Has Jagex Forced Prices up of Items that were Undervalued?

DegenerateX

Um, agility, you have to pay to get into the courses. Other than that, there's not too many low lvl agility shortcuts you can take.

Those other skills you've pointed out, yes, you can not buy them (besides the tools needed). But, mining leads to either profit or raising smithing, which is a far more honored skill.

WC leads to either profit, fletching, construction, or FM, the latter two that not many people want or have the time to attain 99 in.

Fishing is just a supplement to cooking. You can cook without fishing, so of course, Fishing is a profit maker. Slower now, since there's no old-school pking.

Hunter is like a pastime, what else can you really do with it? Rabbit's feet necklace, spotted/ier capes, gloves of silence, chinchompas, imp boxes - they supplement other skills, or assist you in your day-to-day activities.

Alching is profitable (i.e. you gain Magic exp for alching), but only for that. You're right, liquid, JaGEx looked into the game and saw people profiting off of alching. They stopped it with the GE, manipulating price controls so that alching for profit would stop. As far as auto-correction, yes that's more based on supply and demand, as most people won't be alching items that are in high demand. Yew longs are the only thing worth alching, and now, they're not. I guess JaGEx wants us to find other things to alch.

~WSW~

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Jagex will change the prices of these items. As it is now, some prices are completly wrong. For example for gold bars, as you say. Let's hope that they change these prices soon.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Mining? Agility? Hunter? Woodcut? Fishing?

How can I buy these?

By 'bought or aided' do you mean I buy a rune pickaxe instead of the bronze pickaxe we get on tutorial island? That's irrelevant

I still disagree with alching being profitable. I am convinced that with a full functioning GE the market would auto-correct to things like this.

Do you know an example to prove otherwise?

production skills are an exception to the rule, which is why they are exceptionally slow to level compared to all the others.

Mining, woodcutting and fishing require nothing put into them like other skills do.

However to gain a level in each of them your looking at doing about twice - five times the work time wise per level than skills you can buy.

Take my 99s for example.

I cooked as I fished and got the 99 cooking 11 days before 99 fishing. Fishing takes much more time

Took me 10 months from then to get 99 wc, but then only like 6 weeks to get 99 fletching.

Hence production skills don;t cost money, they cost time.

The only exception to all these rules would be hunter as you can get fast easy xp in that for free.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I see more where you're going now Paw Claw, but I don't see why all xp has to cost money. Fletching doesn't. Why does magic have to?

Why does prayer cost money? I want my bones to be free! Do you honestly believe that?

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.

they havent forced prices up.. for example coals, irons, miths, addys, silver(ores) have all fallen when rune ores and gold ores have raised in price

Best f2p crafter. (I hope)

95m+ bank since february 2009

Crafting with friends in w61 - Al-Kharid

http://www.pointblog.dk/?go=krat(only 1 time per 24 hours per person.. I did'nt make these rules, so don't flame me)

Paw_Claw - Ok, so some skills Cost you money, and other skills gain you money. So what? What's this got to do with magic and hi alching?

I know this will get lost in all the summoning threads but for the record here's another reason why Jagex CONTROLLING the economy (market prices for items) is a terrible idea:

I (hypothetically) want to RWT with my friend 'Steve'.

I give him $8(or whatever it sells for) in return for ~ 820k runescape gp

I trade him 11364 of my willow longs (which are basically worthless to me) and which have a 'market' price of 88gp each.

My 'value' of trade is 1,000,032

He gives me 1mil gp

Understand?

Now he can go sell the willow longs (in lots of 50) to the general store for 16gp each, making back 181k.

My loss:

11364 willow longs (value at 16gp each ~181k)

$8 money

My gain:

1mil rs gp

Net total:

$8 RL money traded for 820k RS money

This can also be done with yew longs

This is all a consequence from the silly silly idea to set a minimum cap on the price we can trade items (Willow long (u), Yew Longs(s) 704gp, etc.)

The 'market' price is NOT the player price that they are valued in the economy.

- http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=726075&start=20

All comes down to controlling the market prices. Thing like this will happen for as long as the jagex controlled 'market price' does not agree with the player's percieved 'market' price.

This discrepancy will only occur if jagex is interfering with the market, which they are currently doing..!

lvl 58 crafting

lvl 50 firemaking

Everyone here is arguing that Jagex just put a price bottom in that would stop it from being alched.

Well let me tell you something...That's still Price Manipulation.

I'm sick of listening to some of you babble how Jagex is just doing this so people don't just alch and make vast amounts of money. Well let me tell you this. The prices will correct themselves! As soon as an item is discovered that becomes worth alching for profit people will try to outbid each other to buy it in mass which will drive the price back up until it's unprofitable again.

Jagex IS limiting a player's want to sell something.

If a player wants to sell his gold bars below 210 each then by all means let him do so. The Grand Exchange still gives you more money if someone has put an offer higher than that so it's self correcting.

Why can't you guys get it through your heads: YEW LONGS WILL NOT ADJUST!

They are set by JAGEX to NOT go below 704 gold each. And seeing as they are WORTHLESS TO ALL PLAYERS NOT ALCHING they are NOT going to go up.

That is NOT a player controlled economy.

Jagex has placed absolutes on "certain" items to control their base prices.

"Here lies one whose name was writ in water."

The pure and simple truth of the matter is:

You were NEVER meant to be able to make large gp profits buy simple buying in certain items and alch runes. Alching was only meant to be profitable if you made everything yourself, and this was the case a few years ago.

The thing is so many people flooded certain resource markets that prices crashed way to far and this stupidly easily money maker opened to the masses.

All Jagex has done with thier price floors is ensure that you can no longer make big profit alongside mage xp by merely buying products. Now once more if you want the profit you have to make at the very least the item you are alching.

Lol what? Alching cost money a LONG time before the GE came out.

While I agree with Paw_Claw about making money while BUYING everything for a skill I have to disagree about Jagex removing their vaunted "player controlled prices" to do so.

If a player is willing to SELL at a lower price, then what's the problem?

I'd rather sell my products, then keep them for months/years in my bank because Jagex decided players are to stupid to run the economy.

Which is weird, because we ran it just fine for almost 7 years....

The market is playered controlled, it just has floors to stop economic crash.

And in the grand scheme of it we as players DID NOT run the economy well for 7 years.

Over the past 7 years the market has become gradually more polarised as resource prices kept slowly falling and the prices of armours rares etc kept getting pushed ever higher.

Why so?

We demanded cheap resources and got them but were making so much gp come into the game useful item prices had to rise to match.

Eventually we would end up in a market where you could buy resources dirt cheap and extremely easily, but make so little profit off them you'd be saving for months to get even a barrows set.

Simple reality being between greed hungry players and bots we were slowly destroying the economy and it was becoming heavily unstable, hence why you could buy buckets for like 1mil ea if needed in a quest area.

All the more recent players are just like oh noes controls!!!!!! Anyone whos stayed the course of time in rs can see these items aren't all that much different in price now from when the market was stable, before runescape gained alot of popularity especially among the "none of the work but all the reward" type of people.

If the market has "floors" to stop certain prices from going "to low" then it's NOT a player controlled price.

In the grand scheme we ran the economy FINE. Till the very end when BOTS NOT PLAYERS started to ruin it. I can't blame players for Jagex's refusal to control cheaters in their game.

Until the bot swarms, prices for obtainable items slowly lowered, which is not wrong considering "supply and demand". And prices for unobtainable rares went up. Nothing wrong with that either.

I completely trust the law of supply and demand. And believe it would have corrected ANY market crushing prices BEFORE resources became next to worthless, as has happened in the past.

WHY would you collect resources if they were next to worthless? I wouldn't, I'd do something else, which would lead to the "supply" correcting.

I've gotten my fletching up because I got tired of burning my logs. Since I raise my own mage in combat I don't feel like alching them myself.

BUT ODDLY enough, the prices that are SO close to the time before GE aren't for yew longs. NO ONE needs 10K yew if they aren't alching. I WANT to sell these things. But because of JAGEX'S PRICE CONTROLS in the PLAYER CONTROLLED GE (odd) I CAN'T.

And I've been Playing since Sep, 2001. I STILL play Classic. I work for MOST of my own items, then use that money made from skilling to raise other skills.

I understand the 5 percent limits. And while I don't LIKE them, I can tolerate them.

However I cannot tolerate price floors on certain items because Jagex thinks players shouldn't sell for less than that.

The market would balance itself out in ALL aspects if Jagex did not have price floors.

The problem is since Jagex does have price floors on certain items they are leaving gaps open that will make it possible to RWT since balanced trades are based off of the grand exchange values.

Since Jagex is indirectly trying to cut off alching items for profit they have set the price floors so high that it has killed the market for any previous buyers. They are taking markets out items from which entire skills are based around.

Despise the insanely fast xp, would any of you have considered getting 70 fletching to fletch yew longbows if there was no market for them?

Looking for someone to teach me how to Armadyl farm - pm me

10,200th Person to Achieve 99 Magic on 1/10/08

The market would balance itself out in ALL aspects if Jagex did not have price floors.

The problem is since Jagex does have price floors on certain items they are leaving gaps open that will make it possible to RWT since balanced trades are based off of the grand exchange values.

Since Jagex is indirectly trying to cut off alching items for profit they have set the price floors so high that it has killed the market for any previous buyers. They are taking markets out items from which entire skills are based around.

Despise the insanely fast xp, would any of you have considered getting 70 fletching to fletch yew longbows if there was no market for them?

I got 80 fletch just because I was bored with burning logs.

Now I want to sell the bows I DIDN'T drop.

But because of Jagex's price controls on the player controlled market I can't.

I see more where you're going now Paw Claw, but I don't see why all xp has to cost money. Fletching doesn't. Why does magic have to?

Why does prayer cost money? I want my bones to be free! Do you honestly believe that?

Prayer costs money because not many people gather bones, and a lot of people want them.

To answer my own question, Magic costs money because Jagex said it should. :roll:

Everyone here is arguing that Jagex just put a price bottom in that would stop it from being alched.

Well let me tell you something...That's still Price Manipulation.

I'm sick of listening to some of you babble how Jagex is just doing this so people don't just alch and make vast amounts of money. Well let me tell you this. The prices will correct themselves! As soon as an item is discovered that becomes worth alching for profit people will try to outbid each other to buy it in mass which will drive the price back up until it's unprofitable again.

Jagex IS limiting a player's want to sell something.

If a player wants to sell his gold bars below 210 each then by all means let him do so. The Grand Exchange still gives you more money if someone has put an offer higher than that so it's self correcting.

Why can't you guys get it through your heads: YEW LONGS WILL NOT ADJUST!

They are set by JAGEX to NOT go below 704 gold each. And seeing as they are WORTHLESS TO ALL PLAYERS NOT ALCHING they are NOT going to go up.

That is NOT a player controlled economy.

Jagex has placed absolutes on "certain" items to control their base prices.

Then why was the GE sold to us as a massive new PLAYER CONTROLLED market?
If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

im sure this is player made prices, just that jagex have made some limits to trade in.. My friend bought 100k yews at a little over the max price, and suddently they were a little more next day, and the day after

Best f2p crafter. (I hope)

95m+ bank since february 2009

Crafting with friends in w61 - Al-Kharid

http://www.pointblog.dk/?go=krat(only 1 time per 24 hours per person.. I did'nt make these rules, so don't flame me)