Marijuana, Is It Actually Bad?

wakka102

Its just as bad as cigarettes to your body and mind.

I also say ban cigarettes lol

I say ban runescape "lol". And while we're at it, lets ban everything that can do any harm to you "lol" lets ban everything.

OR, then we could ease on this whole banning thing a little bit, and let adult people actually choose themselves what they do and what not as long as it doesn't hurt any other person? How about? :-k

Reality is hundreds of times more beautiful and more interesting than delusions. Fairy tales just tend to be easier to follow than the wonderful intricacies of life.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmmm, don't always trust those "studies" you see, like a lot of things, the media can over exaggerate a lot on the subject.

Not sure who this is referring to.

Scientific papers and essays are usually quite neutral and rarely ever exaggerated.

However, if you find any of my sources to be exaggerated, please tell me. :)

And people that smoke it regulary, have been proved to have a harder time learning new things, at for example: school.

Sources please?

I smoke it regularly yet I'm one of the top students in my class, and my marks are increasing steadily. I can say the same for other students. In fact, I have never met anyone who's responsible use of marijuana gets in the way of school.

Unless, of course, by "regularly" you mean heavily. If somebody smokes marijuana every day, then it is very likely to get in the way of school.

While the negative sides of smoking a joint actually is low compared to how spirits affect you, then you shouldn't use this as an argument of why you should smoke it. Alcohol is bad for you, smoking joint/pot is as well.. The point is just that drinking alchol is in our culture from the bottom. In norway, people where drinking "mjÃÆÃâÃâød" a kind of beer (added with some poisonus mushrooms) so taking it away now, wouldn't really work.

--------

I'm tired of saying this. :?

WHAT IS RESPONSIBLE USE AND HOW DOES IT DIFFER FROM IRRESPONSIBLE USE?

Alcohol, irresponsible: An irresponsible user will binge drink to the point of them damaging their body, driving under the influence, abusing friends, etc. Heavy and excessive use of any substance/activity can introduce psychological dependence (where the mind begins to crave it). With alcohol, excessive use can often lead to a physical addiction (one with very severe withdrawal symptoms).

Alcohol, responsible: A responsible drinker may drink wine or beer with dinner. Light to moderate drinkers show no signs of physical dependence on the substance. This sort of responsible use has actually shown to be benefitial. Light to moderate drinking has shown to increase IQ and reduce risk of cancers and cardiac events.[1][2][3]

Marijuana, irresponsible: Many of the self-appointed "potheads" and drop-outs at your school are good examples of irresponsible marijuana smokers. It would be irresponsible to smoke marijuana to the point it begins to get in the way of your social life or work habits. Often, although physical dependence is relatively low, heavy users can build a psychological dependence (ie: "craving") for the substance. Irresponsible use of marijuana also includes such things as driving under the influence or operating dangerous machinery. Although heavy use of marijuana has not shown to cause very many physical health effects, I suspect that so much smoke can damage and weaken the lungs over time.

Marijuana, responsible: A responsible user of marijuana will use the drug a couple times per week, if that, and in a very comfortable setting (ie: not in a car!). Responsible users don't tend to show signs of addiction, and do not let the activity interfere with social life, work habits, etc.

Video games, irresponsible: An irresponsible user of video games (like Runescape, WoW) will play to the point that the game interferes with social life, work habits, etc. Although video games have no physical addiction potential, they can be extremely psychologically addicting when used excessively (as with any activity).

Don't believe me? Think that nobody suffers from video games?

http://www.wowdetox.com/

Video games, responsible: A responsible user will play to the point that they enjoy the experience, but will not let the game get in the way of social life, work habits, etc. As with all other responsible users, it's very difficult to become addicted with light to moderate usage.

I say ban runescape "lol". And while we're at it, lets ban everything that can do any harm to you "lol" lets ban everything.

OR, then we could ease on this whole banning thing a little bit, and let adult people actually choose themselves what they do and what not as long as it doesn't hurt any other person? How about? :-k

Sure while your at it ban fossil fuel powered cars.

According to the Irish healthboard there is more people suffering from bronchitis from the c02 released from car emissions than there is from marijuanu use.

Pretty much everything in this world is dangerous and franklyi couldnt give a [cabbage] for the governments opinion.

Lets all team together, buy a island and form our own marijuana filled country :thumbsup: joke lol

Sure while your at it ban fossil fuel powered cars.

According to the Irish healthboard there is more people suffering from bronchitis from the c02 released from car emissions than there is from marijuanu use.

Pretty much everything in this world is dangerous and franklyi couldnt give a [cabbage] for the governments opinion.

Lets all team together, buy a island and form our own marijuana filled country :thumbsup: joke lol

join the peace corps and go to Kenya

not only will you get marijuana for free, you get to help out a third world country in the process.

Of my many friends, around half of them smoke weed. Of that lot, only three smoke it frequently (several times daily).

The only thing they have in common beyond this habit is that they're all as thick as pig sjit in the neck of a bottle.... I doubt this is a coincidence, so I'm guessing weed ain't good for the old grey matter.

Harrington.gif

One of the reasons why marijuana is considered bad is because it's hard to get, and because it's considered taboo. People drop out of school for it because they spend all their money, not because the drug itself is bad. If people were taught early on how to use it responsibly (like many people in Europe are taught about alcohol) the problem would be smaller. This is all my opinion only.

In my opinion, the reason why it is illegal is because it would be too hard for the government to tax it, like they do with cigarettes.

Even if the drug isn't harmful, it should still be banned due to the fact people will overdose and abuse it.

Now you may spout "yeah but X is bad and people abuse it, so I don't see the problem", truth is tho, you don't really care what happens to "other" people as long as its not your family. When it DOES effect you, then you regret it, and that would be my counter argument.

Let's compare it to, say, alcohol.

Alcohol is ok in moderation. So is marijuana.

Alcohol is bad if you have too much. So is marijuana (I guess?)

Alcohol has no REAL benefits. Marijuana can be used medically.

Alcohol can be taxed. Marijuana can't.

In Soviet Russia, glass eats OTers.

Alansson Alansson, woo woo woo!

Pink owns yes, just like you!

GOOOOOOOOOO ALAN! WOO!

Alcohol has a lot of benefits when used in moderation. See my earlier post. It has shown to boost IQ and reduce risk of cancers and cardiac events.

If marijuana is legalized, then it too can be taxed. :)

Mmmm, don't always trust those "studies" you see, like a lot of things, the media can over exaggerate a lot on the subject. As for why it's illegal, well it is bad for your health, and while alcohol are just as bad, the Government rakes in a lot of money off taxes from their sale, so they're in no rush to ban either of them.

As for my opinion, I use it, not heavily, but I like to have a smoke here and there, unless I'm around kids, or planning to drive soon.

Hmm, you say it is bad for your health. Smoking anything is bad for your lungs, just smoking ciggerette paper, I am sure would be bad for your lungs. What do you say if all I did was eat hash? Is it bad for your health then? Can someone dig up some dirt, and see if it is bad for you to eat?

ledzeppelin1jl6.jpg

Alcohol has a lot of benefits when used in moderation. See my earlier post. It has shown to boost IQ and reduce risk of cancers and cardiac events.

If marijuana is legalized, then it too can be taxed. :)

Correction. It COULD have been taxed. Now that there is such a big black market for it, it is all in the hands of people who don't want to be taxed. If it were legalized, they would continue to sell it in secrecy, but people would smoke it without fear of being arrested.

Cigarettes have always been legal, so there has not been a black market set up for them.

In Soviet Russia, glass eats OTers.

Alansson Alansson, woo woo woo!

Pink owns yes, just like you!

GOOOOOOOOOO ALAN! WOO!

You're forgetting that major corporations could produce it in on such an industrial scale, that the economies of scale would drive their costs down which would allow them to sell it at a much cheaper rate. They would effectively be able to undercut the market and make it an unprofitable enterprise for the criminal element.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

lol corporation weed

They all laughed about corporate gambling in the 1940's, now most of the Las Vegas Strip is owned by major corporations. They just go where the money is, if it's profitable and legal they'd do it.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

Cigarettes have always been legal, so there has not been a black market set up for them.

There is a black market for tobacco, in Australia its called chop chop and it exists due to the heavy taxing of tobacco. If marijuana were taxed at similar levels to tobacco then there would be no reason why a black market wouldn't exist for it as well. To think that everyone will still get their marijuana legally just because they can is a bit naive.

Correction. It COULD have been taxed. Now that there is such a big black market for it, it is all in the hands of people who don't want to be taxed. If it were legalized, they would continue to sell it in secrecy, but people would smoke it without fear of being arrested.

To the contrary, who in their right mind would obtain weed illegally off some shady guy on the corner when they can walk into BP and buy a pack? And to say that all marijuana is in the hands of the dealers is a bit ignorant. Weed can be grown basically anywhere, by anyone. It's not too hard for the government to get it for legal sale.

And legal marijuana would be cheaper than illegal. The government would set a stable price and tax it fairly. Dealers, on the other hand, can drive prices pretty high to maximize their own profit and keep up with the competition.

p2gq.jpg

If marijuana were taxed at similar levels to tobacco then there would be no reason why a black market wouldn't exist for it as well. To think that everyone will still get their marijuana legally just because they can is a bit naive.

The government would have to price it well, to compete with some of the higher end dealers out there. Weed is extremely cheap to get and manufacture on a large scale. Imagine if the government used even a fraction of their annual $10 billion extra dollars from decriminalizing pot....

While it's true that not every user will buy legally, I can assure you that many smokers and even dealers would rather buy their marijuana legally from a trusted source, especially if the prices are good/better.

A friend of mine is a dealer, so I hear about this a lot. Even him, who has many "hookups" for different varieties of weed (all at great prices) would rather buy his weed legally.

I'm sure he will still try to sell some of his legally-bought weed, but he will have a harder time.

Many regular users (like me) buy their weed from their "pothead friends". Those potheads buy their weed from bigger potheads, who buy their weed from choppers, who buy their weed from growers, etc. Each level in the underground market gets increasingly more "sketchy" -- and the deals become a lot more intense (dealing hundreds of ounces is much different from dealing a couple of grams). I know of many dealers who would be relieved to get out of the black market.

The black market will still exist -- but if marijuana is properly decriminalized then the black market will take a huge hit (no pun intended). Over time, as the government refines their growing techniques, the black market will slowly crumble.

Here's one quote that sheds some light on Canada's current problem.

"To think that legalization or decriminalization would change anything is absolutely ludicrous," Barnum told CBC News. "What we're producing in Canada is destined for the United States. A pound of marijuana in Ontario is worth about $2,500. That same pound of marijuana in the United States can be worth up to $7,500. Organized crime recognizes that."

http://www.ganjabus.com/2006/01/where-d ... -grow.html

If marijuana was to be legalized, it would have to be done very carefully and in very small steps. It's something that would take many years and a lot of cooperation to work.

If West makes a poor decision, such as legalizing it only in certain areas, or making it lower quality/more expensive than weed on the streets, then things will backfire.

For example, take Flin Flon Mine. From the wiki article:

Flin Flon gained international notoriety in 2002 when the Government of Canada awarded a four-year contract to a Saskatoon, Saskatchewan-based company for the production of medicinal marijuana. Medicinal marijuana is only available in Canada with a doctor's prescription. Canadian users of medicinal marijuana must agree to provide information to Health Canada for research purposes.

Prairie Plant Systems, based in Saskatoon, has used an inactive underground copper/zinc drift owned by the Hudson Bay Mining and Smelting Company to produce approximately 400 kilograms of medicinal marijuana annually. The entire operation is several hundred metres under Flin Flon for security and climate control reasons.

Since the original stock of marijuana seeds were obtained from Royal Canadian Mounted Police drug raids, there was some lack of consistency in the early crops of medicinal marijuana. After selective use of seeds from the first crop, subsequent generations have shown to have a more consistent quality.

This sounds great and all, but a few studies have shown Flin Flon mine to be one of the most contaminated areas in Canada.

Government "Medicinal" Marijuana Grow-Op Located

In One Of Canada's Most Contaminated Regions

Despite an independent test by Canadians for Safe Access indicating elevated levels of heavy metals such as arsenic and lead on the Health Canada cannabis being cultivated in an abandoned copper and zinc mine in Flin Flon Manitoba by Prairie Plant Systems (PPS), neither Health Canada nor PPS has acted to reassure Canadians that this product is indeed safe.

http://www.medicalmarihuana.ca/toxic.html

The result? It backfires and only increases black market use among medi-marijuana users. Users who hear this news end up going back to their old dealers to get "safe" weed.

What do you say if all I did was eat hash? Is it bad for your health then? Can someone dig up some dirt, and see if it is bad for you to eat?

Physically, there isn't much. Getting high will increases heart rate. If you have heart problems or you are very old, then there may be a slight increase in heart attack risk.

Here is an interesting article about the heart attack studies.

http://www.alternet.org/drugreporter/188/

WOL: Dr. Middleman said in an interview that he believes that it is the increased heart rate from smoking marijuana that is responsible [for the heart attacks].

Dr. Grinspoon: Yes, and he put that increase at 40 beats per minute. In truth, that number is closer to 20 beats per minute, which is probably consistent with running up the stairs in one's house.

Psychologically, use of any mind-altering substance is suspected to trigger psychosis in susceptible individuals. These studies are pretty controversial, and there is a lot of valid evidence that exists on both sides.

Most studies would agree that marijuana, as with caffeine and other substances, only trigger mental illnesses in susceptible individuals.

[1][2]

Here's an interesting article on whether or not this is just hype:

http://www.stats.org/stories/2007/do_sk ... r27_07.htm

And here is some evidence that suggests cannabis-induced psychosis is not as much of a problem as the media portrays it.

"For individuals, the current evidence suggests, at worst, that using cannabis increases lifetime risk of developing schizophrenia by one percent"

"increased rates of cannabis use in the last thirty years have not been accompanied by a corresponding increase in the rate of psychosis in the population"

[3]

Since oral cannabis (like hash brownies) tends to be a much more psychedelic and longer-lasting experience, many users report having a "bad trip" (short term psychosis). I believe that bad trips can be minimized by tripping in a comfortable set and setting.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/tbindex.cfm?tbid=810

I would put oral cannabis in a whole different field. If you just want to get a regular high (like you would off smoked marijuana) then the "safe and effective" alternative would be a vaporizer.

http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=7240

Marijuana can only exacerbate a pre-existing mental illness within an individual user, which may not have otherwise come to surface Drug use in Australia: Preventing Harm (2004)

The aforementioned information used from this book is taught to Australian psychology students studying substance abuse.

Mmmm, don't always trust those "studies" you see

:shock: I hope you're not talking about psychological and science studies. There were at least 10 marking sections based on critical evaluation on its own so the papers aren't flawed, many have to be approved by the APA and other associates before it can be counted and cited as a valid case study.

You have to work yourself around so many flaws for example, would it change with age, gender, environment, the way the questions were asked, the different kind of cultures that participated in the study, religious values, and political views and so forth, it just doesn't end.

Honestly? I always get pretty depressed and can't eat on a come down. Never had trouble with hangovers really.

Yeah it affects different people, differently and also depends on what your dealer has put in it.

Personally, I've had one severely messed up come down and it was my own stupid fault for trusting someone I had never been to before. They decided to lace it with meth... much to my disgust and misfortune.

It wasn't a happy come down in the slightest...

Thankfully nothing has ever been this bad again, at worst just this dry taste in the mouth and not wanting to eat in a hurry.

Orange juice is great though.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.