+1

Some days I have to take off my quest cape. :ohnoes:

for people who want to be able to play silently, you're awfully verbose

We don't want to play in silence, we want to play while talking to intelligent people and our friends, not noobs. Learn the difference before you post snappy comments.

Thats exactly what I was saying, that level 123s with skill capes on probably shouldn't be obligated to talk but if you're a level 5, with a crazy name, chopping yews, you shouldn't be mad when people suspect you of botting or macroing. But really I don't understand what you have against talking, just saying 1 or 2 lines then stop talking, I don't think thats too outrageous.

No it's not outrageous, but that's not the point. That's like if you have to twist a doorknob a strange way to open the door, it's not outrageous or hard to do, it is just aggravating.

It's also not as though one person a day calls me a bot, it's more like one in every three people that pass by.

Yeah , I love to stay silent while skilling

but i say things periodically though

Reason:

*me hunting peacefully*

*spot stealer comes tries to steal spot*

*me keeping at my same spot even after decreased xp rate*

Spot Stealer: Omg you hunter bot u botz gtho nub reported

Me:???

Spot Stealer : Gf nice autotalker

#-o

lmao1nu3.jpg

The change in attitude over this is rather interesting. A year or 2 ago when I said "I don't have to answer anyone" most seemed to think that was rude. That you should respond to people talking to you and instead there were more complaints on players that supposedly thought they were too good to take time to talk to others. That led me to wonder about the other side of it. If someone says something to you outside of the game isn't it considered very rude not to answer? Why is it not rude on rs? Now the majority appears to be of the opinion that they have no obligation to answer anyone for any reason. I wonder where such a strong change came from. Just the increase in more annoying players?

It would be great if rs went back to only showing combat levels in necessary areas like the wild. Then those people who base everything off combat might have to rethink things. You do have to remember though that there were a few good reasons those little numbers started to appear but I'm not sure whether most of them still apply as much as they did then. Dueling anytime anywhere was done away with and that was a main purpose for showing combat levels. The other main one mentioned at the time was to make finding appropriate trading partners easier. With the changes in trade, particularly the most recent, and a more reliable highscores table in use now it seems pointless to me to have everyone run around with any of their stats showing constantly in game. If your curious or think someone is lying you can always just put the person's name in the highscores. I would hope anyone frequently reporting bots would at least check out the players levels that way and take it into consideration along with other things before carelessly sending off reports.

Qeltar I absolutely love your discussions. They are not only grammatically perfect in most ways, but they are also clear and precise.

Yet another good read. My favorite, and probably most SHARED opinion:

I have the right to turn public chat off if I want to. And when I end up in places overloaded with childish players spamming the chat box and acting like fools, I definitely want to.

Pathetically true in every way. I find myself turning private chat off more and more. I recently purchased 5,000 iron bars to get my smithing up a few levels. Before I could even get 500 bars smithed I was wanting to beat my head against the keyboard from the absolute nonsense that was going on around me. People are either arguing, picking on each other, using the oh-so-common "noob" insult, or begging for things. I find that if I am ever training in an area that is somewhat crowded (like smithing @ Varrock, or in the mining guild, or training combat where there are a lot of people) I end up turning my chat to friends or off all together.

100% agree with you Qeltar. Another good read. Please keep them coming =D> .

RS Name: Zibl || Click Signature for my RS Life Story!

ziblretieredwarriorchicpc7.jpg

[ 87 Combat ] [ 1240 Total ] [ Ex-RSC Professional Merchant ]

12.20.01 - 10.5.05 || Status: Retired

Total losses in 5 years = just over 630 million gp (BILLIONS in today's prices)

Very true, i sometimes stay concentrated to the game while doing some boring things like wcing and fishing if there are many people around to keep my self "looking-human" because you never know when one of them will ask a "fishing lv?" or "what you guys doin?" or something else along those lines. really its just a nuisance.

I do agree though that many players go around with the sole intent of getting some one banned due to macroing or auto-doing something.

99 Fletching 99 Attack 99 Constitution 99 Cooking 99 Strength

Gamertag: H8tebringer

h8tebringer-siggy-bloodskull-1.jpg

Good article, I personally am almost always skilling without talking and even when people talk to me I usually don't answer right away(I'm usually browsing the forums or something) and sometimes I just don't feel like talking to people.

But I don't find that people call me a macro much, they usually just say "He's a lvl 100, they never talk." or something along those lines.

EDIT - Signature far exceeds our sig limits but since it's so colourful you can keep it.