Do i have a right to attack someone breaking into my house?

mixand

What are they going to do, press charges against you for not letting them steal from you?

Ya, that'll blow over well in court.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends where you live. In Texas, you're allowed to shoot the person that's in your property.

If you want to be really sure, ask the appropriate authorities or search a law site of your location, you really don't want to base your action on something you read on a forum only :P

5637_s.gif

Pixel sigs by me.

Pixel Art

What are they going to do, press charges against you for not letting them steal your stuff?

You'd cry if you read some american court cases involving a burglar/robber winning against the defendant who was acting in self defense. Please, do not google unless you want to consume your eyes' tear channel. :cry:

What are they going to do, press charges against you for not letting them steal your stuff?

You'd cry if you read some american court cases involving a burglar/robber winning against the defendant who was acting in self defense. Please, do not google unless you want to consume your eyes' tear channel. :cry:

That's [developmentally delayed]ed o_O.

Were these people severly wounded or something? Any killed [i.e., a family member, state, etc. would press charges]? Or were they all just being morons?

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

It will usually depend on if the robber is coming toward you or if he is running. If he is coming toward you, than its your right to defend yourself, but if he is running from you and you still want him to pay for whatever it is that he has done than you will most likely get charged for the hurting him.

111-1.jpg

I don't know the law behind this, but whenever I question something, I think: What would an animal do? Or, what really seems reasonable, fair, and really, natural? If you attacked an animal's home, it would attack you back.

So, I say yes. Not kill, but attack. Killing in that situation is a bit primitive.

I don't know about Australia but they used to burn armed robbers publically where I used to live if they were caught.

Anyways, if hes just an unarmed burglar then I guess beating him with a blunt object can't hurt. If anyone threatens you or your family's life then you can do the same to that person.

dontdoublepost0yz.gif

Ok, let's assume they're robbers.. The US, I think, is the only western country where you can get away with killing a person who comes on your property. That's quite sick, would I take a human life because of a $1k TV? Heck no, but if he was armed or had a knife, I would probably shoot the offender into the leg/arm, then call an ambulance & police.

Keeping that in mind, people have numerous motivations for robbing. For example in Southern America where lots of kidnappings happen: People can be forced to bring in $30,000 to a mobster or have their family die, what is a person like that going to do, let his family die or get the money one way or another? What would you do?

Regardless of motives or scenarios, it's wrong to kill a person over items. But wounding him if he does not back down, give the items back and leave? I think that's absolutely allowed, not just legally, but it's also morally feasible. He has no right to take your possessions in the first place.

But it's pretty scary, how especially a lot of americans, defend their right to kill a human who even enters their property.

I'm sure you will be using the professional combat skills you learned in the military to wound the robber and not kill him the next time someone enters your house.

Ok, let's assume they're robbers.. The US, I think, is the only western country where you can get away with killing a person who comes on your property. That's quite sick, would I take a human life because of a $1k TV? Heck no, but if he was armed or had a knife, I would probably shoot the offender into the leg/arm, then call an ambulance & police.

Keeping that in mind, people have numerous motivations for robbing. For example in Southern America where lots of kidnappings happen: People can be forced to bring in $30,000 to a mobster or have their family die, what is a person like that going to do, let his family die or get the money one way or another? What would you do?

Regardless of motives or scenarios, it's wrong to kill a person over items. But wounding him if he does not back down, give the items back and leave? I think that's absolutely allowed, not just legally, but it's also morally feasible. He has no right to take your possessions in the first place.

But it's pretty scary, how especially a lot of americans, defend their right to kill a human who even enters their property.

If they are on your property, no.

If they enter the door and physically are *inside* your house it is completely legal to "attack" this person but please refrain from going too far.

Killing is wrong. As he said.

I can hear people around the front of my house walking around but i was just curious if i would be able to defend my self against them if they come in ,like me threatening them with a knife or attacking them if they try and get near me. (im in Australia, nsw and i just turned 15 if that changes anything.

If they break in to your house (going from when I did a bit of law 2 years ago... unless things have changed since then) it's perfectly legal to defend yourself with reasonable force. Personally I wouldn't stab someone but I'd probably knock them out cold with a cricket bat or something :lol:

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

And alas the judical system cares more for the criminal than the vitim. :roll:

Umm no. It doesnt.

Here you are only allowed to attack if you have no way out of the situation. If someone breaks into your house and you could have easily escaped from the back door but you shoot them anyways, then you can be charged. But if someone comes at you threateningly with a weapon or they just attack you and you have no means of escape than you can (and should IMO) be able to kill/injure them. You are also not allowed to attack them if they are running away from you or running out of your house.

lope6jw0.jpg

Umm no. It doesnt.

Really? Oh, boy thats funny. The criminal can SUE THE OWNER OF THE PROPERTY BECAUSE HE, THE ROBBER, CANT STEAL IT.

And don't get me talking about murders here...

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Umm no. It doesnt.

Really? Oh, boy thats funny. The criminal can SUE THE OWNER OF THE PROPERTY BECAUSE HE, THE ROBBER, CANT STEAL IT.

Umm no. Thats wrong too. A robber can only sue or bring charges on someone if the person uses unnecessary force to stop them. For example, shooting them as they run away or attacking him when you already have him restrained. Thats how it is at least in my state.

Please do get started on murders. I think it would be interesting to see how someone thinks that the judicial system favors murderers over murder victims.

lope6jw0.jpg

You can blow their heads off with a shotgun if you are extreme danger. If they came in with a knife I don't think you could, but if they had guns and were threatening you, then yes.

I have a 12 gauge shotgun in a closet in the hallway. I'm ready. I also have a real General's sword from the Marine Corps. It may be a ceremonial sword but it would do if I needed it.

If someone was in my house, with my family asleep, I would do anything to protect them. They shouldn't be there, you don't know what they're going to do. My family > everyone else. Sorry, thats just how it is. I wouldn't go as far as killing them, but I'd make them feel as though they had.

ledzeppelin1jl6.jpg

(oh and this is very very off-topic and didn't want to start a whole new topic just for it, but i think girl gamers/geeks are extremely attractive, allot better then any other girls, smarter and allot nicer. Like when i was at Eb i was playing guitar hero 3 a girl gamer started talking to me which is really rare :anxious: #-o and instead of saying "stop playing games you nerd get a life" or something but instead she said "nice playing, mind if i have a turn after you" and smiled, sorry that's probably nothing to allot of people but that's allot to me) ... i suck :XD:

WHERE, oh WHERE did you pull that from? :shock: :lol: :wall:

Shamuuu.png

Listen to the mighty words of Bloodredsword.

Tip it MGC Xbox live leader board!

Umm no. It doesnt.

Umm no. Thats wrong too. A robber can only sue or bring charges on someone if the person uses unnecessary force to stop them. For example, shooting them as they run away or attacking him when you already have him restrained. Thats how it is at least in my state.

They shouldn't even BE THERE in the first place!

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg