Your favorite book/book series

IeatWindex

Tell me someone here besides Dadieseldude and I reads Pendragon. Ninth book just came out last month, second to last in the series. I'm going to have a hard time getting it out of my head for a while.

Wow, I read Pendragon years and years ago. I remember Black Water coming out, and buying it and reading it, but I never read any of them after that. I didn't even realize he was still writing them. To be honest, I can't even remember what the books are about, but I did enjoy reading them way back when.

Right now I'm on the 2nd of the 6 book Dune series. I didn't find the first book as amazing as everyone claims it to be, but I did enjoy it. I'm half way through the second and it's not really keeping my interest. Right now I'm debating whether or not to read anymore after this one. Maybe I'll have a better idea once I get through the book. Anyone ever read the Dune books?

Combat FTL

Combat_FTL.png

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh my favortie book at the moment would be the first book in the series: Twilight. I JUST LOVE IT! Thriller, drama, suspense. I wish I could find somebody who liked it too. Most people don't like that book or have never heard of it. I got interested when some of my friends told me its was pretty awesome. But I can't wait to get other books in the twilight series.

Music_In_Me4 Formally known as hsuth111 on TIF. The jerk who wiped out the boards can never stop us from being the most imaginative and creative people we all are.

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.

I hate reading.. and I suck at reading.. finished it in 2 days (which is like super fast for me)

AMAZING story. About a lil girl who got raped and killed.. she's looking down from heaven ... seeing how her own family + friends fell apart.. piece back together.. etc... and the fate of her killer..

Lilcutiepie

RSC 119

2001-2005

Hope this doesn't count as bad language but;

Stephen Clarke's "Merde" series atm. i've read A Year In The Merde and almost finished Merde Happens, going to read the others next.

Love Joe Simpson's books too. :mrgreen:

logo.jpg

Went to the library an picked up the first Demonata book by Darren Shan and The Last Knight by a person. I dont feel like getting up and checking the author :D

Harry Potter and the Deatly Hallows ending was sorta a "knew it would happen ending". Ill tag my spoiler,

[hide=]I wanted Harry and Voldy to both die. Harry surviving made things less suspensful.[/hide]

GG.gif

Bah, I went and forgot about tons of stuff that I read and enjoy. The Bartimaeus Trilogy, His Dark Materials, The entire Star Wars EU, LOTR, Harry Potter, Castaways of the Flying Dutchman + The Angel's Command, the Redwall books, The Dragonlance Chronicles, A Series of Unfortunate Events, the Inkheart books were okay, the Chronicles of Narnia, The Wind on Fire Trilogy. . .

I just picked up the first four books of The Wheel of Time. I'm getting into the first one, it is very good :D .

p2gq.jpg

My favourite book would have to be Peter Pan, by J.M. Barrie.

My favourite series has a three way tie between the Shannara Series, the Belgariad, and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

I favor medieval fiction over anything.

naturenf7.jpg

|Signature by Jason321|

Favorite Book (at the moment, probably going to change within the week): Consider Phlebas by Iain Banks

Favorite series: Tie between LOTR and The Culture

Favorite Genre: Sci-Fi and Fantasy

The Culture series is a sci-fi series, that details the various happenings of The Culture, a massive post-scarcity empire. It's a really awesome series to read if you're into spacey stuff.

I hope I don't need to explain how LOTR goes..

I await the next book in the Inheritance Cycle, and the next Artemis Fowl book. Those are my two favorite series. I don't have a particular favorite book though.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

My favourite series is, far and away, the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. It's amazing fantasy, and keeps being awesome through twelve books - what more could you want? I loved every minute of it.

*wonders if the old rule went away*...+1...*gets banned*

But seriously, that series was absolutely amazing. Almost couldn't put it down (phantom and confessor killed me because I wanted to know how the book ended, but neither of them were out yet).

What sucked about reading the series was I started at book 6 (Faith of the Fallen), because I got it as a Christmas present from my unknowing grandparents. Although the book did decent as a standalone, it was rather confusing at times due to lack of background, but I couldn't wait to read the rest, even if I had to go back 5 books, and reread the sixth. 12 books did get a bit expensive, but it was worth it.

My favorite standalone book...Hmm...Hmm, I tend to stick with series, but I guess it would be "Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe" by Bill Bryson, which is a rather comical journal of a the author's journey through Europe. Most other books by him are pretty good. For historical non-fiction (I think), The Last of the Wine was a great book, which went through the life of a boy in Ancient Greece. Good book because it taught a bit of history in a non-boring way.

Definately have to watch this thread, I've been looking for some new books to read.

[hide=Funny Quotes]

So you sucker punched a kid in the back of the head? Good job.
What scares me is that you're like 10 years old.
-.- im not that freaking young
You were a couple years ago.
It's not racist if its true.
Hmm... I wonder how one goes about throwing someone out a window in a mystic fashion :-k

The mental image for that is freaking awesome.

[/hide]

- I dont need to "get a life." I'm a gamer - I have LOTS of lives!

My favorite book is Dune, by Frank Herbert. I've read some of the rest of the series, but Dune is really the only one that I think is good enough to be my favorite book.

2w3uule.png

2w726iv.png

you know there is a place called outside, better graphics 100% pvp and no fee to play :-w

Bah, I went and forgot about tons of stuff that I read and enjoy. The Bartimaeus Trilogy, His Dark Materials, The entire Star Wars EU, LOTR, Harry Potter, Castaways of the Flying Dutchman + The Angel's Command, the Redwall books, The Dragonlance Chronicles, A Series of Unfortunate Events, the Inkheart books were okay, the Chronicles of Narnia, The Wind on Fire Trilogy. . .

I just picked up the first four books of The Wheel of Time. I'm getting into the first one, it is very good :D .

I love all those books too! ;D Except I never got through the Inkheart. I read like the first chapter of the first book and didn't really get into it.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I haven't had a chance to read anything but scholarly texts in a long time.

However, my favorites back in the long lost time when I had a chance to read were Tolkien, Lewis, and Lovecraft. I also enjoyed the odd Tom Clancy and enjoyed the Left Behind series (although I wish they would have left it off at Earth's end, because there's no real way to know what New Jerusalem would be like, and it just made it sound cheesy Baptist sounding. Which it very well could have been, but I would have loved to have left it to imagination :P).

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

I do a LOT of reading. I generally get through at least two books per month (thanks to long commutes to work each day). So I can't possibly pick an overall favourite novel.

My favourite genre is science fiction though, which accounts for the vast majority of books that I read.

My favourite books and authors in no particular order;

Honor Harrington series (hence my character name) - written by David Weber

Starfire series - written by David Weber

Destiny's Children series - written by Steven Baxtor

Nights Dawn trilogy - written by Peter F Hamilton

March To series - written by David Weber

Sten series - written by Chris Bunch and Allan Cole

Mars series - written by Kim Stanley Robinson

Xeelee sequence - written by Steven Baxtor

World War series - written by Harry Turtledove (the first four, the rest were crap)

There's loads more, but those are the ones that jump to mind.

Harrington.gif

Well, as always, the Discworld series is at the top of my list. Terry Pratchett is the avatar of the god Win.

Followed by the Bartimaeus Trilogy, Jonathan Stroud.

Then we're tied up in the middle of King and Garth Nix. I love all of King's works, same with Nix's, out of the ones I have read, anyway.

Favourite stand-alone book... ? 3-way tie.

Making Money - Pratchett (Alzheimers' hasn't slown this beast down, or reduced the quality of his work)

Shade's Children - Nix (Still hoping for a sequel, or perhaps a prequel, hell even just another viewpoint!)

Tommyknockers - King (Brr... creepy)

And I'm quite fond of Tom Clancy, and Peter Straub, to lesser extents.

Plus, there's many one-hit wonder cheapjack horror/crime novels for 1 buck for a dozen in those little stores. Diamonds in the rough. <3

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Favorite book: The Andromeda Strain, Michael Chricton. A mysterious virus spreads through a small town [a fictional one] in Utah, killing many. Five scientists are assigned to stop the virus from killing many more.

Favorite series: Any good Sci-Fi.

Favorite genre: Sci-Fi.

[English translation needed]

Favorite book: The Andromeda Strain, Michael Chricton. A mysterious virus spreads through a small town [a fictional one] in Utah, killing many. Five scientists are assigned to stop the virus from killing many more.

Oh, I remember reading that in 7th grade. It was great. The new miniseries on A&E is really far from the mark, though. [hide=]Something about time travel and it coming from the ocean, I think :|[/hide]

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

As for favourite series I'd probably have to go with Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time.

Boo-Yah.

Oh, how many summer days and nights I have spent in almost every position you can think of, trying to stay comfortable while I read those books. The series is just too addicting.

Incredibly unfortunate that Jordan died before he could write the final book :cry:

Atleast he left very detailed notes on what he wanted, because he was expecting his death. His wife and I think also the publisher/editor/someone else are trying to find someone to finish the book, although I have a feeling that it will not be to the quality anyone who has read the series has come to love.

I remember that I had stayed up until 6 am once, typing up a post on the series, only accidentily click outside the text box, and then press backspace. Bye, bye, 2 hours (atleast) of work. You could say I was mad. Now I know better, and whenever I type something that takes more than 15 minutes to complete, I save to notepad.

On top of the Wheel of Time, here is a list of my favourite books, and why they are my favourite:

• [*:1d7tr4jj]The Amber Spyglass (Phillup Pullman) - I see me reading this book as a turning point in my life, or basically when I really started to mature. It taught me the meaning of love, life and just general feeling. I re-read the series His Dark Materials (Amber Spyglass being the final in the trilogy) every summer up at my cottage, because that is where and when I first read the book. First book to ever make me cry. I cannot really give the plot without revealing key points in the previous books.

[*:1d7tr4jj]The Rule of Four (Ian Caldwell, Dustin Thompson) - A very intriguing book. I see this book as the one that taught me to question everything. Planning on re-reading this this summer at my cottage for the same reasons as the Amber Spyglass. Follows an undergraduate at Princeton, who's friend and roomate is writing a thesis on the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili, an incredibly long book about a monk in his search for love. The Hypnerotomachia, as described in the novel, is an extremely lengthy story of a man in his search for his love. The thesis explores deciphering the book in order to solve its mystery. The Hypnerotomachia is a real book.

[*:1d7tr4jj]Noughts & Crosses (Malorie Blackman) - A cool flip of the roles in racism, giving me a perspective I can relate to on how it is to receive it. Taught me to hate. The book is set in the near future, with only minor technological advancements. The roles of blacks and whites are flipped, but there is quite a bit of racism. The world is highly segregated, with different hospitals for blacks and whites. Blacks are the upper class, while whites are the lower. Whites are referred to as Noughts, blacks Crosses. Persephone Hadley is the daughter of an important politician and a Cross, while Callum McGregor, two years older, is a poor Nought. They are connected through Callum's mother, who babysat Sephy (Persephone). They remain friends, and this escalates, creating a Romeo and Juliet situation. Other events, mostly related to Liberation Militia (A terrorist group supporting the equal-rights of Noughts), due to the involvement of Callum's brother and father in the underground organization.

[*:1d7tr4jj]Run (Eric Walters) - A historical fiction about Terry Fox, in which a troubled boy follows Terry on his run because of his reporter father. Another book that made me cry at the end. I am not sure what this book taught me, but it made Terry fox my idol.

[*:1d7tr4jj]House of the Scorpion (Nancy Farmer) - A science fiction book taking place in the future, about a boy named Matt, who is a clone of a very powerful drug lord in what is today Mexico. This is what introduced me to science and gave me my love for it.

[*:1d7tr4jj]The Inheritence Cycle (Christopher Paolini) - The only book/series I love that hasn't taught me something, this series is just awesome. Basically a boy in the typical medivel world finds a dragon egg, which is something special because of the Dragon Riders, an order of protectors who well, rode dragons. The dragon would choose them, not hatching until they found the person they saw fit. The egg hatched for the boy (Eragon). The Dragon Riders are all but extinct, with the only known Rider left ruling the kingdom known as the Empire, where Eragon lives (Eragon lives in a fairly remote village, so the presence of the last Rider is not felt). This last Rider (Gallbatorix) is corrupt, and he is the one who, along with several corrupt Riders, killed off the other Riders. Gallbatorix is an oppressive ruler, so Eragon begins a journey to join the Varden, a rebel force against Gallbatorix. A Rider has a special bond with their dragon, allowing them to telepathically communicate, the Rider's physical capabilities are enhanced greatly, their life becomes extremely long (from decades to centuries long), and they gain the ability to cast magic. Can't wait for Brisingr, the third book in the series.

I love the books I do because of what they have done for me, and contributed to my personality. I doubt I will ever forget them, and I will always try to re-read them. The list is somewhat in order.

Books I enjoyed include Firewing, A Series of Unfortunate Events, Bartimaeus, Inkheart, and the Chronicles of Narnia. I should finish those series.

EDIT: I need to start reading again, I went on a sort of hiatus because of school and such, only really read when I had to for school.

EDIT2: Forgot about the Pendragon Series! I've loved all of the ones I read, #1-3,5. Yes, I skipped 4 because I had gotten 5 for Christmas, and after a year of thinking I'm going to go out and get/borrow 4, I decided to hell with it and read the 5th. Turns out I didn't miss anything all that important. I do want to read the others though.

Summer reading list:

• [*:1d7tr4jj]As many Wheel of Time books as possible (9-whatever is out right now, I think the series is up to about 12)

[*:1d7tr4jj]His Dark Materials

[*:1d7tr4jj]Any Pendragon books I haven't read (4, 6-9)

[*:1d7tr4jj]The second and third Inkheart books

[*:1d7tr4jj]The Rule of Four

[*:1d7tr4jj]Noughts & Crosses (The series, not just the book)

[*:1d7tr4jj]House of the Scorpion

I'm also trying to remmeber the name of a book about a man who can see ghosts, like Elvis, and he tries to solve crimes or something. I have a feeling "Thomas" or "Tom" is in the title.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

My favorite book series is the Harry Potter series. Im sure everyone knows the plot.

For anybody who doesn't. He dies in the end. Painfully, and slowly.

My favourite series is the dark tower series and I have only read up to "Wizard and Glass" which I believe is 5/7. Or maybe 4/7. The Narnia books pwned when I was young, really got me into reading and readin tought me too spelle reallye welle.

And if you do all you can, that's all you can ever do. - Warren Rudman

But men are men; the best sometimes forget. - William Shakespeare

6bveg5y.jpg

By far the best series (actualy its more like 2) are the Belgariad and the Maloreon. They are 2 sub series since they both have there own major plot and conclusion but are actualy about all the same people and have a continues grand overplot. Each one is 5 books and each book is about 300 pg at least (I think). Long books/series is also important to me becvause I read to fast. Just awsome books. I have a great preferance for fantasy or science fiction to a point where I rarely read anything else.

Other series of note: The shadow children series is one of the best I have read.

Also Garth Nix's Sabriel, Lirael, and abhorsen are probably my second favorite. 3rd favorite would have to be Philip Paulmans "His Dark Materials" (ie the golden compas, the subtile knife, and the amber spyglass).

*inheritance books

*scarecrow series, contest, 7AncientWonders/6SacredStones - matthew rilley

*harry potter

*Artemis fowl

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

My favourite author is Louis Couperus, Dutch writer from the early 1900s. Pretty much anything he wrote is my favourite.

Favourite series would have to be Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings (though I don't look on that one as a series, really).

Right now, I'm reading "Carter Beats the Devil" by Glen David Gold. Good stuff.