Is there a "true" training method?

Central_Keeper

Before post, think about the point of this thread for a second, and try to be constructive by giving essential points or personal experience, there isn't a right or wrong arugment surround this kind of topic, nor should we try create a 2 sided war. Its again simply to let people express their views and understand this topic better.

When you train in RS, at some point you will see some people doing some unusual ways of training, after a through investigation, you realize that some people rather want the fast xp to get their desired lvl. With that being said, perhaps this is one of the more controversial topic (at least I think), what is the style you train, and does it considered to be true training? To give examples, something like this.

Cooking, buy large amount of raw food, and cook all of them to get cooking xp, and selling back the cooked food. Or, gather your own raw materials, like fish or ingredient and cook them yourself.

Fishing and mining, fish trout and salmon, mine the iron, either dropping them on the ground or sell to store

Woodcutting and and firemaking, cutting willow logs or yew logs to burn or simply sell to store. (Firemaking might be abit of gray area, again, it would be interesting to see what others say about it when it combine with wc)

Runecrafting: acutally walk by yourself to make the runes, or use runners

Simply put, all these method of training does give you fast xp, but do they considered to be "grinding" where one doing the repetive task to achieve the goal that they want? Does bank the raw materials and sell later to be consider true method of training?

PS: Some of the training method might not apply to certain special characters such as pures or skillers, but its hard to make the generalization sometimes.

Again, many points have not been covered yet, and thats is the POINT of this thread, so before you make hasty comment about this thread, try to think about it for a sec and post your response in more constructive manners.

To be continue..........

a happy Runescaper

It's simple for me...

I train fishing and cooking at same time

I cut willows, to get Wc Cape, and i will burn my logs to get FM Cape

I prefer to get supplies on my own

Dharoks, emo's ultimate weapon if you know what i'm sayin. :lol:
Very nice 10/10

For a second when I was looking at your drop-list picture. Ilooked at the dragon longsword and said "They have a dragon longsword now??" ohh I'm tired :wall:

..., then I noticed a gravestone where our tank was supposed to be and my health was a 1 digit number again.

Well I consider the 'true way to train an efficient and not much money losing type of training. Power training is NOT a true way of training since it usually has no profit and gets no respect from others.

99 Ranger: I got 99 range is 1 week.

Random Person: Ya but you power training and did nothing but watch your prayer at skellies.......

Vioce in the background: Owned

Basically anything that is not power trained in my opinion.

Power trained=no respect=false cape

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

The way I view it.

Take the fastest way you know how to make money.

Compare it to how much money it costs to powerlevel, versus how much time spent making money, add up the hours.

Go with the shortest # of hours/opportunity cost. It's simple.

An example: I can make 300k/hr killing green dragons for instance. If I were to smith iron bars one at a time on iron knives, I basically break even at about 12k xp/hr

Thats roughly 1,000 hours of smithing, or an opportunity cost of 300million.

Smithing iron plates, without selling/alching the plates, will take about 250hours, an opportunity cost of 75million.

You'll use about 515,000 bars, at 200ea, or 103million.

103+75 < 300

The obvious solution is to make plates, not knives. It takes less total time if you know ways of making cash at 300k/hr. Which is not terribly hard.

All because you smithed them "like your supposed to" doesn't mean your 1,000 hours versus my 593 hours to achieve the same goal, makes you the smarter/better player.

P.S. I'm raising range so don't stop smithing iron knives k thx.

tipitsig.png

I believe that anyway you do it you should use a path that you like to do it. If you like to buy your skills, then buy them. If you want to make a bunch of money and not level as fast then do it that way. In the end, buying the skill or using all skills together.....you are still ending up at 99 with the same experience as the guy that did it the different way.

Well I consider the 'true way to train an efficient and not much money losing type of training. Power training is NOT a true way of training since it usually has no profit and gets no respect from others.

Random Person: Ya but you power training and did nothing but watch your prayer at skellies.......

I don't think anyone would mind being not respected for his cape if he can hit over 60.

Myself I power trained ranged with chinchompas for 96 ranged, bear in mind that Ive collected them with hunter so I have all right to not sell them and blow them up at skellies :)

I don't think there is a true way of training, some like the fastest money burning way, some like the middle way, and some like the money saving way.

As long as you get the stats you want, and as long as you are happy with them, you won't need respect from total strangers who would call you a noob anyway because you don't wear a torags body.

Solution, get a firecape, never disrespected.

reaper6zr7.png

Interrested in joining the cabbagy madness? Click here to go to our forums, and say hi ^^

lol one of the biggest pvp updates of the year, and tip it is discussing granite

But to have an extra 50-60m to waste on a skill is not small feat either. There is a lot of work put into acquiring that money too, which you have to take into consideration.

The true way of getting combat up is via slayer, not power training.

(Imo)

mathisfun.png

For the life of me I cannot understand this notion of "respect" in an online environment. #-o

Unless someone knows another as more than a series of pixels the idea that stated respect has value is moot. Respect is a feeling on the part of the giver toward the receiver. Since I do not know you, nor you me, any statement of respect you may offer is simply that: a statement. It has zero value and zero meaning.

Power training is simply a method to achieving a personal in game goal. It has nothing to do with any other player. When one engages in play in a faceless, impersonal, game environment to earn respect it demonstrates a lack of understanding of what respect actually means.

Personally, I am game cheap and prefer to gather my own resources to work on skills. Does that mean that it is the one true training method? Does it cheapen the power trainers levels in any way? No, it simply means that I choose to play the game a different way. Thankfully, Jagex understands that players are not all the same and has provided many opportunities for successful character building.

I do not have to approve of anyone else's method nor they mine. To say that there is one true method is to attempt to impose an opinion that one method is right and another wrong. :shame:

Tishala.png

Each person has their own method of training each skill. I personally go with the training method that will let me train as many skills as possible without running all over the map. For cooking I will fish and cook my own fish, yes it does take longer than just dropping them onto the ground but while you only have a high fishing, I will have a medium fishing and cooking (when I finally get around to training it). Some people like powerleveling, I personally prefer to just play the game, and train, and meet new people, instead of standing in one place for a week.

So getting a level fast by spending a lot of money is not training a skill? Let's take your ranging example. If someone buys Chinchompas to level his Ranging skill he didn't earn the cape because it is the fastest training there is. If that person used iron knives and got 30k xp an hour, he would have 'earned' the cape. That's like saying someone should cook trout all the way to 99 because it's harder and less expensive.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

i super potted all my exp from 95-99 attack and def. is THAT power training? your definition is a bit vague. sure, chinchompas might not be the most respected way of doing things for range, i my self have 500k chinchompa experience i used for testing purposes. but all in all, i use addy bolts and crystal bow for a good deal of ranged exp.

Ignorance :roll:

Yeah, all i did for 99 mage was bank 20k ice bursts and sit at ape toll, while spending 10 gp per xp for some fun and fast xp.

Yeah let me tell you how false my cape is.

aquasig2lc8.png

^^Click For Monster Hunting Blog (180M+ in drops)^^

tbh their is no such thing as a false cape.(unless you hired people to do it or hacked an account for the cape) Everybody has done something to earn their cape, just because you took or would take a different path to the same thing doesn't make the other path any less worthy.

signature.png

After 10+1 (10 rs2 1 rsc) 99 skills and one 98 (will take it same time with few others), I've seen how people react to certain skills and ways of leveling. Anyways here's what I think about it.

When I want a 99 skill, I'm ready to do everything for it. If it means losing 200m gp, then that's a loss I have to make. It's easier and better than losing few gp's or even making profit and getting sick of the skill after 700k xp.

I don't think there's any real way of training it. You train the skill in a way that fits for you and which you can afford. If you can't afford red chinchompas, it's your own problem, not someone else's who actually can afford losing some money. If you fish your own lobsters for 99 cooking, blame yourself for getting it slower than someone who has bought sharks. It's about the efford and money you've put into the skill.

I don't agree at all on the false cape arguement. How the hell can range or mage cape for example be "falsely gained" if you've spent 50-100m gp on it? Everyone decide it by themselves are they willing to sacrifice multimillion gp or countless hours to get their cape. How can someone else's opinion on that be wrong?

For people who complain about powerleveling: people have actually worked for their money. If you're not satisfied with the fact that they are using that money to gain stats fast, it's your own problem. It's not away from me, you or anyone else if player A can level the skill in the fastest possible way. You train the skill in a way that fits to you, your bank and your time usage.

Maybe we should start a new thing here: stop the slow leveling - buy everything and do it as fast as possible.

edit: And if I take my stats for example. I hit 99 farming over 6 months ago and lost (buying seeds gp - selling ending productions) over 150 million gp during it. I could have done it and make profit same time if I had wanted to. Why didn't I? Because money isn't the only thing for me and without spending that 150m, I wouldn't have 99 farming or 2138 total at the moment. I neither wouldn't have gotten 98 smithing after it or gained back the multimillion gp pile in my bank if I had just stayed farming herbs just because it gives me profit. Just because I lost gp to level the skill, it doesn't mean I would have lost money in a long run: during the saved time I could make more back than I had used. This same works for other skills too: why would I make 2m gp profit in 1 month by fishing my own if I can invest 10m on fish, sell them for 9m and make 3m gp profit per day?

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

If there's a 'true' training method for anything, Jagex has done something wrong.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

But to have an extra 50-60m to waste on a skill is not small feat either. There is a lot of work put into acquiring that money too, which you have to take into consideration.

The true way of getting combat up is via slayer, not power training.

(Imo)

Agreed on both parts of the post. 50-60m isn't very easy to get imo, takes a bit of work.

And yes, slayer does own.

Jmclark911.png

Jmclark911.png

I don't think anyone would mind being not respected for his cape if he can hit over 60.

Myself I power trained ranged with chinchompas for 96 ranged, bear in mind that Ive collected them with hunter so I have all right to not sell them and blow them up at skellies :)

I don't think there is a true way of training, some like the fastest money burning way, some like the middle way, and some like the money saving way.

As long as you get the stats you want, and as long as you are happy with them, you won't need respect from total strangers who would call you a noob anyway because you don't wear a torags body.

Solution, get a firecape, never disrespected.

Also Think how much it costs using chinchompas, how do people get money? they do skills, I pretty much runecrafted my money for 99 ranged. Respect please.

igsig.png

I suppose your smithing cape shouldn't bring you any praise or respect, after all you did buy the skill and power train it.
xxteargodxx.png

No disrespect but didn't you "powertrain" 99 mining? I mean I highly doubt you banked the ores...

My version of that conversation:

99 Ranger: I got 99 range in 1 week.

Random Person: I highly doubt you made all of the 60m it took to buy those chins in 1 week.

Voice in the background: Owned

You see, when you powertrain like this you can't just disregard the time it took to make the money for the skill. 99 Ranged in 1 week is impossible.

No disrespect but didn't you "powertrain" 99 mining? I mean I highly doubt you banked the ores...

That's true. You're also now Runecrafting correct? And to correctly "train" a skill without powertraining in Runecrafting you'd need to:

-Make your own glories

-Mine your own essence

So, basically you're defeating your own argument as you claim to not powertrain, but in reality you do. :)

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

That's true. You're also now Runecrafting correct? And to correctly "train" a skill without powertraining in Runecrafting you'd need to:

-Make your own glories

-Mine your own essence

So, basically you're defeating your own argument as you claim to not powertrain, but in reality you do. :)

I'd be careful about making assumptions, if I were you.

For 99 Mining he mined over 1 million pure essence and a ton of gold ores. So yeah, he did mine his own ess.

Not saying his idea of looking down on people for not being "self sufficient" is good one...

I'm with Hohto on this one, I'd rather spend the money on a skill than get bored of it because of how slow it's going. I cannoned to 99 slayer, does that make me a powerleveler? I know, I could've made a much bigger profit by not cannoning, but getting that 99 would've taken me about 4 more months, and I easily made back the cash I lost after I got 99

croppedskill2ph6.png

621st person to achieve 99 slayer on December 3rd, 2007

177th person to 99 summoning on June 21st, 2008