Due to the significant updates that have taken place, you now need to login with your display name or e-mail address, NOT your login name. ×
Due to posts that are 5+ years old being rebuilt, some of the older BBCodes may not have converted properly but still be in the post. Most posts are unaffected but some using what was our custom BBCode (like [spoiler]) will be a bit broken. ×
ixfd64

Days of infamy: the worst is yet to come

Several of the RuneScape updates of Q4 2007 were aimed at stopping real-world trading, and none of them were without controversy. On November 20, 2007, Jagex added a 3,000 coin cap to staked duels and caused massive outrage, despite the fact that it also added the tournaments as a compensation. The rioting and rants were bad, but far from the worse. After all, players could easily get around the staking limit by honor/trust staking.

Ten days later, Jagex changed the party room such that bankers would teleport players in, thus allowing "noobs" to crash "private" parties. To make matters worse, players are teleported in to the room, so spam-closing the doors had no effect. There wasn't much ranting, because some party hosts liked doing old-fashioned parties (where items are manually dropped) and people could still hold in-house parties.

However, then came December 10, 2007. Considered by some players as the day that lived in infamy, Jagex made PKing much more difficult, and changed the game such that items worth over 3,000 would not appear to other players when dropped. I must give Jagex credit, as this prevents players from drop trading, which is against the rules. The only people affected by this are those who host old-fashioned parties, so there wasn't much people upset. However, the PKing update upset many players, and the Rants forum hit a record 1,300+ users online at once. It could have been worse, but many players already predicted such a change and had time to prepare for it.

However, today's update may be the worse. Players who regularly staked, PKed, and/or hosted old-fashioned parties probably make up about 25% of the population. To Jagex, these players are, one word, expendable. A loss of 25% of the players will not make Jagex go out of business.

However, today's update affects everyone. How many of you have given friends gifts of over 30k, or bought a whip 100k over the street price because you wanted one badly, or had bank sales with greatly reduced prices because your membership was to expire soon?

Also, the 3k/30k limit applies to the entire trade, not just one item. If you buy 30k metal bars, you can't pay more than 1gp over or under the street price. There goes merchanting. You can use the GE, but nobody is going to sell Santa hats at the lowest price or buy them at the highest price there.

It may not be obvious, but the trading update affects nearly every single player. I guess we'll see the full effects of this soon.

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

Yes, it does affect everyone. It is a very drastic change, but one that was needed. Back in the day, having 10k yews was an achievement. Sharks were worth fishing for. But due to the autoers, prices of everything went down. People began buying rares with autoed nature runes... It was horrible.

But that's pretty much changed now. It was drastic, and it will be hard adapting to. But over time, we'll get used to it. I think that since all these updates have happened in such a quick chain, players haven't been given enough time to calm down and adjust to them.

We'll learn new ways to cope, and I'm sure JaGEx will listen to the players and implement new ways to help ease the trade limit. Only time will tell.

demonslayer2.png

Retired Tip.It Mod || Admin and Founder of Caesar 3 Mod Squad! All are welcome!

Speaking only from a personal view of things, the whole shebang of updates targeted at "everyone" in general, has not affected me. I rarely trade ingame, and have only had fortune with the GE. So personally I have no greivances to voice about anything.

I can see why many ppl in general tho, are affected negatively.

This is true, But I bet alot of the pkers and stakers didn't cancel their memberships.
I bet a lot of people with multiple accounts(high level main with one or two pures) canceled the pures memberships. This won't show up on the players online, but will surely cut Jagex's profits.

Quit RS, combat 104, total 1651

ugafan2009.png

This is true, But I bet alot of the pkers and stakers didn't cancel their memberships.
I bet a lot of people with multiple accounts(high level main with one or two pures) canceled the pures memberships. This won't show up on the players online, but will surely cut Jagex's profits.

I canceled my pure and my scout, but kept my main a member...

I'm an addict :roll:

*goes to rehab*

aquasig2lc8.png

^^Click For Monster Hunting Blog (180M+ in drops)^^

The only way this update affects me is that I no longer have to think of a reason not to give items to beggars =D>

I've always hated trading since it ment I had to deal with merchants which usually tried to rip you off anyways. So the GE is heaven for me, instant access to pretty much any item I could ever want in mere seconds.

I've gained tens of millions from selling useless junk (t-trail items, low lvl fish and such) and bought myself 99 herblore all thanks to the ge! (still working on the skill, started out at 75, now 86/99)

I've only once held a drop party and that was when I got 99 smithing. Just holding the drop party must have increased my guests by 2/3rd seeing that pretty much everyone was there for the drops and not the level up, so I never held another drop party again and I've never seen why ppl do it. Why give away free items when you've worked hard for a skill, why do ppl expect you to give them free items to watch you level up? If they were truly your friends they wouldn't care the least if they got anything or not for spending a few minutes of their life at a level up party.

Dead+Dude4.png

What we have here are a certain number of people who think that everyone plays the game like they do. They hate the new updates, so they think everyone should hate them as well.

Now, some of these people hate the new updates because they can no longer scam, cheat, RWT, steal and do whatever other kind of mischief they desire. They will keep insisting how terrible all this is, how millions of people will quit, how the game is ruined beyond salvation. They will try to enlist everyone else into their campaign to get the changes turned back. This will not work.

The rest of us are not fooled, and it will start driving the miscreants crazy. They will continue to be vocal in their complaints, wondering why the vast majority of players have not risen as one, and forced a rollback by Jagex. But the simple truth is that these changes are not all that drastic for people who just want to play the game: work on their skills, have fun, do quests, hang out etc.

And the fact is that the changes have actually made the game better. I wish that the game was set up this way 3 years ago when I started playing. This is much better for me, and I suspect many other players as well. As for the cheaters, scammers, RWT etc., donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t let the door hit you on the way out.

What we have here are a certain number of people who think that everyone plays the game like they do. They hate the new updates, so they think everyone should hate them as well.

Now, some of these people hate the new updates because they can no longer scam, cheat, RWT, steal and do whatever other kind of mischief they desire. They will keep insisting how terrible all this is, how millions of people will quit, how the game is ruined beyond salvation. They will try to enlist everyone else into their campaign to get the changes turned back. This will not work.

The rest of us are not fooled, and it will start driving the miscreants crazy. They will continue to be vocal in their complaints, wondering why the vast majority of players have not risen as one, and forced a rollback by Jagex. But the simple truth is that these changes are not all that drastic for people who just want to play the game: work on their skills, have fun, do quests, hang out etc.

And the fact is that the changes have actually made the game better. I wish that the game was set up this way 3 years ago when I started playing. This is much better for me, and I suspect many other players as well. As for the cheaters, scammers, RWT etc., donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t let the door hit you on the way out.

Excuse me, good sirrah, but I despise these updates as well and, last time I checked, I have never been blackmarked or muted in my 2 1/2 years of playing. I have tried to be kind, courteous, and polite in all of my dealings. So why are you lumping all who don't like these updates into the same category as the rule breakers?

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

Excuse me, good sirrah, but I despise these updates as well and, last time I checked, I have never been blackmarked or muted in my 2 1/2 years of playing. I have tried to be kind, courteous, and polite in all of my dealings. So why are you lumping all who don't like these updates into the same category as the rule breakers?

Same goes for me, and I've been playing since 2004, no blackmarks, Im not a pker or merchanter, I dislike teh updates as a matter of principle. I also dont monsterhunt.

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.

You can use the GE, but nobody is going to sell Santa hats at the lowest price or buy them at the highest price there.

Not true. In fact, if the Adaptive Pricing System proceeds to work ineffective then it is much more likely that rares will only be traded for the lowest or highest price within the range and that the trading volume will be much lower.

Bots made the prices of most items drop so much, I decided to keep most for myself unless I really wanted to sell it

These updates are to stop the rule breakers, if you let them be, you are sending a message that anyone should be able to break the rules without punishment

Autoer and macro detectors can only do so much with so many rule breakers

And even if you banned them, they would just come back as quickly

You can use the GE, but nobody is going to sell Santa hats at the lowest price or buy them at the highest price there.

Not true. In fact, if the Adaptive Pricing System proceeds to work ineffective then it is much more likely that rares will only be traded for the lowest or highest price within the range and that the trading volume will be much lower.

These updates were not only done to stop RWT.. They also stopped rares from increasing in price, jagex is being smart by taking care of multiple problems in one update.

record.jpeg

These updates were not only done to stop RWT.. They also stopped rares from increasing in price, jagex is being smart by taking care of multiple problems in one update.

And creating further problems

And creating further problems

I hear they're not going to change this.

Shots-Sig.jpg

My rare is personal so it's street price means nothing to me. (Ok maybe a little.) You do raise vaild points, but most can live with what is in place. I know that I never liked trading and the GE is much more efficient. The only reason you would pay 100k more is because you couldn't find a seller. The GE will nearly always have a seller for high-demand items.

Costantino.png

*standing ovation* =D> =D> well said, I second that opinion whole heartedly. 8-)

lord+krohn.png

RS name: lord krohn Combat 138

slayer specific: 103 whips, 38 dark bows and 250+ dragon boots dropped to date.

Dragon drops: 5 Half shields, 21 drag legs, 8 dragon skirts, and 9 drag meds dropped to date.

*standing ovation* =D> =D> well said, I second that opinion whole heartedly. 8-)

I agree as well. =D> =D> =D>

The trade restrictions aren't that bad anyway. If they increase this value to 50K for over 200 qp, then I will be happy with the entire update. (I know that my sig says that I don't have +200qp, but it's a sliding rule, and I will be happy with the value I get)

At the moment, let's just sit back, watch the RWTers leave, and then we can get some constructive ideas in. Ixfd64, we don't need a lecture about what has happened, we already know that gifts, lending, monster drop sharing, private parties, PKing, and bank sales are heavily restricted at the moment. We need constructive ideas. Not history lessons.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

You, sir, are a moron. I don't care enough about scammers and RWT to have an update ruin a lot of my playing experience. This is the only MMORPG that doesn't allow you to trade the way you want to, that has a reason you know.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

The trade restrictions aren't that bad anyway. If they increase this value to 50K for over 200 qp, then I will be happy with the entire update. (I know that my sig says that I don't have +200qp, but it's a sliding rule, and I will be happy with the value I get)

At the moment, let's just sit back, watch the RWTers leave, and then we can get some constructive ideas in. Ixfd64, we don't need a lecture about what has happened, we already know that gifts, lending, monster drop sharing, private parties, PKing, and bank sales are heavily restricted at the moment. We need constructive ideas. Not history lessons.

As far as I'm concerned, this game is irreparable under the current management. Maybe not for you, but I for one am not content to waste my life clicking on pixels without engaging my brain. The ability to do that in this game has been lost.

As far as I'm concerned, this game is irreparable under the current management. Maybe not for you, but I for one am not content to waste my life clicking on pixels without engaging my brain. The ability to do that in this game has been lost.

Right, ok. Let's say that you're management. How can we solve the RWTing problem better then, whilst still engaging the player's brains?

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Right, ok. Let's say that you're management. How can we solve the RWTing problem better then, whilst still engaging the player's brains?

Stop basing this game so much around grinding. Eliminate mindless repetition. Put something into it that requires creativity, critical thought, and real SKILL. The introduction of a Music skill that utilizes the keyboard is an example; for other skills, you could introduce quests that are based on puzzles and not "fetch me this or kill me that;" you could introduce means of competition with other players that require the player to actually think about what they're doing instead of being the first to click on something with a higher level.

Do you know why Jagex does not/has not implemented this, however? Repetition = time = money, savvy?

I could go into more details in a Suggestions thread, but I got little interest or feedback on my last one and so I see no point in trying further. People apparently like the game the way it is now, and though that saddens me, there is nothing I can do about it.

Stop basing this game so much around grinding. Eliminate mindless repetition. Put something into it that requires creativity, critical thought, and real SKILL.

Hmmm. We've just seen Jagex do a huge sweeping change that affects almost every aspect of the game in some way, and it's been mighty unpopular. If they did what's been suggested above, it'd be an even bigger sweeping change, and I really don't think it'd be much more popular. The game might suddenly become the cleverest MMORPG on the market, but it wouldn't be RuneScape any more. For that sort of thing, they'd do better to create a brand new game. Which they are doing, although my expectations for it aren't so high.

Next time you want to make an assumption and stereotype people, atleast do it in a fashion that does not make you look like a fool.

Game Name: Ego Scorpion

Party Hat Sets: 4

Bank Pictures: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=712645&start=0

ego_scorpion.png