Do i have a right to attack someone breaking into my house?

mixand

I can hear people around the front of my house walking around but i was just curious if i would be able to defend my self against them if they come in ,like me threatening them with a knife or attacking them if they try and get near me. (im in Australia, nsw and i just turned 15 if that changes anything.

JfvHV.png

798M9.png

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

My new site. [bETA]

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, let's assume they're robbers.. The US, I think, is the only western country where you can get away with killing a person who comes on your property. That's quite sick, would I take a human life because of a $1k TV? Heck no, but if he was armed or had a knife, I would probably shoot the offender into the leg/arm, then call an ambulance & police.

Keeping that in mind, people have numerous motivations for robbing. For example in Southern America where lots of kidnappings happen: People can be forced to bring in $30,000 to a mobster or have their family die, what is a person like that going to do, let his family die or get the money one way or another? What would you do?

Regardless of motives or scenarios, it's wrong to kill a person over items. But wounding him if he does not back down, give the items back and leave? I think that's absolutely allowed, not just legally, but it's also morally feasible. He has no right to take your possessions in the first place.

But it's pretty scary, how especially a lot of americans, defend their right to kill a human who even enters their property.

As long as it's self defense.

Robbers are generally cowards, first sight of someone home or a potential confrontation and they'll run. It's only if you think they're actually going to attack that you should strike first. Be loud, be confident, be aggressive and 9 times out of 10 they won't hang around.

Or, you know, call the police?

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

If you live in the western suburbs of Sydney. Go ahead, you shouldn't expect a knock on the door from the cops the next day, unless you've killed them.

Self defense, you can restrain them and probably kick the crap out of them a bit, but certainly not kill them, and i wouldn't recommend a knife. Try a baseball bat or something and aim for the temple. As long as you phone the police and an ambulance straight away you should be able to get away with self defense.

logo.jpg

in the uk at leaat you can use "appropriate" force to "defend" your property. attacking is a no no. a knife is a REALLY bad thing to pick up, what if the robber manages to get the knife from you? is he going to be as heasitant at stabbing you?

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

but certainly not kill them, and i wouldn't recommend a knife. Try a baseball bat or something and aim for the temple

Hitting someone in the temple with a baseball bat is going to kill them unless you are a wuss.

I had a friend who's father was killed at his own house. They think it was some guys getting initiated into some thug ghetto gang having to kill a person to become a member. It was a completely random and completely pointless murder.

I'm so glad I live in a place where if someone is breaking in my house I have the right to shoot them and not have to worry about legal consequences. Sure you don't want to go kill someone but if your life is in danger and it is a "you or them" situation at least you can protect yourself and your family without having to worry about being thrown into jail for the rest of your life.

Ambassadar.png

Your best bet is to call the police, but be ready with the blunt instrument of your choice. Just remember that you can still be charged for assault even if it's in self-defence.

If you hurt them more than they hurt you, they can bring up assualt charges.

Basically if they hurt you in any way, restrain them with less force and you are safe from the law.

Although it is quite a grey area if there is a weapon involved.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

Basically if they hurt you in any way, restrain them with less force and you are safe from the law.

That is total bullcrap(the law, not your statement ;-) ). You guys need to change your laws. That's ridiculous if you hurt someone coming in your house to possibly injure or harm you that if you hurt them in a struggle more than they get hurt you can go to jail.

Ambassadar.png

That is total bullcrap(the law, not your statement ;-) ). You guys need to change your laws. That's ridiculous if you hurt someone coming in your house to possibly injure or harm you that if you hurt them in a struggle more than they get hurt you can go to jail.

Well if they were armed I believe you can do whatever is in your power to stop them from seriously injuring someone. Unfortunately this isn't like America where if a man breaks into your house, almost anything is legal if you are under threat.

Yeah its stupid.

Its also what stops some people from helping in the case of rape. Basically if you help by hurting the attacker too much, despite it being an act of heroism, you can still be charged by the person who was commiting the rape.

However there was a group who wanted to change that and protect these step in heroes, don't know if they have been successful or not.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Its also what stops some people from helping in the case of rape. Basically if you help by hurting the attacker too much, despite it being an act of heroism, you can still be charged by the person who was commiting the rape.

Wow, that is insane they would charge a guy for helping a woman that was being raped. How on earth did junk like that become law in the first place?

Ambassadar.png

Personally, I would just ignore it. If I heared them come inside, I would go hide somewhere. I don't want to risk getting hurt. You should have contents insurance.

But if you don't, chin 'em.

iteme3721.jpg

Wow, that is insane they would charge a guy for helping a woman that was being raped. How on earth did junk like that become law in the first place?

Thing is if excess force was used, it would be classed as assualt.

Really makes you want to cry at the state of the law. Even though someone broke the law, you can still charge people with breaking the law, even if they were trying to prevent your crime.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Your right they are cowards, a few minutes ago they tried to come in but i just said go away,showed my knife and said i would call the police and they just ran away. (it was 3 teenagers)

(oh and this is very very off-topic and didn't want to start a whole new topic just for it, but i think girl gamers/geeks are extremely attractive, allot better then any other girls, smarter and allot nicer. Like when i was at Eb i was playing guitar hero 3 a girl gamer started talking to me which is really rare :anxious: #-o and instead of saying "stop playing games you nerd get a life" or something but instead she said "nice playing, mind if i have a turn after you" and smiled, sorry that's probably nothing to allot of people but that's allot to me) ... i suck :XD:

JfvHV.png

798M9.png

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

My new site. [bETA]

As long as it's self defense.

Robbers are generally cowards, first sight of someone home or a potential confrontation and they'll run. It's only if you think they're actually going to attack that you should strike first. Be loud, be confident, be aggressive and 9 times out of 10 they won't hang around.

Or, you know, call the police?

^ This is probably the best advice so far.

Unless the burglar is actually armed with a gun, something incredibly unlikely, if you wave a bat and start screaming at them they'll probably high-tail it out. Confrontation in general is something the average burglar wants to avoid; my grandfather once chased one out of the house in his underwear just by yelling and chasing the guy.

If you want to play it safe, then yeah, just hide and call the police.

chesssigtexttipitlt0.jpg

Stunning signature created by the one and only My Boggy.

Just like Columbus he gets murderous on purpose

To the OP: I'm in NSW too. For us under current legislation we have the right to use "reasonable force" in self-defence. (Like most other areas judging from the posts in this thread).

Summary of our current legislation:

If you injure or kill the intruder on your property you will need to prove that you behaved reasonably, in the sense that:

- It was necessary to use the force you used in the first place

(if the intruder realises you are home and tries to run away, but you hit him on the back of the head with a cricket bat, it was most probably not necessary to use force in the first place, as it would be difficult for you to argue self defence using that evidence)

- The force you used was proportional to the level of threat imposed by the intruder

(if after hitting him on the head with a cricket bat and he is motionless on the floor, you can't go up to the intruder and cut a nice slice in the side of his neck with a knife, as he was posing little/no threat to you at the time)

- If your actions are found reasonable and the intruder dies you are still in the clear :) (i.e. you are not just covered for injuring the intruder)

- It is understood that you would be under stress in such a situation (i.e. this is taken into account)

- As many people suggest here, it would be more in your favour (from a legal perspective) to use a blunt object (cricket bat) rather than a knife.

[my opinion] But for when your older, you have sleeping kids and a wife and there's an intruder on your property, don't think of what is reasonable and what isn't, just do whatever it takes to make sure they are 100% safe =)

lvl 58 crafting

lvl 50 firemaking

Don't use a blunt insturment, use a long heavy thing. Like a shovel or a chair. Even they would know it would hurt. I know I would run if someone ran at me with a shovel :ohnoes:

Or to be a more serious thing. Hide in a closet, when they pass....jump out and pwn em! Sneak attacks are always effictive in a 1v1 situation eh?

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

If it's something like an armed robbery, then I'd say you have the right to defend yourself with an arm, hopefully to the point of leaving the robber disabled, not dead, seeing your life is being threatened.

With burglary however, the thief normally has no intentions of physically harming anyone, so simply threatening him should suffice (at least this worked for my father). Killing to defend your possessions shouldn't be accepted by a court, as Bluelancer said. Any human life is worth more than a TV.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

Don't use a blunt insturment, use a long heavy thing. Like a shovel or a chair. Even they would know it would hurt. I know I would run if someone ran at me with a shovel :ohnoes:

Or to be a more serious thing. Hide in a closet, when they pass....jump out and pwn em! Sneak attacks are always effictive in a 1v1 situation eh?

Yeah! Or be Mcgyver (Sp?) And make an impromptu weapon out of two paperclips, a rubber band and an AK-47!

Or, like, do what the guy before said, only hang upside down from the ceiling beams, and wait for them to walk past, then lift them up and break their necks.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men