Tip.it Times Presents: Double Feature!

MPM

Never been really into clans, and the 2nd article, starting off with the title Dear Jagex, reminded me of the ranters on RSOF, starting with being 'nice'.

Luckily it was all but a lame RSOF rant and I think the article is pretty succesful.

tipitavatarnb0.jpg

..Just my luck..

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are really that upset about the updates then just quit runescape will be a better place without your whining, that was the reason jagex did this in the first place.

No jagex was doing it to stop RWT'ers. And they succeeded a bit, but it came at a hard price. And jagex wants player feedback so we just keep giving it.

First of all, good articles.

I only currently joined a clan, and even just chatting while training a skill is a reason to have those around.

But with the second article I don't agree completely.

Sure, giving away presents to strangers or friends can make you feel nice, and help them. But why is it that people think that presents always have to consist of material wealth?

Ok, you can't give your friend a santa hat as a christmas present anymore. But doesn't just helping him out give you the same feeling? Advice can sometimes be more valuable than any item on rs. In some cases, your advice on how to get money for a party hat will probably help your friend more than just giving it to him, for when he has that coveted paper hat, but wants the bones for 99 prayer now, he can just restart what you advised him to do.

And sometimes, presents can even come in the form of actions. I was ranging some troll generals the other day when an unprepared lvl 71 walked in, hoping to complete the troll stronghold quest by killing a general himself. He was unaware of the fact that these monsters would tear through his armor with constant 20+ hits (up to 42, btw), and he could pray melee, nor range.

So I gave him my spare food I brought just to be safe(under the trade limit), ranged a general to almost half hp and let his dragon long specials do the trick. I also showed him a spot where he could side step if taking several hard blows, enabling him to safely eat to full hp again. And with my help and advice, he succeeded.

Sure, I didn't give him 200m, but he was happy with my help, and I was just as happy being able to help someone out.

Edit: On a sidenote

-Davidium:well i'm sure there are other alternatives to combat rwt...if jagex was determined and committed enough to get rid of rwt without harming the larger portion of runescapians im sure they can think of something, what with how advanced technology is becoming.

-

I too have mixed feelings about the updates, but it is kind of hypocretic to assume jagex can find better methods with their "advanced technology", when you can't think of them yourself. This is nothing personal, but I hope you (and others who think like this) can see my point.

the 2nd article, i have to say, was one of the best i've read in a long time... it really sums up the trade limit... you have to ask yourself... what would you rather? being able to trade what you like to your friends when you like and have some gold farmers sat by the yews or not have either?

Of course, there is always the flipside to this, you have to commend jagex for finally taking serious action against the gold farmers after months of banning... im kind of torn at the minute as to what i think :-#

~Today is just yesterday's Tomorrow~

hillboy_sam.png

hillboy_sam.gif

truly inspirational turtlefemm you go girl =D>

it brought a tear to my eye, i used to save up a mountain of things that would add some benefit to the lower level just starting to play.

great satisfaction in doing that, i remember when i came out of boot camp and didnt know or have anything, i was taken under someones wing and until the changes, i always paid it forward.

let hope some action is taken about this.

thanks turt your a star

I just have to inform some of you chauvinistic readers; Turtle is a WOMAN (surprisingly that a female can write that good aint it?) :XD:

Perhaps the logical response to that rather bizarre addition is this: I must inform some of you feminist readers; not all mistaken men are chauvinists. :P Also if we want the real irony, your closing comment on the quality of turtlefemm's writing is wrong: "surprisingly that"?! Surely just surprising? :P

About the second article written by turtlefemm:

It is very sad to see one of the most enjoyable parts of RuneScape disappear. It is in my opinion necessary to prevent RuneScape's total breakdown.

"Soloscape" that's what really struck me. It is an attitude that many people have in this and other games. It may look like JaGex is accepting (or even promoting) this way of playing, but in fact they do just the opposite.

With the new updates the ability to buy RuneScape goldpieces from websites is banned. Peope who previously bought goldpieces will be 'forced' to develop a different gaming style or leave RuneScape. This can only have positive effects on the community.

You should also not overlook recently introduced 'assist system'.

By the way, we still have the party hall in Falador, wich will allow you to give everyone a fair chance. :P

~Zellaz

Member.png

turtlefemm,

your heartbreak is felt by many.

although true that there are still many ways of helping and giving,

the joy of random-giving is pretty much gone.

but hey, the good-hearted ones in the RS community will find other ways to fill that void... even in the "fair, communistic-style" world of RS.

Give on!

No doubt clans in Runescape don't survive. There is a chat for groups of people to chat into, but there is no REAL clan or guild system, nothing tangible to support clans. 'Clan' chat is just a silly name Jagex came up with to make it look like there actually was a clan system, but there is none, it's just some silly chatroom that you can get in or out of as you please. It wouldn't have been much harder to make it into a real guild system instead of a make-believe one; high requirements and cost to make a guild(so that there isn't a billion of noobish guilds, but a fewer bigger ones); logo and name on top of your username(optional, but nice to have), a little of space where the leader can write things about the guild for newbies to learn(Like: 'Fishing clan, come fish with us at world 76! No flamming between members. Have fun!), a money-support system(clan members donate money to level up guild or buy special guild thingies), etc..

2480+ total

Great pair of articles.

Clans have always been an integral part of MMORPGs. Player interaction is always richer when done on a huge scale, and belonging to an organization is a great way to fulfill such interaction. This article summed up many facts about clans, as well as echoing my opinions on the subject.

Turtle's letter to Jagex struck a chord with me, but I felt that she underrepresented Jagex's reasons for taking such drastic measures. It's not like Jagex felt like taking away gift-giving for fun or because they're cruel and heartless; they had to do it to preserve the future of Runescape. Which would feel worse, this loss of some of the things that made Runescape great, or the complete and utter destruction of the game? All I know is that the latter would cause the former, and I'd certainly rather have the former rather than both happen to Runescape.

Astaroth51.png

signc6.png

I will let this be in memory of trading. I will never forget when my RS aunt katryna gave me a zammy plate (worth 2.2 million at the time) Because she ran out of bankspace and I like flashy things.

Or when a "friend" who i trusted with my red party hat scammed me, and trapical out of the kindness of his heart offered me his purple party hat and I now wear it proud upon my head.

I have lots of knick knacks in my bank that are prescious gifts...

Blue flowers from a close rl friends 99 farm party.

a slayer mask, Dbow and Dbooties from our resident slayer turtle..

And my smithing cape which was also helped along greatly by friends.

lots of countless gifts from Vhellcat, Turtlefemm, Katryna and bwareofmef among countless others are very precious to me. Which is why turtles article is very close to my heart.

I also got to think that guy who lost a fury who afked at gargoyles :lol:

The game defended our freedom from the oppression of macros at the cost of our civil liberties (Trading)

now I will wear my gifts with pride. Not because they are expensive (in some cases i never wear them) But because they now are symbolic of a time of runescape that the game was closer and more personal.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

First of all, good articles.

I only currently joined a clan, and even just chatting while training a skill is a reason to have those around.

But with the second article I don't agree completely.

Sure, giving away presents to strangers or friends can make you feel nice, and help them. But why is it that people think that presents always have to consist of material wealth?

Ok, you can't give your friend a santa hat as a christmas present anymore. But doesn't just helping him out give you the same feeling? Advice can sometimes be more valuable than any item on rs. In some cases, your advice on how to get money for a party hat will probably help your friend more than just giving it to him, for when he has that coveted paper hat, but wants the bones for 99 prayer now, he can just restart what you advised him to do.

And sometimes, presents can even come in the form of actions. I was ranging some troll generals the other day when an unprepared lvl 71 walked in, hoping to complete the troll stronghold quest by killing a general himself. He was unaware of the fact that these monsters would tear through his armor with constant 20+ hits (up to 42, btw), and he could pray melee, nor range.

So I gave him my spare food I brought just to be safe(under the trade limit), ranged a general to almost half hp and let his dragon long specials do the trick. I also showed him a spot where he could side step if taking several hard blows, enabling him to safely eat to full hp again. And with my help and advice, he succeeded.

Sure, I didn't give him 200m, but he was happy with my help, and I was just as happy being able to help someone out.

Edit: On a sidenote

-Davidium:well i'm sure there are other alternatives to combat rwt...if jagex was determined and committed enough to get rid of rwt without harming the larger portion of runescapians im sure they can think of something, what with how advanced technology is becoming.

-

I too have mixed feelings about the updates, but it is kind of hypocretic to assume jagex can find better methods with their "advanced technology", when you can't think of them yourself. This is nothing personal, but I hope you (and others who think like this) can see my point.

+1....

I wanna say that thats pretty much the way i see it. Im sure getting a free phat and/or santa is great. But your being given something that you didn't well earn. Im sure if you have a great friend you should be able too help by giving them items, and you can - just a limited amount. Therefore the items you give them should be for them too boost there skills or make more money. If they need help with making an item such as a glory you have assist, and soon JaGeX will implement ways around sharing expensive items like those from GWD bosses.

In reference too the first article clans support eachother. These recent updates although on the surface seem too be against clans (and they somewhat are) also benifit clans a fair bit. A new Multi-combat area with combat levels needed too enter supports clans fully. You can't solo in BH.

The Clan wars area is a much needed/wanted addition too runescape. The assist system means that you can go too a higher level character in your clan too ask for assistance in making/enchanting items and the such. Without a clan you would have too look through your friends too see who had the avaliable level, then get some time when theyre online, then get some of there time. The fact is joining is a clan is a long-term investment for the new runescape.

Im sorry turtlefemm - it was a very touching article but i don't share your view. This update means no RWT, no bots and no noobs bugging me for "phr33 st00f. A good read on both anyhow!

I liked both articles, but I especially liked the second one...

*Ts Stormrage comes at me with full dh and 1 hp*

Actually, I think both of them were great...heh...heh...

iHogi.png

I think some points were being missed with Turtlefemm's article. She gave away items to people she felt deserved it - not a whole group of hands being held out at the party hall (or stomping feet in this case).

Remember the people who originally got party hats - they didn't "work" for it either - it was a holiday gift that became a rare item because current players deem it so. For some, that party hat is just that, a paper hat worth less than 10 GP alched, but giving away that paper hat to someone who sees it as something completely different - an item of "wealth", a item from a time gone by and so forth - the value varies greatly depending on the person's point of view. The fact gifts can be anything from barley malt worth 2 GP at GE but worth a whole lot more to the person needing it right then and there for a quest - remember those people? The ones who shouted ridiculously high prices buying items they wanted? (I had a friend pay 10k for a steel spear because she didn't want to wait around.)

It's not just about giving gifts, but as someone mentioned - items were lent between friends. Just recently I was doing at clue at the Bandit Camp where all I needed was the clue, sextant/chart/watch, spade and I defeated the Zammy mage just to find out my next clue was the emote clue at Bandit Camp (same spot) - requiring blue vambs, addy square and rune pickaxe - my wonderful friend offered to come out and lend me these clue items so I wouldn't have to go and bank - but alas, couldn't - the value was over 30K. YES I could have (and did) bank to get the items but I hope you aren't missing the point - she wanted to HELP me out and save time by running those items to me, something we've done in the past and now can no longer do.

The 30K limit is ridiculous. Can't even borrow a dscimmy from someone (not that I need to but I have lent mine out). The "community" feeling, helping others by lending items, or giving out items to see the exclamations from a grateful person - gone.

Trading raw for finished product (yew longs for supplies anyone?) has also been squashed. The assist system does not help you if the person has the skill level to make it them self BUT DOESN'T WANT TO! People already have 99 fletching and just want to trade their supplies for finished products to alch their way to 99 magic.

Don't be so quick to believe other options weren't on the table and other solutions weren't offered - this one was the "hard line" squash to not only gold farmers/RWT but to good people who played the game legit.

Yes I understand, as do many others, Jagex TRIED to think of 'solutions' when they were going to bring down the hammer on RS by implementing the exchange, assist system etc... but they must admit - they did overlook a lot of things as I have mentioned above. Perhaps not quite dawning on them, that this WAS a massive multi-player COMMUNITY helping each other out in various ways that these "new" solutions don't cover.

Here's something that hopefully everyone realizes, there wouldn't be any business for these gold farmers if there weren't players in RS that used their services - the whole "supply and demand" is what made this possible. The people who used these services, got what they wanted from it - and probably still playing the game enjoying their ill-gotten goodies.

Vine is waving at me. What? What was that?! It gave me the tendril! :o

Vhellcat.png

No doubt clans in Runescape don't survive. There is a chat for groups of people to chat into, but there is no REAL clan or guild system, nothing tangible to support clans. 'Clan' chat is just a silly name Jagex came up with to make it look like there actually was a clan system, but there is none, it's just some silly chatroom that you can get in or out of as you please. It wouldn't have been much harder to make it into a real guild system instead of a make-believe one; high requirements and cost to make a guild(so that there isn't a billion of noobish guilds, but a fewer bigger ones); logo and name on top of your username(optional, but nice to have), a little of space where the leader can write things about the guild for newbies to learn(Like: 'Fishing clan, come fish with us at world 76! No flamming between members. Have fun!), a money-support system(clan members donate money to level up guild or buy special guild thingies), etc..
Ya... Other MMORPGS *coughWOWcough* implement actual clans...
If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

I'd like to start off by stating i loved both articles and both were well written.

That said i myself am not a fan of clans, to me the only purpose to be in one would be pking, but bounty hunter is lame. You can have experiences with people, and have friends without being in a clan.

human nature to cluster into groups for whatever purposes they have in mind

to me it seems like such a unnatural way to interact with others. I am not in a clan and i have only been in one which consisted solely of my friends in which we would basically do nothing other than idle banter. (besides i like to think of myself as a individual not one of many) the people i meet and talk to i have meet randomly as i was working on my skills or standing around in verrock.

on the other hand clans such as the one tip.it has are great because they organize events that are fun to go to. also it creates a community in which people work together instead of fighting amongst each other.

the thing is clans will most likely (if they haven't already) be destroyed by the inability to actually work together as a community through giving things to it's members

as for the second article

i think das says it best

The game defended our freedom from the oppression of macros at the cost of our civil liberties (Trading)

Jajex now has something in common with governments run by tyrants. but we have to ask our selfs, whats worse here, the disease or the cure?

I mean i reallly hated macros, still do. those stupid things made woodcutting impossible got away with disobeying the rules omg! HATE :evil: HATE :evil: HATE!!!! :evil:

um..where was i? oh yeah. but the new way runescape is set up is just ridiculous. far worse than anything a macro ever did.

To be honest i wasn't much of a pker and i never merchanted. but that doesn't mean i don't feel bad for people who enjoyed those things. And the updates don't only effect them, they effect every single player. things that used to be done in the wild are now impossible because of revenats (is that how you spell it? oh who cares they are lame). The economy is way down because of the grand exchange, and no ability to have other markets. and the assist system was the worst of all for me. why bother training a skill if you can get someone else to lend you their skill that they worked for, not you. it may have not changed much as players could already trade raw materials for products but what it did change was perspective. It became much easier to do this, when before it was risky and i would rather make something myself than take that risk. now i would rather use someones elses skills and thus assist introduced a new form of begging. Especially now that you cannot give people things you have made. I enjoyed giveing new players full steel. it made me feel good to give. Queltar makes a good point, however, in his article "Maybe ItÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s Not About the Money?" about why to train skills. Dang he's smart.

Some of you may say that the update is good because people won't be begging. I haven't noticed a decrease in begging only the amount people beg for. furthermore if someone asked for something i would never give anything to them. if i gave a gift it was because i wanted to. the assist system pretty much requires them to ask.

These updates do not in any way replace what was lost. All the updates to stop unbalanced trade are horrific atrocities to what was once a great game.

These are sad days in runescapes history :cry: i agree with Turtlefemm

Why do i continue to play?

because i shouldn't have to stop playing the game i loved because of stupid jajex

2imak3l.png

Great pair of articles.

Turtle's letter to Jagex struck a chord with me, but I felt that she underrepresented Jagex's reasons for taking such drastic measures. It's not like Jagex felt like taking away gift-giving for fun or because they're cruel and heartless; they had to do it to preserve the future of Runescape. Which would feel worse, this loss of some of the things that made Runescape great, or the complete and utter destruction of the game? All I know is that the latter would cause the former, and I'd certainly rather have the former rather than both happen to Runescape.

the former causes the latter as well. :cry:

2imak3l.png

turtlefemm is so right.... RIP runescape and a sad welcome to "soloscape"

:(

d_e_l_u_x_e2.gif

who ever said nothing is impossible has obviously never tried to slam a revolving door...

(\__/)

( O.o )This is Bunny.

( > < )Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.