Has Jagex Forced Prices up of Items that were Undervalued?

DegenerateX

Gold bars high alch for 210 ea. Anybody who was selling at 120 was doing you a big favor.

Actually with the price of the nature rune your losing more money than you gain. And if you ever bought gold bars before the grand exchange update you'd know the average price was around 120.

\

Actually, I have always been a seller, and I never sold lower than 180.

=;

You can high alch a gold bar?

You can turn a gold item into ... gold?

cool.

but is thats true, then...arent all items in the ge around their high alch prices?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gold bars high alch for 210 ea. Anybody who was selling at 120 was doing you a big favor.

Actually with the price of the nature rune your losing more money than you gain. And if you ever bought gold bars before the grand exchange update you'd know the average price was around 120.

\

=;

cool.

but is thats true, then...arent all items in the ge around their high alch prices?

your "gold bar into gold" statement was quite redundant. you can alch anything (except coins), even the nats themselves. and, no, they're actually lower than you think.

~WSW~

\

=;

cool.

your "gold bar into gold" statement was quite redundant. you can alch anything, even the nats themselves. and, no, they're actually lower than you think.

~WSW~

On the contrary, you can't high alch coins. :thumbsup:

\

=;

cool.

your "gold bar into gold" statement was quite redundant. you can alch anything, even the nats themselves. and, no, they're actually lower than you think.

~WSW~

im gonna try high alching my bunnyu ears brb

edit: doubt anyone had the balls to try this, but i did.

you can high alch ur bunny ears and regain at varrock clothes store.

effect: ears dissappear, and so do the runes used for hifh alching.

\

=;

cool.

well, yes the thing is maple logs alch for 44 ea, hence why they dropped to 44 ea or 42 ea, w/e they alch for that similar amount they cant go lower.

now, yew longs started out lower then their alch, so their bottom price is at this time, unknowable at least, by those estimates.

I agree that prices for many items are incorrect and require adjustment. Personally, I have 12k gold bars sitting on the exchange which won't sell. I understand there's a similar problem with yew longs due to their price being too high.

I thought Jagex had a small team who were supposed to focus on and maintain the GE? They aren't doing their job properly it seems.

Harrington.gif

I agree that prices for many items are incorrect and require adjustment. Personally, I have 12k gold bars sitting on the exchange which won't sell. I understand there's a similar problem with yew longs due to their price being too high.

I thought Jagex had a small team who were supposed to focus on and maintain the GE? They aren't doing their job properly it seems.

give it a few weeks and i guarantee your bars will sell.

Fook is right about them selling eventually. I had some swordies in the GE for like 2 weeks before they sold.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Fook is right about them selling eventually. I had some swordies in the GE for like 2 weeks before they sold.

Good to hear, problem is that people expect their trades to be semi-instant, which just is not realistic anymore.

well now the key is, not to base all of your assets on thinking its instantly redeemable.

which 12k gold bars really does not sound make or break with people whom actually can handle that amount in the first place.

take for example, i had bought 300k iron knives for 20 ea on forums before the trade update, put them on the ge for rock bottom 31 ea, a week later, all sold.

did the same with willow logs, bought 110k 18 ea on forums and sold for 22 ea in like 5 days on ge. i actually noticed they started selling as i had some other things in the GE 13k coal at max price and thought that was it.. i was like aw sweet, collected the $ and it was from the willows, 10 minutes later they were all gone.

patience is the key especially with large amounts of things that are not desirable.

\

=;

cool.

~WSW~

I think he was pointing to the fact that:

The best known goals of the alchemists were the transmutation of common metals into gold (From wikipedia)

kill_o_troll.png

kill_o_troll.png

as far as i'm concerned, jagex are bound to get biased when it comes to price control. they will always adjust things to suit their own benefits no matter how hard they try not to.

I've seen this point raised a number of times in the many threads just like this one. My question: Why would Jagex be biased, and what in the world is meant by "suit their own benefits?" It makes it seem like Jagex has something to gain by market manipulation.

Jagex could always manipulate prices if they had wanted. All it would've taken was adjusting alch values. In my opinion, I doubt they would've gone to all of the trouble in creating the GE just to do that.

Also my opinion: Prices have changed because the institutions that process the economy have changed. It may be different than World 2 previously, but it is indisputably more efficient, and that is a good thing.

o_knames.png

Maxed total levels

Remaining for Completionist Cape: Livid Farm spell (Borrowed Power)

as far as i'm concerned, jagex are bound to get biased when it comes to price control. they will always adjust things to suit their own benefits no matter how hard they try not to.

I've seen this point raised a number of times in the many threads just like this one. My question: Why would Jagex be biased, and what in the world is meant by "suit their own benefits?" It makes it seem like Jagex has something to gain by market manipulation.

Jagex could always manipulate prices if they had wanted. All it would've taken was adjusting alch values. In my opinion, I doubt they would've gone to all of the trouble in creating the GE just to do that.

Also my opinion: Prices have changed because the institutions that process the economy have changed. It may be different than World 2 previously, but it is indisputably more efficient, and that is a good thing.

solarraider, your post was stupid face it.

if jagex wanted things to benefit their needs, why would they not sell gold to people for real world $?

or hell, why didnt they do this in the last 7 years? they can just make aco[bleep]s that dont have trade limits or any kind of restriction and dumb raw materials into the economy taking it out of the players real control.

Gold Bars never sold for that much during the entire existance of the grand exchange even though the Grand Exchange price is supposed to update to the "average" price it was traded at on the previous day.

Oops, I bought 20k gold bars at 210 each a month ago :P. Meh I still made a load of profit on them :)

To me it seems that Jagex have a downer on obscene personal wealth for players (not for the Gowers) and seem to want to encourage players to train their skills more broadly.

I am in the middle of creating 20,000 ruby bracelets. After creation I can use high alchemy to gain decent magic experience and wealth from my hard concentrating and clicking. High alchemy is easier in this case than trying to flog them to other players, and the magic xp is just what I need ::'

In answer to the question; Yes I believe they have. I also think that they have put a fair amount of thought into the price limits on each item and only time will tell if they've made the right decisions.

No, they are not stupid. the whole point of the GE upper and lower limits are to go above and below the equilibrium price so that the market price is NOT affected. When the equilibrium shifts (as it has), the price has to be adjusted so that it doesn't create a shortage/surplus

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

As has been covered already many items such as gold bars have the floor price to help against mass alching. To reduce the amount of gold coins coming into the game.

I find it hard to believe they didnt intend this when they set them at alch prices. Gold bars and yew longs were used for bringing gp into the game. In a sense the answer to your question is yes?

Im not saying this is good or bad though it could actually be a good thing. It does sound a bit wrong to buy all the materials. I know you still make a loss on half of that stuff but on some of them you can brake even or still make a profit. Either way it still brings gp into the game that otherwise didnt exist.

Everything is going to lower or people wont be able to afford the items and everything macroes used to gather is going to rise or people wont bother gathering them. All the other junk leftover is going to sink because who needs pots when you got pc, no pking or dueling etc? Alot less demand but mass amount created from skilling.

Gp will still be brought into the game but it will be slightly different from now on. Gp will be brought into the game by people who either gather and make their own stuff or who are willing to make a generous loss to the xp ratio. I am also guessing there are still old ways to alch that brake even or make a profit while others do not. Personally I dont give a fudge I got 96 magic and what the hell is 99 ganna do that 96 cant while skilling. :P

The price of training many skills has gone up. I think this is bad. Why? Well, I don't want to have to do every step in the production process just to get the exp because, face it, grinding is DULL. If there was not so much grinding, mass alching would not be a problem.

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

The price of training many skills has gone up. I think this is bad. Why? Well, I don't want to have to do every step in the production process just to get the exp because, face it, grinding is DULL.

But lets not forget that, the longer a skill takes to level, the more money they make in monthly user fees.

Grind = Profit for them

curmudgeony.png

Jagex doesn't control the economy...Some people don't know that grand exchange as PLAYER SET PRICES, and is based on what is sold for lowest, mid price and mnax price of a 5% money difference over a 24 hour period...for that...some people have been paying gold bars max price over a few days

Jagex doesn't control the economy...Some people don't know that grand exchange as PLAYER SET PRICES, and is based on what is sold for lowest, mid price and mnax price of a 5% money difference over a 24 hour period...for that...some people have been paying gold bars max price over a few days

Have you read any of this thread?

The whole point is that people like me :( with 32k yew longs :( cannot sell them for what other people are willing to pay because jagex HAS controlled the prices I can and cannot sell them for

lvl 58 crafting

lvl 50 firemaking

Have you read any of this thread?

The whole point is that people like me :( with 32k yew longs :( cannot sell them for what other people are willing to pay because jagex HAS controlled the prices I can and cannot sell them for

i did read the thread...and my point is that they don't control prices...The point is people want to buy items fast, so they buy at highest price, when they want to sell, they sell lowest price no matter if they take the loss. For your problem with the yew longs is that alchers will lose money if they buy it off the GE.

This is straight from the knowledge base on the GE

FAQ

What affects the price of items?

As you buy and sell, you'll probably notice that items have a tendency to change price. This is based on how much value players put on those items. If an item is hard to get and very useful, you'll probably see its price increase, as buyers are willing to pay more to make sure they get some, and sellers set the selling price higher than the average.

This is also true of common, less useful items, which may decrease in value.

This is called the Law of Supply and Demand.

* If an item is in high demand with low supply, the price will increase.

* If an item is in low demand with high supply, the price will decrease.

* If the demand for an item is matched by its supply, the price will remain fairly constant.

Because you can normally only bid 5% above or below the average price of an item, you'll find that there is little risk of an item's price plummeting or skyrocketing too rapidly. This makes it harder for players to manipulate prices and ensures that everyone gets a fair deal.

Prices are entirely set by players trading! There is no 'set value' that prices are based on, with the exception that a price will never rise above a shop's main stock price, or fall below the price a shop will pay for it. Note that shops will adjust their prices according to the Grand Exchange, so it is extraordinarily difficult to make a quick profit by buying from the shops and selling on the Grand Exchange and vice versa.

The prices items sell at are therefore not set by Jagex but by the players themselves! We are keen to keep a player-driven economy, so the prices are worked out using the supply and demand rules above. We will only intervene as a last resort, and only if we think price manipulation is going on, although the system has lots of safeguards to prevent that.

The market value of an item is automatically recalculated roughly once per day.

I'm not trying to break rules i'm just saying this doesn't show jagex controls the economy..

Oh really? Noticed all the price floors, where the difference between the market price and lowest(or highest) price is less than a 5% difference. Noticed it's mostly on high-alched items, such as Green d'hide bodies and the like?

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.