What ticks you off most in a video game?

underu2000

Pretty much any game that doesn't support multiplayer, so basically all RPG's. I mean, I like campaign modes and all, but I want to get my full $60-80 of money's worth.

Sacraficing any aspect of a game just to reach a deadline. I think it's a bit obvious that game deadlines are quite flexible, unless of course you change it last second.

Graphics over gameplay pisses me off so much. Shiny objects may entertain that monkey over there, but I'll stare for about a second before I see that enemy whose brains im supposed to blow out.

RTS on a console. I mean really, who even plays them? An RTS on a computer is aweosme, but then minute you transfer that over to a console you ruin.

Releasing a game for a console but not designing it specifically for any console/the console it's released on.

Putting something in as a major game aspect, but making it extremely annoying to use (Driving in Mass Effect, anyone?)

Trying to make a cartoon into high-def 3D. This is what I am most worried about for Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts.

Repetitive gameplay/controls, like those in Assassin's Creed. It is an awesome game for the first few hours before you get bored with the controls.

Companies not bothering to follow a game up with patches to fix any bugs.

Or a company releasing a patch that gratly affects the game in a major way (Bungie with the melee fix for Halo 3 is the exception to this).

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

someone who compare consoles to other consoles. people, just play your own damn game! i got criticized for being a nintendo fanboy (which i'm not) but i hardly see anything wrong with being a fanboy. these stereotypes are getting annoying.

Players on Wifi (particularly Mario Kart Wii) who go on Worldwide servers just because they think its cool to see someone playing from another country, then seriously suck at the game.

Boss battles where you have to accumulate items or press several switches during the battle in order to defeat it. I really prefer killing the guy with brute force than pressing 5 buttons to activate some one hit KO weapon.

When enemies that are supposed to be ownage are caught behind a wall which makes them sitting ducks. Runescape bosses are the perfect example (I'm looking at you, Jad).

When in CoD4 players randomly open up polls to kick an innocent player from the game just for laughs.

Pointless rank systems that give players no advantage in online play (i.e. VR rating in Mario Kart Wii, or prestige in CoD4).

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Boss battles where you have to accumulate items or press several switches during the battle in order to defeat it. I really prefer killing the guy with brute force than pressing 5 buttons to activate some one hit KO weapon.

Spider-man 2. Dr. Octopus. Eurgh.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

someone who compare consoles to other consoles. people, just play your own damn game! i got criticized for being a nintendo fanboy (which i'm not) but i hardly see anything wrong with being a fanboy. these stereotypes are getting annoying.

Dunno if you've ever seen a true fanboy, but they are brutal. Nintendo fanboys are normally the worst, since Nintendo's target audience is generally younger gamers. They can also be insanely hypocritical. For example, when it turned out that the Wii was going to have worse hardware to tone down the price of the console, everyone on the Nintendo forums was saying

"Gameplay>Graphics" in a very arrogant way. When Red Steel screens came out with semi-good looking graphic, everyone went "OMG CHECK OUT THOSE GRAPHICS, SEE THE WII DOES HAVE GOOD GRAPHICS YOU XBOX NERDS."

jjroxlu7.jpg

A poorly designed battle system. This really gets the me after awhile, it can ruin the whole game.

Bosses that don't kill you. Honestly if your dumb enough to be beaten on a boss fight, you should die.

Incredibly long boss fights that when you're just about the win the boss instantly ko's your team.

Pointless boss fights that serve no furtherment to the story or drop any sort of good reward.

Video games lack cookies! (well most of them.)

• 2 weeks later...

I really hate it when I get stuck on a game boss or level because of the sheer difficulty of it. Don't get me wrong I like a challenge but I just really hate when I've been playing the same level/boss for over 5 hours :x For example, I have been stuck on the final boss on Ninja Gaiden 2 since last night -.-

Bad voice acting. I judge a game on its voice acting, so there. And related to that, many commentators in sports games annoy me. The prize goes to The MC in Fusion Frenzy (no, I didn't buy the game, blargh), the most annoy [bleep] in human history.

Characters with stupid names, annoying hairstyles, or as said before, idiotic dialogue.

Well, even if voice is a small part of a game.. *Bad* voice acting ruins the entire atmosphere of the game and can make you hate the characters for being/sounding so corny or dumb.

I think the worst cliche in video game voice acting is the "clueless girl on an epic adventure who constantly asks 'what is that' or 'it's not safe in here' 'we shouldn't be here' -.- Seriously, why do developers have some psychological complex over females? Stop making them all weak and needy of protection.

They're a part of the adventure, stop treating them like they're a possession of the other male party members. Especially korean MMO devs and american RPG devs do that way too much.

Minimal and professional-sounding voice acting like in Diablo 1 is pretty much perfect IMO.

When just making one mistake in a level means you need to restart the whole level.

Long intro's that will repeat every time you get a game over/turn on the game that cannot be skipped even though you saw the stupid thing 20 times.

A small part in a level/race/whatever that is just impossible/very hard to do.

QQers. (crybabies, essentially).

Especially when its on a PvP server in an M rated game. I mean, you're supposed to be 18+ to play this and you're crying and swearing up a storm because someone killed you... on a PvP server? Yeah may want to grow up a bit.

Seriously I've gotten so much of this its unbelievable. While most times its funny those kind of people do piss me off.

Agreed. What's worse is when they come back with a bunch of friends to kill you and a) harass you continually because you couldn't kill 5 guys or B) cry even more because you destroyed them all and "won't let them train" or something to that effect.

Also I hate RPGs where I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere, only to find I'm stuck doing even more [cabbage] for another few hours to move on. Adding onto that, when the system freezes after I do get somewhere (since I'm not a big fan of saving often). I only mention this because I found my bro's old copy of Fable and played it for a few hours last night, only to have it lock up and lose my [cabbage].. /pissed

Minimal and professional-sounding voice acting like in Diablo 1 is pretty much perfect IMO.

Best voice acting I have ever heard. When I first opened the door to the Butcher and he said "fresh meat" in that low growling voice, lumberd over, rose his cleaver, and my character fell down with that ear shattering scream. I almost wet myself and had nightmares for weeks.

But back on topic, Bad voice acting and lacking single player are the two major faults I have with most of todays games.

Best voice acting I have ever heard. When I first opened the door to the Butcher and he said "fresh meat" in that low growling voice, lumberd over, rose his cleaver, and my character fell down with that ear shattering scream. I almost wet myself and had nightmares for weeks.

But back on topic, Bad voice acting and lacking single player are the two major faults I have with most of todays games.

There are so many good games that are multiplayer only though...

It's the opposite for me. If a game has good single-player but has crappy or no multiplayer, I'm only renting it, unless it's a total classic like Bioshock or Half Life.

jjroxlu7.jpg

When game play is 80% walking/moving, 5% fights, 5% NPC's talking, 5% easy to play, and 5% for the other category.

Annoying.

Hmm im curious, what game is 80% walking?

keen.png

When game play is 80% walking/moving, 5% fights, 5% NPC's talking, 5% easy to play, and 5% for the other category.

Annoying.

aren't most RPGs like that? :?

Naa not the decent ones, Oblivion, Diablo, Fable.

keen.png

Annoying.

aren't most RPGs like that? :?

Naa not the decent ones, Oblivion, Diablo, Fable.

Wow you suck at Oblivion and Fable.

Wow you suck at Oblivion and Fable.

Wow you suck at making an intelligent post.

How about you quit dishing out moronic insults and elaborate?

And yes i know most rpg's contain a lot of walking around from place to place, but not 80% like the op said, games like Oblivion and Fable contain a lot more fightning different monsters with the emphasis on leveling the different combat skills as well as farming different materials for other skills.

keen.png

Actually, Oblivion is a [cabbage] load of walking compared to anything else.

You can do the whole game with very few fights, due to scaled leveling.

Hell, I know I do very little fighting in Oblivion, I prefer to go through as quick as possible, and Deathly Visage (Invisibility for 35 secs) coupled with 100 Alteration makes that possible (somewhat low mp cost for the spell).

So yeah, it being about 80% walking is probably true. Alot of the quest locations are a pain in the arse to get to. Even with fast traveling to a nearby town (or discovered place which you have to find in the first place), plus you have to find all the Deadra(sp?) shrines and such. (Which only 1 is found during the main quest)

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198