"Who wants to be my GF/BF" - Any of you?

REDACTED

Now I just don't get why some people do this, It is some what creepy, because it could very well be the act for a internet predator on the hunt.

Now to my surprise while reading through the rules, I noticed that asking someone to be your BF/GF is not allowed, So if you share the same reasoning as me, or just simply dislike them, then report them.

Now I have a few friends from school who are of a female gender, and they play Runescape, some of the story's I have heard about guys wanting them, some sick and disturbing, others just plain immature and rather sad...

What's your views on this matter? Oh and please don't say Ignore it, I would, but I feel for the girl who's getting asked this questions and trying to get away from then.

[This debate also applies for girls who ask boys out, but I found this less common]

Replying to the bolded parts.

Ok, just throwing it out there, take this how you will...I think most internet predators aren't dumb enough to go around asking "will you be my gf" on runescape. They, or at least the smart ones in any case, would realize that this has little chance of working. I think they'd try a more subtle way.

As for the sick and disturbing guys...The internet is a place where it's easier to be sick and disturbing without chance of consequence. And frankly, some people are just crazy.

Main reasons I think it's a bad idea is because you can't know who is behind the keyboard. I have heard cases of relationships blossoming from RS...but...I get the impression from these that you just MEET the person on rs, and get to know them more first.

Random people asking 'Do you want to be my gf?' just tick me off. They're only in it for money, and they're never going to get anywhere. However, this isn't to say that the Internet cannot be a medium for a relationship.

I mean, if you browse Off-Topic at all, you know Merci and Suzi. They met over TIF, and they're in a solid relationship now, living with each other at one or the other's home for lengths of time. I think the longest they've been apart since they first met face-to-face is three weeks. They have a healthy relationship, and it started on the Internet. What's wrong with that? Nothing. If you get to know the person first, and then find that you might have feelings for them because of the Internet, set up a webcam conversation, or get their Facebook or something similar. It's not hard to do, and you can verify they are who they say they are (unless they're like me and don't have Facebook, Myspace, a webcam, or anything of the sort, but for the sake of the discussion, we'll realize that I'm the exception, not the rule). Once you've done that, you actually do know them, and a meeting in-person can be arranged any time. Is there any problem with that? Not at all.

I have gotten close to guys in-game, but I have never dated anyone, and I never will.

I feel the same, actually. Not to say that it shouldn't happen, but I already said, I have no way to get to know them or see them over the Internet and so it's impossible for me. But, I suppose, to each their own.

Although I think there is nothing wrong with that, I have two things to say.

1.) Be very careful.

2.) There is a difference between meeting someone on RS who you eventually have a relationship with , and having a RS gf/bf.

3.) This has nothing to do with anything you said. I think the person who said that we should teach children to spot dangerous scenarions and people rather then teach them not to trust strangers was onto something. Plus, in most kidnaping cases, it is actually someone the kid knows. Maybe a family friend, or a handy man because the house is getting renovated. Then theres all the parental kidnappings, when one parent kidnapps the kid as a result of a messy divorce.

Online dating in RuneScape = FTL imo. Online dating? Meh, I don't have much of an opinion of it, but then again you'll never see myself asking for a hawt gf. -.- Online dating is not right in my eyes. I, for one, think it's unhealthy, ODD, potentially dangerous, and only in the right enviornment do I believe that it has potential. (I'm thinking ACTUAL online dating services like E-Harmony.) But on RuneScape? Maybe it's all fun and games for the younger generation, but I see no interest or any point for myself.

There is a very large and distinct difference between online dating and meeting someone online. Personally, if I ever ended up using one of these services, I wouldn't consider us to be "dating" until we meet in real life and have a real date. However, I stress upon the difference between meeting someone on line and dating someone online. The online world can be a good place to meet people providing your smart about it.

Offtopic: I am eating too much chocolate. Too much Christmas candy.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling that those people are just doing this for the lolz. Otherwise, why would they even bother?

Also, how can you find a pixellated character "hot"? Unless they are otaku or furry or hentai or something... <_<

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Dude, you resurrected a thread over a year dead. With an active thread on this already going.

Someone spent the holidays raising their Thread Necromancy skill...

ThreadNecro.jpg

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Most people are just immature kids trying to be funny or amuse themselves. Some of my friends whom I couldn't persuade to join Runescape said that they were going around asking for girlfriends to be annoying. It saddened me that my friend did this, but somewhat relieved that all the guys asking for gf's on Runescape aren't child molesters.

My Runescape character was changed into a female avatar once, and I was messing around on RS during the Christmas event. My character was wearing a santa outfit, and this kid walks up to me.

[him] Hey sxc santa momma.

[me] I'm a guy IRL.

[him] Rally?

[me] Yes.

[him] Ewww

[me] Owned.

A few minutes later, I had a friend PM him.

[friend] I heard you was messing with ma girlfriend and you called her a man.

[friend] Don't make me come all the way over there and kick your [wagon]...

[him] I said I was sorry...

(And my friend just kept screwing with this kid's head until the kid put him on his ignore list.)

:thumbup:

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Online relationships in general don't annoy me. I'm in one myself, admittedly, and I'm very happy with the guy - and I know a friend who is in a relationship with someone who she met on the internet (and in real life, for anyone who cares). They can work as long as you're careful and have regular contact with each other using webcams, etc.

However, going up to random people on a game and saying their avatar is "beautiful" and asking them out instantly is just... disturbing. :mellow: Most of the time it's probably just young kids who think they'll be cool for having an e-girlfriend/boyfriend, or thinking they'll get items and stuff out of it. Or they're just trying to be irritating. -.-

[hide]sevestia.png[/hide]

I'm ok with e-relationships, but if it's bugging me I'll report it. I don't like the attitude behind the people who do it though, they're(not their) just a bit immature for Runescape. They should just learn the meaning of a true relationship and work for that.

My signature got deleted :(

And I lost all the links. Thanks Gandorf61.

Dude, you resurrected a thread over a year dead. With an active thread on this already going.

Someone spent the holidays raising their Thread Necromancy skill...

ThreadNecro.jpg

That is an AWESOME Magic card. Just Awesome :thumbsup:

My first message got double-posted, I wanted to put something else <_<

I'm ok with e-relationships, but if it's bugging me I'll report it. I don't like the attitude behind the people who do it though, they're(not their) just a bit immature for Runescape. They should just learn the meaning of a true relationship and work for that.

Report them for what, exactly?

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

Report them for what, exactly?

Sometimes you may report them for asking for personal details or for spamming.

Actually, if what I'm thinking is correct, then Ghost has no right to report them.

However, I'd actually prefer Ghost answered him/herself, rather than get a guess from a third party.

Check this out:

http://www.runescape.com/rules/rule_inappropriate_language.ws#okay

Under section three it clearly states that it is against the rules.

Again, if it isn't bugging me or another player, I won't report it.

Now normally, I just let people get on with their false reports, however, this is a misconception about the rules.

"3. Is it okay to ask for a boyfriend or girlfriend in the games?

No, that is solicitation and is not allowed at all. This is to ensure the safety of all our players."

These players, as I imagine, are claiming love for each other, amongst other things. Now, this is a conversation between two players, and I highly doubt either is asking the other to be their boy/girlfriend.

Rule 1, section 3 refers to those who go around asking for a boy/girlfriend.

Why don't you learn the rules before reporting?

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

rather a lot of serious posts on this subject i see ( maybe the OP tugged at some heartstrings ;) ? )

personally after being banned for 2 weeks for farfetched and almost impossibly funny reasons its become clear to me that people will report you for anything, so words of advice for those people who are young or just looking for someone to be close to because your facially challenged. DONT DOOO ITTT!!!!!!!!!, theres many irl skets around that will take you! dont lower yourself to edating and losing your items/gold/account over something as a fictional relationship ull end up kicking urself

oXmutilateXo.png

• 3 weeks later...

rather a lot of serious posts on this subject i see ( maybe the OP tugged at some heartstrings ;) ? )

personally after being banned for 2 weeks for farfetched and almost impossibly funny reasons its become clear to me that people will report you for anything, so words of advice for those people who are young or just looking for someone to be close to because your facially challenged. DONT DOOO ITTT!!!!!!!!!, theres many irl skets around that will take you! dont lower yourself to edating and losing your items/gold/account over something as a fictional relationship ull end up kicking urself

I lol'd when I read this forum thread. Sorry, I guess I'm cruel...but really? I'm currently single atm after having to break up with my girlfriend because she moved back to Japan, but in all honesty if you're going to spend the effort to try and get and e-girl/boyfriend...it's about the same just to meet and talk with someone IRL. Much better too, as an e-hug by spamming some emote or other is badly beaten by a quick hug after not seeing them for a couple of hours; no competition.

I agree with you oXMutilateXo, though ofc. you should be just as careful, if not MORE careful irl when you meet someone. Just because you and your friends might know them, doesn't mean that it's 100% safe, as with the rest of life.

Anyway...

"lolololroflwaffle @ teh cyb0r lovurs *thbbbt*" :rolleyes:

Forgivness is for those too weak to take vengeance.

DJ Hiraku

kazukiyuki.png

It`s those 12 year old kids, that want gf in Runescape, so they can boast about it in school.

If the 2 persons know each other in real life, I see nothing wrong with it. *coughexperiencecough*

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

WOW, Ok - lets see... first off - for all of you who are like "Guys are guys, and girls are guys, there are no girls on the internet" you all need to SHUT UP. I am a girl and I play runescape, there are girls on runescape, and all you're doing is ticking them off, and for that matter, why would you want to piss a girl off, its not exactly smart. and as for the internet relationships thing, I believe that you truely can meet some great people online, you can have amazing friends, some of them in time can become closer than real life friends, however, having a friend and dating someone online are totally different things. Runescape isnt a dating service - like has been stated, but there is nothing at all wrong with having a great relationship with someone online. However, once it moves on to dating, you have to take a step back and think about what you're doing.

anyway, as for the main thing this topic was about, the whole "Do you wanna be my GF" thing gets old, fast. Ive been playing runescape for a very long time, and theres always those little immature boys that see my girl character and walk up and start asking me to be their gf. This is just plain annoying, and Ill admit when I first started playing the game, creeped me out a bit - because i was rather young. Now I try to just ignore it and walk away, but everyonce in a while, it just makes me mad that I cant just play the game without having a bunch of people 1. either telling me that im not a girl, even though I know i am or 2. asking me out / to marry them.

Take the time to realize that there are girls on runescape, and they're just as good, if not better than you boys, and that they should be respected, and not brought down by denying that they are what they are.

Hehe, this happened 3 years ago.

[hide=]A couple of friends and some other people played Runescape in my class, and one of my friends suggested that I get married in Runescape. I answered him, "Why?"

And his response? "So you can make-out and crap. What do you think?"

In my opinion, at that age, I was a total idiot, so I agreed. He arranged me to get married in game, with one of the girls in the class and in the last hour, she disagreed. So my friend went around saying "Psst, follow me and I'll give you 100k if you do something for me" to random female players. (That time, there was no trade limit)

So I got married to a total stranger and I really wanted to leave the wedding but my friend and the girl said "You leave now, we'll blackmail you for the rest of the year." And certainly I didn't want that to happen so i went forward with their idea.[/hide]

Guess how long the relationship lasted.

5 minutes.

The girl in my class told my "wife" that he was dating me, so she ran off.

The lesson: Having girlfriends and boyfriends in-game is pointless. Unless you want to get banned, scammed and hated, be my guest.

Elricedward.png
Barrows Items: 1x Dharok's Platelegs, 1x Veracs's Plateskirt, 1x Dharok's Greataxe, 2x Torag's Platelegs, 1x Akrisae's War Mace, 1x Ahrim's Robeskirt, 3x Akrisae's Robetop, 1x Guthan's Warspear, 1x Akrisae's Robeskirt, 1x Torag's Helm, 2x Verac's Brassard, 1x Karil's Pistol Crossbow

WOW, Ok - lets see... first off - for all of you who are like "Guys are guys, and girls are guys, there are no girls on the internet" you all need to SHUT UP. I am a girl and I play runescape, there are girls on runescape, and all you're doing is ticking them off, and for that matter, why would you want to piss a girl off, its not exactly smart. and as for the internet relationships thing, I believe that you truely can meet some great people online, you can have amazing friends, some of them in time can become closer than real life friends, however, having a friend and dating someone online are totally different things. Runescape isnt a dating service - like has been stated, but there is nothing at all wrong with having a great relationship with someone online. However, once it moves on to dating, you have to take a step back and think about what you're doing.

anyway, as for the main thing this topic was about, the whole "Do you wanna be my GF" thing gets old, fast. Ive been playing runescape for a very long time, and theres always those little immature boys that see my girl character and walk up and start asking me to be their gf. This is just plain annoying, and Ill admit when I first started playing the game, creeped me out a bit - because i was rather young. Now I try to just ignore it and walk away, but everyonce in a while, it just makes me mad that I cant just play the game without having a bunch of people 1. either telling me that im not a girl, even though I know i am or 2. asking me out / to marry them.

Take the time to realize that there are girls on runescape, and they're just as good, if not better than you boys, and that they should be respected, and not brought down by denying that they are what they are.

Excellent post, Speedsktr! You can write a rant about how guys think girls are not guys and that "no girls on the internet" crap. No seriously, I love to see it posted there because I totally agree with your post. :thumbup:

Note that I'm a guy (who plays as a MALE character, mind you), so you might think my view is confusing. But really, anyone who thinks there are no girls on teh interwebz really need to grow up. So do anyone that does this whole "GIMME GF PLOX" crap. :rolleyes:

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Hmm, you do make a valid point; the actions of a group of people shouldn't affect or discourage any other people by the majority making assumptions...in this case, girl "Runescapians" (wtf is a Runescapian...damn). However, this does not void the argument that there are many individuals who pose as female...Runescape players. I'm not talking about having a female avatar, as this is just minor and really; come on? Who cares what pixel gender your character is, I have a male account but hey, might experiment in Falador if I get bored O_O....(>.> I sound weird) I'm talking about actively pretending you are a girl 'Runescapian' (seriously hate that word), and then using it to either gain ranks within a clan for example, or 'leeching' off guilible players [idiots]. This taints how the majority view any genuine female gamers, and ruins the whole experience. I for one have been in a clan who the co-leader said he was a girl; for nearly two years. Excuse me? I kinda decided to quit after that...though I would have been sweeped anyways :P. Not naming names ofc....*cough begins with E cough*

Anyway.......too many brackets and poorly phrased but HEY!

Oh and I didn't mention the 'stage up' i.e. people posing as girls to gain personal information, or to meet with them. These people are, thankfully, a minority and even though the risk is there, it's more important to encourage and help a (hopefully) large and growing propotion of the community rather than purely attacking one or two cases.

Again.................I'm bored. Sorry :-(. Friend nearly broke her ankle just now, and decided it might be time to suddenly use the computer....she gets uhh 'socially uncooperative' (you know...) when she does stuff like this. -.-

**EDIT: She did break her ankle >.> :(. Had to take her up to the hospital AND wheel her around on the WHEELCHAIR OF PSYCHOTIC RAGE. :z....still, she's got a plaster cast now and is whining already, so she must be k. Just won't be doing any more 'uberkwlomfgSTUNTSlikeyeaaah' any more. -.-

Forgivness is for those too weak to take vengeance.

DJ Hiraku

kazukiyuki.png

I find it funny that people go around asking little pixel characters to be their girlfriend, whom they will (most likely) never see in person. It's cool to just chat with your girlfriend on runescape if you both play (and you know each other in real life) but harassing people over an online game is just sad and makes you look like a [developmentally delayed].

And the argument where girls don't exist... Well, I can see where it stems from (some guys act like girls to trick gullible players) but I still think it's wrong to generalise. I don't personally know any girls who play runescape, but I'm sure there are heaps out there.

disturbeda.png

As an adult woman, old enough to be the natural mother of my teenage step-children who's (supposedly unfair! lol) bannings led to me playing runescape to find out what was really going on in the game, I find it deeply disturbing!

I have been asked out in various forms on numerous occasions, usually only when I am on f2p. It seems to happen less now as my combat level increases so I don't think the motivation is greed.

Often, it appears to be by very young players who seem to assume that every other avatar represents a person just like themselves. My response to them is usually a polite "no ty, i'm an adult player" and some sort of warning against the dangers of those assumptions. It worries me that these kids aren't being taught that by their parents. Occasionally I'll give a sarky response about being a grey-haired great aunt! (Either usually lead to a demand for my age and then flaming comments that I should get a life..... :S)

Some occasions have been from teenage players who just want some focused attention and friendship/ support that they are not getting for whatever (sad) reason in their real lives.

On rarer occasions, my "adult player" comment has been met with "that's ok, I'm 18/19/21"..... Those players tend to continue to push that "it doesn't really mean anything.... we just like... make out sometimes and stuff" Excuse me????!!!!!! I am still old enough to be their mother! I have used the internet for longer than runescape has been around as a tool to deal with periods of separation in my real life relationships and treat any text communication as though I were saying it to that person face-to-face. It disturbs me that those players would ask for that kind of thing from another person and then say it means nothing. Perhaps there are some young women out there who are happy to feel the same way just as all of us give differing weights to our real-life encounters.

All that said, it was just such a proposition that led to me meeting someone who became an incredibly close (purely) online friend! I was about level 60 at the time and mining near a high-leveled player who I had not been game to speak to other than "Excuse me PlayerX, are you mining the mith?" A random kid asked to be my bf, I gave my usal "I'm an adult...." reply, gave my age, and the high-leveled player jumped in and we discovered we had much in common. :) Goodness knows what other players around us made of the way we played together and the slip-ups of private chat that went public! Internet relationships and friendships have their place.... anyone remember pen-pals?! lol

Just how hard is it for people to report and ignore others who ask them to be their girlfriend or boyfriend, Jagex has given everyone the possibility to do so.

Mutual love in Runescape, e-dating? Runescape isn't a dating website, but anyway, why even e-date? Humans naturally demand physical and eye contact when in love. This form of love is a total contradiction, I wonder just how painful those people must feel. Plus, you don't know who's behind the screen. Even with photos and webcams and whatever, you'd be surprised to know what photoshop and other programs can do in these days. Your own security is in danger when you e-date.

Adressing Ayisha's comment above, I don't think that saying you're an adult is a good solution here. There's many adults out there e-dating, so the people you were talking to will only take it for an "excuse" (I'm not saying you're in the wrong, but using logic to figure out their thoughts), others will take it for a lie, others for bragging, and others will take it for an extra reason as they "like experienced people".

Now adressing Speedsktr, I think the reason why many people believe there are boys and g.i.r.l.s (Guys In Real Life) on the internet, is because many guys out there make girl characters. And it's true they just decieve others, which leads them to whine and say "everyone is a guy". Some argue that you don't have to get decieved because you're not supposed to "like" them, but still, everyone can agree you don't act the same way with guys and girls. Anyone feels awkward knowing s/he's been acting weird with the wrong person. So yeah, the real problem here are guys making girl characters, but that's another topic already.

Whoops wall of text. :o

signaturemw.png

There are obviously pros and cons between both arguments.. A solidified option will never ever be reached by all as people have multiple views on the subject..

My quick input:

My girlfriend and i met at school and fell instantly in love. It was great and we got along so incredibly well within a few weeks we both had some reaaaally hardcore feelings about one another. But. Some very very unfortunate things occured and now she is overseas currently residing in the United States. We only really have Windows Messenger and Runescape as running up the phone bill is very very easy to do and texting costs a fortune in the long run. Since she is rarely on MSN (say once a week) she plays Runescape alongside of me. Easily playing 5 days a week.. But in saying this yes i do call her and text her but to avoid long international calls and texts it is very infrequent such as if i don't see her for a while. Granted, physical contact is needed but you can only try. I have stuck with her through a lot and just because some countries and an ocean or two seperate us for now, doesn't mean im willing to give up. The human heart and soul are precious things, but when they desrie, they can be the strongest things in the universe :P

What relevance does this have?

Well there have been many many many times where we have been badmouthed for "internet dating" when people just don't know the cold hard facts. Yes a lot of these people just like to have a connection. Yes they seek it through the internet. No im not saying it is right. But i guess what i am slowly trying to get across is that when i meet a lot of so called "e-daters" i ask them about their status. Most of the time they really are a couple in real life the circumstances might just be mixed up. But then again there are much much more out there who are just Mr X and Mrs Y. Two complete strangers. Trust me. Jade and I would much rather someone ask us why we act lovey than being ear bashed about it. Because then they find out we really are a couple and Runescape just is a convenient, cheap and easy to access way of communication :)

Note:

Not all people however are really boyfriend and girlfriend. I know a person who lives in the United States who is dating a boy from the Netherlands and they have been together for 9 Months.. They have never seen each other, have no phones, no Windows Messenger and only ever speak via Runescape. I would honestly really like to know how they make something like that work for 9 Goddamn Months. :ohnoes:

- AnthonyWL :thumbup:

AnthonyWL.png

99 Fishing | 99 Cooking | 99 Woodcutting | | 99 Herblore | 99 Prayer |

| 99 Runecrafting | 99 Fletching | 99 Hitpoints | 99 Range |

Youtube: AnthonyOnRS.