The Guide to Speed Training - Skeletons, Yaks & More!

Niall_Kay

The Guide to Speed Training - Skeletons, Yaks & More!

Guide written by Niall Kay

Table of Contents

SECTION A - Skeletons

Section 1: Introduction

Section 2: About the Giant Skeletons

Section 3: Requirements & Recommendations

Section 4: Equipment & Inventory

Section 5: Excalibur & Salve Amulet (e)

Section 6: Spot Switching

SECTION B - Yaks

Section 2: About the Yaks

SECTION C - Monkey Guards

Section 2: About the Monkey Guards

Section 5: "Dharoking"

SECTION D = Bandits

COMING SOON - ALONG WITH MONKEY GUARD UPDATE

[hide=Section A - Giant Skeletons]SECTION A - Giant Skeletons

These Skeletons are considered one of the best training spots in Runescape for several reasons. Aside from Pest Control, they are probably the fastest monsters to train on, and are even faster than the infamous Bandits. This spot is more well known now than it used to be, but it is still a lot easier to find an empty world here than the Bandits. They are located in Damis' Lair, north of Ardougne. You must be wearing your Ring of Visibility to see the ladder which leads to the Lair. The exact location is pictured below:

aV1lur1A.jpg

Section 2: About Giant Skeletons

The Giant Skeletons are level 80 with 70 HP, but they are very easy to kill with your Salve Amulet on. There are only two Skeletons in each of the spots, and the areas are not multi combat. I consider this a good thing because it stops others from taking your spot, and it also stops you from taking a lot of damage. As soon as you kill one Skeleton, the next one attacks you. Since it isn't multi combat, I wouldn't suggest bringing a cannon, or any type of Range gear for that matter. These Skeletons are truly a dream come true for all you looking to train melee, they are one of the fastest and most unpopulated training spots in all of Runescape.

aV1lyb_9.jpg

The Skeletons aren't necessarily known for their fantastic drops, but they are home to a couple. The first notable drop is a Level 2 Clue. These clues are easy to complete and can lead to rewards such as trimmed Adamant Armour, Wizard and Ranger boots, God pages, etc. It is recommended if you get one of these as a drop that you complete it. Other drops worth mentioning include: Half keys, uncut gems (common), Dragon Shield Left Half (rare), and Dragon spears.

Requirements:

First of all, you need to have completed the Desert Treasure Quest, up to the part where you get the ability to enter Damis' Lair.

Secondly, you will need a good set of armour, Rune or above at a minimum. This is to be able to withstand taking too much damage from the skeletons.

And Finally, the last requirement is that you will need to have the Ring of Visibility equipped to be able to see the ladder down to the lair. If you do have the ring equipped and are in the correct spot, then you will be able to see the ladder. It will look like this:

aV1lBNZ9.jpg

Recommendations

Completed Merlin's Crystal Quest, to be able to use the Exalibur and its Special.

Completed Haunted Mine Quest, to be able to use the Salve Amulet.

Completed Tarn's Lair, for the Salve Amulet (e)

95+ Combat

68+ Summoning (Bunyip)

Here is what i personally wear when going to the Giant Skeletons:

wiw.jpg

My Equipment set-up allows me to have a high strength bonus, with a still very amount of defence bonus. At 85 defence, i can last for a good amount of experience in one trip.

Here is what i take in my inventory:

wit.jpg

My inventory contains my DDS, super attack and strength potions, a summoning potion, two Bunyip Pouches and lots of food. You may want to replace food with Guthan's armor if you can afford it, but food works just as good. An Abyssal Whip is optional, any Dragon weapon will do great. For maximum experience per hour it is recommended you bring Attack and Strength potions, but it is not mandatory you do so. The estimated experience per hour at this location is anywhere from 40k-80k per hour, depending on if you use potions or not, and your combat levels.

Section 5: Excalibur and Salve Amulet (e)

The Excalibur sword is recommended because it will increase your Defence level slightly more than a Defence Potion. It is extremely useful because the monsters will hit you less whilst saving money on defence potions. It can be obtained by completing the Merlin's Crystal quest.

The Slave Amulet is almost a must have for training on these Skeletons. Wearing this amulet gives +15% Strength and Attack bonuses against the undead (the equivalent of having the Ultimate Strength and Incredible Reflexes prayers on). The amulet is obtained upon completion of the Haunted Mine quest. If you have completed Tarn's Lair and converted the Salve Amulet to the Salve Amulet (e), then wearing this amulet will give +20% Strength and Attack bonuses against the undead.

Section 6: Spot Switching

While these Skeletons probably do seem like a perfect training location, they do have a downside. About every 15 minutes (exact time unknown), the Skeletons will stop auto-attacking you. To fix this, you must change spots and run to the other Skeletons. Pictured below are the two spots you should be using to train:

aV1lNGh0.jpg

When the Skeletons stop auto attacking you at spot 1, run to spot 2 (and visa versa). Also, if you are at the first spot closest to the ladder, it is possible to make them aggresive again by simply going up and down the ladder.[/hide]

[hide=Section B - Yaks]SECTION B - Yaks

Even though Yaks are a fairly new addition to runescape, with the addition of the quest "The Fremennik Isles", they are already considered one of the few rare places to train combat rapidly. Yaks are located in a small pen on the island of Neitiznot near the dock, and are becoming more and more popular for a training location. Their exact location is pictured below:

ymlol.jpg

Section 2: About Yaks

Yaks are level 22 and have 50hp, making them extremely easy to kill. There are a total of 6 yaks in the yak pen, and each yak has a very short respawn time, meaning that you will never be waiting for a respawn unless there are 3+ people there. Yaks are not agressive so you will have to manually click each yak.

yakrofl.jpg

They have no drops apart from 100% drops, which are: Yak hair, Yak meat, Yak hide and Bones.

Yak hide can be "cured" (5gp per hide) so it can be crafted into Yak hide armour. It is level 43 crafting to make Yak hide legs (1 cured hide, 32 crafting xp) and level 46 crafting to make Yak hide tops (2 cured hides, 32 crafting xp). Yak hair can be spun at a spinning wheel to make ropes (25 crafting xp). Yak hides are also used in summoning, in particular for the Pack Yak. If you are planning to be making Pack Yaks for summoning, then it may be good for you to collect them. A bank is a very short distance away from the pen, so it isn't exactly difficult.

Requirements:

There are only two real requirements to be able to kill yaks, and they are both quest requirements. It is manditory to complete the quest Fremennik Trials and at least begin Fremennik Isles to be able to reach Neitiznot and the yaks.

Reccomendations:

High Strength Bonus gear, no need for defence with yaks.

Super attack and Strength Potions, Speed up training.

Here is what i personally wear when going to the Yaks:

wiw2.jpg

My Equipment set-up allows me to have a high strength bonus, with a still very amount of defence bonus in case of random attacks, although defence is not needed.

Here is what i take in my inventory:

yakinv.jpg

My inventory contains my DDS, many super attack and strength potions, and some emergency food, which in all honesty you shoould not need. An Abyssal Whip is optional, any Dragon weapon will do great. For maximum experience per hour it is recommended you bring Attack and Strength potions, but it is not mandatory you do so. The estimated experience per hour at this location is anywhere from 40k-80k per hour, depending on if you use potions or not, and your combat levels.[/hide]

[hide=Section C - Monkey Guards]SECTION C - Monkey Guards

Many players have always dreamed of training spots that require no food, places that you can stay at for extended periods of time, just gaining experience. Well, thanks to Jagex, this such spot has been created once the quest Monkey Madness has been completed in the form of Monkey Guards. Their exact location is pictured below:

apemap.jpg

Section 2: About Monkey Guards

Monkey Guards live in on the ground floor and second floor of Ape Atoll's temple. They have a large amount of health and throw vicious punches that can hit up to 18. When they have very low health, they will beat their chest, causing them to heal about 20% of their hitpoints.

monkeyyyy.jpg

There are two kinds of Monkey Guards: the ones with a beard and the ones without a beard. While both Monkey Guards have the same stats, you cannot run through the Monkey Guards with beards, causing them to be a nuisance when they are blocking the ladder to the second floor or the altar.

Requirements:

First of all, you need to have at least completed the Monkey Madness Quest, up to the part where you get the ability to use a monkey gree gree.

Secondly, you will need a good set of prayer boosting or high strength armour, Initiate or above at a minimum. This is to be able to have an extended time without using the altar, or to have a very high strength bonus to get the most experience out of your hits. This is also one of the most effective spots to "Dharok", which uses the Dharok's barrows armour.

Thirdly, at least 60+ Attack and Strength are needed in order to acheive a good amount of experience, as better experience can be gained elsewhere at lower levels.

Also, 43 Prayer is a must.

Reccomendations:

A high prayer level, in order to use high strength bonus gear rather than prayer boosting gear.

80+ Attack and Strength, with super attack and strength potions.

Completed King's Ransom, for the Piety prayer.

Here is what i personally wear when going to the Monkey Guards:

wiw2.jpg

My Equipment set-up allows me to have a high strength bonus, with a still decent amount of prayer bonus. At 71 prayer, i can last for a good amount of prayer using peity without having to recharge my prayer every 10 seconds.

monkinv.jpg

My inventory contains my super attack and strength potions, anti poison potions and a small amount of food. You may want to replace food with more anti poisons if you do not think that you will accidentally be hurt too much. An Abyssal Whip is optional, any Dragon weapon will do great. For maximum experience per hour it is recommended you bring Attack and Strength potions, but it is not mandatory you do so. The estimated experience per hour at this location is anywhere from 40k-60k per hour on average, depending on if you use potions or not, and your combat levels although i have personally achieved higher. The reason i do not bring a DDS at this locations is that poisoning will occasionally kill the monkey, which isn't the goal at this location, as more experience can be achieved by fighting the same monkey for extended periods due to its healing ability.

Section 5: "Dharoking"

"Dharoking" is the term used when training with the use of the Dharok the Wretched's Barrows Armour set. In order to take advantage of the set, the user must have as little HP as possible, in order to maximize the strength boost from using the full set. Here is what my set-up is when "Dharoking":

monkdh.jpg

"Dharoking" is frequently used at the Monkey Guards, and is known as one of the best places to use it for training, due to the virtually infinite prayer and the high HP and healing abilities of the Monkeys.

monkinv.jpg

The Inventory when "Dharoking" is exactly the same, but having the extra food is almost essential, as having extremely low HP levels, even one mistake could possibly lead to death.

I reccomend not having any less than 20 HP when dharoking here, and bringing sharks, then if you accidentally forget to recharge prayer it is easy to compensate for the loss in HP.[/hide]

[hide=Section D - Bandits]SECTION D - Bandits

COMING SOON[/hide]

Have fun, and I hope you enjoyed my very first guide. These were once very secret locations for only high levels to train especially the DT skeletons, and are still fairly uncrowded, so "get it while it's hot". Please post or PM me any thoughts, concerns, recommendations, questions, or corrections about my guide. If you have read to here, please post. :D

sugggggeh-2.jpg

Niall_Kay.png

99 Fletching | 99 Hunter | 99 Magic | Master of Quests

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice guide for the begginers, but I would not come here without guthans. Running back and forth is very annoying, and cane take up to 5 min. Bandits are slightly more exp per hour than these guys, but here its always empty.

DO NOT recommend AFKing. you even admitted its agenst the rules

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

Don't worry, I'm not and do not recommend AFKing, thats why i stated that it was against the rules. I put that AFKing is possible to inform people, not to recommend them to do it.

I repeat, AFKing is against the rules. I do not recommend that you do this.

sugggggeh-2.jpg

Niall_Kay.png

Wehrmacht, I'll try and get a few more pics, maybe of fighting the skeletons, and a map showing the route to his lair. Any other pic suggestions or any other suggestions at all and i will be grateful. :D

Napalm_Death, Glad i could help :lol:

sugggggeh-2.jpg

Niall_Kay.png

BTW. You should bring another combat ring(from Dks). Also, you CAN just go up and down the ladder to make them re-aggressive

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

T_Millard, The amount of exp you can get per hour is already posted at the bottom of the Equipment and Inventory section (Section 4), and it varies from combat levels and whether you use strength and attack potions (Regular/Super). The range is generally between 40k-80k p/h.

Thanks for your post :D

sugggggeh-2.jpg

Niall_Kay.png

• 2 weeks later...

Exp per hour: 40k-80k depending on current levels and whether super potions are used.

Faster than Bandits: Yes in some cases, no in others.

Faster than Slayer: Yes.

sugggggeh-2.jpg

Niall_Kay.png

You should put in the Tarn's Lair thing, allowing you to upgrade your Savle for the Salve (e) and get the 20% attack and strength.. speed it up even more.

*EDIT*

Also - put in how to get the ring once you've thrown it away?

*Second Edit*

I see you have done both of these already... great job :)

Alpha_Koldes.png

-

Man, I really do love Runescape, and I'm sure if it was a real person I would of asked it to marry me by now.

• 1 month later...
Tell you this. When you get to my combat level, try it out yourself. I don't need to provide any numbers. And it's not just spiritual mages that are very easy kills. It gets so much easier and quicker at my level. There are Dags, greater demons, fire giants, bloodvelds, infernal mages to name a few. And it's possible to 3-4hit these guys.

But we're talking about training to certain stats, not training at certain stats. If you have all 99's [or a few 99 stats], killing enemies is obviously easier. However, we're talking about training to certain high stats, not killing monsters when you have good stats, so I really don't see how that's relevant. And yes, I would actually like some numbers. I know you say you don't need them, but if you don't have any facts or figures to support your claim, then it really doesn't mean anything :|. And I'm not talking about when your 99 attack, strength, and defense. I'm talking about the average person looking to raise their stats from all 80's to all 90's and so forth. We're debating ways to train, not how fast someone kills something, remember that.

Thanks for making my point. If you had paid attention to what I said from the very beginning, I said skellies are not for the really high combat level player. Nuff said. Enjoy your

day.

aglipoy.png

The estimated experience per hour at this location is anywhere from 40k-80k per hour, depending on if you use potions or not, and your combat levels.

Yep, it's in there alright.

And i even changed it to bold, just for you. :P

I did you a favor and edited out the sarcastic comments to make you look like less of a a-hole and to try to keep it civilized Smile

Rofl, but try to keep the language clean :D

EDIT: P.S. Section 4, towards the bottom.

Fine :P, I edited it. Nice guide by the way.

happiehour.jpeg

• 4 months later...