New Forum Bugs - July 1st, 2008, 8:10 pm (UTC +10hr)

I just discovered I'm unable to tweak my signature at this time, and I'm certain this is affecting everyone else with an elaborate signature. Before, it had a "counted by what would be displayed" system. Now, it has a "counted by actual BBcode and everything" system.

What caused me to post about this? There is no way to maintain my current signature from the rollback, if I wish to tweak it at this time. I'd love to be able to update it with a couple things, but until whoever's handling this fixes it, I'm stuffed.

(BTW, I'm not particularly angry, unlike how this post sounds... I'm just bugged by how my text doesn't connect with my stat sig, which was apparently caused by my request to the update script on RuneWeb to update my stats.)

~Mr. D. V. Devnull

(@Ginger: Thank you for teaching me I'm going to need to hit the Preview a bit more often now. LOL!)

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you please make it so that we can use hide tags again? A lot of threads and guides are a mess because hide tags don't work.

And oh, this might not be a big priority, but, FIX THE SMILIES=).

Don't know if this has been said or not, but everytime I post or log in, I get an error message. However, my post still goes through but I have to re-open the forums everytime it does.

For a quick fix with the smilies, maybe just add the smiley codes to the censor. The censor would convert it to the image link surrounded by the tags. It wouldn't be exactly, the "cleanest", but it should work for now.

j0xPu5R.png

I personally find it pretty funny how many people were begging us to switch to phpBB3 and now that we do, we get complaints about it XD

But on a more serious note, please be patient you guys. As several other Staff members have already stated, our techies and Staff members have worked extremely hard to restore the forums. I'm sure a few of them need to catch up on some sleep and then we can start chipping away at sorting through some of the kinks here and there. We will try our best to make the forums look and feel a bit more like the old ones so hang in there!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Believe me, I love the speed and ease-of-access of the new forums, but the old look was classic, and I know at least I felt at home seeing the home page. The new set up just looks like something churned off the forum factory line. If the old look was achievable then I would have no complaints.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I personally find it pretty funny how many people were begging us to switch to phpBB3 and now that we do, we get complaints about it XD

Thought I was the only one laughing.icon_lol.gif

Can you please make it so that we can use hide tags again? A lot of threads and guides are a mess because hide tags don't work.

Hide tags were a custom bbcode, although they cause massive irritation in posts, I'd prefer the skins to be updated first, as it is the real thing causing the headaches.

The new set up just looks like something churned off the forum factory line. If the old look was achievable then I would have no complaints.

If anyone had looked at what the default skin was on phpbb3, many people would have been deterred from suggesting to transfer, but since we have dedicated admins and mods, we just assumed we'd get around 10 skins easily, though under the circumstances I don't think anyone has the right to complain (constructive criticism is fine but the majority are complaining) for a better skin as of yet.

- EDIT -

Links, when you click on it, make it a target_blank link instead of sending us to it in the same tab/window, so freaking annoying.

I want that rs name thing on the side that you could click and see the stats back

We will have to wait a while for that feature to return. At the moment, Tip.It's Staff is working hard to ensure that all the bugs in the forum are handled and dealt with.

~Mr. D. V. Devnull

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Some of the bugs that I've noticed:

1) If you're online, the "Quote" dialog is superimposed over the "Online" tag. Might be tricky to move it to the Left side, since in reality, the Online tag and our user profile were initially on the Right (phpbb3).

2) Avatar box area is horrendously wide. At a guess, I'd say 200px; shouldn't be more than 120.

3) Join date is in full, instead of Month/Year. This might stretch the box.

4)

after post for signature box is a bit over-the-top, in my humble opinion; this could be the *lowest* priority thing, but it'd be nice to see it replaced with dashes.

I'll post more bugs as I notice them. Watch this space.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Noticed an issue with the hide tags. I tried to hide all the 2006 and 2007 Hidden Updates together, but the first hide tag just ends at the first available [/hide].

Example:

[hide=The Stuff1][hide=The Stuff2]This will not hide properly.[/hide][/hide]

Shows as:

For a bigger example, see Hidden Updates. :P

~The Cow~

1.png
generic_signature.png

1) If you're online, the "Quote" dialog is superimposed over the "Online" tag. Might be tricky to move it to the Left side, since in reality, the Online tag and our user profile were initially on the Right (phpbb3)..

Your other suggestions aren't exactly "up my ally" so I can't comment on those. But I can say that we will be fixing the above bug you mentioned. As you said, all of the poster information was originally on the right side so the "Online" tag just got left out in the move! We should be fixing that soon.

Noticed an issue with the hide tags. I tried to hide all the 2006 and 2007 Hidden Updates together, but the first hide tag just ends at the first available [/hide].

Example:

Shows as:

For a bigger example, see Hidden Updates. :P

~The Cow~

Right now nested hide tags are not working (which is what the problem is). Hopefully that will be fixed soon :) Thanks you guys!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

I informed Laikrob over the IRC about this problem, but I thought it best to post about it regardless.

Forum sent emails aren't the 'NoReply@w/eitwas.com', it's not just a whole bunch of letters;

[email protected]

Hence there's no real clarification it's from Tip.It, very easy to exploit this. :|

- EDIT -

Not sure, but when posting an image, it is automatically reduced to a thumbnail size, whether or not in hide tags. Really annoying.

Hiya, Tripsis... ::'

Okay, I see some fixing of the signature handling system took place. However, it still needs work. As of my last check, which is posted within what is at http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=744120&p=5810380#p5810380 due to a little misplacement (SORRY! :oops: ...) on my part, I found out the system is reading my signature as being 296 displayed characters, when it should be reading as only 215 displayed characters. My method for finding this out is copying the displayed signature at the bottom of any of my posts (not the underlying code) and using the counting script that is located at http://www.javascriptkit.com/script/script2/charcount.shtml to get the exact count. Now, I could understand this forum's scripts penalizing 20 per image, if any at all... but 86??? :uhh: ... In all seriousness, can you PLEASE have someone fix this??? The signature mod here should only be counting what will be displayed, not any of the code tags that comprise the final product. (Yes, I will admit this can lead to some minor length abuses, but anyone making a legal signature isn't going to be making the actual code longer than twice the 255 displayed limit, TBH.) :-s

As for this...

I informed Laikrob over the IRC about this problem, but I thought it best to post about it regardless.

Forum sent emails aren't the 'NoReply@w/eitwas.com', it's not just a whole bunch of letters;

[email protected]

Hence there's no real clarification it's from Tip.It, very easy to exploit this. :|

YIKES!!! :shock: ... Nice catching that... I'll have to watch out until such time as it is fixed then. :?

Now, pardon me while I run from the ferrets ... <*DVD screams :o and runs far, far away.*>

~Mr. D. V. Devnull

[email protected]

Thank you, we will hopefully fix that tonight or tomorrow :)

Hiya, Tripsis... ::'

Okay, I see some fixing of the signature handling system took place. However, it still needs work. As of my last check, which is posted within what is at http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=744120&p=5810380#p5810380 due to a little misplacement (SORRY! :oops: ...) on my part, I found out the system is reading my signature as being 296 displayed characters, when it should be reading as only 215 displayed characters. My method for finding this out is copying the displayed signature at the bottom of any of my posts (not the underlying code) and using the counting script that is located at http://www.javascriptkit.com/script/script2/charcount.shtml to get the exact count. Now, I could understand this forum's scripts penalizing 20 per image, if any at all... but 86??? :uhh: ... In all seriousness, can you PLEASE have someone fix this??? The signature mod here should only be counting what will be displayed, not any of the code tags that comprise the final product. (Yes, I will admit this can lead to some minor length abuses, but anyone making a legal signature isn't going to be making the actual code longer than twice the 255 displayed limit, TBH.) :-s

As for this...

[email protected]

YIKES!!! :shock: ... Nice catching that... I'll have to watch out until such time as it is fixed then. :?

Now, pardon me while I run from the ferrets ... <*DVD screams :o and runs far, far away.*>

~Mr. D. V. Devnull

I'll poke our techies about that - thanks. And ferrets are cute :(

Posted Image

I'll poke our techies about that - thanks.

You're VERY welcome. I'm gonna be glad to have the siggy system fixed too. :D

Off-side item...

And ferrets are cute :(
No offense intended to your choice in signatures and avatars, madam. I've just heard some awfully scary stuff (as in things I shouldn't post in this thread) about ferrets. Rather non-fun stuff, TBH. :ohnoes:

~D. V. Devnull

Almost every single member that has rejoined from being deleted after the rollback is being marked as TCE Member instead of the normal Chicken Feather rank. I am assuming this is just a configuration error.

(Just take a look at the last few pages of the memberlist.)

1.png
generic_signature.png

Almost every single member that has rejoined from being deleted after the rollback is being marked as TCE Member instead of the normal Chicken Feather rank. I am assuming this is just a configuration error.

It is worse than that... There are some being marked as "TCE Leader", "Tip.It Moderator", and "Tip.It Crew", just to name a few... You have to dig far enough to see them, but they're definitely scary. :ohnoes:

~Mr. D. V. Devnull

It is worse than that... There are some being marked as "TCE Leader", "Tip.It Moderator", and "Tip.It Crew", just to name a few... You have to dig far enough to see them, but they're definitely scary. :ohnoes:

~Mr. D. V. Devnull

You might have seen that while I was fixing it. I had to fix multiple ranks to get it to work properly. But now it should be okay. If not, please let me know which specific users have the incorrect rank so I can correct it.

And thank you SO much for letting me know Cowman! That was a crucial one!

Posted Image

<<<Quote Snip>>>

You might have seen that while I was fixing it. I had to fix multiple ranks to get it to work properly. But now it should be okay. If not, please let me know which specific users have the incorrect rank so I can correct it.

And thank you SO much for letting me know Cowman! That was a crucial one!

And it looks like you nailed it, square on, Tripsis... Nice job!!!!! :thumbsup:

BTW, I just found the next bug... The formatting tags, while editing... I know that Albosky would remember what it was like, prior to this whole mess. I liked being able to open and close when I chose, instead of just being thrown both tags. Also, I liked how several formats could be applied at any time to one given selection. Is there any way this particular functionality can be restored? :-s

~D. V. Devnull

[bTW, I just found the next bug... The formatting tags, while editing... I know that Albosky would remember what it was like, prior to this whole mess. I liked being able to open and close when I chose, instead of just being thrown both tags. Also, I liked how several formats could be applied at any time to one given selection. Is there any way this particular functionality can be restored? :-s

Yeah I liked that as well. Unfortunately that is not a question I can answer, nor a problem I can solve. So we will have to wait for one of our techies to check it out.. but as that is a cosmetic issue, it will not be at the top of their list of priorities. So hang tight.

Posted Image

BTW, I just found the next bug... The formatting tags, while editing... I know that Albosky would remember what it was like, prior to this whole mess. I liked being able to open and close when I chose, instead of just being thrown both tags. Also, I liked how several formats could be applied at any time to one given selection. Is there any way this particular functionality can be restored? :-s

Yeah I liked that as well. Unfortunately that is not a question I can answer, nor a problem I can solve. So we will have to wait for one of our techies to check it out.. but as that is a cosmetic issue, it will not be at the top of their list of priorities. So hang tight.

Alright....... However, would it really be called "cosmetic" as opposed to being an actual "functionality issue" with the forums, seeing as the mode of entry which I mentioned was in effect well prior to the forum crash? While I hate to argue semantics, and potentially priority, I felt this needed to be asked. :-k

(Just trying to make sure... :anxious: ...)

~D. V. Devnull

So hang tight.

I think those are more so the words you need to focus on. It is something that needs to be reviewed by the Techies of the staff. They are kinda busy atm :) They will get to it when they can. :geek:

Btw, I love when peoples say "hate to argue semantics". It's like saying.... I don't mean to interrupt. lolz

Not raggin on ya just saying thank you for pointing out the bug and it will be taken care of. :)

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

Alright....... However, would it really be called "cosmetic" as opposed to being an actual "functionality issue" with the forums, seeing as the mode of entry which I mentioned was in effect well prior to the forum crash? While I hate to argue semantics, and potentially priority, I felt this needed to be asked. :-k

(Just trying to make sure... :anxious: ...)

~D. V. Devnull

Thanks for explaining it to him, n_odie. D_V_Devnull - when I say "cosmetic," I mean it is not a necessity. We have much more important things to take care of first such as:

• [*:1x6w4g1k]Getting the Rune Tips logo set up again.

[*:1x6w4g1k]Fixing the Tip.it Events Team and Tip.it Clan Events rank avatars.

[*:1x6w4g1k]Installing more forum skins.

[*:1x6w4g1k]Get the Account Problem Reports and Ban Appeals system (
account_problem.php) up and running again.

[*:1x6w4g1k]etc. etc. etc.

You are still able to use the BBCode buttons and that is what matters. Once we get all of the super important stuff set up, then we can start looking at a few reasonable "cosmetic" changes.

Posted Image

Madam Tripsis, thank you for the quick clarification. Sorry for stirring the beehive. :cry:

(BTW, I liked the PhpBB2 "Cry" emote better. :geek: ...)

~D. V. Devnull