My new laptop

Music_In_Me4

Also, Vista is terrible. I hate running it and if I had the money, I would buy a copy of XP as quickly as possible.. Sadly I'm broke :(

People will download MP3's and hurt artists with no remorse, but would pay $hundreds of dollars for an operating system made by a company that has hundreds of billions of dollars in capital, even though both are just as easy to D/L. Always baffles me.

But yes, XP is overall better than Vista if you compare the features.. I still have Vista on my tabletop computer, it's not that great at all. I especially hate how just running the OS takes your graphics card power and plenty, plenty of RAM.

RAM is cheap, and graphics cards aren't too expensive either.. The 4 gigs of RAM and my 8800 GT 1gig graphics card in my computer cost about $260. To get a Mac with any decent capabilities, you have to pay at least $1000, and my Vista computer with a 5.9 - 5.1 - 5.9 - 5.9 - 5.9 WEI cost $1200 and never has any lag problems (Except for when I accidentally opened about 350 8-megapixel pictures at once.. In separate windows.. #-o ) But any computer except the absolute best would have crashed to that..

And about the RAM usage: Vista makes the most out of your RAM by caching things in it even when they aren't being used, and makes its best guess as to what programs you'll use and when, so you spend the least time possible waiting for programs to cache themselves in the RAM. Vista has something in all but a few megs of my 4 gigs of ram at all times, and I never notice any performance slowdowns because of it.

And about the MP3 downloading: Lots of people at my school actually think it's legal because file-sharing programs themselves are technically legal. :? (It's very illegal, actually.) OS downloading, on the other hand, is obviously illegal to anyone.

And Vista has substantially more features than XP, actually. I like it a lot more, to be honest. (But if I didn't have the hardware to run it smoothly, I would definitely choose XP, though.)

I once shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.
Pics or it didn't happen.
I hate my generation.

I have created a thread so we don't go off-topic anymore here. viewtopic.php?f=45&t=745073
Thank you very much Connorb. I really didn't want to start a war on better systems. I just wanted to see if anybody wanted to comment on their laptop and give me some advice on what do with mine if they've read info on it.

Music_In_Me4 Formally known as hsuth111 on TIF. The jerk who wiped out the boards can never stop us from being the most imaginative and creative people we all are.

Laptops can last a while.. My mom's 5-year-old laptop with an Athlon XP 1800+, XP Home and 512mb of memory still works perfectly, except for the battery (which is completely dead)..

And her Windows 95 laptop doesn't have any problems either. 200mhz Pentium anyone? :lol:

hah. I've got a 11 year old desktop running 64 meg ram and a 333mhz AMD K6 which still runs. Its using windows 98 SE and I still use it from time to time when I fancy playing some really old DoS games.

Commander Keen anybody?

Tk5SF.png

Mighty Mouse is a double click. It detects which side you click, it doesn't have to have two separate buttons.

That does sound annoying though. However, you can use any USB mouses so it doesn't matter.

Mac is in no way the "stupid" person's computer as someone who doesn't know about computers would buy a £1,200 iMac for example now would they?

I'd think that they would, consider they are a. overpaying on hardware and b. paying for something they can't upgrade.

Mac's are the standard for companies and media work (graphic, video editing, audio editing etc) You will see more and more macs in the future.

Not really, even though apple would like you to think that. A lot of graphic editing that directly relates to fields like game design are done on PC's (obviously) and at least in the company I work in (doing web design) we use PC's as well. That being said there is nothing a mac can do for the graphic design industry that a windows based PC can't do. I'd go as far to say "linux" as well, although I believe it is limited for photoshop.

Vista is not the best, and Microsoft are bringing out Windows 7 which is basically the exact same as Vista with a few upgrades.

So what, you'd want them to just bog down an OS with more features? Lepord wasn't that different than OS X, and had some nasty bugs as well. In reality it really was just a graphical upgrade with a few features.

FYI apple is working on a new OS as well, from what I understand. I doubt it'll be much different.

Actually mac's where the first PC's (If you count as DOS as a PC then its Windows) and the original mouse was one click so it isn't standard for a two button click mouse.

Actually I believe it was a printing company that had the first PC, but I can't for the life of me remember which. Also DOS is very much an OS, just not with a GUI.

Final Cut Pro is THE BEST video editing program. It may be a huge program (60 gig) but it is worth it. Anyway "rant" over onto the topic!

Subjective. I know a lot who use Sony vegas pro or Adobe after effects.

Sorry, I really don't want to get involved in this MAC VS WINDOWZ [cabbage] but some of this was just nonsense. Either way get a mac if you wish, but just remember that it is limited to what you can upgrade. As far as Macbooks go they honestly aren't bad (maybe a bit expensive, I dunno) but thats just because you aren't upgrading a laptop anyways.

And it is true (from what I've heard at least) that mac's user base is growing, but its not like its any sort of threat. Most just want the computability with windows and Direct X.

Yeah, laptops are awesome :D I got one too:

http://blog.pricegrabber.com/blogbytes/ ... -m1530.jpg

XPS-M1530 is nice :)

Yeah, they are pretty nice. So expensive though, I think it'd cost like $3,000-$4,000 to mimic my $1,000 PC. (which most parts save for the video card were bought a year ago, so its closer to $800 today. This is including OS though, without its like $700). Hell, I don't even think a laptop can go up against a 2.7ghz dual core, 9600GT and 3Gb of ram. 8-)

It'd kick the crap out of my 2.4ghz dual core, 8500GT and 2Gb of ram. I'm still waiting on that damn paycheck. My mom has to complete some contract today though, and I get paid $10/hr and none of it is taxed either. I only have $120 anyways, so I'm waiting on that check so I can get a 9600GT.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

You could put 2 Laptops both running on 2-3GB ram up against my desktop and i'll still win. The only advantage they hold is if there were a huge explosion they could get up and take their computer easier then i could.

Nadril, its tireless....you just can win against them. They refuse to see the light.

I've owned all kinds of Toshiba, Sony, and Dell laptops. Wouldn't trade my desktop for a laptop any day of the week.

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg