Marijuana, Is It Actually Bad?

wakka102

I'm pretty sure this isn't against the rules, so I would like to start up a discussion about it.

I'm around the stuff a whole lot, I know people that do smoke it, however I've never touched the stuff, I have no idea why, but I just have always been told that its bad for you. However, studies have said that not a single recorded death has been caused due to Marijuana intake. It appears that Marijuana is less harmful to people than cigarettes or alcohol, which are both highly enjoyed by many people. I also see other "studies" that say its bad for you and one joint is equal to 25 cigarettes! whats up with these so called "studies" and why are they all different? Why is Marijuana Illegal if its said to be less harmful than legal things like cigarettes and smoke?

whats you're opinions on it? do you use it? do you hate it? why do you hate it? lets get a discussion going :)

P.S. if this is against the rules, please let me know.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im really really sure that it is not bad and not addictive, but ive never touched it and never will... cost a lot :lol: ... i think and anyway its illegal which is really stupid, making it illegal doesn't make it go away it makes it cost more, violence over it and people can still buy it anyway.

Also if a drug is illegal the people who are addicted are too scared to go to rehab, making it legal will be a lot better and wont cost billions of dollars...

JfvHV.png

798M9.png

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

My new site. [bETA]

Well, around here, drugs are a serious problem. When I was in 8th grade, our class size was over 120. Now, I'm in 12th grade and we're down to 75. The reason being is a lot of people either dropped out to do drugs all day, or they failed because they spend too much time doing drugs rather than being at school. Of course, the drug of choice around here is marijuana. But, meth is coming in at a close second. Also, a couple of guys got expelled the other day because they were caught selling cocaine during lunch.

Needless to say, I've been around drugs a lot. Just last night, my boyfriend and I gave a ride to an old friend who was notorious for doing drugs. He directed us to a house in the hood and asked us to come in. When we walked in, there were at least six people all smoking weed, and one girl was doing cocaine.

I've done marijuana, but never to the extent that a lot of people around here do. I guess I was a social smoker. I would smoke when I was at someone's house and they were doing it. But, I never dedicated my life to it. I did it by my own choice. I was never pressured into doing it. To me, it's just like drinking. It's not wrong to smoke marijuana. But, if you do, I believe you should smoke in moderation. I personally think that it should be legalized here in the US. The only time it becomes harmful is when someone does it too much. And it's not the marijuana itself that's harmful. It's the effects. People get high and fight, or do stupid things just like they do when they get drunk.

Now, it's been about three years since the last time I smoked marijuana. I just made the choice not to smoke it since I don't like my judgment to be impaired. I don't like knowing that when I did get high, I wasn't completely in my right mind and I had to depend on others to take care of me. That being said, it is relaxing. It does relieve physical pain. I would recommend it to other people if they weren't extremely worried about the legal aspect. Marijuana is certainly an experience. :P Sometimes, I think about smoking it again. But, in my area, marijuana is a lifestyle. And it's just not the lifestyle for me.

3898000bYVcx.png

I had a soft drugs thread a while back. It has some details on marijuana that you might find interesting.

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=690812

However, studies have said that not a single recorded death has been caused due to Marijuana intake.

It's true that no human has fatally overdosed on marijuana (ie: direct death from usage). However, marijuana-related deaths do occur. Between 1997 and 2005 in the U.S. around 280 deaths were linked to marijuana usage.

http://www.medicalmarijuanaprocon.org/p ... eports.htm

Considering the number of marijuana smokers in the U.S., the number is so extremely low it would be silly to worry about it.

In my opinion, most of these deaths can be prevented with responsible use (eg. don't drive high) and government regulation (eg. providing cannabis that hasn't been laced).

It appears that Marijuana is less harmful to people than cigarettes or alcohol, which are both highly enjoyed by many people.

Correct.

Although much of North America would argue otherwise, alcohol and nicotine are "hard drugs" in terms of bodily harm and dependence. They are right up there along with heroin and crack cocaine.

I also see other "studies" that say its bad for you and one joint is equal to 25 cigarettes! whats up with these so called "studies" and why are they all different?

This is an exaggeration by the media.

Why is Marijuana Illegal if its said to be less harmful than legal things like cigarettes and smoke?

Welcome to life, my friend. It seems like you're starting to realize that the government doesn't actually give a fine [bleep] about your health.

Here's a good article on the legality of it:

http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ... marijuana/

whats you're opinions on it? do you use it? do you hate it? why do you hate it? lets get a discussion going :)

I use it moderately and I enjoy it. :)

Why is Marijuana Illegal if its said to be less harmful than legal things like cigarettes and smoke?

Welcome to life, my friend. It seems like you're starting to realize that the government doesn't actually give a fine [bleep] about your health.

what does the government have to gain from making marijuana illegal though? it appears to just be costing them money at no gains...

As long as you're a moderate user, you don't get behind the wheel of a car, you don't operate any heavy machiney, you don't have predispositions to psychotic disease or heart disease and you know what you're doing, you should be able to avoid most to all of the risks involved (or at least reduce them greatly). The worst risks, just like with any other substance illegal or otherwise, seem to come with chronic use.

It seems like chronic pot users would be analagous to your binge drinkers. Obviously binge drinking can have seriously bad effects long term as can chronic pot use whereas moderate use of both would seem relatively safe, yet, alcohol is legal and pot isn't. :-k

Source: http://bja.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/83/4/637

Hmm, depends what you mean by bad.

Physically Bad=No sure, as far as I know, Marijuana doesn't do any direct bodly harm.

But it is bad for you non the less, I know my friends brother smokes marijuana. He works every day of the week. From what I've heard the he's spent 2 grand on Marijuana. His mother know has to get all his money from his employer. It also made him punch a wall and break 3 of his fingers.

But just think about this~What's worse: Marijuana or Cigarettes?

Cigarettes cause many times more deaths than Marijuana. And it's more addictive IMO. My father smoked Marijuana when he was younger, never got addicted. He's addicted to smoking though. He goes through at least a packet a day.

IMO, Cigarettes should be illegal, not Marijuana.

38% of Tip.Iters put stupid made up statistics in their sigs. If you are one of the 62% that don't, put this in your sig.

legalize it, 1/4 of the population is using it anyway :roll:

Dropouts, failures and "gangstas" are the only ones who smoke it where I live. Sadly, they make up that 1/4 of population.

it probably depends on where you are, but I've found people that I never would have expected that smoke it, I go to a morally upstanding prep school that costs 13,000$ a year and I was shocked to find that some of the parents of my friends actually smoke it, these people aren't "gangstas" of any sort, they make lots of money and function as normal citizens. Theres a lot more people around me that smoke it then I ever would have guessed.

what does the government have to gain from making marijuana illegal though? it appears to just be costing them money at no gains...

There is still widespread belief that marijuana is addicting and harmful. Many citizens would be outraged to hear that "such a dangerous drug" is being produced legally for the general public.

People claim that a lack of roadside tests regarding cannabis use is another reason. However, any sane police officer will be able to tell when somebody is high -- the smell is a dead giveaway.

In my opinion one of the problems is that the U.S. spent so long advertising their "War on Drugs". It would be embarrassing for them to admit that they were wrong. Same problem with the current "War on Terror" sentiments.

Another problem is that widespread marijuana use could change the attitude of the public. Many people who use marijuana begin to question certain laws, freedoms and the media itself.

I also feel that there is a strong link between marijuana use and peace/anti-war sentiments -- which is exactly what America does not want.

A final reason I can think of is religion. Many religions prohibit the use of external mind-altering substances.

If you ask me, there is nothing to gain from keeping it illegal.

I also see other "studies" that say its bad for you and one joint is equal to 25 cigarettes!

From the source I've got above, it's more like 3 times worse in terms of tar and 3-4 joints is roughly equivalent to 20 cigarettes in terms of bronchial problems like bronchitis and damage to bronchial lining.

But to put that in perspective, I doubt a moderate pot smoker would be doing anything near 3-4 joints daily where a moderate cig smoker would do at most 10 cigs a day? Not sure on those figures.

But it is bad for you non the less, I know my friends brother smokes marijuana. He works every day of the week. From what I've heard the he's spent 2 grand on Marijuana. His mother know has to get all his money from his employer. It also made him punch a wall and break 3 of his fingers.

That's a lot of money to spend on weed.

But you can blow that kind of money on anything. I know a friend who's spent far more than that purely on video games.

Personally, 20 dollars worth of weed can last me up to a month. If I want to be a mooch, I can get high every weekend without paying a dime for weed. I've found that marijuana users are always very generous with their joints. :)

it probably depends on where you are, but I've found people that I never would have expected that smoke it, I go to a morally upstanding prep school that costs 13,000$ a year and I was shocked to find that some of the parents of my friends actually smoke it, these people aren't "gangstas" of any sort, they make lots of money and function as normal citizens. Theres a lot more people around me that smoke it then I ever would have guessed.

Yep, there is a whole community of marijuana smokers -- it is in no way limited to "gangstas" and street thugs.

That's a lot of money to spend on weed.

But you can blow that kind of money on anything. I know a friend who's spent far more than that purely on video games.

Personally, 20 dollars worth of weed can last me up to a month. If I want to be a mooch, I can get high every weekend without paying a dime for weed. I've found that marijuana users are always very generous with their joints. :)

Yep, there is a whole community of marijuana smokers -- it is in no way limited to "gangstas" and street thugs.

Yeah i should put a little back story to that. See, he was working EXTREMELY hard for his girlfriend, who is also my sisters best friend and a good friend of mine, to buy her a birthday present. You don't understand how much he loves her. Well he wasted that money on marijuana, and well, he broke his fingers because he was so angry that he did.

38% of Tip.Iters put stupid made up statistics in their sigs. If you are one of the 62% that don't, put this in your sig.

Yeah i should put a little back story to that. See, he was working EXTREMELY hard for his girlfriend, who is also my sisters best friend and a good friend of mine, to buy her a birthday present. You don't understand how much he loves her. Well he wasted that money on marijuana, and well, he broke his fingers because he was so angry that he did.

No offense, but your friend sounds pretty stupid to (a) waste so much money on a substance instead of doing something nice for his girl, and (B) break his own fingers out of anger.

I wouldn't say your buddy projects the best image of what responsible marijuana use can do to you.

No offense, but your friend sounds pretty stupid to (a) waste so much money on a substance instead of doing something nice for his girl, and (B) break his own fingers out of anger.

I wouldn't say your buddy projects the best image of what responsible marijuana use can do to you.

More backstory needed lol.

Anyway, he normally casually smoked it. But this kid, another one of my sisters friend, is an addict. He really got him into it. He literally SHOVED a joint under his nose and made him smoke it. But that's as much as I know.

Dropouts, failures and "gangstas" are the only ones who smoke it where I live. Sadly, they make up that 1/4 of population.

I used to smoke pot (still do a few times a year). I still graduated in the top 15% of QLD and am self employed.

Lots of successful, intelligent people smoke weed, not that I think people should do it.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

Marijuana's illegality has always puzzled me. I mean, loads of people in my town smoke it, some on a regular basis, and they seem to have no problems. Well, apart from the stuff that every person has, and sometimes they stay up all night playing video games. :XD:

I think slowly legalizing it would be better for the government, because they could tax it if they actually were serious about it. The cops in my town don't really care about pot smokers, as long as they do it at home and don't cause a nuisance.

I'll admit, I've smoked pot before, and it seems to be much less addicting than cigarettes. And it's great fun.

So, I have no gripes about responsible pot smoking.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Rather than get into another 5 page debate over the legalization of marijuana, I will merely say that I believe there is overwhelming cause for it to be legalized and direct you to Venomai's old thread, where said debate took place.

p2gq.jpg

I used to smoke pot (still do a few times a year). I still graduated in the top 15% of QLD and am self employed.

Lots of successful, intelligent people smoke weed, not that I think people should do it.

Of course, there are lots of successful, intelligence people who do almost every type of drugs but you can't tell that because they're not addicted.

Drugs don't destroy your life, you do by not having enough self control.

Proud founder of the Myriad

Okay, here's what I know:

Marijuana is only illegal because the government cannot tax it.

Marijuana is really much less harmful than cigarettes or alcohol, but anything that burns creates Carbon Monoxide, and that is poisonous to human beings.

asigthegodofsoupzz0.gif

The spelling and grammar of that email was that of an 11 year old palestinian goatboy who is speaking english for the first time
Quite simply, Facebook craps on Myspace. Then makes it eat the crap.