Good at chess?/ Try this computer

StrOwez

It is physically impossible for someone to be considered "unpredictable" on their second move, unless they did something stupid like uselessly sacrifice their queen, which would be considered more so as idiocy than anything else. There's also no way that the computer took more than twenty seconds to choose a move after your second one, so you're most likely either a) the most impatient person on the planet [who, if his standards hold for chess both off and on the computer, most likely has never completed a game in his life] or B) scared of losing and feeling the pains of ego deflation. It's most likely a combination of the two.

Seriously, play a full game; I'd like to see how far your "unpredictability" gets you, hotshot.

Nah, I'd have to side with Strowez on this one. I've played chess bots equal to the 'god-mode' level bots like Deep Blue, and like over 1 hour into the game, it can take 20+ seconds for the computer to make a single move, maybe even more.

Didn't check out the AI of that site's bot yet, but if it's anything decent, yes it can take like half a min to calculate a move. And that's just against a typical player like me; I'm not even a chess fan or chess geek.

Against a player like Garri Kasparov, the bots could take multiple minutes for moves that disable his winning/checkmating capability, even if the bot can calculate thousands of outcomes per second.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, I'd have to side with Strowez on this one. I've played chess bots equal to the 'god-mode' level bots like Deep Blue, and like over 1 hour into the game, it can take 20+ seconds for the computer to make a single move, maybe even more.

Which is why I put emphasis on the fact that he quit after the second turn, when moves take under ten seconds :P .

Rebdragon, lets just quit this alright - if we keep argueing we will end up getting this thread locked. i dont want to be the result of that.

i have played chess before, i dont play it often as,as you quite rightly said, im impatiant (sorry about the spelling).

many apologies for being impatiant people, sorry for not being perfect, but its not as if i can become perfect all of a sudden, when someone actually becomes perfect let me know what to do.

No one ever told you to be perfect. I'm not annoyed at all by the fact that you're impatient, I could care less. What I was asking for you not to try and emphasis, though, was the self-formed belief that you're "unpredictable", which was both egocentric and misinformed, from what I'm reading about how avid a chess player you are. Simply put, I wouldn't have cared if you had said "I'm too impatient for this, can't stand to play this game", it was just that self-afferming step further that kind of put me over the edge.

No offense, but in the future, don't boast about your skills in a game that you rarely, if ever, play. It's a tad annoying :| .

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

I was doing great until I lost.

That hurt my ego. I got a lot of his pieces, but that doesn't really matter in Chess. #-o

I've really got to start playing again. I have a really nice marble board with granite pieces.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Which is why I put emphasis on the fact that he quit after the second turn, when moves take under ten seconds :P .

Dammit, didn't see that. :oops: After the second turn, it really can't take that long for the bot to respond, because the possible outcomes after just two moves are very limited and easily calculated if the bot is anything half-decent.

I've got the computer stuck.. It keeps moving between 2 spaces... \'

I'm a thinker but am often short of words sorry if my posts are shorter than expected...

OMG I cant wait for the cleaning skill!

Congratz, You are now level 99 cleaning, you can clean rust stains with all new Extra Strength CLR!

^ am i missing something?

how did you get so many moves while the comp only did 1?

Not only that but it's white's move.

Here's how you do it:

W. Queen's pawn up 2

B. Queen's knight moves

W. Queen's Bishop moves

B. King's knight's pawn moves

W. Queen's Pawn moves up 1

Black's knight retreats.

-White's move-

EDIT: It's not working now, before black would respond exactly the same every time

1z2zrwo.jpg

The computer completly wiped me out. I managed to take out a knight and a queen but my luck ended there. Pawns the rest of the way. I started the game at 11:30 so I lasted almost 30 minutes. I think that is a achivment against this computer.