What would have happened if... (alternate history thread)

Necromagus

If the Holocaust didn't occur

- The Israeli state would never have been created, and thus the Middle East conflict wouldn't have occurred/been so horrific. This could've potentially prevented extremism and so on and so forth.

Then, without Israel, there'd be no OAPEC (establish after the 1967 Six Day War), and then the Middle East oil might still be worth a lot less than US$100 a barrel.

If Hitler hadn't of invaded Poland

- The depression wouldn't have ended, and it would've been a different war to end it. From my modern history classes, the depression ended with war, because war involves MASSIVE inflationary pressures (spending on weaponry, manufacturing jobs etc etc.

Japan and the US Signed a Treaty

- Australia and most of Asia/Oceania would probbers be Japanese

- Offset the creation of Nuclear/Atomic weaponry

- No Cold War

I dunno, their are heaps. I'm a bit of a history fan to be honest \'

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if the Union lost the American Civil War?

then I would be very angry and sad and we would all be hillbilly no offense anyone who lives in south i live there 2 but i am a northener.

But seriously, I will kill you all

I am back for realz this time I promise now that I am a member :p

To add on to what Darkmage said about wheather, what about the Miracle Of Dunkirk? If that hadn't happened, and the Wehrmacht had defeated the soldiers, and the Luftwaffe had been able to navigate, Hitler would probably have won the war by 1941 or 42.

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.

4. What if the Viking expeditions to the Americas would have been more successful? The climate kind of ruined it for them.
Actually, it wasn't the climate that did them in. Compared to where they came from, the climate of Newfoundland was quite pleasant and the longer days meant that they could form a productive colony. What did them in was a combination of infighting and constant hostilities with the locals.
2. What if Europeans weren't such douches?
Really hope you're making some sort of joke I'm missing :uhh:

Really hope you're making some sort of joke I'm missing :uhh:

It's Darkmage. What do you expect?

Adding to weather, winter was a key factor in many Russian military victories- In the Great Northern War against Sweden during Peter the Great's rule, against Napolean, and against Germany.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Japan and the US Signed a Treaty

- Australia and most of Asia/Oceania would probbers be Japanese

- Offset the creation of Nuclear/Atomic weaponry

- No Cold War

No. The Japanese lost against Australian forces on their own accord.

The bigger question would've been in the Australian forces in the Kokoda Track region were defeated... what then? That would've changed the face of Australia dramatically more than Japan and the US having a treaty.

Hm, are we supposed to post an entire sequence of events, or merely an alternate outcome and have others speculate on its effects?

Well, I'll say this anyway: What if the Hindenburg hadn't crashed?

Kudos to anyone who gets the reference.

Pendragon :D

What if... The modern garbage disposal system wasn't created (thinking back to the times when people literally dumped it out their windows)

seetons.png

Feel free to HYT me in-game =)

~~3,483rd to 99 Thieving, Feb 22, 2008~~

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." - Calvin (& Hobbes)

Ironic.

What if Hitler had remained a peaceful leader and didn't commit genocide?

What if electricity wasn't invented?

What if the nuclear bomb had never been invented?

What if nobody invented computers?

sig5235ro7.jpg

Yeah, it was sort of a joke, but I am being serious. IN the time period of about 1400-1800 (?) they were pretty mean to the Africans, Asians, North Americans, and South Americans. The stories of what the Portuguese and Spanish did to the natives of America is terrifying. The French weren't so bad as they chose to coexist rather than dominate. Also, the Europeans had a "supremacy"-like mind-set where they thought they were somehow above the rest of the world (which they were but they didn't have to be so cruel!). They also introduced mass slavery based on skin color.

Yeah, I know other people have been bad too, but I'm just wondering what if they had been a bit "nicer".

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

What if the human race had never evolved beyond slightly more intelligent apes? What species would be dominant? And would they have ruined the planet as much as we have?

Whichever species got fingers and thumbs first :)

What would happen if the British never colonised India or colonised America?

world2isntthathardby4.pngI think merchanting is extinct....

lordofthehauntedminestextcb6.png Completed haunted mine at level 75.

Barrows Drops: Dh platelegs, Guth helm, Karils cb, Torags legs

-------------RETIRED------------------

What if the Enlightnment never happened?

That's a good one actually. Ignoring the obvious set back on philosophy, I think reason, and probably science would be set back a few hundred years. People would maybe be more religious, and we'd be less advanced as a civilization.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

What if the human race had never evolved beyond slightly more intelligent apes? What species would be dominant? And would they have ruined the planet as much as we have?

I don't know of any other candidates that could ruin things like we can. But you never know.

On a similar theme, I want to know how things would've turned out if the Permian-Triassic extinction event, the biggest ever, never occured (killed up to 96% marine species, 70% terrestrial species :ohnoes: ). There would possibly be no such thing as dinosaurs as the extinction opened up niches for them to fill.

If anyone's interested[/url]":3u24d8rg]The terrible event had been lost in the amnesia of time for eons. It was only recently that paleontologists, like hikers stumbling upon an unmarked grave in the woods, noticed a startling pattern in the fossil record: Below a certain point in the accumulated layers of earth, the rock shows signs of an ancient world teeming with life. In more recent layers just above that point, signs of life all but vanish.

Somehow, most of the life on Earth perished in a brief moment of geologic time roughly 250 million years ago. Scientists call it the Permian-Triassic extinction or "the Great Dying" -- not to be confused with the better-known Cretaceous-Tertiary extinction that signaled the end of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago. Whatever happened during the Permian-Triassic period was much worse: No class of life was spared from the devastation. Trees, plants, lizards, proto-mammals, insects, fish, mollusks, and microbes -- all were nearly wiped out. Roughly 9 in 10 marine species and 7 in 10 land species vanished. Life on our planet almost came to an end.

There was a short series on the Discovery Channel (I have it on DVD :D ) called, "The Future Is Wild", about the geological, climatory, and most intsresting, biological changes that could take place on Earth in the future. There was a segment for 5 million years, 100 million, and 200 million years. According to them, in 200 million years, the "new humans", that is, the next sentient species, will be a form of terrestrial squid, evolving from swinging throguh tree ( :XD: ) to building civilizations.

They have been dubbed, "Squibbons"

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

angel2w.gif

There was a short series on the Discovery Channel (I have it on DVD :D ) called, "The Future Is Wild", about the geological, climatory, and most intsresting, biological changes that could take place on Earth in the future. There was a segment for 5 million years, 100 million, and 200 million years. According to them, in 200 million years, the "new humans", that is, the next sentient species, will be a form of terrestrial squid, evolving from swinging throguh tree ( :XD: ) to building civilizations.

They have been dubbed, "Squibbons"

I remember seeing that on tv a couple months back; it was pretty interesting except it seemed like a bunch of crap for some part, but you never know what nature could do.
Dominator428.png

Uh, mate...

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

What would happen if the roman goverment never converted to christanity?

What would happen if the english guy who sugested the existence of atoms (forgot his name) never had been born?

What would happen if the nazis actually won WW2?

What would happen if the english guy who sugested the existence of atoms (forgot his name) never had been born?

John Dalton? Well I think atomic theory would have sprung up but perhaps at a later time. People thought of matter in a particulate nature centuries before Dalton. He just formulated Atomic theory which (the core of it, anyway) stands to this day.

John Dalton? Well I think atomic theory would have sprung up but perhaps at a later time. People thought of matter in a particulate nature centuries before Dalton. He just formulated Atomic theory which (the core of it, anyway) stands to this day.

I'm aware a greek phlosopher thought of this it is just something intresting to think about.

I'm aware a greek phlosopher thought of this it is just something intresting to think about.

Democritus? Yeah, nothing would have changed. It was more like this:

man1: I discovered atoms

man2: You're right

man3: some guy before suggested this thousands of years ago, but it had no influence on your present day discovery.

man1: Yeah, but let's give him some credit.

Something like that.

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

Wow, just...wow....Do you seriously think humanity invented electricity? Or was that just improperly worded, did you mean what if electricity was never discovered and/or harnessed and used?

whalenuke.png

angel2w.gif