"Who wants to be my GF/BF" - Any of you?

REDACTED

First of all, It wouldn't be so irritating if guys/girls wouldn't harass people about it. Second, I personally think that online relationships are a load of bull. I am not trying to pass judgment on people who take part in the e-relationships, but I really don't think that they are worth the time and/or energy that gets put into them. With all of the drama behind them, it is much more worth it to go out in the real world and have a relationship there. Back to my first thought, harassing people in-game WILL NOT, I repeat WILL NOT make them want to be your friend or anything more. Even going about it in a kind and non threatening way can make you look rude and desperate. Seriously, is there a reason for all of this madness?

~ Chey

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I have a few friends from school who are of a female gender, and they play Runescape, some of the story's I have heard about guys wanting them, some sick and disturbing, others just plain immature and rather sad...

What's your views on this matter? Oh and please don't say Ignore it, I would, but I feel for the girl who's getting asked this questions and trying to get away from then.

[This debate also applies for girls who ask boys out, but I found this less common]

First of all, I'd bet that half the girl charcaters on rs are played by boys. And its amazing that u actually kno a few girls in real life that play rs. I wish there were some girls in my 4000+ student school that played.

teh_gauss.png

If you've found someone you really enjoy sharing the game with, I don't see a problem with it. I see handfulls of people showing affection to each other in game, in a mature and decent way. And by that I mean through conversation.. Not like, emoting or anything.. But, none of my business, why should I care.

The only thing that bothers me is seeing kids chasing after female pixels saying things like, "PLzZ PLz BE MA GF I LYK U" ..etc. Gotta wonder why they're so desperate. :D

fail124.jpgfailbait.png

Fire Cape - Aug 14, 08.

coolnamefailbaitedit.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
K. I'll post the thing I said in my thread.

Ok now I don't mean something like walking up to a random person and saying "Wanna be my girlfriend/boyfriend?" I mean like actually having a relationship before you became boyfriend and girlfriend.

I think it is fine. After all they tell you to go by personality not looks. Technically on Runescape thats their personality not their looks.

I personally have a girlfriend on runescape right now and I am very fond of her Smile. Some of you may disapprove of this and thats fine I love her alot Love .

Anyways what do you think? Do you think if you guys were friends and stuff or at least talked before you became Boyfriend/Girlfriend its ok? I do, but I disapprove of the randomly walking up to someone and asking to be their boyfriend/girlfriend.

umm sometimes it is about looks cuz when a f2p person who isnt very experianced in rs will walk up to someone in full dragon and ask them out just cuz they look rich.....theres some food for thought

thhide.jpg

I have gotten close to guys in-game, but I have never dated anyone, and I never will.

I think of the majority of my guy friends in Runescape as just that guy friends, or if I'm really close to them gay guy friends, :P

Runescape in my opinion is to impersonal to have a loving relationship. You can form friendships, but after that, relationships wouldn't work. There are exceptions to the rule but as a majority, Runescapers need to stop trying to find love, or find another game.

Random people asking 'Do you want to be my gf?' just tick me off. They're only in it for money, and they're never going to get anywhere. However, this isn't to say that the Internet cannot be a medium for a relationship.

I mean, if you browse Off-Topic at all, you know Merci and Suzi. They met over TIF, and they're in a solid relationship now, living with each other at one or the other's home for lengths of time. I think the longest they've been apart since they first met face-to-face is three weeks. They have a healthy relationship, and it started on the Internet. What's wrong with that? Nothing. If you get to know the person first, and then find that you might have feelings for them because of the Internet, set up a webcam conversation, or get their Facebook or something similar. It's not hard to do, and you can verify they are who they say they are (unless they're like me and don't have Facebook, Myspace, a webcam, or anything of the sort, but for the sake of the discussion, we'll realize that I'm the exception, not the rule). Once you've done that, you actually do know them, and a meeting in-person can be arranged any time. Is there any problem with that? Not at all.

I have gotten close to guys in-game, but I have never dated anyone, and I never will.

I feel the same, actually. Not to say that it shouldn't happen, but I already said, I have no way to get to know them or see them over the Internet and so it's impossible for me. But, I suppose, to each their own.

lSEHB.gif

Being immature is a part of being mature.

If someone is trying to find a girlfriend on RS, doesn't that prove that they don't have much experience in talking to our better halves in real life? I don't know if the rest of you chicks feel the same way, but......

Doctors repeat themselves because they have nothing better to say......

• 1 month later...

Not everyone on RS is a child.

Many are adults. Many with some disability, leaving them unable to work. Some perhaps terminally ill. And for various reasons, play a lot, get to know other adults who they become very close to, due to sheer amount of time spent chatting, relating.

May I ask this? What of arranged marriages? heh. They don't know each other from adam.

And those who may be adults who go into bars, only to go home with a one-night-stand. Hmm... compare that to befriending someone on the long-term on RS. And suddenly you realize, after emails, skype calls, etc, you EVENTUALLY want to meet.

You meet.

Voila.

It's not ENTIRELY sick and twisted.

This isn't an all or nothing issue. Few things are.

in my opinion, being in a relationship in rs is just WRONG. u dont know whether ur so-called "gf" is actually a girl.....it could be a pimply faced teenage guy. u dont even know how the person on the other side of the screen looks like...falling in love with a pixel is a bit desperate, isnt it?

Chances are it's not going to be an old man/pedophile. It's going to be some 13 year old boy who has nothing better to do.

3 rules to stick by:

Guys are guys

Girls are guys

Little boys are FBI

I'm a girl on runescape and irl.

I have a view on both sides. About a year ago, me and a friend were bored so we shouted out 'looking for a husband' a few times. A guy volunteered, we went to varrock church and my friend made up a few lines of wedding stuff with a bit about zamorak thrown in. Afterwards, we went to the blue moon inn, ate fish, drank beer, danced a bit, then I never saw him again and chatted to him once or twice.

I realise now that he could have been anyone, but I don't see the harm in what I did. If he had tried to hassle me, i would have reported him and put him on my ignore list. I would never choose a random avatar to ask to be my boyfriend, but I had a joke with some random guy, and we had fun for 30 minutes or so. I didn't want free stuff, and neither did he. What was wrong with that?

hot_lips255.png

Signature your in it put backwards this read to enough smart were you if.

Did you know that 78.45% of statistics are made up on the spot?

hot_lips255.png

[Removed - Site sends spam and requires personal information to recieve results] Bluelancer

i have 'relationships' with people over the internet, but it never goes further than friends, i also report people that ask: 'can i be your gf/bf?', because its pathetic and one girl that i know who was being hassled by a lvl 50 who said she was 'hot', gave the reply: 'how can i be hot? it's just pixels' completely true argument and under jagex's rules it is solicitation and reportable for rule 1.

also i know that the 'girls' that i speak to online, are actually girls.

and i think that girls dont hassle guys, because boys tend to think an assimilated bunch of pixels made to look like a female human, will boost their 'status' in society and boast about it to their 11 year old friends that they got a really hot gf. oh and i also agree with awcaddet about the fact that some of the things i have seen boys ask from females on this game, is rather sickening.

I am sure many of you have heard the word: 'cyber', which one of the female characters i know was asked for, so me and some of her other male friends went to where she was and managed to get the little boy to go away and hopefully grow up.

however not all of the people on rs, want to have to have a serious relationship.

99-7.gif

Most Difficult Quiz

Rare drops; tzhaar-ket-om: 6 tzhaar-xil-ak: 4 tzhaar-xil-ek: 4 tzhaar-mej-tal: 1 Obsidian cape: 18 Dragon Plateskirt: 4 Dragon Platelegs: 7 Sq Shield left half: 1 Dragon Boots: 1 Dragon Medium Helmet: 11 Draconic Visage: 1 Zamorak Spear: 3 Steam Battlestaff: 1 Godsword Shards: 3 Bandos Chestplate: 1 Bandos Tassets: 1 Abyssal Whip: 1

I find it rather sad, trying to get a GF on an online game, and it's only right that it's against the rules.

Personally, I have a female Runescape character, while in real life, I'm a guy. I've had people coming up to me saying "I'm hot". The best way to handle this is to say you're a guy and they'll leave.

I really dislike people randomly asking for e-girlfriends, and i also dissaprove of e-girlfriends in general.

I have been in a relationship for nearly 10 months now, not ingame. I just dont find it healthy to be in a relationship with some "pixels" and a fake person who you dont really know what they are like.

I can portray myself as anyone over the internet, and this is the part that i find wrong.

Your "beautiful" e-girlfriend could be anyone..

Like a 93 year old great grandmother of nineteen :P

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

Online dating in RuneScape = FTL imo. Online dating? Meh, I don't have much of an opinion of it, but then again you'll never see myself asking for a hawt gf. -.- Online dating is not right in my eyes. I, for one, think it's unhealthy, ODD, potentially dangerous, and only in the right enviornment do I believe that it has potential. (I'm thinking ACTUAL online dating services like E-Harmony.) But on RuneScape? Maybe it's all fun and games for the younger generation, but I see no interest or any point for myself.

Sir_Sibz.png

Sir_Sibz.png

45f0d8e6a6.png

BlogSignature-March11.png

• 3 weeks later...

Online dating compared to dating in a game is very different in my eyes.

I have a friend who is now 21 and just got married 2 weeks ago. His wife, whom he met on an online dating service, had known him for 2 months, and only met him in person about a month ago. It is a very rare occasion but it is working for them, the interent allowed a place for them to meet, him living in Kentucky her in Florida (for those of you who dont know that is about 600 miles apart from each other) and allowed them to better get to know each other.

At the same time my personal beliefs on the subject are as follows. I dont think it is healthy for children, or young adults to be getting emotional wrapped up in a video game. It draws away from childhood, friends and building actual relationships with people around you that can be there for you when needed. I know its a nice feeling to have someone who says they care about you, but those feelings(if true) are to manipulated to be fulfilling in the end. You dont really know them and you never really can until you meet them face to face, which in todays society is completly utter stupidity because of all the sick, demented people that exist on this planet.

So all in all I would highly suggest that you play this game with intentions to have fun and be care-free for as long as allowed, which is the point of any game, to distract you from reality for a certain amount of time, and when you start mixing the two, things become dangerous.

Wow that took longer than expected

A random person walking about asking random girls to be his girlfriend is indeed creepy and should'nt be allowed :shame: .

However i have a few select friends on rs who do have a gf/bf that they have met on RS and get along so well they really do act like a couple. I dont think that there is any actual "love" between any of them its just a way of having a really close friend that you would share your phat or 3rd age with. I think the term "bf/gf" is another way of saying "I trust this person".

snipe338.png

"What is a zezima?" "Think it's a type of soup"

Snipe338

• 2 weeks later...

It's alright to play around, but to have a serious relationship in an on-line game? Stupid.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

It's alright to play around, but to have a serious relationship in an on-line game? Stupid.

I have to agree with you. After all, who knows what lies behind the beautiful (pixelated) facade?

However, this problem cannot be easily eradicated. People of immature nature (otherwise known as kids) are bound to enter this easily-accessible digital space. Remember: this isn't what was once a 'T'-rated game anymore. Teenagers have evolved from the RuneScape era to more gory-intensive games. And in its place, we have hordes of new, younger blood. Along, of course, with all the immaturity.

Immature people do immature things.

drapit.png

• 2 months later...

I had my character changed to a girl and about 20 guys came up to me and asked my character out, saying she was beautiful, etc etc.

I personally think that anyone who wants to have an e-relationship better know what their getting into, rather than just blindly charging in and thinking 'It doesn't matter, I'll never meet this person.'

Maybe that person will ask you if you want to meet up, and then when you do they might kidnap you and you never see your parents again.

That's the reality kids

Darthsidio1.png