Why didn't Jagex just remove skilling?

Sly_Wizard

Since 99.99999% of all auto'ers participated in a non-combat skill (Fishing, woodcutting, mining) why couldn't Jagex simply remove those skills and label the innocent players caught in the crossfire as 'collateral damage'? The ends, after all, seem to justify the means (In Jagex's eyes, of course).

Of course, this idea will more than likely be flamed to hell by those people who frequently fish, woodcut and mine, but I have to ask you why my idea is any less idiotic than ruining staking and PK'ing for those who actively engaged in those activities? If you're one of those people who believe that there must be casualties in Jagex's pursuit of victory, then why does it matter who those casualties are so long as the ultimate goal (No more auto'ers and RWT'ers) is achieved?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wall:

Both are activities. The difference is that there's an actual skill called whereas there is no defined skill for PK'ing and/or staking. However, that's a bit off-topic as you didn't answer my question. If the ends truly justify the means (As some people are claiming they do) then why not simply remove the skills auto'ers directly engage in instead of removing areas of the game which are indirectly related to auto'ers?

:wall:

Both are activities. The difference is that there's an actual skill called whereas there is no defined skill for PK'ing and/or staking. However, that's a bit off-topic as you didn't answer my question. If the ends truly justify the means (As some people are claiming they do) then why not simply remove the skills auto'ers directly engage in instead of removing areas of the game which are indirectly related to auto'ers?

So they wouldn`t just start moving from skill to skill.

I think it was very smart to remove gold transferring. Go Jagex go.

So they wouldn`t just start moving from skill to skill.

No, they wouldn't. There's a reason most auto'ers engaged in fishing, woodcutting and mining (Flax picking as well, though it's not technically a skill) while all but ignoring the other skills-- Because they're the easiest skills to start, require no monetary investments save for a couple of gold and produce the most money based on the amount of time expended in doing them. Now and then you might have found an auto'er runecrafting natures, but the overwhelming majority of them were confined to the three aforementioned skills.

If they pulled out skills, they'd lose 99.999999% of their members....

Congrats on reading nothing but the title.

And the green dragon autoers would still exist....

Except players could and would kill them, unless the auto'ers found a way to kill brutal green dragons.

Sly.. -.-...

How about you stop having a whine about RuneScape and buy some of my steel nails for 28gp ea in the grand exchange, maybe some oak planks, and a hammer, build a bridge and get over it?

RuneScape is better without all those immature people in the Wild.

"Foodnoob"

"Safe noob"

"DEFENCE NOOB" < I mean, wtf?

I dont need a siggy no moar.

How about you stop having a whine about RuneScape and buy some of my steel nails for 28gp ea in the grand exchange, maybe some oak planks, and a hammer, build a bridge and get over it?
Nah, more like you come up with something more original instead of overusing this planks thing.

"Foodnoob"

"Safe noob"

Woah, that so justifies destroying wildy.

scarsrl0.jpg

Thanks to WithTheQuickness for the sig!

Since 99.99999% of all auto'ers participated in a non-combat skill (Fishing, woodcutting, mining) why couldn't Jagex simply remove those skills and label the innocent players caught in the crossfire as 'collateral damage'? The ends, after all, seem to justify the means (In Jagex's eyes, of course).

you really haven't seen that many autoers, have you? there were even autoers that ran planks. many autoer/goldfarmers had accounts specifically for banking so that their harvesters could stay longer.

---

those skills are practiced quite a bit more than pking was. plus, there are more noncombat skills and activities than combat, including a large majority of quests.

so, remove skills, also remove questing, potions for combat, food for combat... to thoroughly remove autoing form skills, they'd have to remove any skill that has some form of profit. that leaves just agility.

remove skilling, a large bit of combat goes with it.

good luck even getting your barrows gear without food or potions...

so really, removing pking and trading was probably the least damaging thing they could have done, considering the alternatives. unless anyone here has any better ideas...?

Sly.. -.-...

Oh, look! It's the dreaded "Get over it" line. How original and thought provoking. I wish I could have come up with such a witty response.

"Foodnoob"

"Safe noob"

What...? I bet you're there are more immature people in Catherby at any given day then there were in the wilderness. Therefore, we need to get rid of fishing as that'll make Runescape a vastly better place :roll:. I get tired of the ignorant skiller mentality that some people have. You're quick to point out each and every minor fault you can find within the wilderness, yet blatantly ignore the major faults within the 'safe' areas of Runescape. No, the wilderness wasn't perfect but no where on Runescape is.

And, for the record, I was called a 'noob' far more times outside of the wilderness than inside of it, simply because there are more people outside of the wilderness and, therefore, a much higher probability of running into a jerk.

...But, really, I'm just saying. It's not like that's important or anything.

you really haven't seen that many autoers, have you? there were even autoers that ran planks. many autoer/goldfarmers had accounts specifically for banking so that their harvesters could stay longer.

It's called a hyperbole. Yes, I'm well aware that not all auto'ers were confined to fishing, mining and woodcutting, but there's no denying that the overwhelming majority of them were. This is pretty much indisputable.

Anyway, does no one read more than the title anymore? I didn't say to remove all skills; Just the three that auto'ers frequently engaged in. Skirt around this issue all you want, but the majority of auto'ers were centered around non-combat skills. Therefore, knowing this, why didn't Jagex go after the non-combat skills that auto'ers actively engaged in instead of going after the activities that auto'ers rarely, bordering on never, engaged in? "Because lots of people would get upset" isn't an adequate excuse, as the ends justify the means. Or have you forgotten?

Common sense would say that you'd make it harder for auto'ers to actively participate in those skills. Unfortunately, Jagex lacks common sense so instead of solving the problem, they go to great lengths to exacerbate them, creating more problems in the long run.

Because although skilling is where the materials were made to sell to obtain GP. It was alot of pkers who didn't have the skills to obtain their own GP that RWT to set themselves up when they were cleaned. I'm not saying skillers are innocent. But its much easier to remove an aspect of that game such as pking than skills which the game focuses on. Removing a skill would affect so much more than pking.

Clue Scrolls, Quests, Cities and even mini games would need to be changed if not removed, it would create an even worse domino effect.

Pgkhqob.jpg

Proud Tip.It Moderator December 07 - October 2009
Proud TETAU Member 2006 - 2007 <3
"I had a standing agreement with god. I'd agree to believe in him, barely, so long as he let me sleep in on Sundays." - Rose Hathaway
[ Posting & You ] [ Forum Rules ] [ Next Tetau Event ]

The way I see it, Jag have used their best means to remove RWT from the game.

If you remove fishing, then a good portion of free and easy food to level cooking and training has gone.

Remove mining and you may as well remove Smithing too, after all, in order to smith your ores, you need to mine them first.

Remove woodcutting, and hell, you may as well just remove firemaking and fletching too.

To me, PK'ing and Staking are Options that you choose to take part in when you play runescape. Fishing, Woodcutting and Mining are all integral parts of the game.

Stusangel.png

Stusangel.png

The whole game relies on skills... If there were no skills, how would there be PKing and Staking anyways? How would you get potions, runes, arrows, etc?

This is almost as bad as when you got mad at Jagex for making luring a reportable offense.

RuneScape can exist without the Wilderness (I'm not saying pking because it still exists, in a sad state.) But, it cannot exist without skills.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...

This is the truth!

This is my belief!

...at least for now.

"The Mystery of Life"

Vol. 841, Ch. 26

Common sense would say that you'd make it harder for auto'ers to actively participate in those skills. Unfortunately, Jagex lacks common sense so instead of solving the problem, they go to great lengths to exacerbate them, creating more problems in the long run.

The point of all the anti-rwt updates was not to "make it harder for auto'ers to actively participate in those skills." It was to ELIMINATE the REASON as to why there are autoers. Destroy their purpose. If you removed skills it would not remove RWT.

And they way you say it, it's common sense to remove skills and not the Wilderness... I don't think Jagex is the only one who is going to great lengths to attack RWT....

This is the truth!

This is my belief!

...at least for now.

"The Mystery of Life"

Vol. 841, Ch. 26

Now tell me, in your honest opinion, what makes more sense. Both in preserving the game and ensuring the end of real-world trading.

Removing every skill that you can make a profit in (everything but Agility) or removing and replacing the Wilderness with a lame version of PKing?

This is the truth!

This is my belief!

...at least for now.

"The Mystery of Life"

Vol. 841, Ch. 26

Because although skilling is where the materials were made to sell to obtain GP, it was alot of pkers who didn't have the skills to obtain their own GP that RWT to set themselves up when they were cleaned.

That's a complete generalization, as you're assuming that PK'ers made up the majority of RWT'ers. Can you prove it? No, you can't. I could very easily make up stuff about skillers that you wouldn't be able to prove one way or another.

Clue Scrolls, Quests, Cities and even mini games would need to be changed if not removed, it would create an even worse domino effect.

No. They wouldn't need to be removed. The most that would need to be changed would be quest requirements, as that's where most of the skill restrictions lie.

*Explained better below*

The whole game relies on skills... If there were no skills, how would there be PKing and Staking anyways? How would you get potions, runes, arrows, etc?

The whole "This game relies on skills" argument is becoming increasingly untrue as time progresses. The best weapons and armor aren't player made but rather dropped. You can go to your nearest magic shop and load up on every rune you could possibly need. The same goes with arrows. Food is becoming increasingly obsolete, due to: 1.) Safe spots and 2.) Alternative healing methods (i.e., Guthans). More and more monsters are beginning to drop potions that used to only be player made. Need I continue?

The notion that skills drive this game, while it might have been true years ago, is nothing more than poppycock now. Skills in this game are slowly being phased out and are becoming useful for one thing and one thing only; Meeting arbitrary requirements in order to do a quest. Quests could easily be rewritten so that they rely more on wits and combat than needing 40 agility to climb a rope so you can talk to an NPC -.-

Right now, the only skill which can be described as a truly integral part of Runescape would be slayer (Combat related), even though I find the concept behind slayer to be completely stupid. All others are well... Not all that important in providing players with the best items to be had in the game (Granted, I'm tired so there's probably one or two examples I'm leaving out).

This is almost as bad as when you got mad at Jagex for making luring a reportable offense.

You've been hanging around Qeltar a bit too much. I don't think you were even on the RSOF when that argument occurred.

Now tell me, in your honest opinion, what makes more sense. Both in preserving the game and ensuring the end of real-world trading.

Removing every skill that you can make a profit in (everything but Agility) or removing and replacing the Wilderness with a lame version of PKing?

Read. More. Than. The. Title.

I didn't say to remove EVERY skill. Sheesh...!

You think I can post three posts without reading your damned stupid thread?

I didn't say every skill either, I said every skill you can make profit off of. You said non-combat skills, which is pretty much more than 3/4 of the skills. And it doesn't matter if fishing, wc, etc. was removed because they'll move onto the other skills that will provide them with an income. That spreads to every skill, except agility and healthpoints.

Even though you technically didn't say every skill, it would become every skill.

And stop avoiding my question and answer it.

This is the truth!

This is my belief!

...at least for now.

"The Mystery of Life"

Vol. 841, Ch. 26

I recently played a private rs classic server that jagex threatened to sue and had shut down becouse it got hugely popular (over 2000 players).

That server had no non combat skills at all.

Congratulations.

My point is, 2000+ people played this game and it had no non combat skills at all, so they are hardly necissary, despite what you skillers seem to say they are.

For some of us pvp WAS that game, everything else was a means to an end, more effective pvp.

Now thats been taken away and people are saying "combat wasnt a big part of the game so who cares"

Sly is giving the flip side of the arguement, skills arnt a huge part of the game, so jagex should remove them.

I can see where you're coming from, albeit an abstract point of view. I think with the new changes (RWT clampdowns/trade limits/Grand Exchange), it will force most, if not all players to become self sufficient.

To maximise profitability, one is going to need skills. Whether you make money through mining or fishing etc, it is the most effecient and assured way of making money. You can combat away for ages without any real benefit, and attempt to merchant with or without success.

I'd be extremely bored without skilling to be honest...

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

Firstly pking wasn't gotten rid of entirely, so if you are seriously suggesting getting rid of certain skills completely, I'm afraid Ima hafta slap you. You have to think about the economy. Sure, nerfing pking will have a terrible effect on the economy, but removing skills would completely send the economy into its own fiery death. Autoers bring in a large supply of the ores/logs/fish etc. Nerfing the wilderness obviously will stop these autoers in their tracks and thus prices will rise in all your everyday RS goods which you use. But getting rid of skills completely would get rid of ALL of your supplies of food, logs and ores and such. Do you not realise what will happen? Due to a halt in the flow of money in the economy, people will be forced to buy all of their supplies from shops, made possible from the stock update. However since the money will stop flowing through the game, it will all disappear. People would have to resort to alching, and since rcing would be gone they'd still have to continuously give money to the npc shops to be able to get natures and/or kill monsters.

Soon a great Rs depression would begin, and you'd be too poor to afford anything. And seeing as there would be a halt in the flow of money, you wouldn't make much profit from staking and pking anyways, since everyone is too poor to afford to stake a load or bring into the wildy very valuable armour. Due to this, many, many people would be crowding the GWD, barrows and other such places where you can get armour that you can't elsewhere. Then practically everyone would be wearing these armours. Why bother selling them? Barely anyone will buy it, and even so, they would be really cheap, so whats the point of selling them?

A top all that, Jagex would have rewrite A LOT of their quests. With the removal of skill requirements. They would also have to remove several guilds and areas of the game. Not to mention the hiscores chaos. Really what I'm saying is, the negative effects of removing certain skills would be far greater then removing pking and staking.

happysigbp0.jpg

Sly.. -.-...

"Foodnoob"

"Safe noob"

Same to you. Constant winging and bad threads.

OT: Unrealistic.