Pokemon Thread

PoorLepRecon

How many games is the series at now, 12? (Red, Blue, Yellow; Gold, Silver, Crystal; Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald; LG, FR [Was there a Blue?]; Diamond, Pearl, Platinum. That's actually 14-15) If that isn't milking the series, I don't know what is.

Anyways, I stopped playing the games after G/S/C because I didn't want to continue on and I just became uninterested. Now, since I'm pretty sure anything past R/S/E is DS, I can't get back in, because I don't really feel like buying a DS just for Pokemon (Although I can think of a few games, I don't think I would actually play it all that much). This thread HAS made me consider trying to make some teams with just the first two generations of the series. Also, what exactly is chaining?

Actually, after seeing that the DS is only $130, the idea intrigues me. I think I will be making a thread for myself.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

How many games is the series at now, 12? (Red, Blue, Yellow; Gold, Silver, Crystal; Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald; LG, FR [Was there a Blue?]; Diamond, Pearl, Platinum. That's actually 14-15) If that isn't milking the series, I don't know what is.

Anyways, I stopped playing the games after G/S/C because I didn't want to continue on and I just became uninterested. Now, since I'm pretty sure anything past R/S/E is DS, I can't get back in, because I don't really feel like buying a DS just for Pokemon (Although I can think of a few games, I don't think I would actually play it all that much). This thread HAS made me consider trying to make some teams with just the first two generations of the series. Also, what exactly is chaining?

Actually, after seeing that the DS is only $130, the idea intrigues me. I think I will be making a thread for myself.

The DS is very useful for long car trips. Just get a few games and you'll be entertained for hours on them. I don't play mine much when it is just sitting at home, I don't really think about it. Though I have played a bit of Contra 4 lately, since I just bought it used for 17 bucks :D (Gamestop rocks)

Chaining is a way to greatly increase your odds of getting a shiny pokemon. It takes your odds from like 1/8000 (not sure the exact number) to about 1/200.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

Chaining is something you can do in Diamond and Pearl. Later on in the game you get something called a Pokeradar. With the Pokeradar, you can find rare Pokemon in grassy areas, some Pokemon can only be found via the Pokeradar. When you use the Pokeradar, some of the grass patches will shake, which is where some Pokemon are for sure. If you faint or capture a Pokemon from the grassy patch, you start something called a chain. After the encounter, some more grassy patches will shake, and you can go to the next patch. Hopefully, you will encounter the same Pokemon species, and if you faint or capture it, you can continue on; looking for the same species.

The special thing about the radar is that it increases the chances of running into a shiny Pokemon. The optimal chain is 40, where, as kcdragon said, your chances become 1/200 instead of 1/8192. The best way is to stock up on repels (Like 500 of them :P) and attempt to get a chain of 40, then you reset the radar until a shiny patch appears.

If you don't know about shiny Pokemon, they're just an alternate color and they shimmer when you engage in a battle. Chaining is one of the things you can do post game.

Having had 2 holidays this year, (took up too much of my summer), i got bored in the evenings and so one night decided to pick up my gameboy sp and start again on pokemon saphire. i quickly got hooked, and before i knew it on the first night i had already done 5 gyms, and had 3 successful pokemon. (I always choose mudkip at the start, mainly because you can blast through the first couple of gyms easy, and once it evolves to swampert it gets huuuuuuuge HP lol). Over the evenings i got progressively better, did more gyms, and got 6 pokemon. After Playing around 30 hours overall, after 2 weeks, i had 6 pokemon, all between lvl 45 - 47. I challenged the elite four + champion.

I kept getting stuck on the first guy with his shiftry, as it kept using double team all the time, so its evasion was sky high, so i kept missing all the time. But eventually i went throught to the ghost woman. She was easy. The ice i struggled as i had a few rock, ground and grass pokemon. But just scraped through with 1 pokemon left, with 30 HP.. .. ..too close lol. The last guy, the dragon tamer, was easy, my flygon pwned all without worry. The champion, now there was the challenge. Having saved it before i walked in, it took me 6 attempts to beat him! His skarmory was easy, one "Thunder" from my magneton killed it instantly without a crit. hit. But the next one, Cradily, now stands as my arch enemy. At the level the champion has it, it has over 250HP and has few weaknesses. Unfortunately for me, the one thing that was super effective, cradily had a very powerful move that was super effective against me. This took a number of tries, but was done eventually, (Thank god for revives). Armaldo was a breeze thanks to its very low speed, and high speed of my Breloom. Claydol was easy with swampert, one muddy water pretty much killed it. Same with Aggron. The metagross proved easy, but took a while as he kept on using full restore over and over. But none the less i did it.

Having played another 40 hours worth after that, (trust me, i get bored in the evening) i have 6 pokemon that are all lvl 61 - 65. They are the following:

Swampert : Level 62

Breloom : Level 61

Flygon : Level 62

Magneton : Level 64

Metagross : Level 61

Golduck : Level 65

To be honest i have never done this well on it before, it is an unbeatable combo, and i now use the elite 4 + champion for easy training XD (not to brag lol). I dont really want to get them to level 100 because that will take way too much time, and tbh i think ive spent too much time on it at the moment :?

Smashing Pumpkins Fan? Check out my sticky! ~ CYB Worthy viewtopic.php?f=77&t=759663

lol123et5.jpg

sibmaster93.png

I'm restarting my Crystal version, but to make it a challenge, I'm going to play it "Hardcore". If a Pokemon faints, I have to release it. Was going to mix in a challenge called Limited Items, but it would have made the Elite Four near impossible, and would require too much preparation for my liking.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

It's experience.

I know Pokemon become better when they evolve, but I love my bulbasaur and other evoluitions are ugly, will this hinder me?

28u7f5g.jpg

danke Schon Sam!^^

"Blood runs thicker, oh were thick as thieves you know"

-Carl Barât

Hey guys. I don't visit these forums too often anymore, seeing as I'm taking a break from RS. I actually have a new team on Pokemon Diamond though, and if you want to battle me sometime, drop me a PM. I still check occasionally.

By the way, I play by Standard Rules...

No Ubers

Sleep Clause (You can not use a sleep inducing move if you've already put a Pokemon to sleep. Rest does not count.)

Species Clause (You can't use two Pokemon with the same Pokedex #)

Evasion / OHKO Clause (You can not use Minimize, Double Team, Sheer Cold, Fissure, Horn Drill, or Guillotine)

I know Pokemon become better when they evolve, but I love my bulbasaur and other evoluitions are ugly, will this hinder me?

An un-evolved Pokemon learns moves faster than it's evolved version, sometimes you will get moves exclusive to an evolved version (Sometimes exclusive to the un-evolved version), and you stats will be reduced (Not sure whether it's just an initial boost, or whether each level you gain extra stats).

It's experience.

An un-evolved Pokemon learns moves faster than it's evolved version, sometimes you will get moves exclusive to an evolved version (Sometimes exclusive to the un-evolved version), and you stats will be reduced (Not sure whether it's just an initial boost, or whether each level you gain extra stats).

About the stats, unevolved Pokemon have lower base stats.

Here are the base stats for Bulbasaur and it's evolutions, as an example.

Bulbasaur

45 HP

49 Attack

49 Defense

65 Sp.Attack

65 Sp.Defense

45 Speed

Ivysaur

60 HP

62 Attack

63 Defense

80 Sp.Attack

80 Sp.Defense

60 Speed

Venesaur

80 HP

82 Attack

83 Defense

100 Sp.Attack

100 Sp.Defense

80 Speed

[hide=]

About the stats, unevolved Pokemon have lower base stats.

Here are the base stats for Bulbasaur and it's evolutions, as an example.

Bulbasaur

45 HP

49 Attack

49 Defense

65 Sp.Attack

65 Sp.Defense

45 Speed

Ivysaur

60 HP

62 Attack

63 Defense

80 Sp.Attack

80 Sp.Defense

60 Speed

Venesaur

80 HP

82 Attack

83 Defense

100 Sp.Attack

100 Sp.Defense

80 Speed[/hide]

Something I never really got about base stats: will your Pokemon have those stats at a minimum, regardless of level, or are those the stats they will have, excepting EV's, at level 100? I remember reading somewhere that if you just got a Pokemon to 100 with Rare Candies you'd have the base stats.

For an update on my progress of going through Crystal releasing any Pokemon that faint: 7 Badges, 22 hours played, 55/129 Pokedex; all 4 ruins of Alph puzzles completed; on my way to defeating Team Rocket; HM's 1-6 collected. Only a Ghastly has been released, and even then only because I forgot Growlithe knew Bite. My basic strategy is the opponent can't attack if they're asleep 8-) Unfortunately I haven't actually replaced that Ghastly I lost in Goldenrod City, so I'm only using a Noctowl and Poliwag for sleep. The other 4 Pokemon in my party are Feraligatr, Graveler, and two slaves for Strength, Fly, Flash and Rock Smash (I don't want to teach Fly to my Noctowl yet, haven't decided on the moveset). I also need a Pokemon that can learn Flash and Cut before I'm teaching Noctowl Fly.

Can I also get a better explanation of the sleep clause? Does that mean I can only use Hypnosis or another similar move to put a Pokemon to sleep if that is the first time they have been put asleep? I know this only applies to PvP battles.

It's experience.

Something I never really got about base stats: will your Pokemon have those stats at a minimum, regardless of level, or are those the stats they will have, excepting EV's, at level 100? I remember reading somewhere that if you just got a Pokemon to 100 with Rare Candies you'd have the base stats.

Can I also get a better explanation of the sleep clause? Does that mean I can only use Hypnosis or another similar move to put a Pokemon to sleep if that is the first time they have been put asleep? I know this only applies to PvP battles.

Base stats are a value between 1 and 255, which influence a Pokemon's stats at certain levels. It's really just a number that's part of a formula. A Pokemon at level 50 will have +5 added to the base stat, except for HP. HP is +10 to the base stat. (At level 50.) Base stats disregard IV's, EV's and Natures.

The formula for calculating stats is;

Hit Points:

( (IV + 2 * BaseStat + (EV/4) ) * Level/100 ) + 10 + Level

Attack, Defense, Speed, Sp. Attack, Sp. Defense:

(((IV + 2 * BaseStat + (EV/4) ) * Level/100 ) + 5) * Nature Value

If you used Rare Candies, you miss out on EV's.

For the Sleep Clause, it means that you can not induce sleep on more than one of your opponent's Pokemon. This is to prevent battles from becoming a rush to put your opponent's Pokemon to sleep.

For the Sleep Clause, it means that you can not induce sleep on more than one of your opponent's Pokemon. This is to prevent battles from becoming a rush to put your opponent's Pokemon to sleep.

There goes half my future strategy. I guess I'll have to stick with Rest+Snore/Sleep Talk combos. There best not be any limitations to use of Rest.

It's experience.

There goes half my future strategy. I guess I'll have to stick with Rest+Snore/Sleep Talk combos. There best not be any limitations to use of Rest.

There aren't.

If you do make a team, fight me some time... I'd love to get more testing for my team. :D

There aren't.

If you do make a team, fight me some time... I'd love to get more testing for my team. :D

I'm lacking a DS.

It's experience.

Rate my new team on LG? ;)

Bulbasaur: Leech Seed, Secret Power, Sleep Powder, Razor Leaf.

Golbat: Hyper Beam, Air Cutter, Giga Drain, Confuse Ray.

Dragonair: Rest, Thunder Wave, Iron Tail, Shock Wave.

Onix: Rock Slide, Dig, Iron Tail, Sandstorm.

Tentacruel: Bubblebeam, Water Pulse, Ice Beam, Secret Power.

Hitmonchan: Thunder Punch, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Brick Break.

28u7f5g.jpg

danke Schon Sam!^^

-Carl Barât

Facepalm / 10? :wall:

I might be wrong since I last actively played those games like 10 years ago... But aren't pretty much a lot of those moves like shockwave quite crappy :oops: (Not as an insult, but just wondering)

I just bought Pokemon Diamond (for $19...brand new :o), and I'm only just starting. I started out with a Chimchar, and I've got a couple of other starter pokemon I caught just outside of Twinleaf.

Looks to be a cool game! I wish I had Wi-fi though. :evil:

The+Adaminator.png

69827172ou0.jpg

I might be wrong since I last actively played those games like 10 years ago... But aren't pretty much a lot of those moves like shockwave quite crappy :oops: (Not as an insult, but just wondering)

Ya. Can't get thunderbolt yet, no luck at slots.

28u7f5g.jpg

danke Schon Sam!^^

-Carl Barât

They're useful for catching Pokemon if you don't have sleep. Paralysis and burns also lower stats as well, paralysis lowers speed by 25% and burns lower attack by 50%. Lowering stats is always useful, and can make some Pokemon a little less scary :P.