The Ultimate GWD Guide (AOW Discussion) Updated 6-17-2008

Soma2035

Artemis, thank you VERY much. Armadyl is probably the one boss I'm least experienced with, and those tips help a lot. I'll add some of them into the guide right away.

As far as the zamorak item goes: I will mention the Verac's Helm, but otherwise I think it's best to leave that option available: You can't deny that it does make gathering kill count more flexible to say the least.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the zamorak item goes: I will mention the Verac's Helm, but otherwise I think it's best to leave that option available: You can't deny that it does make gathering kill count more flexible to say the least.

Some may find other equipment works better depending on combat level and combat stats anyway. Verac helm helps me, but my level 122 partner only uses it solo, otherwise the range bonus is more useful.

Some tips for the boss- I find that eagle eye is only worth it in solo, duo, and 3 man team fights. You eat so often that the prayer loss is not noticed. In a 3 person team, we only use it on the boss. In a team of 4+ you dont eat as often and will have to start drinking prayer to compensate. The boss goes down fast enough anyway. The same goes for range pots, I only take them in 3 person+ teams.

It is helpful to have one person stand close enough to see the bosses hp. When kree is below half that person should notify the team so they can swap to diamond bolts.

Dragon bolts work, but the spec never hits. Armadyl is probably the best boss for exp. Doing armadyl for one week straight, i have gotten 1m range exp. (about 20-30k a trip) Not bad for a boss lol.

Once again, awesome guide.

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

Hey soma, I have a question for you. (Going to refer to Graa as Bandos :) )

I duo Bandos with a friend quite often. We're still tweaking our equips for the best setups.

We do NOT do the "tank" method where one person attacks Bandos and then clicks the ground - I like you, think it's very inefficient.

I have seen different methods for what defenses are best, including having high magic defense. I have heard his ranging attack also has a magic type to - hense wanting magic defense.

Your guide however goes with extreme minimal magic, and maximum ranging.

I have been using Karils top, and either subing out K-Bottom or V-Skirt, but it seems no guides I see (especially yours), offer that as an option.

Doesn't the mage 'minion' rip through you, with no magic defense? And doesn't Bandos hit MORE with less magic defense?

Sorry if I'm unclear.

Basically; Why no magic defense and why max range. Do some people do the magic defense for the minion? Or do they believe (and you say opposite) that he has a ranged/magic attack?

And yes, anyone can reply to this, so feel free - but I'd definatly like soma's response.

Thanks in advance.

*EDIT*

I'm the one who attacks Bandos and takes the damage in our duo team, fyi.

Alpha_Koldes.png

-

Man, I really do love Runescape, and I'm sure if it was a real person I would of asked it to marry me by now.

alphakoldes, I don't think that anywhere in Soma's guide does it say for the tank to attack him and then click the ground...that would just be plain stupid since they could be adding extra damage and killing him faster.

Also, the 'tank' should focus more on range defense, because not only is Graardor's second attack a ranged one (not magic), but Sergeant Grim[bleep]e is also a minion who's attacking you while you fight Graardor. So basically, range defense protects you from Graardor and Grim[bleep]e, whereas magic only protects you from Steelwill.

P.S. - It is the people who aren't tanking that want to have higher magic defense, since they have protect from range on so the only 2 minions attacking them are Steelwill and Strongstack, and defense against Steelwill is more important than defense against Strongstack.

May the presents of our lord and savior, Santa, be with you this holiday season!

First annual Clausmas - 2009 December 25

alphakoldes, I don't think that anywhere in Soma's guide does it say for the tank to attack him and then click the ground...that would just be plain stupid since they could be adding extra damage and killing him faster.

I'm not sure if you read my post incorrectly or something, but I didn't say that Soma suggested this. I was just stating that my partner and I don't do this method. So when he replies back, has a firm understanding of the way we do it. That's all.

Thanks for the other information, though.

I was under the impression his Ranged attack was also mixed with magic.... Guess that was the wrong impression.

Alpha_Koldes.png

-

Man, I really do love Runescape, and I'm sure if it was a real person I would of asked it to marry me by now.

I'm not sure if you read my post incorrectly or something, but I didn't say that Soma suggested this. I was just stating that my partner and I don't do this method. So when he replies back, has a firm understanding of the way we do it. That's all.

Thanks for the other information, though.

I was under the impression his Ranged attack was also mixed with magic.... Guess that was the wrong impression.

The shockwave attack has nothing to do with magic except for the fact that it uses the magic failed sound effect, and creates a splash when it misses. It deals range damage and uses range defense, not magic defense.

Steelwill does do quite a bit of damage to you. However, since Graardor is attacking you the full time, range defense is more important. The minions, as mentioned, try to target whoever struck Graardor last. Since you'll be healing more during the fight than anyone else, the minions will also attack you less.

Also consider that Grim[bleep]e will be attacking you whenever Steel is, so you'll take less damage from him.

All in all, range defense seems to be more effective than magic.

I have never died at Bandos - it's fairly easy to stay alive, with or without magic defense or maxed range.

I do however want to get better at it, and definatly make it easier for myself and my partner, so I took your advice and got jacked up with ranged defense, minimal magic!

[hide=Picture of me using your tactic]

bandossomamf1.png[/hide]

[hide=The two setups that I used previously]bandosmeyr9.png

bandosme2bg6.png

[/hide]

Your method that I was using as the 'tank'. Bandos for sure hit me a lot less, but the mage was a really big pain in my butt. Not always hitting for high numbers, but hitting 7-10 quite often, it seemed to even stay on me while my partner was in full V, doing a HUGE majority of the damage.

We killed 3 or 4, and then I got a nice suprise.

Many hits right in a row, between 30-35, a combination of bandos getting lucky, and the mage staying on me.

[hide=This was the result]

bandosmedyingxe8.png[/hide]

I do agree with the fact that Bandos hits a lot less with high ranged, but it's hard for me to say that less magic defense is for the better.

I do realize this could have just been a freak accident, but I know that I don't die often, if ever, and I was chugging brews through the constant damage, and still died.

I think the method for no magic defense seems to be ONLY for someone who's taking Bandos' hits, but not swinging at him...no?

P.S. I'm not trying to take over your guide, or insult you or try to correct you or anything of that nature - I just want to find the best way possible to do it. And if your guide DOES get chosen for the AoW, I'm sure you'd want the best information possible.

Alpha_Koldes.png

-

In my opinion, it's hard to tell which method works best when only 2 people are present, because when soloing, you definately want some magic defense, so a 2 person setup could be similar to this. However, with 3+ people, range defense all the way works best.

Similarly, a godsword works very poorly when soloing Commander Zilyana, but with a team of 3+ a godsword is your best option for melee.

My advice to you would be to just try both methods (at least twice) and then stick with whichever you feel works best.

May the presents of our lord and savior, Santa, be with you this holiday season!

First annual Clausmas - 2009 December 25

very good guide. I never knew what you did in gwd, but now i know, thanks(i dont really monster hunt, im more of a skiller).

you can use black [bleep]y vambs in stead of black vambs. [bleep]y vambs have +2 strength, so if you want cheap strength bonus, for only I think(havent checked in a week) they are 6k.

Poopuidiot.gif

proud owner of a crystal bow 1/7/07 :)

my sig hates me, I cant get it to work :(

hey there once again - I really think this is a well thought out guide, so I want to put a couple more of my two cents in.

Did another run with a friend of mine tonight (same person, only two of us)

[hide=This is the setup I used tonight]bandosafterdeathiu3.png[/hide]

It worked wonders. Was a GREAT mix of Bandos not hitting me a lot, and CONSTANT splashes from the mage.

I don't know if you'd like to edit your guide when specifically talking about Duo setup versus a full team, or possibly talking about the importance of Magic defense in a small group. Another option would be to definatly test it out for yourself... but I am 100% sold on at least having half decent magic defense and good ranged.

Thanks again, and I hope you don't see this as trying to hijack your thread or tell you what to do or anything malicious like that. Just would like to help out in any way possible towards this very thorough guide.

Alpha_Koldes.png

-

hey there once again - I really think this is a well thought out guide, so I want to put a couple more of my two cents in.

Did another run with a friend of mine tonight (same person, only two of us)

[hide=This is the setup I used tonight]bandosafterdeathiu3.png[/hide]

It worked wonders. Was a GREAT mix of Bandos not hitting me a lot, and CONSTANT splashes from the mage.

I don't know if you'd like to edit your guide when specifically talking about Duo setup versus a full team, or possibly talking about the importance of Magic defense in a small group. Another option would be to definatly test it out for yourself... but I am 100% sold on at least having half decent magic defense and good ranged.

Thanks again, and I hope you don't see this as trying to hijack your thread or tell you what to do or anything malicious like that. Just would like to help out in any way possible towards this very thorough guide.

The trouble is that the tank strategy isn't meant for duo trips. If your tank doesn't attack, you're not doing enough damage to kill the boss efficiently. Unforuntately, with only one other person, your splitting the damage from the minions 50-50.

I may look into writing a guide for duo trips, but yes, I would wager that you want partial magic defense when doing duo. Although really, I'd suggest just sticking to at least 3 people. The amount of kills you get is far higher, your chances of obtaining good treasure is therefore also higher, and if something goes wrong, it's more likely someone will be able to bless your grave and such. Admittedly you do get a smaller share, but getting more kills seems to cover that.

I might take a look into duo Bandos trips, but I've tried it once in the past, and found that if you want to duo, both Armadyl and Zamorak are far better alternatives.

And yes, I'm willing to say your death was a stroke of bad luck. Your friend either ate or potted exactly as you struck another hit, and Graardor and Steel decided to combo you. This is always possible of course, but with a larger team, it's far less likely EVERYONE will stop and leave all 4 guys on you.

If you would still prefer to do duo trips, go ahead and use whatever set up works for you best. Sorry I can't really help you with that, but from my experience, it's very inefficient and therefore I've spent less time refining strategies for it.

Few words to say...

Muddy Here, I'm one of the guys that goes along with Soma for the Armadyl trips mostly. Here are my tips...

Constantly eat if all the minions are on you.

- Reason for this is last time we went, some reason, I wasn't even attacking yet all three minibirds were on me and I died pretty fast.

- My hypothesis: If one was to pit themselves in a team against all the minibosses in godwars, then Armadyl would be the most dangerous because they do not switch targets based on who hit Kree last, instead, they find someone and stick with him.

- Result: EAT like HECK when you see all of them looking at you.

An easy KC method?

- My way of getting KC is to stay right outside of the grapple pit. Be sure to wear all god items except Bandos, and pick off the level 69, 71, and the other weak one, make sure they are weakened first by the other denizens.

- As for choice of weaponary. I am very versatile when it comes to this so I would suggest one of the following and I will also rank them...(1s best 5s least suggested).

5 - Misc Bolts - This includes all non enchanted bolts, mithril enchanted or below. They may be cheap, but they will take a while to take out an Aviansie. Strongly not recommended for people who wish to preserve their prayer or hitpoints.

4 - Adamant Bolts (Ruby Enchanted) - This may be good for taking out Kree at the end, but it just doesn't deal constant damage like it's Diamond Cousin. If you really want, carry these extra.

3 - Rune Darts. - Soma used these last time, they didn't work too well I would say, But they did the trick in dealing rapid and steady damage to take out the Aviansie. But if you are planning on going after the warriors (to prevent damage), I would not advise this.

2 - Obsidian Rings ( Toktz Ul Xil I think...) - I used these to retrieve my gravestone when I died last time. I ripped the aviansie to shreds but it costed me 20 rings that broke. These are HIGHLY recommended if you can afford them due to their massive damage and decent speed.

1 - Adamant Bolts (Diamond Enchanted) - These are by far the best i have used for kill count and Kree. They can deal out a massive stream of damage due to armor piercing and they also pack quite a punch. I would suggest these for the entire trip if you have them.

*PS* I did not include Dragon Bolts or Onyx bolts because they are just too darn inaccurate on Kree and a total waste of money in my honest opinion. If you want, go ahead and try to use onyx to save your hit points, but I wouldn't suggest it.

Last Tip from me

Be a team player. If you finish your KC faster than others, help them out a tad, once they get half killed, nail it, it might help.

Kree is not a turkey. No matter what, DO NOT underestimate Kree, he has tendencies to whack real hard at sporadic intervals. Mostly due to magical attacks, keep your prayer on for range to lessen his assault. The magic attacks will still pack a punch so keep your hit points above 75%

Finally, coordination. Look out for each other, provide food when needed, and when one guy needs to go, if you only 2 men left, get out of there, You have to have at least 3 people if you are to do an efficient trip of at least 6 kills.

2jb8hf6.jpg

Great guide. Very detailed, and covers about everything.

BTW you spelt Eyrie wrong :wink:

Thanks... I went onto RS KB to make sure I had it spelled right too. <.< I mispelled it once, notice the discrepancy, and change em all wrong. ::'

An easy KC method?

- My way of getting KC is to stay right outside of the grapple pit. Be sure to wear all god items except Bandos, and pick off the level 69, 71, and the other weak one, make sure they are weakened first by the other denizens.

- As for choice of weaponary. I am very versatile when it comes to this so I would suggest one of the following and I will also rank them...(1s best 5s least suggested).

Try emerald (e) bolts, poisoning 4-5 avansie. After doing 50+ trips in 6 days, that is the fastest way.

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

9/10 =D>

10/10 would be a section on using a canon, wouldn't that be

useful :-k

I can include that now...

You go down.

You set up your cannon.

You load 30 cannon balls.

You click fire.

It shoots about 3 times, then disappears. You read "Something has attacked your cannon!"

You claim your free cannon from your warranty (head back to Nulodian for this).